Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Sweaper

How would you make this game harder if you were a dev tasked to do so?

Sweaper    690

For me by making armor way weaker, with the best reducing only 33% of damage and while wearing any armor you don't get any speed boost from items. Also food/healing taking 3.5~5 seconds to eat.

What would you change? Brainstorm your thoughts.

Edit: Is my English that broken that I get so many people confused?

Edit2: Give every monster at least 3 attack patterns that goes off randomly.

Edit3: It's okay if your idea changes completely how one would play DST, that's the point.

Sweaper    690
1 minute ago, TopNoob said:

Why don't you host a cave only server

If there weren't bunnies or lichen it would be quite hard. Shrooms all day everyday.

ArubaroBeefalo    3418

that you puke if you eat with full stomach

armor being more weak but not a 33%, maybe 70 or 60. Football helmet and wooden armor are so easy to craft and provides a lot of protection

nerfing characters like warly, wendy, wolfgang, wortox, wicked and wx(he just need a total rework since he was release but more in dst where you have infinity amount of gears)  (maybe im forgeting another op character)

nerfing food and food sources. Bunnymen farm are just stupid, catcoons are to easy to kill for a large meat, monster meat is so easy to get and make useful. Also food that gives 40hp is just too much when you can mass produce it so easy. Healing salves and honey potions are useless unless you are wormwood

making bosses like treeguards (6living logs per boss is stupid), moose goose or bearger more dinamics

making more insanity penalties, right now is only a noob killer and makes dark sword OP

more weather and extreme conditions. A winter in day 1000 should be more tough than a 21 day winter

mobs with attack patters like, atleast, hamlet

eyebrella should provide at most a 90% wetness protection

removing tooth traps from the game

winona catapults should require rocks to work, is silly that you have infinity ammo

removing the freeze effect of icefligomatic

x0-VERSUS-1y    5618

Realistically almost all of above proposals would make game unplayable for bulk player-base. Sometimes I believe "try-hards" actually disdain all newbies/noobs/casuals/etc aka non-very advanced people to the point they would rather not have them at all in pubs. If on the other hands "try-hards" are solo/only-playing-alone.. what can I say: very limited social experience for a game geared towards multiplayer.

For me a realistic way to make DST harder late-game would be the 1-step increment-in-difficulty via player-triggered event akin 1st Fw-takedown: after you deal with a very hard boss, world goes through a global change that ups all stakes in all fields - "smartens" mobs and bosses AIs (no longer priority for bait over player, no more wall pathfinder infinite-loop etc), brings harsher meteorological and seasonal conditions, brings more RNG in weather patterns, ups mobs and bosses indices (HP, attack), brings more attack patterns in mobs/bosses, biomes get slight modifications with more types of hostile mobs and vegetation, etc - perhaps something akin to Through the Ages concept.

Still one should be mindful such changes cannot go the route of ad infinitum scaling - else DST would just become a giant mob/boss rush Battle Arena with a clear end: you inevitably dying.

Scrimbles    3258

The seasons have become a bit stale for Veteran players, so new threats like Snowstorms, Acid Rain, or something like a reworked Hayfever for spring with more counters could be interesting.

Sanity is often a joke, and a lot of Veteran players prefer to permanently stay insane to farm Nightmare Fuel off of the super easy shadow creatures, increasing the amount of shadow spawns, maybe adding more shadows, and giving the Terror Beak and Crawling Horror new attacks could help.

A lot of giants like the Deerclops are easy, so giving them extra attacks, or half health new phase triggers like Klaus would make them feel like more of a threat again.

In summer, Klei removed the original Dragonfly, so re-adding her would bring back a huge threat, ontop of maybe making the Antlion's sinkholes not a joke? Up the destruction, the threat to your world if you let them happen.

A lot of crockpot recipes, like meatballs, take priority over most other foods, so making it harder to use monster meat, and adding a 2 twigs/ice limit to recipes would help prevent people from just making filler foods of great value with very little effort.

Rebalancing a lot of foods like Lobster Dinner, Meatballs, and Pierogi's would help diversify peoples cooking.

Characters like Wolfgang, Wicker, and WX-78 are flat out over powered, and some of their main "downsides" is how quick they go insane, but as previously stated insanity is kind of a joke, so changing insanity would help bring these 3 down a bit. They could also use nerfs, like Wolfgang not getting a passive 25% speed boost simply for being high hunger, Wicker could maybe not be able to read books while insane, and On Tentacles could be more temporary instead of a spammable trap that can solo all bosses, WX-78's overcharge is good enough, and is a relic of old Don't Starve when lightning was less common, now he can heal ONE HUNDRED health every lightning strike, at the cost of sanity, so removing that heal would be a proper hit.

Caves lost their heat in Summer, making staying on the surface practically pointless, I wish that would come back, maybe add some new cave mobs and threats.

So, basically, Uncompromising Mode (now at 15,000 subscribers woo!)

not shilling I swear

Moonatik    345
1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Realistically almost all of above proposals would make game unplayable for bulk player-base. Sometimes i believe "try-hards" actually disdain all newbies/noobs/casuals/etc aka non-very advanced people to the point they would rather not have them at all in pubs. If on the other hands "try-hards" are solo/only-playing-alone.. what can I say: very limited social experience for a game geared towards multiplayer.

For me a realistic way to make DST harder late-game would be the 1-step increment-in-difficulty via player-triggered event akin 1st Fw-takedown: after you deal with a very hard boss, world goes through a global change that ups all stakes in all fields - "smartens" mobs and bosses AIs (no longer priority for bait over player, no more wall pathfinder infinite-loop etc), brings harsher meteorological and seasonal conditions, bring more RNG in weather patterns, ups mobs and bosses indices (HP, attack), brings more attack patterns in mobs/bosses, biomes get slight modifications with more types of hostile mobs and vegetation, etc - perhaps something akin to Through the Ages concept.

Still one should be mindful such changes cannot go the route of ad infinitum scaling - else DST would just become a giant mob/boss rush Battle Arena with a clear end: you inevitably dying.

I like the idea the more you play and the more it could be difficult. I always thought that the hard mode should not be separate but a choice at some point. Maybe after doing specific things.

Create some new difficulties after your 1st Fuelweaver take down, why not. But also after all the optionnal bosses 1st takedown. They could have some effects on the world. It could force you to beat them again if you want some peace, until it restarts. Could you imagine mush trees + bees + lavae spawning on surface if you let all these bosses alive too long ?

A new difficulty could start every year, new weather effects every year. Sand storm could affect the all world sometimes.

But my favorite one would be the possibility to cast a specific spell , summoning dark times for a year. But it would mean a lot of work.

I'm not sure of the inevitable death. This ad infinitum scaling is not new. Many games which offers some kind of horde mode already used that. It would become a non sense. I'd prefer to see something hard I could fail, and seeing my entire game failed if I wouldn't prepare myself good enough, but I want to pass it through if I do the right (hard) things. Like my full year of dark times, where even rollbacks would be useless, but where some exit exists.

Mike23Ua    6338

Take away the hand holding features- make it a REAL Survival Simulator..

no warnings signs or sounds for hound waves they just happen any time randomly. 

no shovel to move the forest to your base and have infinite supplies without leaving home.

I would disable health regeneration for eating foods or sleeping- because in reality bandages and time to heal heals cuts and wounds, not eating a pizza then taking a nap.

I would make things like collecting beefalo wool harder by making you actually have to hunt one down and kill it for its wool instead of just easily getting it by its current methods.

I would buff Spider Warriors so they can deal poisonous damage over time like in Shipwrecked.

I would NERF THE HECK out of Using Ice as a crockpot filler- Anything plus 3 Ice would result in Wet Goop.

I would make sure that not EVERY Problem had a tool you could craft that nullifies said problem (cough cough Summer Wildfires & Icefling machine)

I would make Bosses that drop useful items (Eyebrella) not drop anything that helps you stay alive..

NERF THE HECK out of the Thermal Stone- so it can no longer be the only item you need to survive both Summer and Winter, you’ll also need a nice hat and coat to go with your pocket rock.

And as if that wasn’t enough.. I would add some unpreventable world disasters that you’ll need to pick up what’s left and rebuild or perish.. stuff like tornadoes wrecking up your base, floods washing your base into the ocean if you put it to close to the edge of an island, Wildfires with no permanent solution to them, Earthquakes, landslides.

No more of this Meta crap.. 

No more building a Bird Cage and putting birds inside pumping them full of Monster Meat or Seeds for Infinite Eggs and Farming Foods.

no more Pig King sitting on his little biome to grant players free endless gold for just bringing him some mostly useless junk.. you want gold? You aren’t going to find it laying around in biomes your familiar with finding it in.. no free gold laying in foggy cemeteries.. etc.

The TL:DR- When I originally bought Don’t Starve I bought it because it was advertised as “an Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game.. Where every time I Play the game spawns a randomly generated world full of things that hate me and want me to Die” and that’s what I would like to see a mode where you have to actually SURVIVE whatever the WILDERNESS throws at You.

You guys are bashing me saying I don’t know how to make an Uncompromising game if I want bosses to be easier.. and that couldn’t be further away from the truth, the World itself, the Environment the Wilderness you are tasked to survive within should be what’s killing you MOST not going to a very specific biome and attempting to do battle with a totally optional boss.

Don't Starve relies a lot on expectation in it's difficulty, the more you know, the better off you'll do. In order to make the game truly harder, you'll need to make certain things that players rely on less consistent. Essentially, you need to make the player "re-learn" the game each time they play by making certain animals not spawn in the same place or behave in the same way. Certain setpieces not appearing in the same biome; stuff like that. 

Moonatik    345

When I'm reading some things, I just want to be The Great Eraser. And free your mind of anything related to DST, and then seeing you discover the game once again. That would be a great show. I bet on that.

cantbeatdaboss    491
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I would make Bosses that drop useful items (Eyebrella) not drop anything that helps you stay alive..

Pretty much all bosses, including the seasonal bosses, are already optional.  Taking away the one reason for killing bosses would mean that people would just never fight bosses.  Bosses are an integral part of the game to the majority of the playerbase, so removing the reason to fight them would be a big problem.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

no warnings signs or sounds for hound waves they just happen any time randomly.

Although I kind of get the idea that you have to be prepared for hounds to attack at any time, that would be very annoying bringing extra resources to a fight and then not needing them.  And in the late game it would just result in making the player either always have a pan flute and/or just run around for a few minutes until they get to something that can help you deal with the hounds.

TopNoob    197

A penalty for overfeeding your character, like reducing sanity or just making food provide no benefits, this would prevent you from spamming healing/sanity food items 

SaltyWarly    18

Adding some weather disasters and some structures for each of them to see them coming beforehand (like Rain-o-Meter). Example: Tornadoes for Autumn, Snowstorms for Winter, Flooding for Spring and Hayfever for Summer. Chance for these should scale the longer the world lasts (up to max xx%/day).

Caves should be nerfed somehow. Especially for Summer.

Every character should have some allergy for better balance. That could be anything from temperatures, monsters or foods (ingredients).

Meals should not heal as much as they do now.

Bunnymen's drops should be nerfed to pigmen's level.

Canis    12846

I would incorporate RNG into the game. Most people hear "RNG" and get scared, but hear me out. The reason why DST is so hard to new players is that the world around them is unpredictable. On the other hand, the reason why DST is so easy to experienced players is because once you learn everything DST has to offer, things become TOO predictable.

When I say RNG, I mean things along the lines of:

• Giving mobs new attacks which have a random chance to occur instead of a normal attack, but they are telegraphed so players have a chance to react. These attacks should make the player kite differently than the regular attack. For example, you can kite a pig by just walking away from it, but if it CHARGES at you, you have to sidestep.
  • Make mobs randomly spawn in the world. If you wander through the wilderness, who knows what predator (or prey) you will stumble across. This would be especially potent at night, and would give players a reason not to just waltz around with a torch and instead bunker down for the night with a campfire.

Of course, I have other ideas, but they're either implemented in Uncomp already, or is a planned feature for the future.

Spoiler

One of these features is "Random Night Events", which is a core gameplay mechanic involving RNG that will be in the next major update of Uncomp. I'm not really spoiling anything as this is common knowledge on our discord, and Jazzy showcased the feature on his stream (or rather, tried to. He got REALLY unlucky with RNG and got only one RNE in the span of 25 days. Or maybe that's considered lucky...)

Mysterious box    289

It's already been said here but I feel the main things that would help is

-Remove hp gain from food tbh doesn't make much sense anyway medicine and magic should be the only viable healing methods.

-rebalance hunger and sanity gain on crockpot dishes distributing values more evenly between meat and veggies.

-make all equipment both armors and weather protections have impactful trade offs no complete improvements

-enforce consequences for specific actions for example hunting too much of a specific mob

Lumberlocke    1042
4 hours ago, TopNoob said:

A penalty for overfeeding your character, like reducing sanity or just making food provide no benefits, this would prevent you from spamming healing/sanity food items 

I think this would be a really good place to start. Add some new healing items into the survival tab with lesser-used ingredients, maybe some healing items that lower your sanity while giving incentive to use healing salves and poultices.

Hornete    4574

its not nessacarily harder, but I'd like to see more world progression. I really liked building pearls home over time. a nice but simple idea I always had was for forge mobs to invade through the gateway after you defeat the fuelweaver, they'd colonize your world over time and you would have to back them off and send them back to their realm.

Owlrus    3011

Any change to the game's difficulty risks being a controversial change in a sense; not to mention that there are many small details that, if changed, could completely warp the way that people play this game. 

For example:

1. Making Pigmen, Bunnymen, and Merms not spawn from their houses after they have been killed more than 5 times each. This would make farming much more difficult, and force players to find other ways to eat on top of both building houses less and getting help from them more.
  2. Not being able to over-eat food items (as said above by other members). This would drastically encourage players to use healing Items such as a Honey Poultice or Healing Salves as they can no longer benefit from bringing foods into battle in a reliable way.
  3. Only Ruins shadow creatures drop Nightmare Fuel. A change like this would make fuel-farming less reliable on the surface, and promote the idea of both staying sane and hinder any benefit of being insane; making insanity a clear threat.
  4. Only being able to craft at a crafting station such as the Alchemy Engine, or Shadow Manipulator save for a few select items like the axe. Not unlike the Pseudoscience station, such a change would force people to think about what they want before venturing out.
  5. Not sleeping in a tent or bed roll can cause drowsiness after awhile. This would make sleeping mandatory, while also proving to harm the player if they neglect their drowsiness. Albeit giving some use to the tent and bedroll, this would severely affect the way Wickerbottom plays.
  6. Food dropped on the ground or put in any container severely hastens the rate that it spoils. Again, encouraging people to eat their food while they have it, and penalizing those that don't take care of it.

Some of these are my ideas, and some were ideas I had heard before; but as you can see sometimes changes can warp the way that players may approach things going forward if not done right.

Lukmendes    70

It's complicated to just make the game harder because it can just make some stuff more of a pain in the ass than making the game more interesting.

One idea I have for increased difficulty is to make a character have consequences for eating a lot of food when they're already at full stomach, but then you have to think, does that make the game better? Because doing that makes Pierogi and Dragon Pie way worse, I can also see it making Wolfgang worse in a not fun way, because either he'd have to bring foods that don't fill stomach too much around, like Taffy or Blue Mushrooms, but then once the stomach is full, then he has to stop eating, of course, bringing healing items could be the solution, but nerfing food like this would make the game lose some of its freedom.

It's easy to say "nerf this, nerf that, buff this, buff that", but the consequences of doing some things can make the game worse, specially nerfs, since like I mentioned in the food example, nerfs naturally take out part of the freedom of a game, and that can be a good thing, but also bad, and I guess that's why Klei plays so safe, because we have casuals who can't survive autumn, veterans who can kill Dragonfly with their eyes closed while washing dishes, and everything in between, pleasing everyone is just not an option, and some changes, even if they look small, can have a butterfly effect on the game, which can be good, or bad, and the risk is worth considering.

Mike23Ua    6338

I’m pretty sure this would all be tied to it’s own mode right? One idea I really hate that people throw around a lot is the thought of the world becoming progressively harder the longer the world exists.

This May be fine from an expert players stand point, but think about the casuals and the new players man.... Those people are going to join one of these progressively harder worlds and they’re only going to have even more of a rough time enjoying the game.

Surely SOME of you have to have friends or Siblings who are significantly less skilled than you right? Aight they see you online- They join your game.. whoopsie you killed FuelWeaver or are on Summer Year 4.. they’re going to be living in a NIGHTMARE and not the fun kind.

Its okay to discuss ways to change up the game as long as those changes do not further separate people from playing and enjoying the game TOGETHER with their friends..