merkmerk73

Biggest wish item for update - fix summer!

Terra M Welch    3902
11 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

the only problem i see with summer is how annoying is to obtain the recipe for the dessert googles

Agreed on this, nothing like a big ol' RNG wall for my first summer. At least in vanilla solo playthroughs.

ArubaroBeefalo    1801
24 minutes ago, minespatch said:

We could probably use a coyote mob to give a old west aesthetic....

i love the colours in the iron ore biome, remembers me the great cannon

• Like 3

Mike23Ua    4426

I would agree with you except that there ARE Summer mobs.. except they aren’t exclusive to Summer..

SkitterSquid come on land and roam the area during Summer (I am assuming because the water is too hot to stay in constantly..)

And how the Oasis becomes an actual lake only for Summer

Or the ground collapses.

I WISH Summer had more unique stuff going for it- like for example.. if SkitterSquid are coming to surface to escape intense heat in water.. then MAYBE Already cooked fish should come surfacing up out of the boiling water.

The game is called DONT STARVE it would be unique as heck if the ocean we have been swimming around in all this time since the start of Return of Them.. has been Water boiling and the entire constant (Us included) are just Ingredients in Thems Gigantic Crockpot.

The ocean boiling over in a game called Don’t Starve just makes logical sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ToXic Cur3    40

Winter preps you for spring/summer as well if you killed deerclops you should have the eyebrella for spring/summer and if you did not obtain the eye the moose goose has the feathers for the fan so summer should be easy to get through

Edited by ToXic Cur3
  • Like 1

minespatch    71382
6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

has been Water boiling and the entire constant (Us included) are just Ingredients in Thems Gigantic Crockpot.

Characters skins could turn red and boiling in the summer.:wilson_ecstatic:

• Haha 2

Mike23Ua    4426
3 minutes ago, ToXic Cur3 said:

Winter preps you for spring/summer as well if you killed deerclops you should have the eyebrella for spring/summer and if you did not obtain the eye the moose goose has the feathers for the fan so summer should be easy to get through

You don’t even actually NEED those items either.. all you need is 

Spoiler

A Cold Thermal stone, Ice-Flingo Matic and Endofires you can get near infinite amounts of Nitre for Endo fires from Petrified Trees... so it should NEVER be a problem.

Ta-Dah!! Summer Defeated.. 

on a more personal note: I can only wish Klei will someday make a Harder difficulty that makes you actually NEED to use items like Beargers Winter Vest, a Winter Hat and .. 

Spoiler

A heated Thermal Stone

Just to stay alive through Winter.

That is my single BIGGEST Problem with this game Franchise to be entirely honest.... there are all these craftables items that makes staying alive easier.. but you don’t actually ever NEED all of them. I’m playing a Uncompromising Wilderness Survival game Ain’t I??? maybe it’s about time we got a mode where I’ll actually need them to survive? :)

But maybe that’s just me wanting a Totally Uncompromising Mode. (Maybe someday it’ll happen.. maybe it won’t.. who knows.) I would like for Dragon Scale Armor to actually be useful in intense heat... But I fear I may be in the minority of wanting a mode like this.

• Like 1

ToXic Cur3    40
23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

NEED to use items like Beargers Winter Vest, a Winter Hat

Most people do not use those items since your wasting a slot for backpack that gives you more space to carry unless you carry these items with you so if your freezing or overheating stay still and swap it out to cool down/heat up and besides if you spawn in autumn most likely you would prepare for winter so by then you should have a beefalo hat if not a winter hat which is good and a thermal 

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Ice-Flingo Matic

Not necessarily a flingo is not needed to worry for summer to me I'm not sure for others but it's mostly use to cover your base to put out wildfires and to prevent withering of the grass,twigs,farm plots and since the oasis is smolder free plus the fact you can base in a cave to skip out on the season makes alot of items pretty much useless to have with you but its preference so I cannot go against that which is fine with me

Edited by ToXic Cur3

I’m with OP on this one. The shading and music is nice but that’s really the only unique thing. The fact that everyone’s suggestion is to just do cave exploration shows you how void the overland is of new seasonal content (and wildfires being a bit unfun in their current state). It ought to be more like winter since it is the inverse harsh season with a theme that potentially adjusts the land a bit and have unique mobs and bosses. Ex: winter has penguins, ice, klaus, mactusk, and snow everywhere so something similar to go with antlion’s theme is increased seismic activity causing temporary growths of rock from non base damaging fissures and some form of mobs that come up from the depths. Potentially another raid boss and another rare loot mob. It honestly would be my favorite season if it was a winter parallel instead of being the dull easier version.

Edited by Kelloggs Dogfry

ArubaroBeefalo    1801
1 minute ago, Kelloggs Dogfry said:

I’m with OP on this one. The shading and music is nice but that’s really the only unique thing. The fact that everyone’s suggestion is to just do cave exploration shows you how void the overland is of new seasonal content (and wildfires being a bit unfun in their current state). It ought to be more like winter since it is the inverse harsh season with a theme that potentially adjusts the land a bit and have unique mobs and bosses. Ex: winter has penguins, ice, klaus, and snow everywhere so something similar to go with antlion’s theme is increased seismic activity causing temporary growths of rock from non base damaging fissures and some form of mobs that come up from the depths. It honestly would be my favorite season if it was a winter parallel instead of being the dull easier version. 

you can totally counter wildfire with the goose fan so instead of winter gear you bring with you a fan to prevent resources to burn, its a big deal but klei should add more events to summer. Its like you dont have enough time in winter to do all the stuff but then in summer the only thing that could consume your time is fishing (a not so fun activity when you were doing it 3 in game days)

• Like 1

@ArubaroBeefalo I’m not disagreeing with you because it is easy enough to counter wildfires, but in big bases when you’re just running around it’s a really annoying thing to have pay attention to. Because of how preventable it is, it doesn’t even feel like a proper threat either. I think they could increase the rate at which things burn, but just limit it to things such as trees or maybe some other plants and that would make it much more interesting since summer will be a time where you need to protect your wood resources or you’ll not have anything left. It can still spread to your base if you’re not careful, but it’s mainly a wood threat. But yeah, the bigger thing is making a reason to actually play summer like every other season instead of afk fishing or cave spelunking. More events and unique seasonal mobs/fights would be awesome!

Edited by Kelloggs Dogfry
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i like summer. The atmosphere its so well done, hounds are more dangerous because they can burn resources, the music <3

if you dont like the mechanics you can skip it in oasis and caves

the only problem i see with summer is how annoying is to obtain the recipe for the dessert googles

I see the fact that you can skip it as a problem. especially because you SHOULD skip it. the downsides of being in a cave are far less than requiring flingomatics everywhere. Summer is just a much more expensive season than winter. in winter you can usually still get stuff done easily if you're well equipped, while in summer you need to expend a lot of resources to get stuff done on the surface due to the fact if you leave base then everything near you starts catching fire. "Skipping" summer shouldn't be the best thing you can do. Winter at least has reasons you might like the season- you can preserve farm plots and berries by leaving them unpicked and things spoil slower, plus there's mactusk. All summer has is the oasis and cactus flowers.

I'd say summer at least has longer days so you can get more done, but not only is daytime the worst part of summer thanks to wildfires so you wish dusk was longer, but by the time you get to summer you'll have had 3 seasons to make a mining helmet so you can shrug off all effects but the minor sanity loss of night time.

Edited by Confused Rock
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Confused Rock said:

I see the fact that you can [and should] skip it as a problem. 

Yes exactly! As much as I honestly would love to see RoT updates and cave updates and etc, I think summer is currently really problematic in this state and should be addressed! 
While I think the addition of events and content is more relevant, I just had an alternate idea for a wildfire change as well and wanted to pitch the concept: I definitely still lean heavily towards increased wildfire rates but only trees and related plants smoldering, but what if it was more of a telegraphed event like rain? The character could quote the “sun is being particularly hot today” and the temperature might be a bit higher than usual for summer with maybe extra rays of sun coming down to emphasize it, and during this brief period of intense heat, things could be prone to smoldering. The thermometer could also gain utility by having the appearance of almost breaking from how high the temperature is getting which will warn the player of the incoming phenomena. 
Again, I like the idea of constant woodland threat more, but this could be a potentially interesting alternative. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

minespatch    71382
4 hours ago, ToXic Cur3 said:

@minespatch I like the concept idea of the tumbleweed it would be like a bounty of your character that would be fun 

Maybe it has birchnut type babies that follow him like cheerleaders? Like tiny cactus bulbs?

So like frog rain Kelloggs? for a moment I was thinking it was a perfect idea, then I realised it'd be like frog rain in that you just pretend it never happens by hiding underground and now I'm like ehhh. Is that really an issue? I don't know. Unless it was also very common- say every other day or so, then it'd be fine since you'd be losing a lot of time if you tried to hide from it in every situation.

Edited by Confused Rock
  • Haha 1

CaptainChaotica    5148

Even "better" RNG Wall for summer:  Gears.  I've gone nomadic many times because of this, and that was BEFORE I started randomising the seasons (which means summer can come quicker, giving you less time to look for gears than usual) or huge worlds (more territory the clockworks could be hiding in).

I LOVE the idea of the coyote, and the red rock desert!  (Of course, Don't Starve's landscape is kinda flat, so we can't really _do_ red rock CLIFFS, but...)  I could be a hair biased, since I live out in an area that looks like this:

utahtrain.png.1c8c5ba0ef6e347cd08fd602487beb72.png

(isn't that like one of the most just casually WESTERN! landscapes you've ever seen?  And yes, I've taken this exact train.)

and in the summer, a lot of that sagebrush turns to this:

purplesage.png.5d632538dea1a090a1948e239cd404da.png

(more or less; I had a hard time finding the exact plant I remembered seeing.)  I'm not sure what it would DO, gameplay-wise, but having literal Purple Sage would be a lovely bit of atmosphere.  Well, to be precise the sagebrush plants would BE there (desert/rocklands?) all year, but only turn purpley like this in the summer. As they do in real life.

...I'm not sure about the idea of THE ENTIRE OCEAN BOILING and cooked fish coming to the surface because, well, um...Don't Starve has never been known for its realism, but for the entire oceans to literally _boil_, you'd kinda get this:

(you don't have to watch the whole thing; I think the thumbnail and name are appropriate enough. : P  Also, I just noticed that logo in the upper left corner there...I love the idea of a what-if story about THE ENTIRE EARTH EVENTUALLY MELTING (_now_ rather than in billions of years; that's the what-if part) being on freaking DISNEY +...)

Also I can't imagine that it could be 210 F/100 C in the water and not comparably hot on land--there's no way ANYthing would live, not even under Don't Starve rules.  Maybe tardigrades and shadow monsters...?

I DO already carry grass, nitre, and a thermal stone on me in summer (also an umbrella and sometimes a straw hat) and in the winter...I don't know about people ignoring the winter hat, 'cos _I_ certainly don't.  I go with earmuffs only if I haven't found the beefalo yet.  I do of course also keep a thermal stone and grass and wood with me, but (flings self over backpack) NOOOOO, don't make me give up all those precious, desperately-needed inventory slots for an entire season...!

I'm with you on the "it's a shame that some items exist in the game but are hardly ever used" thing, in principle...but I don't think FORCING people to wear them is the answer.

I'm not sure about the Beefalo Bill as a summer MacTusk thing--would he have (OBNOXIOUS) ranged weapons, too?  Cactus flowers only exist in summer and only in the desert, and for some people they're ALREADY not worth it to go there--add the threat of possibly being sniped, and...  Also the desert is already massively unsafe in parts, what with sandstorm all over one and the Dragonfly and hounds in the other.  I really don't like the idea of it having NO relatively quiet place you can just catch a breather in...and then hurt yourself picking cactus all day.  : P

(anybody else remember when for a while there, the COMBAT MUSIC would kick in for a minute whenever you picked a cactus?  Good times. XD)

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
better wording
  • Like 1

Theetis    64

Unlike in Summer, you can at least be productive, hunt mobs or bosses and expand your base during Winter.

For me, as a basebuilder in a world that's almost 1500 days old, Summer is an inconvenience that basically makes me waste 25% of the in-game year because the wildfires will just burn half of my base if I don't leave.

And it's not like the idea of "just go to the oasis/caves lol" is useful. There really isn't anything interesting to do in the antlion desert, other than just killing the antlion. The caves are also a very boring and uninteresting place. It doesn't really have anything unique other than the Ruins, the Atrium and Toadstool (which isn't even worth fighting, that loot is useless). Clearing out the Ruins also usually takes 5 days at best; there's still 15 days of being unable to really do anything interesting in the game remaining.
There really is no point to even fully explore the caves, because the biomes down there are either copies of what you find in the overworld, or boring mushroom biomes that don't provide anything other than... mushrooms. Or rock biomes that provide just that: rocks. If the caves had a major overhaul and actually made the entire underground have valuable resources, then going there each in-game year would at least be rewarding.

So yeah, Summer sucks and is boring.

• Like 4