DaClown

Quantum Oxygen Not Included Mechanics

nakomaru    1649

I love you already. Quantum mechanics is the core of the reason why some players have a hard time accepting ONI physics. But if you say that, you might sound like a new-age charlatan. Regarding time, there are a few delineations. Most of the sim states occur at 5 times per second, but I'm pretty sure automation ticks occur 10 times per second (correct me). When stepping forward in game state in debug it seems game states have 60(?) ticks per second, but I guess this might only be animation related. Rockets (and most things) can move their position on a sub-tile basis, probably float based, and probably up to 60 times per second. Dripping liquids and sands can travel much faster than 1 tile per tick.

There are some breakpoints for mass. Less than 1mcg of gas will change into vacuum (except when it doesn't and you end up with 0.0 mcg of steam), so this can probably be said to be a quantum of matter. For falling liquids, less than 10g will turn into vacuum on its next position change. Excess of 100T of debris or bottled fluid also disappears - so the storage capacity hacks can't go over this for gas/liquid reservoirs.

The minimum heat capacity delta that can transfer heat is 0.1 DTU (J in code/debug), so below that difference will result in perfect insulation. There is also a maximum transfer clamp per tick. This reminds me of a real world quantum phenomenon: the transparency of glass. There is not enough energy in visible light photons to raise any electron to a higher energy state in transparent glass, so they just don't interact.

Electricity also runs at 5 ticks per second, and the interesting thing is that electronics work without any idea of wattage. At each tick, up to once per second, each consumer will try to consume its required energy in electrical joules stored on the line. If it gets it, it subtracts that many joules from the line and does one second of work. The wattage calculations are done later for the power line capacity checks, and are just a running average of the amount of joules consumed over some recent time.

Most values seem to deal in floats, and in regions where they are not encoding-limited (they will round at medium masses, and encode limit at enormous masses), so really these limits are just emergent properties of the code. Tile physics and time delineation is certainly quantized though.

Edited by nakomaru
updated equations link
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gurgel    1746

Well, as a computer scientist, I should probably point out that _all_ digital simulations are quantizised. It is an aspect of the simulation though, not of what is simulated. And it is at the core of why a simulation cannot be perfect. The other is the resolution problem. In ONI, a tile holds one element and all of that is in exactly the same state. And that brings us to the real limit: A digital simulation is always finite and as a purely practical matter has a rather small state. 

mathmanican    3254
10 hours ago, DaClown said:

Thermal transfer of energy from one body to another is the primary mechanics of the game, but the exact documentable statement of those mechanics in a comprehensive sense has been elusive.

If you have not yet read the Thermal Conductivity wiki page on the topic, make sure you do.  It gives credit to the two sources I've been using for the last two years, and only recently swapped to using the wiki page after @wachunga pointed out how nicely it does things. 

• Like 3