chenais

Why is rain cold damage so sudden?

Terra M Welch    3902
3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Hide contents
  • Throughout all spring it will rain, a lot, but after 4 or 5 days into spring you can ditch your thermal and just try to stay insulated or dry every once and then.

It's usually by about the 3rd day of spring that you can ditch a thermal, nights are just barely warm enough granted you don't get wet.

• Like 2

Bird Up    1409

Yes it is sudden. In winter, if you fall below 5 degrees, (using the mod that shows character temperature) then you see the "you're about to freeze" chilling vignette. However, if it's the first day of spring and you have only 10 wetness, you will not have the chilling vignette falling under 5 degrees and you'll begin freezing.

Your wetness meter alone isn't enough to tell you if you will freeze or not. You can be at 100% wetness on the last day of spring and not freeze, and you can be at 10% wetness on the first day of spring and freeze... It's actually annoying, especially as Willow who takes huge freeze damage, and it's good someone brought it up.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 4

CaptainChaotica    5148

oftenkilledby.png.c7e7e41330e825be492f7283ee9e82a6.png

...and I haven't counted, but I would SWEAR that's maybe only _half_ due to winter.  And no, not just because I play as Willow.  I play other characters too.  Spring sunshine is deceptive!

Edit:  I'm not saying take away spring freezing--it makes some kind of sense (as much as anything in this game does), after all.  What I AM saying is we should have just as much warning before it happens no matter _what_ season it is.

Also:  I play with randomised season lengths, and one thing I've noticed is that the length of the season overall affects how soon/late certain different parts of it happen.  It's proportional.  For example, I recently had a long summer, and I KNEW something was up when my character started shivering next to the endothermic fire for the first not one, not two, not three, but FOUR nights.

So, when you can put away your thermal in spring changes according to how long the spring IS.  If anybody else here plays with non-standard season lengths, that's something to keep in mind.

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rinkusan    791

I recommend making a parasol + straw hat while standing under a tree if death by rain is a major issue. The parasol provides 50% wetness resistance while the straw hat provides 20%; the tree that you stand under provides 35%. Any character can make these with 0 science, and the total cost is a measily 6 flower petals, 15 grass, and 4 twigs.

Spring is the one time where it's okay and - if anything - encouraged to pick flowers since flowers respawn when the ground is wet.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CaptainChaotica    5148

That's pretty much how I made it through my first couple of springs in the "March of Civilization" challenge.  I wasn't allowed (didn't allow myself, that is) to make a proper umbrella yet.  And it's also one of the reasons I always keep a "shelter tree" in my camp.  (The other reason being shade.)

Spoiler

autumnchristmastree.thumb.png.3ec587970c98d1a4c16dd4b374e31673.png

Pictured:  (on the right)  The Shelter Tree.  (And yes, it's bigger than usual.  Mod.  Called Big Birchnuts Together.) 

Although when playing with others, I often have to put a "THIS IS HERE FOR A REASON.  DO NOT CHOP.  WE HAVE PLENTY OF OTHER TREES YOU IDIOT" sign since people just go "Oh, free firewood right here!  Awesome!"

And yes, go ahead and pick flowers in the spring...but if you pick the flowers by the beebox, I WILL come after you.

So will the bees.  : P

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 1