Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

MycoLogical

Who will be the next update?

Recommended Posts

Blueleaf12    1145

Me too! She's one of my favourite characters and arguably has the least amount of lore. 

Personally, lore wise, I want to know more about Wolfgang. I don't like playing him much, but I'd love to know more about his backstory and possibly where the Codex came from with the train crash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
zVince    3175

I hope it's Wilson. What's so special about him? does he possess something to demonstrate his real personality and talent? 
Nothing! 
At least Wigfrid has something, I don't think it's necessary right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlZalph    4139
44 minutes ago, MycoLogical said:

I just hope it's Wigfrid!

From character stat polling, Wigfrid has been #1 picked worldwide for a long while.

On the other hand, the lesser picked "weaker" non-meta characters have been getting reworked.

 

I'd wager either Webber or Waxwell for next rework, leaning more to Webber.

 

Wes is probably reserved once everyone got their refresh, like Wilson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scrimbles    3337

I assume they will focus on the characters who kinda need an update the most.

And, in my opinion, that would be:

Woodie - Because he has no real downside and I feel like Klei really botched his purpose, okay fine I know he just got an update but still

 

Webber - His monster downside isn't as original anymore, he doesn't play as well in a multiplayer enviornment, and he could use some more unique benefits from spiders.

 

Wolfgang - Grossly overpowered, his downside barely matters because insanity is a joke and he can kill shadows in seconds. I would like for his strengths to be put to more use, like being able to pick up more objects, maybe outright crack boulders and chop trees if he's at his full might, and then make his damage scale negatively off of his sanity.

 

WX-78 - His lightning charge is way too powerful, and aside from that he just gets a stat boost from gears, there's very little unique about him that is under his control.

 

Maxwell - He's the resident log chopper and resource collector, his shadow warriors are very underutilized. Theres more that could be done with him, but its hard to say which direction his character should be taken.

 

Wickerbottom - Another character who is kinda just overpowered, Applied Horticulture is too cheap and too strong in a group, On Tentacles is WAAAAAY too strong against bosses (especially the Bee Queen).

The End is Nigh exists to buff WX, Bird's of the World is largely a waste of time.

Sleepytime Stories is good though, a delayed much more delayed panflute. Maybe a cost increase.

Ideal Wicker Rework ideas for me would be:

Birds of the World: Summon a flock of birds around Wicker that will constantly damage mobs around her, and will sometimes peck at Wicker too.

Applied Horticulture: Grow, and wither all plants in the vicinity, maybe accelerate disease.

The End is Night: Directly target MOBS with the lightning strikes.

On Tentacles: Spawn temporary tentacles.

Sleepytime Stories: Put Wicker into the "drowsy" state upon reading, reading it again would knock her out.

Then give her some larger insanity penalty.

 

Wigfrid - I think shes is great, but obviously outclassed by the stupidly overpowered Wolfgang. Would be cool if she could directly upgrade armor and weapons, letting her take allies equipment and repair/upgrade them. I'm not sure I really understand why everyone wants her to be reworked, shes immensely strong, and has a proper downside. Feel free to comment if I'm missing something here.

 

People seem so obsessed with downsides being removed, which is a shame because that is what gives so many characters an interesting dynamic, just look at what happened to Wendy...

 

Maybe Klei will also throw us another curveball and refresh Walani or something, that would be cool.

(Cmon, just give her the curse from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, where she would turn into a zombie skeleton thing at night, then give her some interactions with going to the moon island, so she can surf to it easily. I want some spooky gal's in the game. From what I've heard, Woodlegs was originally supposed to turn into a Skeleton, so just re-purpose that idea for Walani. I would instantly buy her full skin collection on launch.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Axelocke    4162

I uh, actually sincerely hope Wes gets his real rework next/after Wilson. Y'know, unless the April Fools update was his real rework. Haha. ha. ha... I love his design as a character and want to use him, but in his current state, I wouldn't dare show his face in public servers, as enjoying the character and his skins is not worth making the entire server suffer for no reason. 

 

Second runner up for me would be Wilson, I don't care for the argument, "but he's the beginner character! he's supposed to have nothing!" to which I say that only makes sense in singleplayer DS, since he's unlocked from the start and so is the easiest to learn, and Wendy is (in my opinion) currently the best beginner friendly character in DST, hands down.

Wilson is (technically?) harder to play than Wendy, because he has nothing that really assists the player besides a beard that helps during winter. (Assuming a brand new player would even survive an entire season on their first attempts to even utilize the beard.) Wendy on the other hand, has a supportive summon in Abigail that can be called upon at any time, anywhere, and will do everything in her power to protect you. Abigail is essentially a guiding hand for new players who aren't familiar with how combat and certain mechanics work.

For Newcomers, Abigail can:

  • Protect you from hound waves very effectively.
  • Feed you by easily killing nearby butterflies, rabbits, frogs, etc. for your consumption.
  • Provide you light in the night if you have no other means.
  • Provide you sanity for each time you summon her.

For Newcomers, Wilson can:

  • Keep you warm for a little bit in winter with his beard, (assuming newcomers even know that his beard keeps you warm) but only if you never die mid/late Autumn, otherwise he's very vanilla. Good luck. ;)

 

Sorry about the mini rant/essay, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from! Take care ya'll!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    76138
13 minutes ago, Axelocke said:

Keep you warm for a little bit in winter with his beard,

Seems a bit too... Romantic.5e445ba491f37_Wilsonblush.png.e123b236190df4dfd8568259593c34e5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkPulse91    878

Im personally hoping for WX, so that they can change his gear eating ability
so i can stop instantly hiding all of the gears every time a random WX joins the server

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blueleaf12    1145

With Wigfrid, I do like how she plays, so I don't really want a rework, just lore. I don't really know what they would change to rework her. I do like the idea of her fixing weapons and armour for her allies, rather than just making a bunch of battle helms and spears and possibly wasting gold if that's scarce. Maybe even her getting special stat bonuses just for boss kills?

With Webber, I feel like (some) spiders should be neutral to his allies, so spiders can be a safe place to grind items and monster meat and such. Possibly just the spiders that are spawned from the spider eggs he carries. 

For Wilson, I feel like he should have some minor powers from the Nightmare Throne, since he was canonically on the throne for less than five days so it would make sense he'd still have SOME connection to it, but less than Maxwell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    76138
18 minutes ago, Blueleaf12 said:

For Wilson, I feel like he should have some minor powers from the Nightmare Throne, since he was canonically on the throne for less than five days so it would make sense he'd still have SOME connection to it, but less than Maxwell. 

MAxwell needs a character update before Wilson so there could be some distinction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Toros    1698
4 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

From character stat polling, Wigfrid has been #1 picked worldwide for a long while.

On the other hand, the lesser picked "weaker" non-meta characters have been getting reworked.

 

I'd wager either Webber or Waxwell for next rework, leaning more to Webber.

 

Wes is probably reserved once everyone got their refresh, like Wilson.

I agree, though Webber is much worse off mechanically than Max is.

2 hours ago, Axelocke said:

I uh, actually sincerely hope Wes gets his real rework next/after Wilson. Y'know, unless the April Fools update was his real rework. Haha. ha. ha... I love his design as a character and want to use him, but in his current state, I wouldn't dare show his face in public servers, as enjoying the character and his skins is not worth making the entire server suffer for no reason. 

 

Second runner up for me would be Wilson, I don't care for the argument, "but he's the beginner character! he's supposed to have nothing!" to which I say that only makes sense in singleplayer DS, since he's unlocked from the start and so is the easiest to learn, and Wendy is (in my opinion) currently the best beginner friendly character in DST, hands down.

Wilson is (technically?) harder to play than Wendy, because he has nothing that really assists the player besides a beard that helps during winter. (Assuming a brand new player would even survive an entire season on their first attempts to even utilize the beard.) Wendy on the other hand, has a supportive summon in Abigail that can be called upon at any time, anywhere, and will do everything in her power to protect you. Abigail is essentially a guiding hand for new players who aren't familiar with how combat and certain mechanics work.

For Newcomers, Abigail can:

  • Protect you from hound waves very effectively.
  • Feed you by easily killing nearby butterflies, rabbits, frogs, etc. for your consumption.
  • Provide you light in the night if you have no other means.
  • Provide you sanity for each time you summon her.

For Newcomers, Wilson can:

  • Keep you warm for a little bit in winter with his beard, (assuming newcomers even know that his beard keeps you warm) but only if you never die mid/late Autumn, otherwise he's very vanilla. Good luck. ;)

 

Sorry about the mini rant/essay, but I hope you can see where I'm coming from! Take care ya'll!

Wilson arguably has never been a great choice for new players in DST, and I don’t think he’d even be top three for me now.

@Ogrecakes

I wrote a rework that tones Wolfgang down considerably (no speed boost, flat 200 hp/150 sanity even while mighty) while also adding fun utility like you described (carrying heavy objects, ignoring item slowdown while mighty) and 1.3x sanity loss.  It makes Wigfrid a lot more competitive as she is more durable in comparison and has her helmets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xDarkSoul18x    49

Maxwel imo needs it the most. The only positive I can think of about him is he’s ok at farming wood and sanity is never really a problem. 

Maybe give him some necromancy/magic similar to Wendy to make his shadow clones a bit more useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
minespatch    76138
7 minutes ago, xDarkSoul18x said:

Maybe give him some necromancy/magic similar to Wendy to make his shadow clones a bit more useful.

Shadow traps and a mallet would be fun for him. Whack-a-enemy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    6549

Unpopular opinion- but I kinda want to see a HUGE Wolfgang Rework.

Just look at the dudes Artwork, Vignettes and profile icons.... 

He’s Big.. He’s Mighty, But he’s Also a Complete Coward.

where once.. at ALL does his Cowardly perks come into play in the game? They don’t...

So maybe Wolfgang should become Cowardly the more enemies he’s fighting against, by doing less and less damage the larger the group of enemies is, or by fleeing away in panic uncontrollably for a few seconds like Shaggy and Scooby Doo would do in them old Scooby Video games where if their “Fright Meter” was too low they coward down in fear.

The Mighty Wolfgang shouldn’t simply just be Always Mighty on a full stomach. And that’s it... When it comes to Wolfgang’s Rework, I want to see Shaggy/Scooby “Fright Meter” coming into play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Axelocke    4162
1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Unpopular opinion- but I kinda want to see a HUGE Wolfgang Rework.

Just look at the dudes Artwork, Vignettes and profile icons.... 

He’s Big.. He’s Mighty, But he’s Also a Complete Coward.

where once.. at ALL does his Cowardly perks come into play in the game? They don’t...

So maybe Wolfgang should become Cowardly the more enemies he’s fighting against, by doing less and less damage the larger the group of enemies is, or by fleeing away in panic uncontrollably for a few seconds like Shaggy and Scooby Doo would do in them old Scooby Video games where if their “Fright Meter” was too low they coward down in fear.

The Mighty Wolfgang shouldn’t simply just be Always Mighty on a full stomach. And that’s it... When it comes to Wolfgang’s Rework, I want to see Shaggy/Scooby “Fright Meter” coming into play. 

Fully agree with a Wolfgang rework. All I want from a Wolfgang rework is something that makes him fun to play as, with a unique downside that highlights his cowardice.

I believe the reason why most choose Wigfrid over Wolfgang is simply because she offers a more unique experience, sure, Wigfrid isn't as breathtakingly broken as Wolfgang, but she contributes to the team better than Wolfgang with her spears and helmets, usable by all, and also has a downside that actually affects how you play. She can also tank bosses better/heal less often thanks to her vampiric health/sanity mechanic. 

As he is right now, Wolfgang has probably some of the most vanilla perks in the game (same with WX-78). Eat, get strong. Don't eat, get weak. Sanity drain modifier increase by 0.1x. Done. :?

I'd like it if Wolfgang was able to manually channel his strength in a sort of "wild abandon" without relying on your state of hunger, but at the cost of quite a bit of sanity. I do like your idea of a fright meter, and possibly too much "fear" or too little sanity could stop you from going mighty, making his strength tied to his well-being rather than just hunger?

I dunno, I just hope his refresh is themed around his curio description. :-D

image.png.83ef7b1d0f76a1d02bf33c0cdd936ecf.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    6549

The must be on a full belly to be mighty thing needs to Totally go, maybe Wolfgang can be Mighty on a 75% full stomach but he has to lift his signature Dumbbell a few times to maintain that form- Balancing Might by not just cramming your face full of food but by also maintaining a strongman’s workout.

look.. as a Wendy main if I now have to stand completely still literally “Ghost Whispering” into a flower to command Abigail to do different things, then Wolfgang working out ain’t much different. (This also puts the dumbbell he’s seen working out with in many of his artworks actually into the game & could maybe even craft extras so Non-Wolfgang’s can use it to gain a little strength stat boost.) Taking a character who has no multiplayer perks and actually making him useful in a Multiplayer Situation, as for other multiplayer perks.. I would love to see him be able to throw teammates when in Mighty Form.

Ya know.. new Multiplayer perks Which has been the theme for all previous Reworks so far- So I don’t see that pattern changing with Anyone else.

 

As for Wigfrid.... keep in mind that being a mighty Viking Warrior is only a performance act that she took way too far, Wigfrid real name could be Winnie for all that we know, and she’s not a Mighty Viking Warrior at all.. In a Wigfrid Rework I want to see the side of her that Isn’t the stage performance act that is Wigfrid.

It would be really cool (though highly unlikely) if Winona’s Spotlight gave Wigfrid stat boosts when Wigfrid has the light shined onto her by Winona. Because uhhh Stage Art Performer- And the lights are on her DUH!

Overall though- I just want each character to stand out, be unique but at the same time contribute to a Team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seot    55

I hope webber gets it. Not only does he really need it but it could be cool. I hope it has something to do with spider queens, maybe even taming them 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowDuelist    6572

I don't see Maxwell being that bad to urgently require a rework, just his shadowduelists (..ehem...) suck and need urgent revision. But on the other hand due to the magic nature of his perks, he could get a lot of fun new stuff, so I'm all up for his rework.

I also think we need to consider that the order of rework will also be influenced by their importance in the lore. Lore wise Maxwell is still super important so he will probably be among the last ones to be reworked, next to Wilson.

Webber is one of the best candidates for immediate change, followed closely by Wes, being characters that don't have much going for them. In Wes's case there have been a lot of threads discussing how to make him a better "challenge character".

Wilson also has nothing going for him but as I said earlier, being so important in the lore, he will probably be the last one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    3708
6 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I don't see Maxwell being that bad to urgently require a rework, just his shadowduelists (..ehem...) suck and need urgent revision. But on the other hand due to the magic nature of his perks, he could get a lot of fun new stuff, so I'm all up for his rework.

I also think we need to consider that the order of rework will also be influenced by their importance in the lore. Lore wise Maxwell is still super important so he will probably be among the last ones to be reworked, next to Wilson.

Webber is one of the best candidates for immediate change, followed closely by Wes, being characters that don't have much going for them. In Wes's case there have been a lot of threads discussing how to make him a better "challenge character".

Wilson also has nothing going for him but as I said earlier, being so important in the lore, he will probably be the last one.

well, klei said that will start making short even when there is no character rework so they can realease an update for a character with a portion of the lore and keep the "good stuff" to the end in form of shorts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On why I think wilson is fine: 

Spoiler

Wilson does one thing for new players that wendy never will be able to- it has them actually learn to fight, which is I'd argue the most important skill for new players since not much, definitely not abigail, can save them once their sanity goes below 30 if they don't know how to dodge the terrorbeak. Him being master of none is the most important thing he can have since it means he has no easy way to avoid any of the harder aspects of the game, forcing the player to learn. The one thing that's far easier with wilson is making a meat effigy without going to the caves, and such a lifeline is definitely appreciated for newer players. 
I think he shouldn't get a rework specifically because there should always be some baseline character with no major upsides or downsides. if wilson was more special then the only character like that would be wes. And I like wes, but "jack of all trades, master of none" is not wes. If I were in charge of reworking wilson for some reason then I'd lean into him being able to do everything decently by allowing him to actually gentleman science his way into doing some things that other characters can, but it might be a bit dumb to have him making worse versions of catapults or summoning the ghost of that duck he poisoned.

On why I think wigfrid is in a great spot right now:

Spoiler

Wigfrid doesn't need one much either, I feel. The only reason she feels imperfect is because wolfgang exists when on her own she's an interesting character who is good at combat and works well in a group since she still has use for the resources(vegetables) she wouldn't in singleplayer because of the thing where other people will actually eat them. I guess her battle spear recipe isn't used often late game, but it's not the only thing designed for early game- wickerbottom being able to craft anything with a regular science machine is pretty slick. battle spear's great when people are struggling. I'm sure something could be done with her, but something could be done with everyone.


And what could make Wolfgang have to act as more of a team player:

Spoiler

Wolfgang is someone who I definitely feel needs a rework. I love their mechanics especially in singleplayer, rewarding people who are very good at not starving in don't starve with an easier time with combat. only 10% faster sanity drain when being insane is even less of an issue due to their combat skill and they'll go less insane since fights are shorter doesn't make a balanced character though. I think what wolfgang needs is a real weakness, something that others are flat out better at than wolfgang is. perhaps making him have some kind of panic which causes you to lose partial control while insane would make him weaker, but that wouldn't make wolfgangs appreciate other players more. What about if Wolfgang tended to forget learned recipes if he hasn't prototyped them in a long time? blueprint recipes would be permanently learned, but he might have a chance of forgetting how to make a straw roll if he hasn't made one in a while, or maybe he could forget recipes while low on sanity. Then they'd appreciate other players helping them make stuff, but they wouldn't be entirely helpless alone if they prepared by avoiding low sanity, crafting recipes often, or building science machines in various places.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    3708

wolfgang should have mov speed boost and maybe having more damage when sanity is low could be a better teamplay mechanic since he wont eat all the food of the server to do nothing xD

 

and flat  200hp i forget to say, has no sense having mov speed and being tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ShadowDuelist    6572

I'd rework Wolfgang by increasing his cons so they actually matter, and giving him new perks:

Spoiler

 

About his strength and speed perks: keep them mostly as they are now, people are too used to the way he works, changing this would make a lot of people angry

About his cowardice con: Make it slightly stronger at dusk and night, and Wolfgang now takes 5% more damage if his sanity is at 50% or below, and takes 10% more damage if his sanity is at 25% or below. This would mean that even being as strong and fast as you are, you still have to plan ahead and manage your sanity.
Wimpy Wolfgang no longer can carry boulders, suspicious marbles or statues.

About new perks:

  • Mighty Wolfgang could have no speed penalty on wearing marble suit and piggyback, and also has no speed penalty when carrying boulders, suspicious marbles, or statues on his back.
  • New skill: can toss around said statue or boulders at a small range for an AOE damage on impact, which pushes enemies, stuns all enemies in the area for a second, and makes them move slower for 5 seconds. It costs hunger to do this, and has a brief cooldown.
  • New skill: can toss around other players at range, when they land they also deal AOE similarly to boulders. It also costs some hunger, and lets the players bypass certain gaps like rivers or voids in the caves. The character being tossed is the one that chooses where to land.

 

 

19 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

and flat  200hp i forget to say, has no sense having mov speed and being tank

 

I agree, there is no need for him being a tank, since that's more of a Wigfrid/Weremoose role. Maybe make it so normal and mighty have 200 HP, and wimpy Wolfgang drops his HP to flat 100.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites