Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

robot-sensei

Klei adding more characters instead of finishing the refreshs

robot-sensei    14

They are adding more and more characters and at this point they started to lose originalty for example wurt is just and existing mob made cuter ,

they should finish the reworks and contine uptating the actual game , I feel like the whole rutern of them uptates are weak compared to the new reign stuff , quality started dropping since they added fuelweaver and while some uptates like moon island is good there is not much to do unlike mines , sea isnt very fun to explore since there isnt much to see and the new bosses are pretty boring with bad drops

I dont know if this will contine like this but I think they should stop with new characters and skins at least , especially skin , they bring nothing to table and most of the time you cant see them beacuse you are wearing armor or backpack

ArubaroBeefalo    3591
On 4/26/2020 at 2:25 PM, robot-sensei said:

They are adding more and more characters and at this point they started to lose originalty for example wurt is just and existing mob made cuter ,

they should finish the reworks and contine uptating the actual game , I feel like the whole rutern of them uptates are weak compared to the new reign stuff , quality started dropping since they added fuelweaver and while some uptates like moon island is good there is not much to do unlike mines , sea isnt very fun to explore since there isnt much to see and the new bosses are pretty boring with bad drops

I dont know if this will contine like this but I think they should stop with new characters and skins at least , especially skin , they bring nothing to table and most of the time you cant see them beacuse you are wearing armor or backpack

skins and characters are the way they earn money so is pointless to argue about this. Remember that this game cost around 15€ and you want new content but no skins for an already finished game (with a new reing they could just stop to include stuff and will be a cheap game). They cant bring infity content from a few sales on steam (and a lot for cheaper pages), new work needs new money

About originality... we have woormwood, wortox and a merm (some players, me include, always wanted a merm character) so i dont see how they loose the originality when the previous characters from rog were wilsons with few perks

the sea is empty because isnt complete like has been said million of times, the bosses maybe are boring for those who cheese them for me they are fun (malbatros could be better but not all the bosses will be exclusive for veterans and cheaters, there is noob players than want to see new stuff too). The drops are okay, a sail and a oar for a easy fight and a new range weapon and an altar (pretty sure with the moon crafting tab lvl2)

Mike23Ua    6464

As long as a character is fun, unique and offers up a new play style compared to others then I’m all for more new characters.

PC players have Mods and can Mod their own characters into the game- Console gamers could have this too in the form of an actual Character Creator.. something similar to the LEGO Games where you select a head, a torso, hands, legs, feet and then you select your personality and fighting style 

(For example- In LEGO Batman I could pick to be a Hero, Villain, a God, or Street Civilian- I could then choose Batman gadgets, guns & explosives, Superman Heat vision & freeze breath, Motorbikes and guns.)

Sure it won’t ever be as good as PC Mods.. but at least it would be SOMETHING.

And I would like to think that the more characters they add to the game- the more customization options I could open up if I purchased that character- for example if I bought Wurt- I can build my custom character to look like WES and choose to have Merms be friendly to them.

At least that is my long-term dream for what DST should become..

And if you honestly sit and think about it.. and take the idea Seriously- It doesn’t do ANYTHING that PC Mods won’t Already Do.

Mattyington    810
52 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

- snip - 

While an interesting idea, I feel like a character creator wouldn't really fit this game in particular.

You could easily, say, make a character that looks like Wes with all of Wurt's powers, and with a minimal drawback like "25% more sanity lost", if you even are forced to have a drawback at all, which would make playing as other character's kind of.. obsolete, since you can just make Wendy but with a worthless drawback (like being unable to sleep, which would particularly fit wendy since she has little problem with sanity in comparison to others, so she only has to worry about health now which can be restored with food a lot easier than sanity). Sure, there are positives, like "I love the way (x) plays, but i like the way (y) looks, so i can make (y) have (x)'s powers.", which could be really fun for someone who really likes, say, Wes' appearence but doesn't want to be locked to a challenge character, like one of my friends who chose him simply because they really liked mimes, blissfully unaware that they were intentionally the hardest character in the game. But unfortunely that would still cause problems with the balance of having the ability to choose any upside and downside for every character (You could make a character that can befriend spiders and isn't targetted by pigs...)

The LEGO games, while they have a story, they're meant to be games that are less focused on the story and moreso on the fun and the humor. You'd never see a character creator like LEGO's in a real batman game, for example. It simply would not make sense in the story, and i think that's one of the bigger problems, being that don't starve is a very lore-driven game and adding an avatar that's meant to be a blank slate into the lore, or adding them into the game without them being canon, would bother those who care about the lore. And if they ARE canon, they could end up either REALLY bland, or have a personality that would limit what you can do with their character (What if i want my avatar to be depressed like Wendy, but they're a very catty character?)

While you can say that it won't do anything that PC mods already do, it will. It will be something that is real in the game, and not a fan made addition.
By that logic, you could add Hatsune Miku to the game, because PC mods already do that. But there would definitely be an outroar if Hatsune Miku was really, truly, added to the game. 
One way to do it would implement some sort of workshop in-game, like a few games do, though that is very unlikely as they already use the steam workshop and i imagine the transition could be rather painful, which is ultimately just... a shame for console players, because mods do amazing things, especially essencials like geometric placement and gesture wheel. 

TL;DR, While an interesting idea, i don't think it would be the right one for Don't Starve Together.

Nikolaso    28
On 4/26/2020 at 3:25 PM, robot-sensei said:

I'm sure they are continuing on the refreshes, at least what I've seen many have already come out but I'm only scared that they'll refresh a character too much, mostly nerfing, but not likely. It's true, the new bosses have bad drops, and toadstool, which has been in the came for a few long years, still doesn't have better drops. But the new bosses' drops might change because as is said, the sea isn't ready. Though it's better to be delayed than rushed. 

Skins should stay, I've always liked them and liked collecting them because they drop normally, daily and weekly ones. I always notice what skins others use despite their armors. 

Pikapikap    746

I don't know what you want to express,but skins and new characters are part of this game that makes it more interesting. I like them.I think some people seem to feel that Klei has to do whatever they want,earlier there was a post thanking klei,I think some people should take a good look,I love dst. I thank klei for bringing me such a great game . So the little support I can do is to buy skins and new characters,do you mean I can't do this to support klei? I also recommend this game to others around me who haven't contacted dst,This is the little thing I can do.In the forum,Some people are too greedy and have some unconstructive suggestion.

Sinister_Fang    9327
On 4/26/2020 at 8:25 AM, robot-sensei said:

They are adding more and more characters

I'd hardly consider two characters to be a lot. Wormwood and Warly were added into DST as refreshes, so the only real new characters we got were Wortox and Wurt. When they announced the refreshes, they also announced we were getting four new characters. So it seems kinda contradictory to say you want them to uphold a promise, but simultaneously break part of that same promise.

at this point they started to lose originalty for example wurt is just and existing mob made cuter ,

So we're just gonna forget about Webber, Wilba and Wilbur? Adding characters based on a specific mob isn't new. And I wouldn't consider Wurt to be unoriginal. No other character (in DST) is able to make villages like she can, and with her strictly vegetarian diet, she plays much differently then you would with other characters due to how good most meat dishes are.

they should finish the reworks and contine uptating the actual game

They are. And I fail to see how adding new characters wouldn't be considered "Updating the game".

I feel like the whole rutern of them uptates are weak compared to the new reign stuff

Honestly, the quantity of the updates in RoT are about the same as it was with ANR. ANR had bite sized updates with only about two to three features each time.

quality started dropping since they added fuelweaver

That's because development slowed down when the update was finished. As expected. They were also working on Hamlet at the time.

and while some uptates like moon island is good there is not much to do unlike mines , sea isnt very fun to explore since there isnt much to see and the new bosses are pretty boring with bad drops

This is still unfinished content. Again I'd like to point to ANR: Minor content updates and most of the content didn't seem to make much sense until the last few updates. RoT has a larger scale though as they've opened up parts of the map that were never accessible before. Looking at the last few updates, they're working on making the ocean more interesting.

They're giving us FREE content because it was paid for by skins and characters. The devs gotta keep food on the table somehow.

Shosuko    2317

ppl keep saying bosses have bad drops and idk what you mean.  Toadstool gives you amazing light sources, fuel weaver gives you bone helm and plate, malbatross gives you blue sails, crab king gives you trident.  What is bad about any of these?

Like srsly - wtf do you WANT from a boss loot?

Mike23Ua    6464
7 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

ppl keep saying bosses have bad drops and idk what you mean.  Toadstool gives you amazing light sources, fuel weaver gives you bone helm and plate, malbatross gives you blue sails, crab king gives you trident.  What is bad about any of these?

Like srsly - wtf do you WANT from a boss loot?

Honestly? All that stuff seems pretty pointless to me- it’s stuff you don’t really NEED (especially on Xbox where our worlds are smaller & the seasons can’t have RNG applied to them, so Deerclops always arrives on X day of Winter for example..)

what I would LIKE for bosses to drop are parts to a some larger Contraption- Similar to the Wooden Thing found in DS Solo.

Diving Rod,

Wooden Box Thing,

Wooden Ring Thing,

Wooden Crank Thing, 

Metal Potato Thing,

Once all of these are gathered and taken to a specific location & Built you can then progress into the next Chapter of Adventures Mode.

And that’s what DST is currently missing, an Adventures Mode.. But with unanswered questions like Who is Them? Why are they Returning? Why has Charlie turned her attention towards machinations in the sky??

Surely at some point DST HAS to Answer these right?

Shosuko    2317
11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Honestly? All that stuff seems pretty pointless to me- it’s stuff you don’t really NEED (especially on Xbox where our worlds are smaller & the seasons can’t have RNG applied to them, so Deerclops always arrives on X day of Winter for example..)

what I would LIKE for bosses to drop are parts to a some larger Contraption- Similar to the Wooden Thing found in DS Solo.

Diving Rod,

Wooden Box Thing,

Wooden Ring Thing,

Wooden Crank Thing, 

Metal Potato Thing,

Once all of these are gathered and taken to a specific location & Built you can then progress into the next Chapter of Adventures Mode.

With DS since you were alone they could do more content focused on a single player, but what kind of public server would sit there with some players escaped into an adventure mode and everyone else is just sitting in the normal world?  It doesn't add to the game play, it just splits the people from any intereaction they might have.  Adventure mode just doesn't fit in a multiplayer sandbox world, better to simply have all content accessible up front without layers separating players from each other.

And that’s what DST is currently missing, an Adventures Mode.. But with unanswered questions like Who is Them? Why are they Returning? Why has Charlie turned her attention towards machinations in the sky??

Surely at some point DST HAS to Answer these right?

Lore answers those questions - boss drops don't.  Deerclopse drops an eyeball, does that tell you anything about the world at large?  Nope.  It just gives you an eyeball.  You can use it to make an eyebrella or a houndous shootious, or eat it for the lolz.  Both the eyebrella and houndous shootious are simply better ways to manage things we already have tools to manage.  I see people complaining about Toadstool loot which contains a near infinite light source...  It is way better than an eyeball.

Dragonfly, Bee Queen, and Toadstool all give very good loots that help you do a lot more than you could without them.

Mike23Ua    6464

Public servers do not exist on Xbox, but ignoring that fact altogether...

Theres also options in the menu to play Survival, Endless Or Wilderness.. 

pretty sure if they added Adventures there then the overall objective would be Adventure Mode.. right? Multiplayer game or not.

People want a REASON as to why they should engage totally optional bosses that drop as they claim disappointing loot- Pretty sure Contraption parts that block progress would make those optional bosses no longer optional if you wish to beat Adventures Mode.

least.. that’s my two cents on it anyway :) 

Psychomaniac    131

Yeah, STOP making new char, add my Wilbur first then Klei can do what ever you want.

P/s: Klei should port all char, because everybody have their Fav that not yet port (no need to be free, they sure gonna buy their Fav), have a team that focus on making skin, who doesn't like bad-ass skin for their fav char, easy money.

Shosuko    2317
19 minutes ago, Psychomaniac said:

Yeah, STOP making new char, add my Wilbur first then Klei can do what ever you want.

P/s: Klei should port all char, because everybody have their Fav that not yet port (no need to be free, they sure gonna buy their Fav), have a team that focus on making skin, who doesn't like bad-ass skin for their fav char, easy money.

I think it would be cool to port pretty much every character.  Even Woodlegs could find his place in DST now hehe

Sinister_Fang    9327
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Honestly? All that stuff seems pretty pointless to me- it’s stuff you don’t really NEED

That's the point. Optional bosses provide optional convenience items. The day misery toadstool drops a mandatory item for surviving is the day a lot of people will quit the game.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

what I would LIKE for bosses to drop are parts to a some larger Contraption- Similar to the Wooden Thing found in DS Solo

So we're just gonna ignore AnR's progression with the marble statues, shadow pieces, fossils, atrium and fuel weaver? And now we got the Pearl and the crab king starting on RoT's progression. This is DST's adventure mode.

Owlrus    3126

Little did we know that this entire thread was just a staged ploy to get as many confused faces as possible.

Mattyington    810
22 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

DC Universe Online? 

Online games like DC Universe Online or, say, Star Trek Online aren't canon, or are at least isolated from the main story (Most of the time.) Character creators exist in them so that you don't have 400 batmans walking around, and the Custom character also generally has an isolated story, unless they're a self-insert, in which case they aren't canon because it would be really hard to add them (Unless they have a "canon" look, like Robin from fire emblem awakening). TL;DR,  I wouldn't say they really count. 

Shosuko    2317
24 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

Don't try to say anything negative about Klei around here, this community is full of convinced white knights that are gonna bash you hard for it,. trust me, there is no way they will ever agree that Klei ever did something poorly.. 

Someone didn't see Wendy's first rework release XD

But then... they did come back with her 2nd rework option and we all win b/c Klei is awesome k ? ^_^

Sinister_Fang    9327
3 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

be a little more objective, take a closer look at the last two updates, A New Reign and Return of Them, and tell me, which had better quality content, and which was more aggressively monetized.. in my opinion the later has been monetized more aggressively

How exactly is RoT being aggressively monetized? It's completely free.

6 minutes ago, Deprecious said:

provided worse quality content..i'm not even gonna mention how the last DLC is still a beta build..

Could you explain a bit more on how the quality of RoT is lower then ANR? There's been a slight shift in art style, but other then that, it seems to be about the same to me. ANR was also rolled out in small chunks in betas much like how RoT is now.

LordNiggle    37
On 5/8/2020 at 10:13 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

How exactly is RoT being aggressively monetized? It's completely free.

I think he might be talking about that time Klei payed a bunch of youtubers to play the game with the new characters/reworks 

Sinister_Fang    9327
6 hours ago, LordNiggle said:

I think he might be talking about that time Klei payed a bunch of youtubers to play the game with the new characters/reworks 

That's just normal marketing, not aggressive monetization. Aggressive monetization would be more akin to making the game unenjoyable for free/entry level players unless you pay additional money. You can look at EA's library for way too many examples of this.

Mike23Ua    6464

The facts are this- People who stopped playing DST and started playing other games completely unrelated to DS or Klei.. because the game had not changed any at all since it’s release-

THOSE People (Myself Included) as well as New ones (a few friends I’ve convinced to buy the game..) Are playing the game MORE.

And Why are we doing that?? Well you can strike Both the Gorge Event and the Forge Event completely out of the Record books- As an Xbox One player I have every right to say those Events never happened at all for us.

AHEM.. therefore- The only Significant chunks of New content the game has had since its 2017 Release is the brand NEW stuff they’re doing with the DST Exclusive Characters, The Character Reworks, And Return of Them Updates 1 through 4.

——————————

the TL:DR- The stuff Klei is doing is drawing back in players who moved on to play other games, as well as bringing in completely fresh new people who are joining the franchise for the first time.
——————————

Nintendo Switch and Mobile Smartphones STILL do not have DST- So therefore- When or IF they ever get the game.... it’s release date will be marked as 2020 or possibly further than that.

And with Klei hinting all the time about wanting DST to be Cross-Platform playable.. I would say that future could be closer than any of us who don’t work with them at their studio even realize. ;) 

Shosuko    2317
1 hour ago, Deprecious said:

What i meant by more aggressive marketing was releasing more paid content and neglecting the quality of work done on the other "free" content.. i just choose my words poorly..

Yes, i know they added a lot of content, but i would rather have less content of higher quality than a lot of content with poor quality.. matter of fact, i'd rather have no new content at all than poor quality content, many great games were taken to the grave by adding a lot of new content..

idk - the skin bundle came with a highly demanded skin-relevant feature - the clean sweeper.  So it makes sense to actually push a good skin package with this new feature.  The skin pack also included skins for 2 often used items which previously couldn't have skins, the tam and the krampus sack.  Its hard to call it aggressive monetization when we got a feature this high in demand and the skin bundle is relevant to it...

Also the entire hermit crab thing is a lot of new things you can do - if you like water.  If you don't, then this update wasn't "bad," it just wasn't "for you."  I've had a lot of fun sailing since this update and really just wish it didn't take so much to get ocean bound...