Naveil

Turning on caves automatically should be an option

Well-met    1885

the engine can't create a shard when it's already mid shard.

enabling caves on a local server also changes a whole lot of things that aren't necessarily worth the trade off such as action delay.

Edited by Well-met
  • Confused 2

Yeah, and while that’s a consideration, I’d think it would be nice to have that option for all other things too like disease since the current state of the feature is widely unpopular and a lot of people just have to remember to turn it off.

Maxil20    493
1 hour ago, Naveil said:

How many times have you created a new world, played for a few days, and then realized you forgot to turn on caves? I can't speak for everybody, but for myself, it's happened quite a bit.

I get the reason behind this, but for now there is a pretty simple way to realize you didn’t turn on caves while you are creating a world, which is the world generation screen (not the generating prompt you get that you can cancel with cave worlds).

If at any point you generate a world and see this screen, you did not make a cave world. The reason why is while a cave world is 2 dedicated servers running simultaneously, a single world is just simply hosted from your PC. As a result, the screen doesn’t appear for the caves because it boots up 2 servers in the background before letting you in the world, but always appears for non cave worlds since it immediately occurs. The only exception to see this screen on a cave world is if you are regenerating the world due to the ingame prompt to force regenerate one with the same settings.

• Thanks 3

CameoAppearance    1690

I usually notice before I build a base when I've forgotten/neglected to turn caves on (either at the loading screen, or when I see one of those bald patches on the ground while exploring), but I also agree that a master switch for whether to generate caves by default would be a good quality-of-life addition.

• Like 1

camelot    188

I think a better UI at world settings screen that let you know that cave world is currently turn off is good enough

• Thanks 1

sovon9    55
10 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It wouldn't be much of a problem if it was easier to add caves into an existing world.

It really needs to happen 

15 hours ago, Naveil said:

How many times have you created a new world, played for a few days, and then realized you forgot to turn on caves? I can't speak for everybody, but for myself, it's happened quite a bit. The feeling of realizing that all the effort you put into your world is basically for naught, since you're locking yourself out of a quarter of the game,

Well, the feeling is aggravating, to say the least.

I understand why no caves is an option. Some computers legitimately might not be able to handle it, although mine has worked completely fine. But caves being off by default is a pretty big annoyance. The simple option here is to add an option to toggle on or off whether you want caves enabled or disabled by default when creating a new world. It would save half the playerbase a lot of hassle, while still letting the other half carry on with what they're doing.

I can feel the pain my friend. I watched so many DST videos before buying this but none of them showed that you have to enable cave that is in different sidebar of the page and then you will have cave in your world also I played don't starve where cave automatically comes. 

Atleast klei should add a warning message if you haven't enabled cave.