Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

maciu67

Anyone is happy that the fourth character is a human?

Mike23Ua    6601
1 minute ago, maciu67 said:

Because I am.

That’s still yet to be determined.. Woodie looks completely Human too at first glance, just saying.

bruhmoment23    5927
5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Woodie looks completely Human too at first glance, just saying.

Woodie IS human. Just because he can change forms via totems doesnt mean he's somekind of space vomit that turns into anything it devours.

Zeklo    18280

Yes and no.

I think non-humans have the most freedom for interesting design/mechanics. Not to mention they can provide new lore regarding the Constant seeing as they originate from it. It also has the nice bonus of keeping paid content away from the "main survivor's storyline" since they aren't really kidnapped/looking to go home. They're non-essential.

I'm just curious to see what they do here, and how they handle it. 

maciu67    809
17 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Yes and no.

I think non-humans have the most freedom for interesting design/mechanics. Not to mention they can provide new lore regarding the Constant seeing as they originate from it. It also has the nice bonus of keeping paid content away from the "main survivor's storyline" since they aren't really kidnapped/looking to go home. They're non-essential.

I'm just curious to see what they do here, and how they handle it. 

True but already we got three non-human characters.

22 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

interesting design/mechanics.

I hope his slingshot won't be Wheeler's pew-matic horn reskin.

Zeklo    18280
7 minutes ago, maciu67 said:

True but already we got three non-human characters.

Sure, four non-humans total, but what... 12 humans total?

I'm ultimately fine with it, as I've said.
My only small nitpick is I was hoping the last DLC character would be female, so we got 1:1 on the genders.

MagicalSkies    826
1 minute ago, Zeklo said:

I'm ultimately fine with it, as I've said.
My only small nitpick is I was hoping the last DLC character would be female, so we got 1:1 on the genders.

Finally someone points out the genders aren’t balanced, thank you!

ArubaroBeefalo    3759
6 minutes ago, MagicalSkies said:

but we cant say that dst has a high gender dominance. we have importand female characters (not only 1 and sexualiced like in other games) and incluside a non determined one like wormwood. Its one thing i like in this game, the ratio isnt 1:1 but isnt low, is interesting the variety that brings

Lumberlocke    1066

Honestly, it didn't matter to me, but i'm super excited for Walter. There are only so many interesting human "jobs" and stuff to base a character on, but a boy scout has SO much potential for a unique nomadic/ranged character with prior knowledge in survival and stuff. I think it's rather refreshing to get another human character because it leaves more room for unique dialogue/quotes, rather than the super simplistic descriptions provided by Wormwood and Wurt. (Though Wortox provided rather unique descriptions with rhymes and such.) :D

Walter will (probably) have a backstory and some lore attached to him, but the way I see it, as long as he isn't a super major plot character locked behind DLC, he's fine by me. (It'd be like if Warly was DLC, yes, he wants to return to his Maman in the real world, but he doesn't add any important lore, he's just another one of the constant's victims looking to return home.)

bruhmoment23    5927
17 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but we cant say that dst has a high gender dominance. we have importand female characters (not only 1 and sexualiced like in other games) and incluside a non determined one like wormwood. Its one thing i like in this game, the ratio isnt 1:1 but isnt low, is interesting the variety that brings

13 male and 9 female characters, counting in those from solo ds.

In dst only, there are 9 males and 6 females ( offical playable characters, including Walter )

Unclassified : Wx and Wormwood,

All though some people see a male persona in wx, i don't really want to give a robot a gender, nor a talking plant. I also have not included Charlie since she's not an actual playable character.

ArubaroBeefalo    3759
21 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

13 male and 9 female characters, counting in those from solo ds.

In dst only, there are 9 males and 6 females ( offical playable characters, including Walter )

Unclassified : Wx and Wormwood,

All though some people see a male persona in wx, i don't really want to give a robot a gender, nor a talking plant. I also have not included Charlie since she's not an actual playable character.

I see 11 male, 9 female (Wurt is a girl, not so pretty but a girl) and 2 undetermined. 12 with the new one, as i said there is a different but atleast is not like in other games that only include girls because of boobs

Owlrus    3246

This thread is devolving from discussions of species, to discussions of gender. As for what OP asked, I am thrilled Walter is a human; mainly because people have been asking/hoping for a lore-heavy character, and another human from the outside world fits that bill perfectly. I ecstatic to know where his role fits in the storyline.

Sunset Skye    9326

It's always super weird to me when people list Wormwood, a character consistently referred to with he/him, as "undetermined." With gender in a videogame, it's most always as simple as looking at pronouns and then using them. Hence, Wormwood is male and WX is non-binary, as the game consistently refers to both of them with their respective pronouns.

Anyway, Walter being human is cool I suppose. I tend to like monster characters more just because they look more interesting to me, but he seems like a cute little guy. Plus yeah, there's lore potential due to being from the real world.

PunkShark    953

Look, i like the non-human characters. but the thing is its getting too gimmicky. especially with all the cute personalities. Webber was the first one so that seemed kind of unique, Then we have Wormwood who shares the same trait as being cute but has less capability of speech. And now we have Wurt who also has problems of talking and still having the cute personality. 

Wortox and webber share the same monster tag trait .Wurt kind of fits in that category as well since the only things that attack you with the monster trait is pigs and catcoons, bunnymen (Which imo should really be expanded upon). For Wurt its just pigs.

I mean i get it they're all kids so of course they share the cute trait and not being able to speak well. But my god its getting too repetitive now, at least to me. idk how others feel.

Now we're getting Walter who is outside of the non-human list at least but he's still a kid. I hope we're getting something more of a unique personality than just being a child.

Mike23Ua    6601
2 hours ago, MagicalSkies said:

I believe you are heavily forgetting someone muwhahaha *rubs hands together gleefully* and this point As much Klei likes to Tease her that “Soon” Meme is an Understatement.

BreadScientist    386
2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wormwood isn't "non determined", he's a man. At the very least, Wormwood uses he/him pronouns, and I think it is safe to assume that means he identities as male. 

Also, I find it quite weird that everyone is talking about maintaining a 1:1 ratio in a categorical system that isn't limited to two options...

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

It's always super weird to me when people list Wormwood, a character consistently referred to with he/him, as "undetermined." With gender in a videogame, it's most always as simple as looking at pronouns and then using them. Hence, Wormwood is male and WX is non-binary, as the game consistently refers to both of them with their respective pronouns.

Anyway, Walter being human is cool I suppose. I tend to like monster characters more just because they look more interesting to me, but he seems like a cute little guy. Plus yeah, there's lore potential due to being from the real world.

Well, to play devil's advocate, just because someone uses He/Him (for example) that doesn't necessarily mean they are male. Many nonbinary folk still use the pronouns of male/female and I even know a few women who use he/him as well. 

Something tells me that isn't what the other person was implying, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Theoretically I shouldn't be happy. Practically, I'm all about it.

The non-human characters in this game for me are wasted potential and ocasionally a disappointment, (of course exceptions exist like, only Wortox). So I'm happy for a human because I'm just expecting something good rather than game-breaking, since I gave up that hope long ago.

Lammarr    1992

1 hour ago, PunkShark said:

I mean i get it they're all kids so of course they share the cute trait and not being able to speak well. But my god its getting too repetitive now, at least to me. idk how others feel.

Actually, Wormwood doesn't seem to be a child character, at least the other characters doesn't seem to recognize him as such, just pretty unitelligent, kinda like Wolfgang, his character cabinet description thing doesn't call him young like the other child characters and Wortox doesn't seem to have soft spot for Wormwood judging by his quotes, unlike the other child characters where he always mentions that he won't eat their souls when examining their ghosts. 

BreadScientist    386
2 minutes ago, Lammarr said:

Actually, Wormwood doesn't seem to be a child character, at least the other characters doesn't seem to recognize him as such, just pretty unitelligent, kinda like Wolfgang, his character cabinet description thing doesn't call him young like the other child characters and Wortox doesn't seem to have soft spot for Wormwood judging by his quotes, unlike the other child characters where he always mentions that he won't eat their souls when examining their ghosts. 

Wormwood is like 3 days old

Lammarr    1992
6 minutes ago, BreadScientist said:

Wormwood is like 3 days old

Well, not really, Wormwood is a amalgam of vines given sentience by lunar magic, so if you consider the fact that he's made out of already living vines that lived in Hamlet a while ago, he wouldn't really be a child, well, unless you can tell when multiple vines are children or not.

BreadScientist    386
Just now, Lammarr said:

Well, not really, Wormwood is a amalgam of vines given sentience by lunar magic, so if you consider the fact that he's made out of already living vines that lived in hamlet a while ago, he wouldn't really be a child, well, unless you can tell when multiple vines are children or not.

"Wormwood" is the combination of the things that make him. His birth was when he was given sentience, as he had no conscious mind before this. The vines are not wormwood.