Sign in to follow this  
Gabu Gabu

Gabu's doodles

CameoAppearance    2688
On 7/7/2020 at 8:48 PM, Gabu Gabu said:

Unless I'm forgetting someone, she is also the only character depicted with actual eyes and not just black beads or empty white voids.

Wickerbottom also has real eyes! Or at least both pupils and scleras. The only time we really see them in-game is when she's knocked out by a mandrake, otherwise it's black beads, but some of her portraits have 'em.

Blue Moth    6147

These all look good, but I feel like Wheeler looks too masculine. I would thin the eyebrows, remove the cheekbone and make her chin less angular. maybe also add black lipstick, because she appears to have black lipstick ingame

I really like the second Wortox drawing and the Warly, those are my favorite of these newest drawings.

wigfrids hat    5202

other than agreeing on the lipstick i think wheeler looks fine. there isn't much of a point to hyper-feminizing a character that reads perfectly well as what they are intended to be just for aesthetic preferences. she matches your personal art style and she reads as wheeler

on a different note, heck, that warly is charming!

• Thanks 1

Gabu Gabu    359

Wheeler looks the way she does for multiple reasons; though she has low health a huge part of her character is that she is a capable fighter. Hence why I emphasized square shapes and sharp angles, which are normally associated with danger and by extension masculinity. It was also done so that she doesn't look like other female characters I've drawn and because I think she's an older character. Though that last part is just my own headcanon where the only basis is that she seems very smart and wise going by quotes, but you can be 20 and smarter than an 80-year-old.

Though you are both right on the lips I have no idea how I missed that with a reference up. Although I don't think that's lipstick so much as she just has prominent lips? In her portrait there are a more natural color whereas in game I think they're black because of the simple art style. Either way I've drawn her with prominent lips before so again I really don't know how I missed that. I also sometimes draw her with single lashes (like Wendy's) though that's less consistent.

Regardless I'm glad you both liked the Warly, I'm very happy with how he came out.

• Thanks 2

wigfrids hat    5202

so i adore seeing this evolution of your understanding(and by the end you are soooo close to it but instead come up with something even better) but it is also an accidentally showing of how you got better at drawing hands and their mobility which is a novel treat to see

• Like 1

Blue Moth    6147

great work on these, I especially love the triumphant, survivor, nostalgic, and supernatural. The face on the gladiator is also great.

Edited by Blue Moth
it's "love" not "lobe"
  • Like 1

Blue Moth    6147
25 minutes ago, Gabu Gabu said:

It be Wigfrid's birthday today! It's Wig time again baby!

bday3.thumb.png.b231ca69e42b7177194f20dcdb48ad39.pngbday1.thumb.png.4a3d0b970cd19e79de26ebb58b3de686.pngbday2.thumb.png.d56172e1cb15c971f0edc50fc0775929.png

yes yes my girl looks great in your artstyle! <3

On 7/6/2020 at 10:48 PM, Gabu Gabu said:

Quick note before we start, with a few exceptions (Wickerbottom) I don't post every drawing I have ever made of these characters, I just post enough to give an idea of how they have evolved. I don't want to give the impression that all my drawings look like the ones I post, because there are some that are crusty. But that is the design process, you gotta wring out what you don't like and stitch together the pieces you do. If I did wanted to show the full process then I should post the all leftover crust, but I just don't want to. Heck I don't adore every single doodle I've posted but I wanted to show how my depictions of how these characters changed over time. I don't know what impression my previous posts were giving on the subject, but it's been nagging me.

Anyway it's Wig time.

1.thumb.png.e1ea0b20add686d8100b06d47991eb6a.png2.thumb.png.d7ad959a3209f8cb3a0bb13e8daf8e86.png

Oh poor Wes. My first couple Wigfrids I really liked, I thought it was a pretty loyal conversion of her character in my style. Then I drew this.

3.thumb.png.f5b2e8b6542b4012b07efc2f91a908b0.png

I thought I had her figured out then a new depiction clicked for me. The previous one was really cartoony, whereas this one just looked like an excited kid. And while Wigfird is a very over-the-top character I find that contrasting that personality with someone fairly normal looking emphasizes that it's all just an act. I say that with the belief that she has been method acting for so long that whoever she once was is gone, but the point still stands that she isn't an actual viking just an actress who is really into vikings.

That said while I look how the youthful approach kinda shows that she's in over her head, she was looking like a teenager and I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be an adult. So I kept elements of this new design while making her look older and more capable of fighting.

4.thumb.png.6779214f8cab787120edb9706ff77480.png5.thumb.png.171da9eef157f7fbc679d9f269b9f5e9.png

I had some old drawings to post, I just had to draw a new Wig. But after drawing the Roseate costume I realized I could draw her even better.

6.thumb.png.e2f8bedc6f9bc77c93319b99f299e104.png7.thumb.png.401da7a2e9e52ef94cbe3875957d9716.png

8.thumb.png.a498c82d0ca509057e245a808348778a.pngicantnumber.thumb.png.b66ac8b0c560c285911fef7985158675.png

Cool. I experimented with a skin, her hair, and tried to figure out more anatomy. And that was supposed to be it but after I posted the Wes I wasn't satisfied. Now I needed to apply all of that with poses more in character.

9.thumb.png.ebecec0860d43887221cf2dc08677605.png10.thumb.png.3a793ce9f465821be244c3edd49bede6.png

Let's throw in a Merrymaker too, why not.

11.thumb.png.89ca34b6dd7c7d641c72a96ae9a687d7.png

Dang all these drawings make me want to play as Wigfrid.

Another thing I want to point out is that I'm having trouble understanding Wigfird's clothes. I've looked at all sorts of artwork and I can't tell if she's wearing a one piece or not, what's going on her shirt, then there is that one time she was depicted with a skirt etc etc. And fanartists can't seem to agree on what she's wearing either? I just went for shorts and a vest thing. I also popped up her collar for that extra camp and edge.

Wigfird was a lot of fun to draw, I'm thinking of posting some Charlie and Winona next.

oh somehow i missed this one!

• Like 1

wigfrids hat    5202

i would 100% play wilba if she looked that cute~<3 what a wee charmer

also i now want to draw wormwood smooching wes since in my headcannon wes is very tall haha