HojMcFoj    16

So I have a solo world, only about day 100 so far, but I haven’t been able to easily kill any bosses so far (or kill any period). I’ve tried fighting Deerclops (I’m playing on winters feast so deerclops is a little bit more difficult), Bearger, and Moose Goose so far, but even as I plan ahead to what I want to fight next I notice it’s going to be really difficult. Most tips say get some friends, but I don’t have PS+ so this is not an option for me. I’m fine at just plain kiting most of the time, but looking on the wikis most giants would take very large amounts of time to kill just using a spear, or even a ham bat or bat bat. I see a lot that an easy way to kill giants is putting them to sleep/freezing them and then using just enough gunpowder to almost kill them, but I honestly don’t want to have to make hundreds of gunpowder (if that’s even possible) just to get the drops. If the only way is gunpowder, sure, I’ll bust out the monster jerky and torches, but I’d like to know if anyone has some good tactics, traps, ect. For killing the bosses before I go ahead and spend countless hours burning my world to a crisp. Thanks for reading!

Toodles Doodles

Edited by HojMcFoj

Dunk Mujunk    1716

You would only need 19 gunpowder for Deerclops, 29 for Bearger and MooseGoose. This would bring them to within 2 or 3 hits to kill. Just make sure they are no longer on fire before you land the kill shot. You will want the Panflute for this as the damage from sleep darts will effect the amount of gunpowder needed to do the proper amount of damage. You could do the maths and adjust, but the panflute is just easier.

You also have the option with Deerclops and Bearger of leading them into a heavily forested area and getting them to knock down trees. Eventually Treegaurds will spawn and do the killing for you. I think around 3/4 Treegaurds is enough to do the job.

For MooseGoose, you can simply wait for a heavy frog rain then rush over to her nest and let the frogs do work. This also nets you quite a bit of frog legs (usually around 2+ stacks) along with MG loot. Honestly I rarely bother with MG. The loot isn't really needed unless you want weather pains.

Another trick for Bearger is to build a Telelocator focus on the Lunar Isle (preferably one of the small islands) and Telelocate him. Since he doesn't despawn if he is not killed he will stay there and you wont have to deal with him ever again if you dont want to.

Edited by Dunk Mujunk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gaymime    282

use mobs? leading the boss to bees or pigs or treeguards is a bit of a pain but they do the work for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BeeClops    309

Eventually you'll get the hang of it, using gunpowder for those bosses seems very unnecesary.

Figure out what goes wrong, do you run out of armor? do you run out of healing? do u get hit too much? Just overprepare a little until you get comfortable and get the feel of the fights, all the bosses you mention give you the option to retreat, recover/heal and go at them again, so you can split the fight if it goes wrong the first time. 

They all can be dealt with other mobs, but i think with a little practice those are bosses you should be able to solo without much preparation.

Edited by BeeClops
  • Like 1

Mindkontrol    48
On 6/27/2020 at 4:55 PM, HojMcFoj said:

easily kill any bosses

This might be your problem right here. Don't Starve is not about -easy-, and I am incredibly thankful for that. On the title page as the game loads the word "Uncompromising" is used directly referencing the game experience. If you are looking for easy, you might want to look elsewhere. The bosses in DST are, for the most part, challenging, and that is the real fun of the game. There are plenty of strategies for each that can make your fight easIER.. 

• Like 1

Mike23Ua    5111
On 7/1/2020 at 7:53 AM, Mindkontrol said:

This might be your problem right here. Don't Starve is not about -easy-, and I am incredibly thankful for that. On the title page as the game loads the word "Uncompromising" is used directly referencing the game experience. If you are looking for easy, you might want to look elsewhere. The bosses in DST are, for the most part, challenging, and that is the real fun of the game. There are plenty of strategies for each that can make your fight easIER.. 

Incorrect. The bosses in DST are designed to be fought with multiple players, Unlike the single player game where every boss was designed completely to be fought alone.

I would Only agree with you if you couldn’t just give every player in the server a Wigfrid battle helm, some armor and a Hambat to repeatedly spam attack button until something is dead.

Theres a difference between being Uncompromising, and not being intended for a person playing alone.

• Confused 2

BeeClops    309
10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Incorrect[...]alone.

How can you complain so much that the games is too easy, yet you feel like it's impossible to fight bosses solo. Despite the fact that you can probably beat any of them with a 6 player party holding F, i doubt even you think that's what Klei intended. Imho it is the way it should be, you need 6-8 noobs/2-3 decent players/1 experienced player to kill the badboyz.

Do you see the gap between impossible and holding F button tho? That is an area of skill, tactics, strategies, arguably the best part of this game. You should explore it more, you'd be surprised how much you can achieve on your own.

Edited by BeeClops
  • Thanks 2

gaymime    282

man, i just got my butt handed to me by bearger today. year one and he spawned right next to a beefalo herd that i was trying to keep for winter and murdered the lot before walking over the tentacle i was using to pick off the calves, i ran him through 4 tentacles trying to get him away from the other herd i had in the area and accidentally led him to a hive i hadn't seen before(which he decimated after his stomping angered the hive) then he got bored and terrorized second beehive and took out two thirds of a third beefalo herd i hadn't seen before then died to that herd(he killed like 70% of it).

tl'dr? don't go playing with rooks in the deciduous biome in the fall, especially if you haven't mapped the entire thing yet. wasted two days and burned through no less than fifteen beefalo and four rooks ;3;