Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

ZeppMan217

Impossible Brawl missions

ZeppMan217    365

ban.thumb.png.6ecb11fc29708b285391888daa0f62f8.png

1st mission, "Faction Battle", Day 1 Rook Brawl. You start with a drone (it did 5 damage to the Kradeshi and died at the end of turn 2). You have to deal over a 100 damage to make all of the enemies panic, not accounting for Kradeshi regeneration, Shroke armor, and defensive class abilities. The pamphleteer periodically applies Defect to you (makes you take double damage).

This is impossible. For comparison, Day 1 rescue and intimidate missions have either only one enemy or an enemy and a drone.

ZeppMan217    365

2.thumb.png.ac76fedce720e2504cbe9f9e67b9f4a4.png

Here's another example of the same Day 1 "Faction Battle" mission. Notice how there are only 2 enemies that require a combined total of 60 HP damage to make em panic.

sjp    8

Quest power levels will definitely be balanced and fleshed out before release, but I like the idea that difficult-but-winnable scenarios can appear at lower odds as early missions, like the second one you posted. Maybe having the option to concede any fight/negotiation could be something to consider adding in brawls, along with some kind of penalty mechanism depending on the mission. Imagine whole factions hating you for conceding faction battles, having murder for hire targets join future quests with a vengeance to kill you, prying for intel attempts to learn what kind of deck you're using and the next couple negotiations directly counter it, etc. Fun!

ZeppMan217    365

You can concede some of the missions already, just like in the campaign. Doing so fails the mission so you don't get any money, plus garbage is added to your decks.
Considering that you can go from full HP to dead in a single mission already, I fail to see the need for any more benders. If anything, Rook needs more crutches: his starter cards require more XP to level up than Sal's, offer lower stats and inferior upgrades.

ZeppMan217    365

1465207353_5kill.thumb.png.576e15b3aeb2422fa13eeaac8399639f.png

Day 5, Kill mission. I couldn't get any allies because I got the healing event, meaning that I wasn't allowed to visit the tavern. If you look at the numbers on enemies it might become apparent that even with help this fight is practically impossible: all enemies gain 24 armor every turn, Armor Break is applied to you every other turn (your Defense gain if halved), spear dudes use taunt and counterattack every other turn (can't target anyone but them), sword dudes cast power up on everyone every other turn.
Combined, enemies have 387 HP, more than the final day 4 boss.

sjp    8

That definitely has to be an impossible fight for Rook to win, but again, why not allow any fight/negotiation to be concedable in brawls? There're a lot of ways to balance fights: bar runs to hire help, like you mentioned; guaranteed suitably-leveled ally when faced against two more than your current party, like Mech Survivals; extra panic based on how many characters you've killed before or how many of those reputation status cards you've accumulated; ability to run away from any fight; etc. Balancing is tough work! I just don't like trivialization of skirmishes, seeing how broken you can become in the game.

So speaking of trivial, the current penalties (AFAIK) for conceding skirmishes are: a beating on turn 3, no money reward, and a negotiation status card (4-cost card that negates your hostility damage or the card that takes 4 EXP from your hand). I feel that these aren't very punishing and don't scale well, either. The card that takes away card experience doesn't even affect fully leveled cards and gets destroyed anyway. As far as losing out on 100 shills, idk, it can hurt early game I guess? Not getting 100 shill sucks, but it feels worse completing a Prying for Intel quest, then getting restore HP/resolve twice when full on both and an item card that I don't want. I like challenges, and if I need to back away and concede, I want to feel it more than how it punches now, because at the moment it feels more like a tickle IMO.

e: OK, found a pretty big hurt when conceding a fight: your pets get left behind when you run. nooo how dare me!! That's pretty good (balance-wise), but I still feel it needs a bit more.

pacovf    915

The game is balanced around the idea that you complete all quests. Missing out on the quest reward (money, improved relationship with one NPC, and whatever additional quest reward) is a *huge* deal in the early game. This is on top of the missed card draft and the “coward” card, which is extremely painful unless you’re ignoring hostility cards, and you have to be able to survive 3 turns of the battle to begin with (not a given, for fights you want to run away from!). Plus the pet thing, which makes no sense to me as penalty, on multiple levels. There are definitely enough drawbacks for running away already. You’re not finishing your run if you’re doing it more than a couple of times.

ZeppMan217    365

No picture this time but the principle is the same: Sal, day 3, first mission "Faction Battle", I get a drone while facing 3 Spree and a flead. I killed the flead on turn 1, the drone died on turn 2, I died a few turns later because each enemy does 15 damage a turn and there are 3 of em. I had a stun, good blocks, good attacks, some AOE. It's stupid and makes me not wanna play Brawl.

ZeppMan217    365

2061072234_.thumb.png.ae5706e234cafd7ab9f136e216bced6e.png

Once again, a nigh impossible Day 4 Assassination mission. Those two loaders did over 40 damage on turn 1, on Prestige 1. 40+ damage turn 1! If this was Prestige 6, I would've been 100% dead. I survived this encounter solely because I had the absolutely busted Brawl graft that played the first card each turn twice, and because I had a lot of Moxxie synergy which allowed me to heal from 10 HP to full.

It seems that most of the issues stem from late assassinations occasionally having way too many high grade enemies. Perhaps the exact composition of the enemy's party could be made known to the player in the mission's description? For example, "assassinate Opple. Be wary, they're often accompanied by Bombasa and Utkudu". At least this way the player would be made aware of the potentially run killing difficulty of the mission, allowing em to hire some much needed help. Though, tweaking the party compositions of assassination missions would be a better solution.

ZeppMan217    365

1390066040_.thumb.png.6b36a926138d333eb232eda80f1f0a91.png

And here's a Day 5 Assassination mission, Prestige 4. Compare the difficulty levels between this one and the Day 4 Assassination above. Brawl missions desperately need some fine tuning.