[Game Update] - 401443

24 minutes ago, Toriih said:

It never made a difference as Abigail rewarded her lack of damage with her own damage, and just like before, her downside kicks in when she is without Abigail. It can be most of but it's not at all times that she will be with you, as always.

Now it was improved and you can help allies. Wendy and Abigail are such a good pair now, but as a team they work even better. I understand your opinions but there is nothing to complain about, Wendy was never a complicated character and I see no reason to be now. 

I don’t play with her because she's easy but because of the unique gameplay she had, which has now returned and was improved.

It does, Downsides force you into different playstyles, Example; Wormwood gets no HP from Food, this forces  you to look into alternatives like Fertilizer, Bandaids or Teammates
Wendy's Downside is a Damage Multiplier, she deals less which forces you to look into alternate ways of attacking; Abigail. But now with the changes, mainly that Abigail gives a Petal Debuff to Enemies for them to take increased damage, why should you not fight anymore? Your Downside has been completely nullified. When your Damage Boost no longer is done with HP, but time, you got even less reasons to not fight. But I dont expect to make anyone see what I mean...

• Like 2

This is really really nice thanks guys. In a combat scenario 99.9% of the time ide rather rely on my self rather than a ai, not to say the ai is better now the two will be working together. Also wanna see how the petals are gonna affect damage seems nice so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Wendy's Downside is a Damage Multiplier, she deals less which forces you to look into alternate ways of attacking; Abigail. But now with the changes, mainly that Abigail gives a Petal Debuff to Enemies for them to take increased damage, why should you not fight anymore? Your Downside has been completely nullified.

"why should you not fight anymore?"

Why, why shouldn't you have fought earlier? Was there any reason not to fight as Wendy? It takes a little more time and resources, that's all.
A noob will die to Deerclops no matter the character, and a pro will kill it, also no matter with which charater.

"Your Downside has been completely nullified."; "Wendy's Downside is a Damage Multiplier, she deals less which forces you to look into alternate ways of attacking; Abigail."

Well, Wendy's downside is still there, which forces us to use an alternate way of attacking: Abigail. With Abigail you have decent damage, without her lower damage, this is true for both her current and pre-rework state. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 11

• Developer

Thanks again for all the feedback! 

We at the office (home offices) also enjoyed the risk/reward gameplay of the original revamp. In the end though, after reading all the feedback and reassessing how it was implemented, Wendy was not the best character to give this to. Since there are a number of people here who really enjoyed this mechanic, it will be saved for someone more appropriate. It's been suggested a lot that we give it to Wes, which might work, but we will probably end up saving it for a new character.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 15

3 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

We at the office (home offices) also enjoyed the risk/reward gameplay of the original revamp. In the end though, after reading all the feedback and reassessing how it was implemented, Wendy was not the best character to give this to. Since there are a number of people here who really enjoyed this mechanic, it will be saved for someone more appropriate. It's been suggested a lot that we give it to Wes, which might work, but we will probably end up saving it for a new character.

Thank you. This is what a lot of people have pointed out and I agree.  Wendy is supposed to be the risky caharacter. She is the one who works with her sister.  Personally I believe the petals were an amazing idea that really bring out the idea of working with your sister.

Edited by AngryMan
  • Like 4

Abigail is seriously amazing right now. Automatically farms rabbits, gobblers and butterflies, takes the tedium out of koalefant and volt goat hunting, can solo hound waves and frog rains. Give her an Unyielding Draught during the night and she can even face-tank a herd of 10 beefalo on her own. Give her a Spectral Cure-All and a Hambat/Dark Sword and the two of you can basically melt the Deerclops.

I particularly like how the new (well, old) damaging scaling method helps differentiate some of the elixirs. Nightshroud Nostrum is probably the go-to combat booster on the surface, but there are still situations where you would want to wait for night instead just so you can combine maximum DPS Abigail with a different elixir; for instance, the Abigail vs. 10 Beefalo situation above. And, of course, it becomes obsolete in the caves/ruins where Abigail is always at maximum DPS, which gives Distilled Vengeance more than a few chances to shine.

I must admit this does feel a teensy bit like an overcorrection, what with the much easier damage scaling and the hugely improved potions and the ghost petals thing, but... I think I'll manage. :p

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

I really appreciate the changes you guys made to Wendy. I play on PS4 so these changes will help a ton. Any idea when we can expect this hotfix update on consoles?

8 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Didn't mention it before, but I was genuinely surprised how you managed to patch the Wendy rework in less than a week and even include new assets into the game (the flower buff that floats around mobs) without being able to even go to the office to work and have access all your work equipment.

We really appreciate the work and dedication you put into this game and in the community, despite not everyone being 100% satisfied with the solution.

Thanks a lot and please stay amaizing.

Edited by CremeLover
  • Like 12

Just when l was actually having fun with her she goes back to the same old play style, l wish wendy was a more valuable asset in multiplayer, just like warly or wickerbottom, she could apply the petal debuff to enemies for longer, craft more unique potions other players could use as well, (ghostly light, sanity, etc.) that would be really cool and fun.

• Developer
19 minutes ago, Fierystar88 said:

Any idea when we can expect this hotfix update on consoles?

Working from home with the consoles has been a bit tricky and we are not sure how Covid-19 will impact the process. We are hoping to have the update out by end of day tomorrow (PST). Fingers crossed.

28 minutes ago, CremeLover said:

I was genuinely surprised how you managed to patch the Wendy rework in less than a week and even include new assets into the game (the flower buff that floats around mobs) without being able to even go to the office to work and have access all your work equipment.

Thanks. We have amazing people on the team, which allows us to react quickly. It's been a shift in workflow for sure, but we spent a lot of time in video chats and sharing what's being worked on so no one is left in the dark. As for the equipment, most of us took pretty much everything home. Some people even took home their fancy standing desks and/or chairs. Jamie and Jeff have been super supportive through the process, making sure everyone has what they need. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

The petal mechanic is masterful game design. Now you have an incentive not only to make sure abgail stays alive with you in boss fights but also to fight alongside her with said bossfights.

People complaining about the change back from the HP based damage really don't gat it at all, the way it was the incentive was for you to stay aside almost dead and let her do all the work. Thematically counter intuitive for wendy. Don't get me wrong, it is a really cool mechanic, but one that does not fit wendy in any way. The dusk/dark damage buff makes more sense with her themes and the fact that Abgail is a ghost.

Still think the shield should be a little bit longer (maybe 1 second without potion and 1.25/1.5 with it), i do think the other potions are a bit underwhelming too, but the potion that makes her do night damage during the day is really cool, it gives A BIG incentive to use it almost all the time, which is a big incentive to seek out the little ghosts to craft it and that is GREAT GAME DESIGN JUST AS THE PETAL DEBUFF.

I'm not a wendy main, but overall i think this one made wendy a really cool character with the right incentives for her gameplay, good job.

Edited by Conejoo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Sorry had to react with laugh emote over the thought of packing up your fancy desks and chairs.

but in all seriousness, glad you guys are able to still get things done even during this Covid-19 stuff, this game franchise and Klei is amazing!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ScottHansen said:

OMG!!!! I just had a great Idea Can you give it to Charlie?!?! :D (I know you guys have been thinking about making her Playable..) If (Or When) she becomes Playable.. this would be an Excellent feature to Apply to her-

Think of it as like- when at high health she’s the happy go lucky human Charlie we know.., but when dangerously close to dying the Dark Nightmare Side enrages and takes her over.

E323B1EE-165E-43B5-82D8-1F25CB30C03C.png

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Kinda sad to see the increased damage with reduced health go away, as it was an interesting risk vs reward trade off.

But now being able to do more damage as a team seems to be a fair trade off!

It is nice to see that Klei listens and doesn't just shrug off comments and suggestions like any other game studio would, this is why you guys are the best!

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

@ScottHansen It appears that attacking Abigail as the owner does not put Abigail back to her flower but instead kills her instantly like it was before, which is bit annoying since she'll loose all the buffs when doing it. But now you can also use the flower on Abigail to make her return too, without loosing buffs. If that's still the case: Could 'attacking abigail as Wendy' be adjusted to 'using the flower on her' instead of 'killing Abigail instantly'? Not everyone knows about that feature right now and some still play Wendy the old style by attacking Abigail once they don't need her.

Waaiiiittt i'm just now realizing this XD LOL! When people said "return Abby" i just thought they killed her each time like i did. Now i know lol

• Haha 2

image.png.f2d2df3fb41d397badc6f5a6cc1183c6.png
Strangely, Wendy seems to be damaging roughly 50% more with petal effect since [26.6 - 15(abigail day DMG) = 11.1] 
Meanwhile, script shows
"ABIGAIL_VEX_GHOSTLYFRIEND_DAMAGE_MOD = 1.4"
which means wendy should receive 40% damage buff.
Is there some other factor that could be increasing Wendy's damage in this case or is this a bug?

• Like 2