New Characters  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Should Klei keep adding new characters to DST beyond the last one planned?

2. 2. Should Klei keep porting DS characters like they did with Warly?

• Yes, some would be really cool to have
    • No, the remaining characters wouldn't work on DST.
    • Undecided / Other

Hello Everyone, 

JoeW stated that beyond the already planned new character this year, they will not add new characters just for adding new character's sake. However I love the idea of new characters, and I was thinking that maybe a handful new ones beyond what's planned would be cool. The other option is, instead of adding entirely new characters, just porting old characters and rework them for DST, like they did for Warly.

What do you think?

I would like more content to be added first. These character reworks/additions seem to take awhile, and they still go through the same motions as any other survivor.

I’d much rather have new content if characters are going to take months of work to implement because the game itself has gotten stale for me.

Porting takes less time, especially if you don't rework the character that was already great. Plus you already know if the character is going to be popular in DST if he/she was popular in DS, as compared to new character which may end up unpopular even if it's been purchased/woven a lot due to release hype.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

I'm undecided since I can't speak for Klei. I'd rather see what they do.

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly (English is not my native language) I guess the real question is what would you like, not what's best for the company. I may edit that.

It's hard to say. Hopefully the new characters are doing a good job at funding free content updates—if so I'm all for new characters and new updates. The only real concern is them beginning to tread on already covered territory (Wurt sorta felt like that). There is undoubtedly some areas left to cover—such as a boat/ocean themed character or a cave character (without making them too niche).

On the matter of porting characters, I'm all for that. Wheeler and Wilbur would be fine with some tweaks. Wilba and Wagstaff would need to be careful not to take from/outshine Woodie and Winona. Walani and Woodlegs would need a drastic rework I feel.

• In 2019 there was 3 DST reworks, 3 Brand New Characters and 1 SW port (Wormwood is BNC and a port of HAM)

Winona, Wortox, Willow, Wormwood, Warly, Woodie, Wurt

• There's 1 BNC left and 9 DST reworks left, so assuming it's the same in 2020 (without ports) Maxwell, Wilson, Wolfgang for 2021

Wendy (Mar), BNC (April), Wx-78 (June), Wes (July), Wicker (Sept), Webber (Oct), Wigfrid (Nov)

• (With ports) replace Wx-78 with Walani - due to "She Sells Seashells" update, it's also perfect for the summer vibes
  • (With ports) replace Wes with Wheeler

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

It's hard to say. Hopefully the new characters are doing a good job at funding free content updates—if so I'm all for new characters and new updates. The only real concern is them beginning to tread on already covered territory (Wurt sorta felt like that). There is undoubtedly some areas left to cover—such as a boat/ocean themed character or a cave character (without making them too niche).

On the matter of porting characters, I'm all for that. Wheeler and Wilbur would be fine with some tweaks. Wilba and Wagstaff would need to be careful not to take from/outshine Woodie and Winona. Walani and Woodlegs would need a drastic rework I feel.

Why are you contradicting your own post.. you say there should be a character focused on boats and then you go on to say Walani and Woodlegs would need drastic Reworks.

If that’s how you feel.. Meh.

MEANWHILE I see the Boat Cookie and all its Boat Cookie Accessories as  nothing more than a Modified version of Shipwrecked boats.

Allow me to explain before you fly off the walls about me talking about Shipwrecked Content.

In Shipwrecked you Started with what was a Base Platform Similar to the Boat Cookie but more Raft or Boat Shaped- 

You can then Apply upgrades to your raft/boat with items such as Masts for faster movement speed, Lanterns for night time adventures, Motors for even faster movement speed, Trawl Nets, Battering Rams, Boat Canons etc.

You want a Boat Expert and get you go on to say that Woodlegs would need a massive Rework, which just ain’t true at all.

Woodlegs wouldn’t have his own personal Overpowered Ship Anymore.. but what he would have in replace of it is Unique to him Boat Kit Structures, Such as a Captains Steering Wheel, a Crows Nest, Fishing Trawl, you get the idea.

And as far as his Hidden Treasures go, it’s LITERALLY the same thing as finding lost trinkets for Pipspook as Wendy.

Walani on the other hand has a slow moving Surfboard and that’s pretty much it.

If you fight the Malbatross you can get a superior Boat Cookie sail so your Boat Cookie moves faster.. pretty certain that the ONLY thing preventing Walani from joining the cast is that she would be as boring as Pre-Rework Wilson.. so hopefully when (or if) Walani does come to DST they find some cool interesting perks for her.

I also don’t mind AT ALL that some characters fulfill similar roles- Wurt SHOULD have an Army of Merms, Webber SHOULD have an Army of Spiders, Wilbur SHOULD have an Army of Splumonkey.. 

Webbers Spiders can’t Mine Rocks or Trees.. and I would imagine Splumonkey would be able to retrieve stuff like Birchnut, Fruits etc from trees without the player needing to chop said tree down.

The TL:DR it’s OKAY for multiple characters to have personal Colony building opportunities, as long as those colonies fulfill drastically different gameplay roles.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The TL:DR it’s OKAY for multiple characters to have personal Colony building opportunities, as long as those colonies fulfill drastically different gameplay roles.

Except it's not.

You can only do so much stuff with that before it becomes literally the same thing.

1 hour ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Except it's not.

You can only do so much stuff with that before it becomes literally the same thing.

Of course, anything when it becomes over used will wear out its appeal.

Just look at the now almost dead Zombie & Horde modes that get slapped into almost every game on the market. They are nowhere near as popular as they used to be.

But I trust that Klei knows how to make each character unique, fun and Interesting to play.

Colony gameplay has never really fulfilled any other gameplay roles aside from "swarm opponents with sheer numbers" or "start infighting for resources". If there are any other purposes to swarm gameplay I may not know about, do tell me; however, those functions as I see will forever be a swarm's main selling point.

On another note, I certainly would prefer new characters over ports because I feel that new characters more fit to DST's setting and core gameplay should take precedence in implementation rather than ports which need extensive retooling and rebalancing to the point that they may have the potentially be gutted shells of their former singleplayer-based glory. (Just my opinion though. don't let it change yours.)

However, I personally feel that Wagstaff deserves a place in DST due to lore significance, and that his kit would already function well in a multiplayer setting with probably just minor tweaks or none at all needed. Though i fear he'll just be a pick n drop character for the purposes of his Telebrella, Telipads and Thumper...

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

However, I personally feel that Wagstaff deserves a place in DST due to lore significance, and that his kit would already function well in a multiplayer setting with probably just minor tweaks or none at all needed. Though i fear he'll just be a pick n drop character for the purposes of his Telebrella, Telipads and Thumper...

My big issue with Wagstaff being a playable character (besides the pick n drop issue you mentioned) is how his functionality is essentially the same thing as Winona. Both just build useful structures, with the only difference being what the buildings actually do. I'd much rather give Winona more buildings than splitting the machines between two characters.

With that in mind, I do expect Wagstaff to make some kind of an appearance in DST, I just hope it isn't a playable character.

1 hour ago, Dr. Safety said:

With that in mind, I do expect Wagstaff to make some kind of an appearance in DST, I just hope it isn't a playable character.

I wholly agree with this. If Charlie is ever freed from the Nightmare Throne, I could see Klei ambiguously/anonymously putting "someone" on the throne to take her place as justification for the end game, with it possibly being implied to be Wagstaff.

Spoiler

(Like how Don't Starve sort of ended on a cliffhanger with whichever character you had freed Maxwell with.)

To me, Wagstaff as a character seems to have ulterior motives, hence his title of "Cryptic Founder"

5 hours ago, Axelocke said:

I could see Klei ambiguously/anonymously putting "someone" on the throne to take her place as justification for the end game,

I have a theory it's going to Mourier from the Wendy lore page. People suggested the M-name is a hint to his future in the game.

I want my Warbucks back! ;( 

6 hours ago, Axelocke said:

I wholly agree with this. If Charlie is ever freed from the Nightmare Throne, I could see Klei ambiguously/anonymously putting "someone" on the throne to take her place as justification for the end game, with it possibly being implied to be Wagstaff.

Hide contents

(Like how Don't Starve sort of ended on a cliffhanger with whichever character you had freed Maxwell with.)

To me, Wagstaff as a character seems to have ulterior motives, hence his title of "Cryptic Founder"

SWagstaff could be evil, if you examine a dark sword he says ""Dark fuel forged into a fascinating weapon! Its military applications are endless!", and if he examines the aporkalypse calendar, he says "Wonderful! I wonder if I could make the world end sooner!" And maybe the current nightmare throne owner could be "freed" from her demons.. I wish.. She's the character with the best lore, no way  they'll just abandon her and make her just the night monster again, if someone does take her place. 

i would love new characters, mostly because i really want to see new character interactions and personality. and of course there are plenty of mechanics that could be used for a new character that havent been a staple of existing characters yet, not to mention expanded potential if new areas were added to the game. (like how the lunar island was added). in particular i want a human character... there is nothing wrong with the Liddle Creachurs we have, but i feel like i gotta agree with people saying they are mostly just ""army builders"" and have the "same" perks when it comes to that. (minus wortox, sorry bud)

of course while it would be very nice for the DS characters to all be in DST, i think some are better off staying with their respective DLC environments unless several key things are changed about their character and abilities. for example walani (shocker to be mentioned, i know). even with the lunar island, i feel like she wouldnt work as well in DST without a huge revamp of the oceans, as since they are mostly bare except for that, there isnt too much of a reason to keep going out surfing there. combined with her general disadvantages (faster hunger drain, low health, slower sanity gain), i think unless she was revamped to fit the environment things wouldnt be too good.

of course i could also be speaking nonsense! you know how it is

I really don't want Wagstaff to end up on the Nightmare throne, I feel like we're too far into the story for it to suddenly just go "Oh charlie is off and now wagstaff is the antagonist!", Especially for a newly released character(I know he's been hinted in the lore for several years, but still)

I don't think Wagstaff is evil either, just a tad too curious and as the saying goes, Curiosity killed the cat.

1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I really don't want Wagstaff to end up on the Nightmare throne, I feel like we're too far into the story for it to suddenly just go "Oh charlie is off and now wagstaff is the antagonist!", Especially for a newly released character(I know he's been hinted in the lore for several years, but still)

I don't think Wagstaff is evil either, just a tad too curious and as the saying goes, Curiosity killed the cat.

then who would end up there.. Warbucks?! wait.. that might be true! since his wereabouts have been unknown for the longest time!

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

Maybe not on the throne himself, but a puppet by Them and Charlie. His interest in nightmare fuel could have rendered him easily corruptible and maybe as a boss in the game, he drops blueprints for his buildings when defeated.

Archived