[RESOLVED] "Start" button sends me back to the Menu

Hello @GustavLenny, welcome to the forums. Could you also attach a copy of your log.txt found under Documents\Klei\DoNotStarve?

This should shed more light as to why the game is acting the way it is. Hopefully we can find the reason there.

Also refer to this Klei Support Article: Game Is Crashing / Game Won't Start (PC/Mac/Linux)

Try the methods mentioned there, common workarounds for crashing that might help.

@GustavLenny looking at your dxdiag.txt, seems like you only have Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 with a dedicated memory of 112 MB while Don't Starve requires video cards with at least 256 MB or over for Dedicated RAM.

Refer to: What are the system requirements for Don't Starve?

Unfortunately, I don't think your PC specs can run Don't Starve, unless you can increase your gpu's dedicated memory in some way. Other than that, I can only suggest you either refund the game since you weren't able to run it in the first place OR hold on to the game until you can get a PC that meets the minimum requirements. That's all I can think of for now. Sorry for not being much help.

@GustavLenny afaik, you need to be able to make your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M the primary GPU so that the game can run since it requires at least 256 MB or over for Dedicated RAM but Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 can only provide a dedicated memory of 112 MB. Cause your dxdiag only displays that you aren't using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M.

You need to somehow configure your PC to utilize NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M on default. Unfortunately, I'm not completely knowledgeable on the specifics of how to do that though for your set up.

I did all of these and even tried to launch Don't Starve with the NVIDIA's and it still doesn't work.

I installed the game on an other computer (not a laptop this time) and it perfectly works... But I can't figure where the problem come from :(

@GustavLenny from what I can tell, it really does look like the game is getting stuck up on not actually running the game on your NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M, if it did then it would've run already. Aside from trying to figure out how to make NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M your primary GPU that it would be the one listed as the Card Name for your Display Device in your dxdiag, I've ran out of ideas for possible workaround since you've said that you've also tried everything in the Klei Support Article: Game Is Crashing / Game Won't Start (PC/Mac/Linux) I linked earlier.

If I can think of any other possibilities, I'll let you know.

In addition to the steps @Zillvr provided, and on the support article linked in their post, I also noticed that both of your graphics cards have not been updated since 2017. You should be able to download and install the latest drivers for each card from their respective support/driver websites. 

As well, if you have an integrated and dedicated GPU, you will need to go into your NVIDIA Control Panel and force your dedicated GPU to launch and run Don't Starve instead of your integrated Intel card. 

Archived