Sign in to follow this  
Mike23Ua

I have a question for PC players about Cave Content

Recommended Posts

Mike23Ua    6485

(I want to leave a disclaimer here I am not trying in anyway to start a console flame war here.. I am just in general, seriously confused about a few things and would like a little bit of clarity from anyone willing to explain..)


Okay so I have a million questions about how people on PC can even play this game without cave content, because from my experience of playing the game on Xbox One it has always played an integral part of the game, a feature that is ON by Default and can never be Disabled.. 

For my Questions, I will be using WINONA as my example... her Gem-Er-Rator machine is powered by slotting colored Gems into it for power, and these Gems are often and plentiful down in caves where they will literally fall from the sky for “free” during earthquakes.. but up on the surface world.. there are not very many reliable options for obtaining gems. (that I know of at least)


So one of my millions of Questions for PC Players is how does someone on PC properly play as Winona w/o caves content? 

My next question is if Caves Content is tied to other gameplay features such as obtaining Lightbulb, Rock Den Lobster, Slurtle, Slurtle Mounds, BATS, fighting Toadstool, fighting Ancient Guardian, accessing Ruins content and that Ancient P-word Craft Station, Fuel Weaver etc..
Without that content enabled how do you ever craft things like Bat-Bat, Lantern, Shelmet, and upkeep for Winona’s Gem-Er-Rator I imagine would be hard as heck to maintain and keep powered?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaymime    2690

in together you have skittersquid lightbulbs and in solo you have glowflies. as for gems there are tumbleweeds and on pc you have 'more' and 'lots' options for tumbleweeds so you could reasonably get a gem a day just harvesting those during daylight hours

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
x0-VERSUS-1y    5638

First: why do you think we play without caves?

Sure, some do - because of various reasons ranging from not knowing one needs to enable Caves from WorldGen, to PC not being powerful enough, to some sort of challenge - but most play with Cave Shard on.

 

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

For my Questions, I will be using WINONA as my example... her Gem-Er-Rator machine is powered by slotting colored Gems into it for power, and these Gems are often and plentiful down in caves where they will literally fall from the sky for “free” during earthquakes.. but up on the surface world.. there are not very many reliable options for obtaining gems. (that I know of at least)


So one of my millions of Questions for PC Players is how does someone on PC properly play as Winona w/o caves content?

Two words: Varg Farm.

 

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My next question is if Caves Content is tied to other gameplay features such as obtaining Lightbulb, Rock Den Lobster, Slurtle, Slurtle Mounds, BATS, fighting Toadstool, fighting Ancient Guardian, accessing Ruins content and that Ancient P-word Craft Station, Fuel Weaver etc..

Without that content enabled how do you ever craft things like Bat-Bat, Lantern, Shelmet, and upkeep for Winona’s Gem-Er-Rator I imagine would be hard as heck to maintain and keep powered?

Light Bulbs can be obtained from Squids (low chance but still an option). In DST you can't bring RockLobsters to Forest Shard. There is no way, if Caves are off, to obtain Snails loot, Bats, Toad, AG, Fw or APS Station items. Thus you can't craft Bat-Bat, Shelmet and other aspects related to mentioned mobs/bosses. You can however find Sunken Chests with Thule/Rare Gems (low roll) but will be useless to you without APS Station (and that's why I would fancy a Sunken Broken APS Station mini island biome out there on the Ocean, as an End-Game alternative to Ruins/Cave endemics - for Only-Forest Shard worlds).

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*typo*
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    6485

Thank You guys, I had not even considered Varg as even being a possibility, I’ve only encountered the Varg very few times in my playtime with this game (it unfortunately happened to spawn right outside my base) and if I recall correctly was like some large dog version of the Spider Queen which would defiantly be a good source for acquiring infinite Winona gems w/o caves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    3639
  • MÍNIMO:
    • SO: Windows Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8
    • Procesador: 1.7+ GHz or better
    • Memoria: 1 GB de RAM
    • Gráficos: Radeon HD5450 or better; 256 MB or higher
    • DirectX: Versión 9.0c
    • Red: Conexión de banda ancha a Internet
    • Almacenamiento: 750 MB de espacio disponible
    • Tarjeta de sonido: 100% DirectX9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    3055

when you're a power player, you notice the lag created from being a client instead of being a host.

Having multiple shards automatically creates this delay even if you have the best computer in the world. It is a engine limitation.

When you've experienced the smoothness of fast harvest and instant hits, it's hard to go back.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaymime    2690
11 minutes ago, Well-met said:

snip

psh, even a novice can feel the difference after ten or so hours of play. the jittering and slowdown is not exactly subtle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    6485
54 minutes ago, gaymime said:

psh, even a novice can feel the difference after ten or so hours of play. the jittering and slowdown is not exactly subtle

Do you play on PC and also Console? I’m just curious as to what you guys mean by jittering and slowdown.. 

Over on Xbox we have something called Lag Compensation, the game will literally “pull” your character back to a previous location, I’ve died by running away from Hound waves only to be “lagged” right back dead center of them.

Theres not much you can do to prevent it except learn when the game is about to lag, and treat it as a common gameplay feature.
In my head I just pretend that the hounds have “Telekinesis” powers and force me back dead center of them so I just got to keep holding my joystick in the direction I was wanting to go in so I keep moving away.

One of my favorite tv shows growing up was Code Lyoko.. so when this happens I call it “Code Lyoko Syndrome” get it? Because you literally return to the past now? (Only people who watched the show will get the joke)

Ahem anyway Code Lyoko Syndrome exists outside of Just DST though.. it also happens in Ark Survival Evolved often, I would blame it on my internet connection.. BUT my Internets very good.. and I don’t lag in many other games outside of Ark and DST.

At this point I’ve just accepted it as part of gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gaymime    2690

just pc. i have bad hands so i could not manipulate a controller(i have to use a modified setup to even use keys) for any length of time, also the console ver is super buggy but i can assure you it is the same with pc, i get lagged to death a couple times a week

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaZoul    843
4 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

Grave-digging is also a good source of red and blue gems, at the cost of sanity.

True, but that isn't what I'd call a renewable source of gemmies

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pixil    891

Although it's unreliable, sea treasure hunting eventually pays off if you're looking for gems. They can also rarely give lanterns and thulecite armor.
On the topic of ocean content being useful for those without caves, glassed hot springs have a 20% chance to drop a red or blue gem when mined (not too worth it considering bath bombs cost nitre.)
A varg farm is probably more worth the time though, it's consistent :D

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Sunken_Chest
https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Hot_Spring#Glassed

Edited by Pixil
realized thing about bath bombs
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zarklord_klei    788
10 hours ago, Well-met said:

when you're a power player, you notice the lag created from being a client instead of being a host.

Having multiple shards automatically creates this delay even if you have the best computer in the world. It is a engine limitation.

When you've experienced the smoothness of fast harvest and instant hits, it's hard to go back.

 

that honestly sounds like you just don't have a powerful enough PC, I literally cannot notice the difference between being the host or being a client on the server hosted by the game I'm running(and yes I have movement prediction off), there is a difference when I'm playing on a remote server, but that's to be expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sinisterrkid    984
13 hours ago, Zarklord said:

Having multiple shards automatically creates this delay even if you have the best computer in the world. It is a engine limitation.

Check to see if on the options menu "Lag Compensation" is set to "None", as it should be.

You shouldn't be having the problems you described, ESPECIALLY in good computers.The 'Predictive' Lag Compensation setting doesn't function well.

 

Edit: I quoted the wrong comment (fixed now on another comment).

Edited by sinisterrkid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SnowdropPax    107
16 hours ago, DaZoul said:

True, but that isn't what I'd call a renewable source of gemmies

Not very reliable, no. But it is good for when you start out, and until you have more reliable means to get them.

Besides, when it comes to gems, nothing is a surefire way of guaranteeing them. The chances of tumbleweeds dropping gems is pretty rare, plus the chances of a varg spawning in a hunt. If you are playing on a purely default server, with none of the settings changed, it's pretty hard to find gems.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sinisterrkid    984
On 7/31/2020 at 11:17 PM, Well-met said:

Having multiple shards automatically creates this delay even if you have the best computer in the world. It is a engine limitation.

Check to see if on the options menu "Lag Compensation" is set to "None", as it should be.

You shouldn't be having the problems you described, ESPECIALLY in good computers.The 'Predictive' Lag Compensation setting seems to work opposite of what's intended.

Edited by sinisterrkid
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaZoul    843
7 hours ago, SnowdropPax said:

Not very reliable, no. But it is good for when you start out, and until you have more reliable means to get them.

Besides, when it comes to gems, nothing is a surefire way of guaranteeing them. The chances of tumbleweeds dropping gems is pretty rare, plus the chances of a varg spawning in a hunt. If you are playing on a purely default server, with none of the settings changed, it's pretty hard to find gems.

Yup! I always get my red n blue gems from graves, to refine them into a purple gem for the Manipulator

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this