Szczuku

What aspect of the game do you want Klei to focus on more?

Do you want Klei to work more on Survival or Sandbox aspect of the game?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Klei to work more on Survival or Sandbox aspect of the game?

• Survival
    • Sandbox
    • I don't know

Well-met    2525

whats sandbox?

the whole "maintenance" and "cosmetics" parts of the game?

the answer feels rather easy.

• Like 2

I feel like another option should be just optional content or exploration. A lot of the recent things have fallen under this category IMO not necessarily sandbox elements. (Though some like the shells are)

I would rather have some more survival elements. Stuff that impacts you no matter where you are at some point in the game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike23Ua    5586

I think Sandbox and Survival go hand in hand with one another To be honest... and I can not fairly vote on this poll because 

Sandbox implies adding new biomes, new hostile mobs that want you dead and more of Sandbox for you to explore within.

Survival means (please read above sentence)

• Like 2

Szczuku    12788
10 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Edit: This poll for sure needs more options as some others have said

It doesn't.

I'm not asking if you want more enemies, forced content or decorative items.

I'm asking if you play dst because of Survival or because of Sandbox.

Do you prefer fighting enemies, making farms or whatever or do you prefer building and 'shaping' the world to your likes (since this isn't Minecraft or Terraria and we can't really shape the world, but you get the idea)

• Like 1

Mike23Ua    5586

No you asked- What should Klei focus more on. And I feel like that’s an unfair thing to ask.. because Sandbox and Survival are like a good super hero and a good villain without the other... NEITHER could actually exist.

To me the new AoE shattered spiders (which have been in the game since the first RoT update) on their own new island biome is just as much of a Survival thing, as it is a new Sandbox area to explore thing.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2

GenomeSquirrel    834

Sandbox, I like building structures.

Survival in don’t starve games is largely about being punished for not wearing the right hat, and not being sucker punched anymore. I’m not a fan of this approach.

Bellium    139

They need to give more incentive/ revamp farming imo. It's a lot easier to just grab a bunch of berry bushes (and more efficient too) and then a bunch of fertiliser for them, along with just creating a bunch of spider farms for meat and eggs, and have that be you're whole food situation mostly sorted. Really doing much else feels like putting in a whole lot of effort for not much more reward.

jpmrocks    173

Survival, specifically they need to do more with caves. Ocean is a WIP, so Im not worried atm for it, but caves are dull. You only go there for lanterns and ruins, theres nothing that serves any importance down there. 

• Like 2

Pikapikap    664

Of course, it’s both survival and sandbox,Can't separate the two,If you only update the game in one direction, the other part of the player group will be dissatisfied.

• Like 2

Dunk Mujunk    1747

By your definition of sandbox, i'd prefer Klei focused on survival.

However the definition for sandbox in relation to games that I always think of is something like this-

"A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish."

(I took this from here- https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3952/sandbox-gaming . This is more or less how I would define "sandbox" in gaming).

Going by the above, I would like Klei to work on the "sandbox", the world we inhabit when we play. Doing this will also allow for Klei to work on survival at the same time.

Going by your definition of "sandbox", no. Of course I wouldn't want Klei to only work on skins.

• Like 1

Ogrecakes    2962

Core game hasn't seen much love in a long time.

I want more focus on challenge, more seasonal threats, harder hound waves, a summer giant to replace the Dragonfly, anything like that really.

None of the Return of Them content interests me in the slightest because its not worth doing from a core, survival game focused player like me, fishing yields very little food for time spent, and you can just cast a line without lures and bait to get Wobsters right at the edge of the main island.

The moon island is just pillaged for its stone fruit and starfish traps, and then it provides nothing else of real value, the celestial altars crafts are mediocre compared to many other, much easier to obtain items, the Hermit crab provides nothing of survival use, the Malbatross and Crab King both have pretty worthless drops (so far), Gnarwails aren't worth hunting and they hardly show up, Skitter Squids I've seen maybe twice, and they just run off, and they dont provide useful drops. Unless you're playing Warly, salt is worthless and is only used once, and the Cookie Cutter Cap is also worthless, treasure hunting's drops are REALLY bad...

Pretty much every update has been about checklist, trophy content, that is "challenging", but completely optional and doesn't pose any constant threat, and often doesn't even yield a useful reward, more cosmetic and trophy stuff.

Edited by Ogrecakes
  • Like 4

Charlie Dark    3637
2 hours ago, minespatch said:

Survival and cat creatures. I want more kitties in the game.:wilson_ecstatic:

Oh! I know what you'd want!   The... bacoons? Sadly, they never got implemented... But they look so CUTE in the concept art!

post-236059-0-26789200-1417633186_thumb.jpg.23b42a7267f4348f8adf4706c231a5e1.jpg Couldn't find a bigger image but I think it's visible enough.

• Like 4

Mike23Ua    5586

Meanwhile I just want Hamlet Pogs in DST.. they happen to be cute and I’ve fallen in love with them!

(Hamlet seems to have a lot of the Stuff DST as a Whole suffers from..)

Lack of Challenge, Lack of Environment.. I mean yes today is the release of HAMLET on Xbox but from what I can tell by playing it content on this scale should’ve existed in DST a long time ago..

What I mean by that is- A Simple change like Poisonous Frogs that are in Hamlet.. can make you fear frogs again.

Hamlet seems to be overall advanced past DST.. and by that I mean the actual WORLD Itself- DST you can run around for wide stretches of empty vast lands filled with mostly nothing (or sometimes even ACTUALLY Nothing) 

Where as DS Hamlet seems to have a little more life, I saw some cute little Tree Squirrels (tiny little dudes and I didn’t try to interact with them..) as Well as some Pigeons & tiny little bugs crawling around in grass which were noticeably smaller in size then ANY of DST’s Mobs..

Disclaimer: I have not played Hamlet enough to clarify rather these almost microscopic looking mobs have any ACTUAL Gameplay purpose or if they’re simply just there to be purely cosmetic.. 

But I could tell just from the short play session I had in my Ham world that the Environment itself seems to feel more alive and bursting with life.  

TL:DR is I want more Sandbox Biomes to Survive within.

Edited by Mike23Ua

Szczuku    12788
9 hours ago, joker177 said:

Of course, it’s both survival and sandbox

Well obviously. I'm not asking Klei to turn dst into survival-only or sandbox-only type of game. 

8 hours ago, YouKnowWho said:

I feel like you make a post like this after every update.

I don't see the problem. In the slightest in fact

Edited by Szczuku

YouKnowWho    7927
1 hour ago, Szczuku said:

I don't see the problem. In the slightest in fact

There’s no problem, of course, it’s just something I thought I’d point out. No worries, yeah?

• Like 1

minespatch    74196
2 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

Oh! I know what you'd want!   

Just any cat mobs. If hounds and other dog themed creatures can be in the game, I'd like some kitties besides catcoons and antlion.

• Like 2