Sign in to follow this  
Ipsquiggle

[Game Update] - 405850

melquiades    109

Thanks a lot!

I am so glad you are paying attention to memory usage, it made me upgrade my build once and it probably will again, not just the game but my whole system goes to a crawl when i reach 97% usage in a long playing session.

• Like 1

krop    107

In STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.LOGICCOUNTER.EFFECT:

When the chosen number is reached it sends a <b><style="logic_on">Green
Signal</style></b> until it receives another <b><style="logic_on">Green
Signal</style></b>, when it resets automatically and begins counting again.

shouldn't that be "then it resets automatically..." ?

• Like 1

SamLogan    974
1 hour ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Hey everyone!

If you have a large/late-game colony, please load it up on the test branch and give it a save and let us know if this did or didn't improve memory usage for you!

I've tried with this save :

saves.thumb.png.1806d2730e07dacb50669431ed36efd7.png

And unfortunately, I notice no improvements during the "new cycle saving" and the manually save.

cp1.png.8bc5a913332fb21cac0f44c2e80765b0.pngcp2.png.c7880696b61fc40712cbd622aebd44de.png

Before / during the save performances :

i7 3770

GTX970

16 Go Ram

SSD

Éden Phlegmatique.sav

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

melquiades    109

My memory usage went up by an 8% xD

But my save is a bad example, a really bad one (old and modified), and i still have mods on.

• Like 1

krop    107
4 hours ago, Sebastiangperez said:

Linux version was updated too ? because i didn't see any update in the test branch.

yes.

yoakenashi    608
11 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

If you have a large/late-game colony, please load it up on the test branch and give it a save and let us know if this did or didn't improve memory usage for you!

3168 cycles / 21 duplicants / 2 hydrogen rockets (no mods)

Baseline:

• CPU: 0.78 GHz
  • Memory: 4.1 GB

Running AP-399948:

• CPU: 3.21 GHz
  • Memory: 10.2 GB
  • Save file 26.03 MB

Running AP-405850:

• CPU: 3.20 GHz
  • Memory: 11.3 GB - an increase of 1.1 GB
  • Save file:  26.04 MB

My memory usage increased.

Serene Oblivion.sav

Also, could we get a fix for this genetic ooze temperature reset bug soon? You guys fixed the sweepy temperature reset bug.

• Like 1

chemie    715

I do not care about save file size but really want to see something get rid of the 10 second system lockup just prior to the save (compression?)

• Like 1

Gurgel    1919

Memory:

If you are asking for the memory footprints directly after loading/saving, here is what I see with directly saving after load, not even unpausing:

1. Stable:   load 5.9G     save: 7.5G     time to save: 18.2s

2. 405850: load 5.7G    save 6.6G      time to save: 17.2s

Time is hand-stopped, memory by looking at task-manager, only measured once, hence not too precise. Still different enough to be a definite improvement. Cycle around 7000, 16 Dupes, Ryzen 3700X.

Errors:

On a brief look, no obvious defects or state-changes except for one: A Regolith auto-sweeper seems to drop a piece of hot Regolith, leading to it overheating pretty fast. It is not supposed to do that and has never done it before. This is while loading a save from the previous test version. You can actually see the Regolith hovering there before you un-pause. It is next to the ladder to the space-cover. Save is attached.

s067.sav

Edited by Gurgel

tzionut    263

@fatheroctopus the evident solution is to help us for make a cleaner savegame game like: data disk usage and disposal, abbysalite easier usage and disposal, mafic rock usage and disposal, diamond usage and disposal. My current savegame has around 1240 cycle. By 1300 i will finish it (finish my own challenge). I will send to you the savegame whit all my conclusion and whit proofs. You still have one unbalanced game, and lots and lots of unused tools used only for statistics who colect garbage and slow the game. We don't have the posibility to remove some unwanted tools like raport generation, action counter for challenges who slow the game, and disposal of unwanted garbage resources, or artifacts...and the story goes on, and on, and on. It will be separate topic whit all the things who slow the game.

Edited by tzionut

psusi    286
2 hours ago, fatheroctopus said:

To set expectations, memory usage is still going to go up after a save, the hope is that it goes up by less than it did previously.

WHY?!  Even if you have to allocate some memory to do the save, it should be freed once the save is finished.

• Haha 1

yoakenashi    608
8 hours ago, psusi said:

WHY?!  Even if you have to allocate some memory to do the save, it should be freed once the save is finished.

I have not participated in a test build in a while (stupid real life job), but isn’t all the debug code and collection “stuff” still a thing? I recall players always talking about their FPS decreasing on the test build, maybe the memory is affected the same way?

0xFADE    548

While optimizing saves could you throw in the bunker door open/close % if you have not already?  I hear that if you load a save that was mid-door animation it will lose that progress which would be the cause of random space failures.

Gurgel    1919
10 hours ago, psusi said:

The pleasures of using a language with garbage collection. It severely limits or eliminates your ability to manage memory yourself.

• Thanks 1