JazzyGames

Should Twitch really have separate categories for DS & DST?

GetNerfedOn    5586

As an occasional stream watcher I would agree to a consolidation for the reasons that you have mentioned. Imo it would also help to clear up common confusions and curosities when players of one category seek mechanics/mobs/items/bosses for their category in the other (e.g. a DS player asking where Bee Queen is or DST players confused why there aren't armored boats).

Edited by GetNerfedOn
Garmmar, gormmer, orgrimmar! Added a few things too.
  • Like 4

Owlrus98    2439

Hmm this is truly a tough situation because of the arguments put in place for this. On one hand it makes sense to generalize the two games (DST and DS + DLC's) into one category that would certainly encourage more viewing and, subsequently, advertising for the single player game and its expansions. However a couple arguments could be made that, for one, there may not be any "demand" for DS + DLC's comparative to its more recognized multiplayer counterpart; and secondly that those games do not have / nor potentially plan to have any more polish to them that DST has and will receive, so it would need to be a priority from Klei to give support for those games in either the style of updates, skins, or even integration into a "Don't Starve Launcher" of sorts. It could also simply be that, and I'd hate to say it this way because I too love Don't Starve with a passion, the games are long past their life-cycle and just does not have much relevance to the general viewership anymore. It is for these reasons that I personally believe that in order for the previous games to gain traction, they need some more love from Klei themselves.

Cheggf    239

I had initially disagreed based on the title, but then the body did an excellent job of convincing me. 

Edited by Cheggf

Ispin69    48

Does Klei have any authority to ask twitch how to run their categories though? Obviously, there is some partnership to have stream drops but I wonder if they have any say in this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

gaymime    1172

i think they ought to stay separate simply because of all of the differences. certainly a lot of things are alike but character switching, bundling-wrap acquisition, exclusive characters, expansion-pack restrictions, boss health and now game exclusive recipes/mobs? those all make this a different game in execution regardless of aesthetics and as time goes on the divide between the two will continue until they start developing mutually exclusive player-bases

i think it is good to keep them apart not only because of the current differences but also as a means of future-proofing

• Like 3

Cheggf    239
2 hours ago, gaymime said:

i think they ought to stay separate simply because of all of the differences. certainly a lot of things are alike but character switching, bundling-wrap acquisition, exclusive characters, expansion-pack restrictions, boss health and now game exclusive recipes/mobs? those all make this a different game in execution regardless of aesthetics and as time goes on the divide between the two will continue until they start developing mutually exclusive player-bases

i think it is good to keep them apart not only because of the current differences but also as a means of future-proofing

I think the differences between RoG and DST are waaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than the differences between RoG and SW, or SW and HAM, yet those are all in the same category of DSA.

• Like 2

Mike23Ua    5586

Alright fine, since everyone wants to react to my previous posts with confused reacts... Yes they should remain to be separate streams targeting two different audiences

Play as Wendy in both games and you’ll understand Why.

gaymime    1172
1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I think the differences between RoG and DST are waaaaaaaaaaaay smaller than the differences between RoG and SW, or SW and HAM, yet those are all in the same category of DSA.

yeah, no. the ds expansions are still part of ds and aside from expiry issues it doesn't remove from vanilla ds play and instead adds to it where as i literally cannot play ds and dst in the same way because several of the mechanics from ds simply are not available to me. in vanilla, rog and sw i can play the majority of the game without having to directly attack any mobs(barring the occasional bit of self-defense or extreme starvation) and do so on my own but in dst that isn't an option. unless i get amazing  rng and mob-bosses spawn on top of each other i have to fight for wraps and meat, world gen does not express itself in a familiar way and unless someone babysits me i am committed to death in a manner that ds simply doesn't compare to(i am not sure what the difference is but it is certainly there. honestly i feel it is modified mob aggression and the lack of ability to plan at my own pace). there is also the issue of having several characters that are ds or dst specific and dst lacking a story mode(which is a noticeable chunk of the game). you also have the issue of there being no pause so the way that things like maps are utilized, sw and rog mechanics are put together in the world(while several sw features are missing) and changing how players break up their play time, you also have to account for the large and imposing elephant in the room of dst being a communal mmo while ds is a single-player rouge-like which means that you are not going to be able to build and react in the same way you would solo. even if you account for houses and hurricanes there is such a gulf in mental state between being the only person you have to watch out for and nixing any awry plans and being part of a (potentially) random collective with a mind for resource preservation and inter-connectivity that trying to play them in identical games makes for a decidedly different experience let alone playing them in games that are only siblings to each other and not the same creature

it is like saying it is the same to eat a sausage roll in your jammies while alone in your flat is the same as eating sausage and eggs at a nice restaurant by yourself because you are eating sausage in both instances and you can theoretically do both by yourself. it only holds up if you don't think about it even a little bit

• Thanks 2

KeshS    2438

Is it possible to merge two games together after almost 7 years of development? The idea is great, but the compatability might be a problem. Just to add to it I haven't heard of any game title that had 2 seperate games and somehow merged them into one.

• Like 1

GenomeSquirrel    834

But the categories don’t exist for the sake of twitch drops, they exist to make it easier to find people playing the game I want to watch.

Despite people claiming Hamlet was well liked, nearly no one actually streams it, and I wouldn’t like the rare Hamlet stream diluted and harder to find among the more numerous DST ones.

• Thanks 2

sawchuk519    12

Similar to Genome's argument, I prefer to have separate categories for the separate games. I go to whichever category I want to watch and look there first. Putting all of the single player streams in the DST category would make them much more difficult to find. Sometimes I want to watch DST specifically as well, and having single player RoG streams in the DST category would make that more difficult as well.

I have some experience with game categories being merged on twitch from another game that I watch and I thoroughly dislike it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rinkusan    948

14 hours ago, JazzyGames said:

The question I constantly find myself asking is: why are there two separate categories? I realize that the quick and easy answer is that Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together are two different games. But are they really? And to me the more important question is: why do we need to make the distinction?

In my view, they very much are entirely different games. I understand that many players play solo worlds in DST in such a way that the gameplay is almost identical to DS RoG, but it would be extremely misleading to say that the two games aren't all that different. From minute mechanical differences like the dragonfly and how armor works to drastic differences like the fuelweaver, all of the Return of Them content, and most importantly, the ability to play with other people, the games have plenty of significant distinctions that the "quick and easy answer" alone doesn't really do justice.

I completely agree that merging the two games into one category would benefit the DS singleplayer streamers, but I could make that same argument for people who stream The Sims 2 instead of The Sims 4. Yet, these remain two separate games on Twitch. Is there any precedence of two games being merged into one category on Twitch?

• Thanks 3

Mike23Ua    5586
6 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

how did you come from the OP to this??

this is mainly about unifying twitch categories, the focus is not on difficulty or debating about differences between the games... it's about viewership

My point was as someone over the age of 21 who doesn’t EVER take a liking-ship to any ONE particular individual who streams video game content, my interest aligns solely upon watching the VIDEO GAME CONTENT in question (not You streaming it)

I do not care one tiny little bit to see your face on the screen while you play said video game content. Someone with that mindset (and I’m sure I’m not alone) Is only there to see the GAME you are currently playing, Which is exactly why it’s vitally important that the two games remain to be under two separate categories.

DS came out in 2015 & DST is its 2017 Sequel.

You Don’t see anyone streaming 2009’s Batman Arkham Asylum trying to attract viewership from those who are interested in seeing gameplay of 2015’s Batman Arkham Knight.

They're two drastically different games, the same can be said of DS Solo & DST.

For example- if I saw you playing DST and I fell in love with Woodies Goose form rushing across the now sailable ocean when you turn into him, I would be highly disappointed when I bought DS single player expecting Woodie to go Goose and discover that the sea is only for looks & Woodie doesn’t have that power within the old game.

49 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

But the categories don’t exist for the sake of twitch drops, they exist to make it easier to find people playing the game I want to watch.

Despite people claiming Hamlet was well liked, nearly no one actually streams it, and I wouldn’t like the rare Hamlet stream diluted and harder to find among the more numerous DST ones.

^^ This

Charlie Dark    3637

Hm, I believe that yes. It's better to keep them in separate categories, since DS (solo) including its DLCs is very different from DST now, and it really depends on the content the twitch users want to watch, if both categories got "merged" in Twitch, I imagine that it'd usually be confusing for the users to find what they want to watch.

Edited by Charlie Dark
  • Thanks 3