JoeW

Licensed Don't Starve Mobile Game (Don't Starve: Newhome)

Pikapikap    664
2 hours ago, TimeToDuel said:

I can't believe that after all these years of quiet observation I'm finally going to share my opinion.

I would like to begin by saying that I don't like Tencent any more than anyone else does. With that being said, I think that a large part of the issue here stems from a general misconception. Klei, just like every other company, is a company— as in, not your friend. They are not making games solely for joy; they are also doing it for money. That's the nature of the business world (and life in general). I understand that Klei is far more community-oriented than most game developers, and they do a lot for their fans (i.e., giving away free expansions, hosting free events, actually taking player opinions and suggestions into consideration, actively participating in forum discussions, etc.) Nevertheless, it takes a very large amount of cash to develop a video game and keep it running. They need to get that money from somewhere, and I'm sure they got a good deal on the Don't Starve title. Same with Griftlands. 

I love Klei's games, and I have an overall positive opinion on the company as a whole. However, I think that we need to recognize that they are a business, and businesses will do what they need to in order to continue thriving and making money. Do I like the deal they made with Tencent? No. Is this long-winded rant actually in support of Tencent or shady business practices in general? Definitely not. Please note, however, that most businesses outside of your great aunt's home bakery have probably done some shady business with shady people whether you know about it or not. They just don't announce it publicly like Klei does. Tencent owns a lot in the video game industry, as in, they literally own more than anyone else does. You've probably played plenty of other games that you had no idea were associated with Tencent; Fortnite, League of Legends, Assassins Creed, World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Nier: Automata were all developed by companies that are partially, if not fully, owned by Tencent. There's plenty of more where that comes from, by the way. I just listed a few of the bigger titles. They're like Nestle—  they're everywhere, and practically unavoidable unless you boycott the entire industry. 

You have the freedom to avoid Newhome. If you don't like Tencent and their steadily growing monopoly on the gaming industry, then don't buy their products, and don't buy from the companies they own or invest in. More power to you. If you want to try the game for yourself, go ahead. That's entirely up to you.

A very practical reply. I very much agree with these post. I don’t like Tencent, but I have to admit that they have become one of the industry’s giants, and they are rising rapidly, just like China. The most important point, Business is business, no matter what industry it is in, this is the truth.

In today's economic globalization, the potential of the Chinese market I think everyone knows how huge. And the most important point is that klei has a lot of players who love them in China, and as far as I know, klei has huge group of players in China. They have a very good evaluation of klei company. So if klei gave up Chinese players, I would be very shocked.

"Tencent owns a lot in the video game industry, as in, they literally own more than anyone else does. You've probably played plenty of other games that you had no idea were associated with Tencent; Fortnite, League of Legends, Assassins Creed , World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Nier: Automata were all developed by companies that are partially, if not fully, owned by Tencent. There's plenty of more where that comes from, by the way. I just listed a few of the bigger titles . They're like Nestle— they're everywhere, and practically unavoidable unless you boycott the entire industry.” Although I don’t like what Tencent did,But these are the facts you mentioned. and if Klei can get more benefits from the cooperation with the industry’s giant company (not just Tencent), I will take that as a comfort .

Edited by Pikapikap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sunset Skye    9019
8 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

They are better then most, but I respected them because they didn't do stuff like this. I can't see how giving Tencent a license to do what they please with is about anything else but money.

They didn't really give Tencent a license to do what they please with, did they? Tencent is simply the publisher, they're in charge of releasing and marketing the game and then they get some of the sales. The actual game is being developed by Shengqu Games, who again have been stated to be fans of the series. and even have specific content they've been said to enjoy.

6 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Too late. Do you remember when Klei ran the beta for Don't Starve: Hamlet, free for anyone to sign up, and first intended to have a limited number of testers, but when it became apparent that everybody wanted in they opened the registration for everybody who wanted to join and later gave away the whole DLC to the beta participants for free? This kind of recurring generosity is unparalleled in the gaming world and Klei was beyond generous.

That wasn't the reason they let everyone into the beta, though. Hamlet's beta was 100% intended to have 5,000-10,000 people and to remove the game from your library by the end, and they only changed that because:

We're not going to be sending out emails. We decided it would take too long to sync up the emails and the granting of the game in steam. So we're going to just start letting people in by granting access in steam. 

So. If you signed up and you own DS on steam, you will be getting into the beta

Klei is generous in a lot of ways, but you don't have to make up fake ways that Klei was even more generous just to show that Tencent is bad for doing something Klei was intending to do anyway, and is pretty standard for closed betas.

Plus as stated above, this is a multiplayer game with servers. Very different situation from a DLC to the singleplayer game Don't Starve.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 4

1bubbainpa    2211

This whole discussion is a bit silly. We don’t know how the gameplay or pricing model for this game works, nor do we know how much of a grip Klei has with this game.

I think it’s okay to be cautiously pessimistic about this game. Mobile games in general tend to be a bit more greedier than games on other devices. Moreover, the images and references that are provided thus far (especially the pets) got me a bit concerned on the direction of the game.

However, if it turns out to be good and micro transaction less, then ofc I’ll get the game. It’s just a general “buyer-beware” thought process going through my head right now.

• Like 1

4 Da LOLs    3490

my main fears are of Tencent's:track record of censorship in their media and questionable personal data usage bothers me

with Klei seeming to not have any say or involvement of the game I feel like some of these may be sneakily stuck in:

On 6/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, JoeW said:

While this is not being operated by Klei

but if Klei keeps Tencent's reign under control and Klei or some other trustworthy source confirms no foul play with data then sure I would love to try this

I am not against Klei making money with a mobile game I just question Tencent's reputation and past

• Like 2

hyiltiz    486
On 6/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Bluckles said:

Tencent? Really?  I got banned from the discord for saying "Tianemen", no warnings, banned like 10 seconds later. Ironic how you guys will support BLM and be against police brutality here in the U.S., but turn right around and support the Chinese Government and chinese monopolies because its a quick cash grab. A mobile game that you don't even develop yourself. I liked it better when you guys seemed to care about making games instead of grabbing cash. I won't be going anywhere near this game.

I wonder if that $1 million Klei donated to BLM came directly or indirectly from Tencent... Makes you re-think about your life choices...

• Like 2

Mike23Ua    5706

I was watching a movie the other night King Kong: Skull Island and I laughed my butt off when one of the names in the starting credits was Tencent.. 

My point? Their name being on the credit screen didn’t make the movie any worse, I enjoyed it, and yeah I saw it before ages ago but didn’t remember it so watched it again.

From what I’ve seen of the Artworks for this game they’re putting a lot of effort into it, even went so far as to have Wendy’s recently added to DST Pipspooks. 
Rather the game will be a Wallet snatching cash grab or not has yet to be seen... but so far, it’s just looks like a simple mobile game using DS Characters.

Which I find all Together odd as hell if I’m being 100% Honest- Because Klei has ALREADY Released both Don’t Starve Reign of Giants and DS Shipwrecked onto Mobile phones.

And- If We got DS Hamlet and DS Together on Mobile do we even NEED this (not created by Klei) NewHome game?

The only thing I can possibly think that would set NewHome apart from DST (aside from the obvious differences) is that NewHome may be massively online Multiplayer, like an MMO RPG rather then just limited to the 6 players of DST.

Edited by Mike23Ua

hyiltiz    486
15 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I can't imagine being here in this community for almost 4 years and yet seeing Klei in a way like this. Out of all the companies I know, Klei is honestly the most generous, they keep giving out free games and recently even donated 1 million in support of BLM. Would they really do something like this for a quick buck? Shengqu, the developers of Newhome, have also been described as being "fans of Don't Starve", loving specifics aspects like the Forge and Gorge, and they remade the game's whole engine in unity just for this.

Like, are you just saying this because it's a mobile game, or...? Because I can't see any other reason you'd think like this.

The DS/T game engine is pretty damn minimal as it is very highly abstracted out (think Screecher); wouldn't be a huge undertaking to port/reimplement it given source code...

Edited by hyiltiz

TodayChon    3
On 2020/6/25 at AM2点06分, 1bubbainpa said:

我只是说这是什么样的游戏。它具有中国游戏的“光环”,有时会试图窃游戏并复制艺术品,例如:

26969224-86BC-4A6C-B339-5C894FCE5C38.jpeg.d3aa68d891d11abf4502c07bf3fe02c8.jpeg

?????????what????zhizhang

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ShyRo-Zyerenzy    131

I still love Klei and DST , even if mobile users don't like the mobile version they will at some point find themselves with the original DST version or searching it. So it still works as marketing.

• Like 2

maciu67    767
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 12:21 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

people are people

Some people are good some are bad.

• Thanks 1