Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Mattyington

Wendy's rework, one month after

Mattyington    801

Hey! While you might have seen me around a few threads as a commenter, I don't make threads very often, and I'm a little bit anxious, so I apologize in advance if this thread has already been made, and if it has please alert me so I can delete this one.

As the title might suggest, I was curious on what the final opinion of everyone on Wendy's rework was, now that it's been awhile and people have had the time to try the character out by themselves and form their own opinions. As someone who has played as Wendy religiously since way back in the original Don't Starve, I'm quite happy with the rework, and the lore that came from the animated short aswell, but i'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this. Do you believe the rework was good, bad, or something inbetween? should other reworks be made similarly to this one or moreso like other reworks? feel free to share your thoughts, I'm really curious to hear them!
 abby.thumb.png.a9c69345559f291b19aaeb5e6bf3994b.png

Terra B Welch    4151

Didn't much care for the first rework, but I definately enjoy Wendy Rework 2.0 and experimenting with what enemies and bosses you can really exploit abigail's petal curse on. Dragonfly for example, since shes stationary for most the fight(with good kiting) and prioritizes the player over mobs, Abigail works wonders on speeding up the solo fight.

Mike23Ua    5683
58 minutes ago, Well-met said:

pipspooks spawning when there's no wendy on the server is odd.

Pfft says you! I’m currently playing a Willow run with the game and those little Sanity draining peaceful mobs keep me from wasting Shrooms.

But- As a Wendy main.. I love everything about Wendy’s Rework, I love her new flower plucking idle animation, I love the new belongings set, I love how you can recall & summon Abigail easily, I love how you can use Abigails glowing ghost to survive without needing a torch or campfire, I love the Nightshade Potion, The easy to craft Sanity buff Sisturn provides,

But my two absolute most FAVORITE things are how Pipspook quests are like finding the ring things using the divining Rod in DS Solo, & How how the newest petal bestowment buff allows her and Abigail to work together and be useful in team play. 

I was a Wendy main BEFORE her Rework, But now she’s even better! :D 

Lumberlocke    930

I'd say this was a welcome rework, everyone I've come across in public games over the past month have enjoyed her new additions and quality of life improvements. :wilson_smile:

Ogrecakes    3009

I feel like shes too strong after her rework, adding the Abigail bonus damage petals put her over the line, her only downside has been heavily offset because of this.

Either Abby should be weak, or Wendy or should be weak, but instead it's neither.

Klei haven't been doing a good job of preserving a characters downsides so far, Wendy's over all has been the best, they preserved her main gameplay, they didn't add any heavily intrusive gimmicks, and the short was much better than Woodie's, I just wish they didn't immediately jump the gun on buffing her after the immediate reaction people had.

I don't want characters like Wicker, Wolfgang, or WX to be the base line for balancing, cause it feels like Klei is trying to bring characters to THEIR level, instead of bringing those 3 down a peg.

Lukmendes    69
1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i enjoy her a lot but i feel like she is so strong now but i expect klei will make the game harder

The reworks so far have been all about making the characters stronger while the game itself remained the same, if this trends keeps going, the difficulty will get a noticeable drop overall, yeah.

It is hard to make the game harder with how Klei does the updates, from what I can see in 'em, they like to play it safe and avoid making something that could be too much of a game changer, so a difficulty increase would be complicated, because what could they do that avoids changing the game too much while also making it harder?

Either way, biggest problem with the rework right now is that, because Mourning Glory can take so long to get high amounts, and how out your way you have to go to get 'em, and how tombstones aren't guaranteed to spawn a pipspook (Which makes it more annoying to get more), the best one to keep making is Spectral Cure-All, since Abigail surviving battles is more important than anything else, so there's very little reason waste Mourning Glory with the others.

That said, Wendy is more fun to play just because Abigail is controllable now, making her better at killing mobs is also pretty good, but since Abigail can be active whenever Wendy wants, and is also so flexible, it feels like there's no point in Willow's Bernie by comparison...

The "less HP, more damage" mechanic Abigail had could be fun, but you needed to be at really low HP for it to get a significant increase, and as it was pointed out often enough, it doesn't make sense thematically with Wendy since they're about fighting together, what the mechanic did was give little reason to do that.

GetNerfedOn    5614

While personally i no longer have any strong feelings regarding my first true main, and therefore wasn't really affected by her update much to my own surprise, I think a previous poll of mine could help grant insight as to how ppl feel regarding her rework

Mike23Ua    5683

I think that as long as Klei is continuing to update the game that it is not up to anyone outside of Klei to judge WHO is OP and Who Needs Buffs Or Nerfs.

Klei has already acknowledge in the past that they are closely monitoring these discussions of the massive changes players would like to see with their game- I’m talking about the HUGE Ideas like Elevated plots of land, and Totally Uncompromising Game Modes, or Archipelago world gen settings.

So with that said- I’m not too terribly worried about character downsides straight up disappearing completely. Because as long as Klei is continuing to develop content for the game, they can always change things up.

Theukon-dos    2619
3 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Klei haven't been doing a good job of preserving a characters downsides so far, Wendy's over all has been the best, they preserved her main gameplay, they didn't add any heavily intrusive gimmicks, and the short was much better than Woodie's, I just wish they didn't immediately jump the gun on buffing her after the immediate reaction people had.

I don't want characters like Wicker, Wolfgang, or WX to be the base line for balancing, cause it feels like Klei is trying to bring characters to THEIR level, instead of bringing those 3 down a peg.

You seem to be forgetting the Warly re-work.

>They actually *Amplified* his downside, as he can no longer eat any food that isn't in a crock pot and no longer gains bonus hunger

>His new buff foods make him useful, but not over-the top powerful (though they can make the already over-the top characters even more powerful)

>His animated short did a good job establishing his character's backstory, and was quite emotional.

As far as the Wendy/Abigail thing goes, I agree that Wendy's downside is practically non-existent, however. I don't think that "Making one or the other weaker" is the solution. a 25% damage reduction was fine in DS, but then DST multiplied the health of most creatures by several times. This ofcourse means that Wendy has to spend much, much longer killing things, especially when you get to the raid-bosses which tend to have 20k+ HP.

Zeklo    18236

I'm overall very content with it, but have my qualms too.

Mourning Glory is rather tedious to acquire given it is solely useful to Wendy and aquirable in one fashion. This means you're going to have to explicitly seek it out instead of accumulating it alongside other activies (ie. getting stingers from bees while getting beeswax/honey).

Having it dropped by enemies slain by Abigail, enemies slain on a full moon, or something like that, would have been better in my opinion.

Abigail's petal debuff is a really awesome concept, but I'm still unsure how I feel about it practically nullifying Wendy's downside (sorta like Wortox's souls). In most cases, a downside shouldn't be negated by the upside, only alleviated. In Wendy's case the only way to fall prey to it outside of poor play is certain creatures (basically [certain] bosses), since it's not reasonably possible to sustain Abigail in these encounters.

This essentially made Wendy less of a poor combat character and more into a poor boss combat character. Ultimately a buff from pre-rework but still a flaw nonetheless.

Shosuko    2229
9 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

just wish they didn't immediately jump the gun on buffing her after the immediate reaction people had.

I liked how quick they moved - because I feel it was obviously a mismatch.  I think they probably had both designs tested internally and opted for the low-health-Wendy release initially.  Changing it after the fallout to another design they had.

While I'm glad they acted fast to change her I agree she is pretty much without a downside now.  It seems normal for their reworks to lack much of a downside, so she isn't sticking out above the rest... but downsides can also be interesting points of a character.  The problem is that a damage penalty isn't very interesting.  Neither is having hunger drain faster.  This is why many feel Wes needs a rework.  Interesting challenges would be well received for any character I think... but Klei is maybe not focusing on that...  It might be nice after every character gets a flaw-free re-work that they then go through and, similar to a Strange New Powers update, give every character new flaws.

8 hours ago, Lukmendes said:

Abigail can be active whenever Wendy wants, and is also so flexible, it feels like there's no point in Willow's Bernie by comparison...

I never considered Bernie as a damage source.  I think Bernie is useful because he doesn't just tank, but draws agro onto himself.  Abi can draw agro only if she attacks them.  Also Bernie is still the only thing to help with shadow monsters, and he can help with anyone's shadow monsters, anywhere, with or without Willow nearby, and you can even have several of them prepped to jump into a fight as soon as the first one falls.

So I think that considering only their ability to help with fights via damage will let Abi look really really good, and she is, but considering the non-damage effects of Bernie he still has his place.

x0-VERSUS-1y    5416

Before her rework I almost never played Wendy (likewise with Maxwell). Because Abi was very suicidal, and you basically had just another not-so-beaten Wes.

After her rework, she is my second-most played character atm aside Willow (my main). Fits well into my nomadic pub play-style, more so as I spend most of my times in caves and can take full advantage of Abi's AoE dmg vs Spiders and Shadow Splumonkeys. Thus I call the rework an improvement. Given DST isn't a competitive game (and shouldn't be), strict mechanic balance can take backseat to fun imo: I'm generally content with reworks thus far.

Charlie Dark    3640

The Abigail rework was great, my friend who only plays Wendy.. well past issues we had with Abigail like her taking aggro on random mobs/bosses and ruining everything are gone!   plus they added a cheap sanity station too, and power ups which can be useful.