Useless Jet Suits!

On 7/28/2020 at 9:36 PM, Sasza22 said:

That`s the point of them. Specific use. Like everything in the game. I use them just as much as atmo suits. Each has it`s place. I guess you can build a base that keeps dupes in atmo suits 90% of the time but you might as well do the same with jest suits and just seal off the base and dig out everything around leaving a single ladder for dupes that run out of fuel. Actually i need to try that.

You can do it. It doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Everything would be so slow. Jet suits are nowhere near as fast as dups walking. Or maybe they are, for dups with athletics = 0? I dunno, never measured them. Almost never used them.
Oh and if you leave ladders around, dups would use them instead most of the time. Or should, because it's way faster.

They are uncomparably stronger lolz the only real dowside are lag if you let them access big areas. Everything is easier with them.. Having a chance to break vaccum is their weak spot if used outside space. 

Theyre perfect for rocket building with less stress i would still ever give them some tiles and ladders for spd and save fuel.

And now the biggest positive, they give dupes infinite reach, digging and building is just a breeze with them. 

Theyre okish for oil but not as good because you tend to go under oil a lot. 

They can even be temporary to just build a lot of stuff in space and tons of rocket silos and support for atmo suit movement then you go to the base and just use normal suits if wanted. 

On 7/27/2020 at 6:39 PM, psusi said:

I've never built a gantry.  Jet suits are a great way to board rockets

How do you make the pilot leave the rocket? My rocket shows a message that the dupe cannot disembark without a gantry (and he really sits there forever, it's not the message that bothers me :))

9 hours ago, Urist McPilot said:

How do you make the pilot leave the rocket? My rocket shows a message that the dupe cannot disembark without a gantry

The message is to let you know that dupes cannot disembark without a gantry. Place it so that it is underneath the command capsule.

image.thumb.png.ea028a39b47837a82366ec039c50a91f.png

On 8/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, Urist McPilot said:

How do you make the pilot leave the rocket? My rocket shows a message that the dupe cannot disembark without a gantry (and he really sits there forever, it's not the message that bothers me :))

I've never had any trouble getting them to disembark without a gantry provided that they boarded in a jet suit.

7 hours ago, psusi said:

I've never had any trouble getting them to disembark without a gantry provided that they boarded in a jet suit.

Hmm... My setup was the following: I built the rocket in a 7 tiles wide shaft using jet suits, without any support structure; steam engine, 5 research modules, command capsule. Fueled up, had the mandatory atmo suit delivered, then assigned a pilot who entered using a jet suit (I watched him doing it, not that he had any other option). Selected destination, launched manually. After landing, selected the command capsule, and removed the pilot assignment (this is how I always make the pilot leave the rocket). At his point the pilot didn't leave the rocket and the command capsule status displayed "cannot disembark without a gantry". After building and extending a gantry, the guy immediately left the rocket and started flying using his jet suit.

So, what is that you do differently that makes it work? :)

(BTW my current workaround is that I have a gantry, but extending it only for a second to let the pilot disembark. Turns out you can operate a gantry consuming 1.2kW power via a 1kW power transformer. It displays "no power" while working, but still works perfectly.)

I use them all the time but only in the spare environment.  It's all about design perfection, I don't want ladders everywhere ruining the aesthetic!  The only reason they ever need to fly up there is to collect some metal from asteroids or fix something that broke so the suits are perfect for that.

Also someone on here said they don't use atmosuits... It's the first thing I use... I make them ASAP and have every exit from my base stacked with them.  Why would you want them to risk getting wet or letting gases in?  I spend WAY too much time making sure my base is Oxygen except for what the dupes breath out, and yeah it's kinda pointless as the other gases don't kill you (I still really want chlorine gas to melt dupes) but this game's only real goal is the perfection of all the systems.

16 hours ago, Chained Phoenix said:

I use them all the time but only in the spare environment.  It's all about design perfection, I don't want ladders everywhere ruining the aesthetic!  The only reason they ever need to fly up there is to collect some metal from asteroids or fix something that broke so the suits are perfect for that.

Also someone on here said they don't use atmosuits... It's the first thing I use... I make them ASAP and have every exit from my base stacked with them.  Why would you want them to risk getting wet or letting gases in?  I spend WAY too much time making sure my base is Oxygen except for what the dupes breath out, and yeah it's kinda pointless as the other gases don't kill you (I still really want chlorine gas to melt dupes) but this game's only real goal is the perfection of all the systems.

You didn't forgot to mention the slimelung. Atmosuits basically stops a problem from happening down the track.

10 hours ago, nyonyonyo said:

You didn't forgot to mention the slimelung. Atmosuits basically stops a problem from happening down the track.

Slimelung is actually a minor problem if you are careful and use deodorizers. Sure, Atmosuits do stop the problem, but the more I understand ONI, the later I am building them. Basically the only need I have for them now is high-temperature environments and space.

That said, this is not a criticism on rushing them, just pointing out that multiple approaches exist that are all valid ones.

I haven`t used jetsuits in ages, need to try them out again. Back then when they put them in the game they sucked a GHz of CPU power away like nothing, real system guzzlers.

Would be great if jumpsuits can overheat and explode, that would look great :confused: Also some attachable remote control detonator would be fun in the game.

On 7/25/2020 at 4:49 PM, Kerrin29 said:

Jet Suits seem so good, until you realise all the pain they cause you.

The tool tip is useless, it doesn't tell you they emit CO2 gas and don't work underwater. Both are logical, but if the tool tip doesn't say, how am I meant to know that!
I have wasted many hours trying to figure out why my vacuum suddenly fills with CO2 at the last second.

And also, I still have no idea why my dupes will without any obvious reason, suddenly idle and never move. I can only assume they have run out of fuel, but where can I check that? And why is that a thing if that is it, it means you still need to build ladders everywhere, which makes them useless!

2 hours ago, Thilo87 said:

They are terrible for performance. My FPS lower from 30 to about 2-3 if I use them.

Hey Thilo87 :p

Ohhh, that sounds as if the game still calculates lots of navigation paths for the flies :roll: + all the exhaust stuff coming out. Hope I can check the flies out soon again. Thanks for the feedback.

On 7/27/2020 at 7:50 PM, Nebbie said:

Until relatively recently, I didn't even bother much with putting dupes in atmo suits, even for surface operations. Extra infrastructure on the edges of things that slows dupes down, limits how many can be there, and can get them stuck is really not great, and it's pretty easy to just pipe in oxygen by the time these things are needed.

Sure, if your dupes spend half the day walking in magma, and store their suits in a vacuum area, there will be problems with suits turning to sand, but this is an incredibly unusual case. Most of the time, suits are stored somewhere where they can lose heat well enough, and magma isn't an issue because dirt is actually ridiculously good at resisting temperature changes (SHC of about 1.5 is no joke). The limiting factor will tend to be how fast dupes reach scalding temperatures, giving atmo suits a massive upper hand as dupes can pretty much treat magma as bath water. Really, I think atmo suits being made of dirt is too good considering how well dupes can move in them.

As to jet suits, I hate the idea of leaving random bits of gas everywhere. I once had a dupe fart the exact moment he completed the last tile of a turbine's steam room, getting it only the steam room, and ever since I've been very wary of that sort of thing (and I no longer hire flatulent dupes). I also don't in general like oil infrastructure, because of how hot and messy it gets, and so I'd prefer to not be forced to make it early.

This is why you don't let dupes build sensitive infrastructure without an atmo suit on.

Archived