Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Warlockadamm

Reason you main a certain character

Who do you main as of now ?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your main? (Dst)

• Wilson
    • Willow
    • Wendy
    • Wolfgang
    • Wx-78
    • Woodie
    • Wickerbottom
    • Wes
    • Maxwell
    • Wigfrid
    • Webber
    • Winona
    • Wortox
    • Wormwood
    • Warly
    • Wurt

Warlockadamm    3175

For a while now, i've been wondering why certain people chooses certain character to play as or even what brought them to go to that character in the first place. Whether it is because of gameplay, character personnality, there appearance or for what ever other reasons, we all have our own little story of how we got to our main. This thread is for general discussion with others and to bring out the best of your dst experience and to show feedbacks to others that might still be in the look out to have a main character to play as. Below i'll show an example of what i would think would be proper to share your stories to not crowd up the whole thread. (simply put your stories in spoilers, normal discussion can be held outside of spoilers with no problem). Also i can't stress this enough but this thread is not for argumentation. Please stay comprehensive towards one another origin.

My ds\dst origins

Spoiler

So when i started playing Dont Starve, Reign of Giant wasn't even a thing. That was way back in 2015 if i'm not mistaken. At the time i was really noobish, would barely ever dream to go in the ruins and i was playing as Woodie. Being canadian myself, i was able to relate to alot of his quote and i just loved the fact of chopping wood so fast with an indestructible axe. Turning into a werebeaver seemed so funny to me and the werebeaver theme song is really entertaining. Though i would mostly only farm and stay in the same spot without ever trying to really accomplish anything in the game.

Then came Reign of Giant. When i heard that a character that had a food restriction and a fighting style that was coming along with RoG i wanted to know everything about them. That's when i started playing Wigfrid. I loved everything about her and she made me start to engage combat more and more. I started to learn to kite, learn that ennemies weren't that hard after all and that overcoming the new bosses was a really nice feeling. I played so much with Wigfrid that she gave me the necessary knowledge to attempt adventure mode. I managed to clear it in my 4th attempt and i was really pleased with what i had accomplished. 

Shipwreck followed not long after and i started  focusing to play as Warly, because of once again how he had a weird and unique hunger restriction compare to the rest of the cast. I had alot of fun with him and exploring the seas with his portable crockpot saved me more then once. 

I also had a Wendy phase, where i would go in lightsout world to try and survive in that game mode. The challenge being really fun, it got boring quickly because there wasn't alot of stuff that worked as it did on normal setting and i felt like i was missing on content. Though i do recommend to people to try out lightsout once one of these day.

During that time, i was also trying to unlock Wes because he was the last character i had to unlock and being the completionist that i am, i couldn't let that be. Took me weeks and weeks of trial and error in adventure mode to finally unlock him. I was so happy that i unlocked him that ever since then in DS i was only playing as the little mime. He wasn't that much of a change from Warly other then the fact that he punches less hard and have no audio cue. Though my Wes days in DS were really short because DST came along really fast after.

When DST started, a bit before "A new reign" i was primarly playing as Wigfrid. Her helmets are a really good mulitplayer perk in my opinion and the mob healt buff got me to think i also needed to deal more damage. I played in alot of different public server, and helping other was a thing that i really enjoyed to do with Wigfrid. Did my first  klaus fight ever as Wigfrid too and i'll never ever forgot that fight. The leeching power of wigfrid is also a very nice thing.

When "A new reign" fully got out i wanted to take on all of the bosses down. Sadly i didn't have much friends to play with so i resulted in switching to the almighty Wolfgang. Litteraly after playing a one year cycle as Wolfgang i got sick and tired of his playstyle. Killed every bosses in a flash, didn't have any real challlenge up and running for me and anything would just die instantly. Wolfgang is a really good character dont get me wrong but for me it wasn't challenging at all to play as him. 

Finally on a faithfull day, i got as a skin present Survivor Wes. When I saw the skin, I remembered the fun time i had with the lil buddy and i decided to give him a try in DST. Ever since i've been using the mime both in public server and in solo world, helping the ones that i can, building megabases and soloing bosses that i would have thought never possible to do so as Wes when i started DST. His damage reduction was a huge change from Wolfgang mightness and it really hit me hard. Though Wes made me realise that anything in this freacking game can be accomplish if you only put your mind and determination to it. 

Now i've been playing Wes mainly for the past 2 years-2 years and a half, and im really happy with what i have accomplish. The game is really difficult and the learning curve can be kind of weird. But once you get the rope of the game there is so much you can do! Though this is a really brief history of my DST experience, i did try out all the characters every now and then. This list is mostly the main characters that i played during my whole experience.

Why This Is My Main

Spoiler

-Wes is cute haha i just feel like he is a nice guy in general because of all the artwork we have on him. Even though he doesn't talk, he has a big heart.

-His hunger drain makes me lose less food. I always always produce to much food. I often say to my girlfriend that i could supply a full server of people and we would still be losing food to spoilage haha. Having to eat more gives me the opportunity to have less food turn to rot.

-His damage reduction makes most fight a bit longer wich i really appreciate because i like base building as much as fighting. I want both of them to be balance.  So i want to pass 50% of my time on both and thats what his damage reduction offers me. It gives me the opportunity to change my playstyle every other season.

-His pantomime are great. I love to just spam inspect objects around me like if i was having a seisure. The floating invisible bike animation is my personnal favorite.

-He has alot of nice skin in my opinion and i've been lucky enough to get the survivor and the shadow skins of him as drops. Couldn't ask for any better for the character you main eh?

So this is pretty much everything on my part. I really hope to see others story or comments. Have a nice day :)

hyiltiz    454

DS main: Waxwell, cuz beating Adventure mode felt good (a long long time ago).

Then Wx, cuz just wanted to make tons of food once every season then forget about food situation; after bundling wraps, this perk is no more.

Wicker/Wig/Wormwood when joining server with people: be a team player and help 'em out

My World: anyone is just one gem and one moonstone away...

Charlie Dark    3455

None :( I have played every character and eventually got bored of all of them, now I'm just using a character mod, it's not just some random character, it's a character that is within the constant but not playable (edit) the only character I'd main in singleplayer would be warbucks.. Oh wait

Pop Guy    3608

I choose Wendy because Abigail punches and I kill from afar. We are a nice duet, we are like Mario & Luigi.

ArubaroBeefalo    2573

i choose wilson but i try to play every character until i die o get tired of that world. I like wilson because its the "default" playstyle and difficult but i think what i like the most its wigfrid for her quotes and how crazy she is

Ogrecakes    2657

Wicker, I like her sometimes snooty attitude and I LOVE her first science tier perk.

Wish her books were more interesting and less op

MrNaxeros    504

This pool feels fake. Suddenly most people main Wendy? Yeah right... now when she's getting a rework. I mained her before she was cool. >:(

Anyway... I like Wendy for her character. How she just compares everything to death in a sort of poetic way. Also, she kinda gives me these edgelord vibes that I kinda like, but don't want to commit to it in the typical fashion (look Reaper from Overwatch). I dunno, I just find it fun to be a creepy haunted girl.

EDIT: All Wolfgang mains, fear my necromantic powers! Muhahahhahahhah :D

Pixil    859

Although I end up getting bored and end up switching characters after Celestial Portal, a majority of my gameplay has been as Woodie :D
I used to play Woodie before his rework and enjoyed becoming beaver to explore the caves and after finding the ruins, turning back to Woodie via banana trees, and then fixing the sanity issue with pinecones.
However, after the rework I can rush ruins with the goose and not have to bring any weapons because of the moose, all I really have to worry about is food and healing, and since pinecones are only for planting and not for sanity, I burn them to make healing salves. Most of my Woodie bases have spiders a hop, skip, and a jump away so I can mass produce glands and meat for transformations. Although I am only applying Woodie to the ruins, I enjoy his beaver for stripmining rock biomes more effectively than the previous Woodie and freely gnawing trees without a care in the world.
I'm nearly finished, but Woodie's full moon random transformation is only looked at as a free transformation for me, and I usually end up heading to a corner of the world's spider forest (If you end up having a big one.) By doing this, after transforming I can fight spiders as moose, chop trees as beaver (and also fight if I'm feeling confident,) and explore the map as goose, hopefully finding the lunar island.

TL;DR - Woodie is a Lumberjack of all trades and is useful in any situation when given three to nine pieces of monster meat, depending on the situation. Woodie players don't even have to use their transformations if they don't need to, yet that aspect of Woodie is highly used in my gameplay :D

Willow, coz I like her attitude, one of the most thought-out personalities in the game for me. And coz I like to torture myself, constantly struggling not to lose control and switch to Wigfrid.

Terra M Welch    3982

Uhyup, I'm a wendy main.

I find abigail useful for mass farming small enemies like spiders and bees, spiders for monster meat, silk and glands, bees for free honey. I've also found abigail to be very useful for shadow splumonkies, her AOE and constant night damage in the caves(40/hit) I feel makes it easier for me to clear out the splumonkey areas of ruins.

As for the lower damage I actually don't mind that, if anything it's more time in a fight spent practicing individual enemy kiting patterns, the kiting is one of my favorite parts of the combat in this game.

Also Wendy was my first character to achieve 100% skin completion on(Guest of honor wasn't as expensive when I bought it! Curse you inflation screwing over other wendy mains! At least the rework gives wendy mains another option!).

Seafood Dinner    108

Ever since Hook, Line and Inker released, all I've ever played was Woodie. I just rush all the materials for a boat along with other necessities and spend most of the entire game at sea. I've also found the goose form to be very helpful for running back to my boat in case I forget to bring an amulet with me.

ShadowDuelist    5702

Woodie.

I LOVE his new transformations and learned to use them most of the time, for many purposes. Also Human Woodie main con, getting treeguards more often, is actually a big blessing since treeguards not only provide me living logs (so I can use dark swords at will when in human form) but also, leaving treeguards alive in certain places work as a great way to kill other mobs. Treeguards are fantastic tanks and keeping them around is always worth it.

Maxwell was my first main, and depending on what his rework gives, I may come back to him or not. Honestly I enjoy Woodie's design so much that I doubt that I will, but we'll see.

PrezPara    126

Wurt.

I always loved the feel of building your own army and using them to fight bosses. Webber didn't do it for me because his spiders were just too weak and you couldn't really use them to kill any bosses, at least with my experience.

Plus, the vegetables only is a fun challenge.

GetNerfedOn    5259

Here's an interesting observation I've had:

Spoiler

Much like the previous 2 polls I have held regarding this matter, this poll will be and has already been subject to "Character-Refresh/Release Bias" wherein a character who is currently being refreshed/newly released gets a high amount of votes as a result. Wendy, who holds the majority is a case in point here.

Here's the first poll in question:

wherein Wortox got the second-highest votes because of the poll's release coinciding with announcements of his release.

Next came this poll, which, while being less of an example because it was released quite after the release of Wurt, still is interesting to note:

wherein reworked Woodie got a very high score compared to his previously low ratings after being reworked.

Of course, exceptions abound like Willow, Wormwood, Warly and Wurt consistently having mediocre scores despite being released/reworked, and Maxwell consistently remaining one of the most played/beloved characters.

A point i would make would be to make Character Rating polls in times where they aren't being reworked to see if said "rework/release bias" does or does not take effect, because people will get caught up in the excitement of the new release/reworks to notice flaws in their characters.

Anyhow, in any thread like this that pops up:

I main Wickerbottom because i like supporting others with her abilities.

I used to main wendy, but she triggers my self-pity, so i quit maining her despite having my highest shipwrecked day count with her, at day 278. 

MrLJensen    40

I have mained Wendy and Woodie (post rework), but I always come back to Maxwell. The fast basebuilding and easy sanity management is appealing to me, and I like the challenge of reduced HP. But i absolutely love the design and personality of Wendy, so I'm hopeful for the coming rework. :)  

Warlockadamm    3175
3 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:

~Snip

Ye my bad for that... didn't even think about that... adding the pole was more of a last minute decision... you are absolutely right that such a pole would be more truthful in a time period where theres not a rework...

Mrklli    1040

I play every character but Warly's my favorite so I guess I could say I main him? I tried to click him on the poll but I failed miserably and hit Wurt instead... Sorry Wurt! I like Warly because his personality appeals to me and I think cooking in dst is too simple otherwise. There's this whole harsh wilderness where a bunch of people is trying their best to somehow scrape together enough edible stuff so they won't starve and can survive all the other hardships in their miserable life and then there's Warly going all I DON'T WANNA EAT THIS IT'S NOT GOOD GIVE ME SOMETHING ELSE. It's funny. Before Warly I liked to use the eat your veggies -mod to make all characters picky eaters, pretty similar to how Warly is now, but not all the people I play with liked it so it was quite rare for me to use it. Now that I have Warly I can do whatever I want without bothering anybody else and on top of that I get a polite French food snob personality! I don't really focus on spices or the new Warly-exclusive foods. Sure, I use them, but I just mainly like to have a little bit of pressure to plan my diet more and not to eat only meatballs all the time. I like how chill it is to go on a longer trips as Warly. I hate cooking large quantities of food at a time as a preparation for some major things, like boss fights. It's much nicer to just grab my pot + some ingredients and then be ready to go.

GetNerfedOn    5259
14 minutes ago, Warlockadamm said:

Ye my bad for that... didn't even think about that... adding the pole was more of a last minute decision... you are absolutely right that such a pole would be more truthful in a time period where theres not a rework...

That's okay :) we all learn from our mistakes. Plus the poll's results are still valid in the sense that people still answered freely and of their own will.

higor12101    20

i love willow she cool she nice she has a cute bear and ligther which help me out a lot and i simple always like her since the first time i saw her

Mike23Ua    5152

Wendy, Her Quotes.. and because Summoned helpful ghost from flower that allows easy farming of Spiders and Bee Hives.