Webber should be one of the next characters to get a refresh, not because it's necessary, i guess all the necessary reworks were made already, for willow and woodie. This rework is mostly to improve the character, and match the other characters who got reworked recently, currently webber's best use is for gathering spider resources, by making they fight each other, i think that webber perks should be more related to spider befriending, currenly tamed spiders are more like worse pigmans, even from the fact of being able to tame more than 1 spider at once, i think that his rework could make his spider befriending perks more close to wurt's perks related to other merms, and to other character allies that got refreshed. Anyway, there's my list of ideas:

*Webber's nest and spider army:
    Spiders would be tamed and act the same way as ever, not sure if it's implemented already, but he would have a limit of spiders for his army, being close to 10, and webber can craft a special nest for them, it requires a certain quantity of silk, spider gland and a few living log to craft it(note that it would have a different appearence from regular spider nests), this nest is where tamed spiders would live after their time as webber followers runs out, the nest has a limit of spiders which can stay in the nest, but the nest can be upgraded, using certain materials, getting more expensive and requiring different items for each level, there are the details for each level:
   -In level 1, it's spiders act the same way as regular spiders, they requires meat to join back webber's spider army, and at this level and higher levels, a new spider is generated after a long time(slower than natural generated nests) if there's at least 1 spider in the nest. 
   -At level 2, the nest appearence changes, it can hold more spiders, the spiders start gifting webber with random monster and creature loots, mostly being spider loot, and from this level and the next ones they are no longer hostile to webber allies that aren't spiders or webber, such as players, pets and gates(they will still attack walls and fences). 
   -At level 3, the nest appearence changes, it's spider capaciblity is increased even more, the spider presents get more frequent, and the spider no longer requires monster meat to go along webber, instead they require a craftable item which will hire any spider from his nest to his army, and spiders from this nest in his army will no longer eat items at the ground that they would normally eat.
   -Once level 3 is reached, upgrading another time will generate a spider queen, that will stay near the nest and if webber offer her any meat, she'll instantly generate a spider, having a chance of being generated with a random role, she will attack any enemy near the nest just like any spider, if the queen dies, another one can be generated for the same price.

*Spider roles:
    Webber can craft 4 items to promote a spider from his nest or his army into a different spider role each, each item requires a certain quantity of silk, spider gland and a different item matching the role, there's the concept for each role:
   -Warrior: The most offensive class, has higher damage and health than regular spiders, and can lunge at enemies, he'll also temporarily boost the damage of nearby spiders and webber at the beggining of each combat, with a cooldown before being able to do it again.
   -Ranger: able to split silk at enemies that deals damage from a further distance, similar to spitters, it slows the enemy even more for each silk attack that hits, it'll switch to a regular spider attack once the target gets close.
   -Healer: eventually heals nearby spiders and webber a small amount, with a cooldown between each heal, but is weaker than other roles.
   -Stealth: disguises itself as a small boulder to lose aggro, until it reveals itself to deal a surprise lunge attack, that deals high damage at once, and applies an effect(which i'm still not so sure about the effect, it could be a reduction in the damage the target deals or poison that deals damage over time) to the target, if the enemy attacks him during his disguise, he'll reveal itself and switch to regular spider attacks, whitout disguising him.
    There's a limited number of spiders from each role that the nest can hold, the regular spider limit is still the highest, once a spider gets a role, it'll remain with the role until death.

*Arachnidery tab:
     Exclusive crafting tab for webber, where he crafts all the webber exclusive items mentioned before, and 2 other items:
    -Web trab: requires some silk and rope to be crafted, place on the ground to slow down any non spider or webber creature on it, just like the web around spider nests.
    -Cobbed walls: requiring 4 walls of any kind and 1 silk, these walls are covered in silk, which grants them an extra protection, and makes spider don't attack them, but they're flammable, even if they're not walls made of a flammable material.

*Other webber abilities:
     Other new webber advantages and disadvantages brought along the patch:
    -Pros: he gains more benefits from monster lasagna, as it's his favorite dish, he has less sanity drain in dusk and night times due to his spider habit, he'll also have a less sanity drain to everything the bigger his spider army is, as he feels more protected with this spider buddies, his maximum sanity would be increased.
   -Cons: he gets his sanity constantly drained when nearby pigs and bunnymen(could be applied to wortox and wurt aswell), catcoons doesn't scare him much, he would lose sanity for each spider that dies nearby him, similar to wormwood's relation with plants that dies, and he could also have a reduced max health as he can get a spider army to protect him, and spiders aren't so tough anyway.
     (Those next changes are for every character):
     -Piggy mask: present in the dress tab, which makes the wearer to be seen as a pigman, making pigman, catcoon and bunnymen not agressive to webber, wortox and wurt if they're wearning it, but spiders and merms will, crafted with 2 twigs, 1 pig skin and 1 silk, it has a durability that decreases over time and when the wearer get hurt, wurt gets her sanity drained while wearing it as she hates pigs, and obviously wouldn't be happy to look like one.
     -Silk being used as fuel: it would make sense, as silk and spider nests are flammable, i don't even know why it haven't been implemented yet
     Feel free to comment any of your thoughts about my suggestion, and i hope dst devs could at least check this, webber is possibly the next in the rework line, next to Maxwell and Wolfgang. I also made a concept for Wes character refresh, i know that he's the challenge character, but this concept isn't much suitable for a multiplayer game, as it just difficults for everyone when any player chooses to be him, they wanting or not, check it out!

Edited by The batting bat
  • Like 1

Miu3    8

I like the web flooring and web walls. I think he should also have web for packaging food like real spiders do

• Like 1

first of all tbh i saw this post once already but i didnt bother to make a reply but when i saw that the author of this post made a reply saying that he was sad that this post wasnt getting the attention and love that it deserves which made me feel bad so here i am 

so in my opinion klei has reached the point where now most of the characters theyre now working on are now more refreshs than reworks and the fact that klei are even working on reworks and refreshs on all the characters is great they could have just made everything in a new reign made multiplayer and just called that dont starve  with a together without making any new updates but they instead went above and beyond and started adding updates for free  which im greatful for so what im trying to say is. is that if klei were to add anything new to webber id be happy but ill start talking about my opinion on this refresh idea

i personally thin that its great but i disagree with a few things like during the cons section you mention that webber would be protected by a army now i dont know if you mean protected as in hides behind a horde of spiders or he has spiders protecting his back but in dont starve together spiders have each others backs (usually)so i think it would be cool if a spider died within a certain radius of webber he would get mad and gain a 25% damage boost for like 7 seconds 

i also wish you could be a bit more specific  like his max health how much would it be or the sanity he would lose from each dying spider so ill make my own numbers so i did my research spiders in dont starve together have 100 health and the average health for most people in dont starve together have 150 so with math i think it would be good if webber had 125 health you would maybe be able to increase to a max of 175-200 health and about the sanity loss form the dead spider (i hope klei doesnt add something like this would ruin what people use webber for )i think it would vary based on the spider type  like if you were to kill a normal spider you would lose a small amount of sanity and if you were to kill a spider warrior,shattered spider,dangling depth dweller you would lose a moderate amount of sanity and if you were to kill a spider queen you would lose a high amount of sanity 

and this last part is for the batting bat (the author of this post) this is for you to think about this a bit more like the fact the webber is also a spider so shouldnt he also be able to change into different spider types. i also have some ideas i had in my head  like a super silky trap that would cost more silk and would function like ewecus`s snot shoving the person or animal into a trapped state for a while and spiders within a certain distance would go to kill whatever is stuck in it. i alos got this small  idea about item webber could make called hardened silk which could be made with four silk and one steel wool and with it you could make hardened silk walls that would have even more health than the silk walls and maybe they wouldnt be flammable 

anyways thats all i got thanks for reading k bye

• Like 1

On 30/03/2020 at 6:34 PM, QuartzBeam said:

I'm pretty sure Silk is not flammable...

it is, what do you think that makes spider nests flammable? but for some reason they can't be used on campfire, i guess it makes sense, so players won't be able to waste silk on campfires just like some woodie players used to do with living log before his refresh, since woodie could eat living log just like any other log and wood

QuartzBeam    843
9 minutes ago, The batting bat said:

it is, what do you think that makes spider nests flammable? but for some reason they can't be used on campfire, i guess it makes sense, so players won't be able to waste silk on campfires just like some woodie players used to do with living log before his refresh, since woodie could eat living log just like any other log and wood

Silk is not flammable. You cannot set it on fire with a torch. And it's perfectly safe to drop it right in the middle of a wildlife, because it does not burn. Whether or not something can be put in a campfire has nothing to do with whether the game considers it flammable. (For example, Elephant Cacti and Coffee Bushes are not flammable, yet they can be used as fuel.)

• Thanks 1