Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Xantown7

Woodie and the ruin rush

Xantown7    91

Hello !

I just discovered how the reworked Woodie is overperforming about rushing the ruins, it's even easier than with WX imo, and I'd like to have you guys input about this.

I'll explain what I did and why I think Woodie is so good :

- Doesn't need food (food is "refilled" to the maximum while transformed), only blue caps for health
- Doesn't need armor (fighting with Moose)
- Doesn't need a good light source (transformations have night vision)
- Negates the major RNG's encumbrances :
-> Faster chances of spawning Treeguard
-> Thanks to less preparation required and Goose's speed, exploring the caves and ruins is way faster so their structure isn't really impacting

About the preparation before going to the ruins, get all the seeds passing by, you should arrive at 30+ within the end of the preparation. Except that you only need some dozens of twigs (for torches/pickaxes), same for grasses (for torches/campfires/idols), no more than a few logs (just to craft 1 beaver idol and a campfire) and 3 living log, this is incredibly fast to get ! The last step is to get all the monster meats (used for the idols), this is what you do the last because the monster meat will stale pretty fast. After that you craft your backpack, you can craft a spear in case shadows attack you in normal form, and a pickaxe/golden pickaxe.

There are few general rules/common sense to have in mind :

Planning ahead every time (Woodie's mains should be used to it), watch the Weremeter to manage the transitions since this is your most vulnerable moments, don't forget to unequip the torch before transforming back
If the monster meat becomes stale, craft the required idols
Always have a torch for when woodie transform back
Always have a campfire pre-craft
Flee from shadows while in Goose form to make them despawn
Ideally refill until 130+ HP by eating blue cap(s) between each transformation, especially before the moose form

So about the rush process itself, Woodie's transformations bypass basically everything you need to care about when you want to rush the ruins (food, light and armor), so here's what I do once I enter the caves :

Goose form -> search for the blue mushroom biome (thankfully it is always close to the ruins)
Beaver -> cut blue mushtrees for at least 1 stack of blue caps, this is the only time Woodie will transform into the Beaver form but it is a really important step
Woodie -> pause time, collect the blue caps and logs (max 1 stack of logs to not overcharge the inventory), recover health
Goose -> search for ruins, ancient pseudostation and explore, try to scout the locations for collecting gems and planning ahead

Moose -> finally starting to transform into Moose to kill the necessary stuff in the ruins, so first kill pseudostation's guardians and clockworks next to gems' statues
Woodie -> refill health and mine statues around the nightmare cycle (warning and dawn phase), to take adventage of the statues' light
Goose -> for movements if necessary, be aware each Goose transformation will "use" 1 bluecap
Repeat these 3 steps until having the necessary ressources for your ancient crafts (for me it's like 1 green gem, 2 yellow, 11 fuel, 7 thulecite minimum, but it depends of what you want)

Goose -> get back to the ancient pseudostation
Woodie -> 2nd pause time, set up campfire, refull health and start your crafting stuff

Goose -> gtfo

And here you go, you are basically carried by your transformations and your stacks of bluecaps, I want to know what are you thinking about it, maybe I'm just late to the train and everyone knew Woodie were really strong for ruin rush, but I didn't see any thread about it, so what do you guys think ?

KeshS    3411
44 minutes ago, Xantown7 said:

And here you go, you are basically carried by your transformations and your stacks of bluecaps, I want to know what are you thinking about it, maybe I'm just late to the train and everyone knew Woodie were really strong for ruin rush, but I didn't see any thread about it, so what do you guys think ?

The problem is how much monster meat are we talking about getting? If I follow your guide of transformations it would require at least 21 monster meats to pull this off, which can be a hastle since the only good biome for monster meat is swamp and spider nests are tier 1 early game.

The other problem is fighting, and specifically, rooks. They usually hit and run and the weremoose has to chase them in order to kill, which drains the weremeter much quicker.

52 minutes ago, Xantown7 said:

it's even easier than with WX imo

I am not sure if it is easier in terms of fighting, but WX can definitely stay there longer because blue caps restore 20 hp when almost turning to rot. So woodie has to rush ruins pretty quickly to avoid blue caps turning 50% freshness. 

I still prefer wigfrid since, helmets are cheap, she doesn't need hp consumption, sanity is always up, lots of meat in ruins.

bruhmoment23    5881
4 minutes ago, KeshS said:

The problem is how much monster meat are we talking about getting? If I follow your guide of transformations it would require at least 21 monster meats to pull this off

Thanks for pointing that out, i was about to comment on that aswell. Monster meat isnt that hard to obtain, but the amount of transformations mentioned in the op is rather rapid, it would take like 2,5 days or so to gather that amount or just keep resupplying it while in caves.

8 minutes ago, KeshS said:

The other problem is fighting, and specifically, rooks. They usually hit and run and the weremoose has to chase them in order to kill, which drains the weremeter much quicker.

Exactly. Not to mention the swarm of shadow creatures that will be after your tail 24/7, mid-fight this can screw you over very hard. Even as goose, you wont be able to fully outrun/kill them.

Not to be an ass or anything, but this "guide" seems abit over-exaggerated, especially with the "easier than wx" part.

Raeku    258

This is an interesting thought. Whether or not it is better than other rushers, it is a fun experiment!

I'll have to be sure to give this a shot sometime.

Thanks for the post, OP!

Xantown7    91

Hey again ! Thanks for the feedbacks, I'll try to answer your concerns

On 6/5/2020 at 1:46 PM, KeshS said:

The problem is how much monster meat are we talking about getting? If I follow your guide of transformations it would require at least 21 monster meats to pull this off, which can be a hastle since the only good biome for monster meat is swamp and spider nests are tier 1 early game.

Yes it is definitely the longest preparation you will have to do, as you need like 2 stacks of them. However, since the rest of the preparation needed is fast (3 days maximum I'd say), you can take more time into getting those monster meats, and despite the spider nests being tier 1, there are so many it's actually quite easy to get a lot of monster meat as the spiders respawn here and then. There are few random events that will eventually help you to gain time with monster meats, like the forest or rock biom having A LOT of spider dens. I didn't really have an issue to get all the monster meat I needed, it may take one or two extra days but it's worth it form the days you saved with the rest of the preparation. Your rush will overall be faster thanks to Goose speed and night vision in the caves so you can take your time for the preparation if you need to. For my part I also don't really want to resuply in the caves as there is no real occasion for that except the spiders in the blue mushroom biome.

The grace period for the were-meter is pretty long now, so for the rooks you usually have the time to dash for them when they dash out, you can also lure them into the borders, and extra bonus for some unknown reason, you are immune to their dash attack when you dash on them too. There is not much to be worried about, you scouted them previously with the goose exploration so you know where to transform to get into them quickly, don't start a rook fight is you only have 20 in your were-meter !

On 6/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, bruhmoment23 said:

Exactly. Not to mention the swarm of shadow creatures that will be after your tail 24/7, mid-fight this can screw you over very hard. Even as goose, you wont be able to fully outrun/kill them.

That's actually not true at all, shadow creatures despawn a lot since you're mostly fleeing with Goose, you overrun them easily and they can't chase you, ever Terrorbeak ! I didn't get much of them, if they appear when you're Moose of course you don't want to deal with 3 monsters at the same time so you cancel your clockwork fight and kill them, they can even help you with the grace period of the were-meter.

On 6/5/2020 at 2:25 PM, ArubaroBeefalo said:

When the moose meter is low how do you deal with terrorbeaks?

So this is the kind of timing that really sucks if you don't have the weremeter/health needed to kill it. I'd recomment crafting an extra idol before transforming into Moose or Goose in case something like this happen. Dash on a safe zone with no clockwork / nightmare creature spawn, I think the worse here is during the transition as you might take a free hit. Take your torch and eat your blue caps while running from it and transform back thanks to the idol crafted beforehand ! That a part of planning things ahead.

I am not sure if it is easier in terms of fighting, but WX can definitely stay there longer because blue caps restore 20 hp when almost turning to rot. So woodie has to rush ruins pretty quickly to avoid blue caps turning 50% freshness. 

Yes most of characters can stay longer in the ruins, and that's good because they don't have the Goose speed you have. The blue caps won't stay long in your inventory when you rush with Woodie, you will get everything done within 5 days past the Blue Mushroom's biome ! You also don't want to make your rush longer as at this point you only have like 30 monster meats in your inventory anyway. Be sure to know the biome pattern and how to find the ruins, knowing how the biomes generation works will prevent you to lose the time you need !

KeshS    3411

I tried this build and woodie does seem to clear ruins really fast but there is a huge drawback.

4 hours ago, Xantown7 said:

Negates the major RNG's encumbrances :

Woodie is at the mercy of rng if he can find the necessary biomes fast enough, which is: A biome with lots of monster meat and blue cap forest. Scouting can eat up alot of time as well. You can pretty much navigate and pin point ruins, but blue forest is completely rng.

I am taking that factor into consideration  because WX doesn't have to find the blue cap forest he can eat gears in ruins.

BeeClops    371

i did a few ruin rushes with woodie myself, while it is absolutely best for exploring the caves at rapid pace, i also don't find the moose that good at fighting if things get messy down there, and i also feel that it has an added risk and difficulty than with other characters, in the sense that you have to be very aware of your meter. 

ArubaroBeefalo    3478
1 hour ago, Xantown7 said:

i still finding this very dangerous. With others you can heal when you need but woodie dont and being damaged and followed by enemies meanwhile you need to use another effigie that cost 20hp can ruin the entire run. I see it as a high risk high reward way of rushing ruins but not as easy as for example wx, with him you dont even need armor lel (thing that limits the exploration with other characters) because of how massive the heal is and how high his stats grow (you can tank a lot of hits with no armor)

I’d like to say that in terms of the monster meat supply, I found depth worms to be the best bet since you’ll usually bump into some on your way there. I didn’t usually find myself prepping much meat beforehand and would have a healthy amount. 

Xantown7    91
On 6/5/2020 at 5:19 PM, KeshS said:

I tried this build and woodie does seem to clear ruins really fast but there is a huge drawback.

Woodie is at the mercy of rng if he can find the necessary biomes fast enough, which is: A biome with lots of monster meat and blue cap forest. Scouting can eat up alot of time as well. You can pretty much navigate and pin point ruins, but blue forest is completely rng.

I am taking that factor into consideration  because WX doesn't have to find the blue cap forest he can eat gears in ruins.

Since you don't need much preparation you can take more time on the surface, finding the swamps or a spider biom don't have to be fast despite being a priority ! About the blue mushroom forest, finding it is faster with Goose, that's why I said it kinda negates this RNG but of course it's as random as any other character. The good thing is it is close to the ruins !

A lot of you are not at ease with Moose and fighting with it, it has his advantages and disadvantages, you have to survey the weremeter and plan ahead more, but thanks to the Moose form you don't have to prepare any armor, you are safe from the armor-breaking situation and the dark, the real danger is being chased by a terrorbeak just before you have to transform back. Shadows are safe, fast and easy to kill as Moose. I think it's more an habit to take, I wouldn't take the risk is high or higher than the others characters, of course that's the riskier phase of the rush since that's when you fight, it gets easier as you get used to it and learn the ins and outs (:

Fighting depth worms to get monster meat seems like a really good plan to save even more time !

Thanks a lot for your input everyone !