PaintDream    50
7 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Hmm, just tested out both the original and the "modded" games in an old Linux computer. Doesn't seem to be much different. If anything, the "modded" one is heavily dropping more frames. I tested at the spot in my messy base where frame drops are most significant (in the middle of farms, drying racks, chests and stuff, around the flingo).

Lua:

Nv5VvUl.jpg

LuaJIT:

8jdhkQ1.jpg

My specs:

Mp0GHfZ.png

Just tested out, and Linux DST version works with Mods, i.e. game starts and still keeps the mods as before, and clicking "Mods" button in the game loads the Mods screen.

I can't see your images since their links are unavailable in China.
How much RAM are installed on your old linux computer? LuaJIT consumes much more RAM and it is possible that the RAM is insufficient and had to be exchanged from swap partition.
Jit compiler mostly consumes more RAM for generating and caching jitted functions to reduce CPU overload significantly. If your CPU is not bottleneck for game, it will not benefit a lot from jit.

For me, an empty DST world with jit consumes 900MB memory while non-jit version consumes 850MB.
BTW, There is another issue about framedrops: #8 in Chinese. It is so strange that it appears only on linux. I guess this framedrop is mainly caused by garbage collection which could stop the world at this issue.

Here's my comparison:

Hardware: Old linux computer purchased on 2012, i7-3610QM (4C8T) + 16 GB DDR3 RAM + Intel HD 4000. My RAM is sufficient for game running and no swap partitions are configured on my linux (Debian 8.5, 64bit).

Lua version (FPS: 48-50, CPU full load on one core, Don't starve is not multi-threaded optimized at all):

lua.thumb.png.835dee3b0f1531e0b4509eabc56a9d99.png

LuaJIT version (FPS: 57-58, CPU full load)

luajit.thumb.png.a490fa2040bbda8692f21764ecbf3446.png

It benefits a lot. With the same full CPU load, luajit can execute 57-58 frames per second while lua version can only do 48-50 frames.

Once paused by mod "Global Pause", it goes to 60fps for both version.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

hyiltiz    400

I have 8G RAM installed, and when I tested, about 4G RAM was still free (I use a not-so-popular lightweight browser). I also have swap disabled, and I am also running Debian (testing branch). The FPS difference was 42 (Lua 5.1) and 36 (LuaJIT). Here is my specs you couldn't see in the above image:

Host: MacBookPro9,2 1.0
Kernel: 5.6.0-1-amd64
Uptime: 1 day, 6 hours, 32 mins
Resolution: 1280x800, 1920x1080
WM: i3
CPU: Intel i5-3210M (4) @ 3.100GHz
GPU: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Memory: 6698MiB / 7936MiB

• Like 1

PaintDream    50
1 hour ago, hyiltiz said:

I have 8G RAM installed, and when I tested, about 4G RAM was still free (I use a not-so-popular lightweight browser). I also have swap disabled, and I am also running Debian (testing branch). The FPS difference was 42 (Lua 5.1) and 36 (LuaJIT). Here is my specs you couldn't see in the above image:

Host: MacBookPro9,2 1.0
Kernel: 5.6.0-1-amd64
Uptime: 1 day, 6 hours, 32 mins
Resolution: 1280x800, 1920x1080
WM: i3
CPU: Intel i5-3210M (4) @ 3.100GHz
GPU: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
Memory: 6698MiB / 7936MiB

Could you please reupload the images via forum's attachments or show me the stats on left-top corner (as my comparison show) in text?

• Like 1

hyiltiz    400
1 hour ago, PaintDream said:

Could you please reupload the images via forum's attachments or show me the stats on left-top corner (as my comparison show) in text?

Hmm, here you go. This forum seem to purge old images, so I used imgur which just keeps them. I like things to stay as is and be their own archive.

Lua-no-mods-FPS.png

LuaJIT-no-mods-FPS.png

Specs.png

• Like 2

PaintDream    50
2 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

Hmm, here you go. This forum seem to purge old images, so I used imgur which just keeps them. ...

Looks weird, what if creating a brand new world without any mods?

• Like 1

hyiltiz    400
19 hours ago, PaintDream said:

Looks weird, what if creating a brand new world without any mods?

Fresh new world (World has no mods, client has some mods but all are quite common ones that I'd hope they'd also be optimized)

FreshWorld-Lua-process.png

FreshWorld-Lua.png

FreshWorld-LuaJIT-process.png

FreshWorld-LuaJIT.png

• Like 2

PaintDream    50

Fresh new world (World has no mods, client has some mods but all are quite common ones that I'd hope they'd also be optimized)

https://github.com/paintdream/DontStarveLuaJIT/releases/tag/2020.5.23

Download the release above.

Use jit.on() and jit.off() to see if CPU load changes? Note that you should wait for about 1 minute after jit.on(). 

prints out jit.status() to get more details.

Edited by PaintDream
  • Like 1

hyiltiz    400
17 hours ago, PaintDream said:

https://github.com/paintdream/DontStarveLuaJIT/releases/tag/2020.5.23

Download the release above.

Use jit.on() and jit.off() to see if CPU load changes? Note that you should wait for about 1 minute after jit.on(). 

prints out jit.status() to get more details.

jit.on() not found ...

latest-screenshot.png

Still not found after disabling all mods...

Without mod, CPU load after a Day in a fresh world is attached.

latest-screenshot.png

latest-screenshot.png

Edited by hyiltiz
  • Like 1

PaintDream    50

jit.on() not found ...

Still not found after disabling all mods...

Without mod, CPU load after a Day in a fresh world is attached.

That means you are not running latest version. Please check out 2020.5.23 version.

It should print enabled features out when typed "print(jit.status())":

true SSE2 SSE3 ...

523version.thumb.png.8e6a4ccf08243cde70ce86d14a2e63d6.png

Edited by PaintDream
  • Like 1

hyiltiz    400

You were right; I just unpacked it but didn't link the libraries. Now it is properly installed. Fresh World. no Mods. Frames are 59 with jit.on() or jit.off. CPU and MEM usage are nearly the same; jit.on() takes +5% more, in fact.

LuaJIT-test.png

LuaJIT-off-after-quarter-Day.png

LuaJIT-on-after-quarter-Day.png

• Like 1

PaintDream    50
On 5/24/2020 at 1:01 PM, hyiltiz said:

You were right; I just unpacked it but didn't link the libraries. Now it is properly installed. Fresh World. no Mods. Frames are 59 with jit.on() or jit.off. CPU and MEM usage are nearly the same; jit.on() takes +5% more, in fact.

It turns out that the LuaJIT would not improve the execution of the game on i5-3210M processor. 

Maybe there are too many cache misses on i5-3210M (3M cache), blocking cpu execution frequently. By contrast, my i7-3610QM has 6M cache.

hyiltiz    400

If by high end computers, you meant your CPU is i7 with 6M cache, then it is really surprising. But again, I am really surprised i5 CPU with 3M cache is not enough...

• Like 1

PaintDream    50
10 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

I have an i3-8100, 3.60 Gh (4 cores) processor  not "very high end" But good enough in my opinion...

Well i3-8100 has 6M cache.... Strange still.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/126688/intel-core-i3-8100-processor-6m-cache-3-60-ghz.html

Edited by PaintDream
  • Sad 1