Recommended Posts

ArubaroBeefalo    2939
6 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

You need nothing more but for Klei to rework the ocean and its content wholesale in order to fit Shipwrecked boats in it?

and the worst is to add a "shoes" for water instead of the complex and fun mechanics in dst boats but better awsd

1 minute ago, Duck986 said:

yes, and maybe some additional SW content, like Cutlass Supreme. Because this wooden water cookies are slow af,

image.png.1fac32bca65767b99c6c09ebe9cad4d4.png

my boat is pretty fast with the "useless" loot from malbatross

2 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I still dont see the point in sailing.

I haven't spotted a shark yet, and the barnacles are too risky for the food they provide.

Sharks provide a decent amount of fish meat, but I have yet to see one spawn naturally, and boat combat options are still undercooked, so hunting them seems like a waste of time, proper harpoons or traps would help with this issue, I like the idea if putting tooth traps on the boat for whenever the shark jumps aboard, so some sort of net trap could be cool.

Its mostly just more content for the sake of content, I would hope that there would be more unique gear to rival the Ruins that can be found out in the ocean, but so far thats not the case, and food options are not worty the effort when you can nust kill a Koalephant, a very predictable and easy to find mob, for 8 meat and its trunk.

ruins are content for the sake of content but ok

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
QuartzBeam    1304
5 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I haven't spotted a shark yet, and the barnacles are too risky for the food they provide.

From what I've gathered, the Sea Sprouts you can plant from killing Sea Weeds will only turn into new Sea Weeds if they are left unharvested during a full moon. Otherwise, they grow barnacles year round and are perfectly harmless.

Oh and Sharks are way too risky to fight. Huge AoE damage and 1000 Health. Better off killing Gnarwails, for the same loot, since you can lure those into melee range by giving them meat.

Edited by QuartzBeam
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    2939
17 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I agree completely. DST's boats are a ton of fun and designed around cooperative play. Shipwrecked's walking on water with a sprite at your feet is rather boring and I don't really see the point in it.

The Magiluminesence, Star Caller's Staff, Deconstruction Staff, Construction Amulet, Lazy Forager, Lazy Explorer, Thulecite Crown, Thulecite Suit and Houndius Shootius are all useful outside of the ruins, with some of them like Magi being very powerful. Not to mention the fact that you need to kill the AG to be able to kill the FW to get Bone Armour, Bone Helm, and Shadow Thurible.

I assume what they're trying to say is that sailing offers no purpose except for sailing. Everything you get from sailing is pretty worthless for anyone who isn't a sailor, so the only reason to venture out to sea is if you want to. I'm the only person I've seen really sail on public servers despite playing almost exclusively on them, it seems most people don't really care about the ocean due to lack of rewards.

but you need those to survive? no like you dont need glass cutters or stone fruits to survive but the travel is worth in both. Ofc ruins has more value but ruins has been desing like 8 years ago meanwhile the sea has 1 year? 

also its true that the food founts, discarting stone fruits and kelp, are awfull but fishing is different than fighting or making wars so having a fun choice to get food is good for the game.

Ofc i want more propuse to go to the sea and more surviving mechanics attached but isnt complete so comparing sea over land or caves is unfair. 

With the few content we have for the moment we get stone fruits, a good weapon against shadows, kelpt, the glass axe to make toad easy, anenemy, a totally worth fridge for raw food  and shellbells. Also, even if they are not worth in land, the seasonal fishes are pretty cool

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cheggf    288
9 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but you need those to survive? no like you dont need glass cutters or stone fruits to survive but the travel is worth in both. Ofc ruins has more value but ruins has been desing like 8 years ago meanwhile the sea has 1 year? 

also its true that the food founts, discarting stone fruits and kelp, are awfull but fishing is different than fighting or making wars so having a fun choice to get food is good for the game.

Ofc i want more propuse to go to the sea and more surviving mechanics attached but isnt complete so comparing sea over land or caves is unfair. 

With the few content we have for the moment we get stone fruits, a good weapon against shadows, kelpt, the glass axe to make toad easy, anenemy, a totally worth fridge for raw food  and shellbells. Also, even if they are not worth in land, the seasonal fishes are pretty cool

The lunar island does have stuff that's worth grabbing, but its spawn location is predictable enough where people don't really "sail" to it and they usually just make a bare minimum boat, go in a straight line, grab the stuff, then ignore the ocean for the rest of forever. They never do the vast majority of ocean content (Hermit, Malbatross, ocean fishing, pinching winch, etc) because the ocean to them is just a minor inconvenience that must be overcame a single time to get stone fruit bushes. Salt crystals are also pretty useful (even if they're basically just worse bundling wrap) but I think I've only ever seen a single person other than me go for them.

I'm not trying to say the ocean is dumb or anything, recently I've been spending almost all my time there and having a ton of fun even if there's not much to do, I was just trying to say what I believe Ogrecakes meant with his comment. Although it would be nice if there were more to do and more reason to do it.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    2939
4 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

The lunar island does have stuff that's worth grabbing, but its spawn location is predictable enough where people don't really "sail" to it and they usually just make a bare minimum boat, go in a straight line, grab the stuff, then ignore the ocean for the rest of forever. They never do the vast majority of ocean content (Hermit, Malbatross, ocean fishing, pinching winch, etc) because the ocean to them is just a minor inconvenience that must be overcame a single time to get stone fruit bushes. Salt crystals are also pretty useful (even if they're basically just worse bundling wrap) but I think I've only ever seen a single person other than me go for them.

I'm not trying to say the ocean is dumb or anything, recently I've been spending almost all my time there and having a ton of fun even if there's not much to do, I was just trying to say what I believe Ogrecakes meant with his comment. Although it would be nice if there were more to do and more reason to do it.

and i get the point but what he and other want? we receive like 4 small updates and they want to be more worth that a feature that was before than even reing of giants?

we dont know yet if the sea will be a place full of fauna or materials or islands so judging with arrogance and ignoring in propuse the usefull things that sea bring doesnt contribute with nothing

and talking about how you can predict moon islad place so easily is something that i hope will be remove when there will be more place to travel

about barnacles i cant talk since i didnt try them. I create a new world in the beta but i didnt play enough

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mysterious box    243
21 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

The lunar island does have stuff that's worth grabbing, but its spawn location is predictable enough where people don't really "sail" to it and they usually just make a bare minimum boat, go in a straight line, grab the stuff, then ignore the ocean for the rest of forever. They never do the vast majority of ocean content (Hermit, Malbatross, ocean fishing, pinching winch, etc) because the ocean to them is just a minor inconvenience that must be overcame a single time to get stone fruit bushes. Salt crystals are also pretty useful (even if they're basically just worse bundling wrap) but I think I've only ever seen a single person other than me go for them.

I'm not trying to say the ocean is dumb or anything, recently I've been spending almost all my time there and having a ton of fun even if there's not much to do, I was just trying to say what I believe Ogrecakes meant with his comment. Although it would be nice if there were more to do and more reason to do it.

I've been wondering this for awhile how do you tell where to check for the lunar island locating it kills me when I play outside of my own worlds.

But as for sailing in general if I'm being honest I hate it purely because of how long it takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    2532

there doesn't seem to be any long-term benefits to TW. it's just more ways to get your boat killed and more food recipes.

I guess new shadows and the minor mast upgrades are neat.

Edited by Well-met

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UnknowX    84

I really love the new rock shark mob, but I wish we could get better loot after killing him. His rock jaw pretty muck looks like something that could be turn into a weapon or a boat device, like a faster anchor or grappling jaws to retrieve far away items on the sea.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    74345

Maybe some plants that are so specific and useful you have to almost commit suicide at the edge of the world to get it?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lumberlocke    916
2 hours ago, UnknowX said:

I really love the new rock shark mob, but I wish we could get better loot after killing him. His rock jaw pretty muck looks like something that could be turn into a weapon or a boat device, like a faster anchor or grappling jaws to retrieve far away items on the sea.

A rock jaw anchor sounds pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    5644

Okay so here’s what I’m thinking..
Return of Them is a HUGE Update Chain that will not come to its conclusion until the following thing happens-

We find out WHO or WHAT “Them” Are.. and WHY they are Returning. Until you have that... You can Expect more updates!
 

Moving on, Each of these Updates have had the same Concept Theme to them, each Update has added a new area to explore, at least one new mob, New Foods, new craftable items & at least one new Boat Structure.
 

#1 Turn of Tides- Added the Sea & Lunar Island, all the creatures inhabiting Lunar Island- I’ll just use Saladmander as my example mob, Stone Fruit, Glass Cutter, Boats!

#2 Salty Dog- Added Salt Stack Formations, Cookie Cutters, Salt, Salt Box, Malbatross Sail!

#3 Hook, Line & Inker- Added Deep Sea, Skittersquid, Surf N Turf, Deep Sea Fishing Rod, Tin Fishing Bin!
 

#4 She Sells Sea Shells- Added Pearls Island, Wobster, Wobster related food dish, Strident Trident, Tackle Box & Pinch Winch!

#5- Troubled Waters- Added Barnacle biome, Rock Shark/Sea Weed, Leafy Meat related food dishes, (updates still in beta so I don’t know what to put here..) And Boat Lantern/ Boat Lightning Rod.

Surely all of you crying “pointless content for the sake of being pointless content..” can now see the overall thematic focus of Klei’s Return of them updates.

Each update phase has added new area, new mob, new food, new craftable item, and a new craftable boat structure item.

I suppose though that some people just won’t ever be happy..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lumberlocke    916
10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I suppose though that some people just won’t ever be happy..

I think that stems from there not being much reason to go out into the ocean, especially if Woodie or a boating party ransacks the lunar island for all it is worth by bringing all the resources to the mainland. I guess the saltbox is nice, and Warly players get to grind up leftover salt.

I do love the new additions included with this update, they are nice novelties, but I'm really holding out for some new chunks of island to emerge from the seafloor to explore, possibly with resources you cannot dig up to provide incentive to make multiple trips.

Having the season affect the ocean would be pretty cool too, as per @Hornete's idea. That alone would open up a bunch more depth to the seasons and the game in general.

Edited by Lumberlocke
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hornete    4036
2 minutes ago, Lumberlocke said:

Having the season affect the ocean would be pretty cool too, as per @Hornete's idea. That alone would open up a bunch more depth to the seasons and the game in general.

Every day I cry to sleep wishing for ice bergs and ice sheets on the ocean that you can hop on just like boats.

Spoiler

Okay bit exaggerated, but klei please I need my ice sheets.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    5644
1 minute ago, Lumberlocke said:

I think that stems from there not being much reason to go out into the ocean, especially if Woodie or a boating party ransacks the lunar island for all it is worth by bringing all the resources to the mainland. I guess the saltbox is nice, and Warly players get to grind up leftover salt.

I do love the new additions included with this update, they are nice novelties, but I'm really holding out for some new chunks of island to emerge from the seafloor to explore, possibly with resources you cannot dig up to provide incentive to make multiple trips.

The problem with that is some people feel like if it’s not part of the Meta.. it’s not worth doing Period.

That is a very sad mindset to play ANY game in.. why would I Play a game at all if I only ever used the top of the line best stuff to use? You would absolutely suck all the fun out of a game like the original Dead Rising where anything and everything you could find in a shopping mall could be used as a weapon..

if you played the game as intended and ran around literally using whatever you had in reach at the time it was a fun experience unlike any other- if you simply rushed for the best gear available to beat the game with you literally just defeated the entire purpose of even playing at all.

I feel like DST fits this Category quite nicely- You even just said yourself, People rush the Lunar Island grab what they want and then leave never to return... But WHY!?

And what do you think is going to happen if Klei adds a bunch of new Island full of life and unique mobs- If they don’t fit into the META your only ever going to see that content as completely pointless & Optional and why ever go there at all if it doesn’t help you with the Meta of the game? 

Klei could add 110 unique locations into this game with new stuff to do, new mobs to fight, new things to craft.. and as long as it Doesn’t fit into the META some people will still careless.

And all I have got to say to those people is Congratulations... You had a shopping mall full of stuff you could use but you instead choose to ignore everything and rush for the best stuff.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now