Oxygen Not Included DLC Roadmap July 2020

The space content has finally been changed. The space content in the past was very boring. However, the content of nuclear energy is too simple, and the content of nuclear energy is just a marketing gimmick of expansion film. I want to have complex chemical production content.

3 hours ago, Lilscratchy said:

If I get the DLC down the line... Does this mean that in order to be able to utilize the new features I have to start a new colony though? 

Do you see any way this could be made to work without a new colony? I don't.

On 7/3/2020 at 9:54 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

While the majority of the new content will of course be in service of the new systems, we're also adding a new start biome, and multiple new biomes throughout the asteroid cluster with their own critters, plants, and resources to discover and integrate into your colony.

YES to all.
I`m really hoping that the plants and critters will be inspired by the multitude of suggestions and ideas from the [Oxygen Not Included] - Suggestions and Feedback section of the forum.
There are so many good ideas there.

I do hope there isn't a separate build or branch of the code for the DLC, because that would be a real headache for modding. Don't Starve (single player) is a textbook example of how to give modders indigestion, with three separate branches of the game scripts for vanilla, Reign of Giants, and Hamlet that install side-by-side; to some extent DST is a fourth branch. It's fine not to ship the non-behavioural assets (art, music, anims, etc.) but please for our sanity keep the code base/'scripts' as a single shipping branch no matter what combination of DLCs a player may or may not have purchased! Forks are not to be undertaken lightly, because they have a carrying cost for as long as they live.

I'm not going to count experimental/preview branches against this because they don't live long, they eventually either merge with or replace the previous stable code line.

I hope that atmosuits will no longer trivialize so many problems at once and have some real downsides. I'm thinking about  "atmosuit station right in front of bedroom for all dupes" designs. This eliminates problems with liquid airlocks, eliminates problems with temperature, unbreathable gases and trivializes diseases. It's just too good. Speaking of airlocks, I still think it's weird that the low-tech liquid airlocks are the optimal solution and much better than anything else a player can come up with.

Reworking space biome gameplay and rockets is good. It was quite tedious and difficult to understand all the rules. Rockets should definitely come into play much earlier rather than being a late game thing.

I also hope for a game mode where resources are truly scarce and need to be managed well, and going into space and on other asteroids will occur sooner and be necessary to gain important resources and achieve greater sustainability.

Maybe this time we will be starting near surface :) If this game mode will be separate from basic game, then maybe we will start with crashlanded rocket right away as duplicant who went to temporal rift. Priory one: build printing pod. That would be cool :)

On 7/3/2020 at 7:53 PM, mr peeps said:

Klei. 

This will actually make this game, no joke, PERFECT

Multiple, visitable colonies has been the one thing I was preaching on the suggestion forum for ages. This game is literally everything I have ever wanted in a game. Thank you. Thank you so much. I wish every god damn person in your studio the best. Love you guys <3

Easy there... there’s still no cloud saves. Laziness at its finest.

8 hours ago, MarcinW said:

Maybe this time we will be starting near surface :) If this game mode will be separate from basic game, then maybe we will start with crashlanded rocket right away as duplicant who went to temporal rift. Priory one: build printing pod. That would be cool :)

First task: Dig down before running out of air! 1 Cycle deadline ;-)

2 hours ago, Steve Raptor said:

My god I can't wait to get back to ONI after I'm done with this endless exam period.

Ah, yes. I remember those still, 30 years later. The ones I have now are a bit better, but x30 larger, unfortunately (30 Students per class). If there were a good alternative to exams, I think both instructors and students would go for it immediately...

Anyways, good luck!

On 7/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, Gurgel said:

Do you see any way this could be made to work without a new colony? I don't.

Me neither. It was just wishful thinking. I really love the grind from Scratch, but it's also a shame to have to give up a nice well running colony

57 minutes ago, Lilscratchy said:

Me neither. It was just wishful thinking. I really love the grind from Scratch, but it's also a shame to have to give up a nice well running colony

I do agree to that. 

On 7/4/2020 at 4:37 AM, c2h5oc2h5 said:

Spaceship travel time! How cool would it be if a rocket would have a small map (like other colonies), where we have to setup life support systems ourselves :). Probably not gonna happen, but I'd love it.

Haha, building the interior of a rocket would actually be really cool. Setup a little life support system that needs to sustain them for X time, and give them decor/living spaces, maybe even building out science areas for space experiments for research value... That'd be cool. :D

The whole space materials economy is changed with being able to go to destinations.  What of the 3 main space materials?  They were pretty scarce.  I can't imagine there would be deposits of fullerene, isoresin, and niobium on remote destinations.  But I guess there isn't any reason they wouldn't be there.

7 hours ago, Beowulfe said:

Haha, building the interior of a rocket would actually be really cool. Setup a little life support system that needs to sustain them for X time, and give them decor/living spaces, maybe even building out science areas for space experiments for research value... That'd be cool. :D

Like a minibase, but with engines.

12 hours ago, felonious_caper said:

Easy there... there’s still no cloud saves. Laziness at its finest.

I made my own cloud saves, with blackjack and hookers!

9 hours ago, TheMule said:

Like a minibase, but with engines.

Cool! I had the idea once to add space below the our asteroid, and build some fixed rockets (10-20 something semi-ridiculous) to actually fly the entire colony through space.

I was thinking that the end goal would be to fly the entire colony away from the other asteroids and planets to a safe area, perhaps even land the entire colony on a new planet.

Archived