thistownneedsguns

what about two playable versions of a character?

Viktor234    3425
2 minutes ago, thistownneedsguns said:

hello,

is this any possible??

if i wanna play the old wendy, so i can choose it and next time i play the refreshed wendy.. any way to do it or klei having it implemented?

In that case you can use mods, if somebody attempts to make a mod for that.

• Thanks 1

bruhmoment23    4209

No. The only place where you can play as pre-refreshed characters is the normal solo Don't Starve. Or mods if someone decides to make one.

Edited by bruhmoment23
  • Thanks 3

PrezPara    83

I don't really see a reason you should so far, as the rework looks like it's improve what Wendy already has and doesn't seem to nerf her in any way

You could always play Don't Starve and not Don't Starve Together if you really want, but mods are the only thing that would let you play old Wendy in dst

• Confused 1

Mike23Ua    4227

There is a simple solution to this- You can host servers as Classic or Together. 

If you choose Classic then Together exclusive stuff such as a Firefly having her own Biome or Bee Queens Hive Nest won’t even spawn in your game.

There is literally no reason why there couldn’t be a Classic Wes & Together Wes option.

I don’t campaign hard for a “Way of The Wes” toggle for Nothing.. Wes was a challenge mode character in Single Player Don’t Starve and in order to even unlock and play as him you had to learn quite a bit of game knowledge to even get to that point in the game.

In DST, Wes is unlocked from the very beginning without the player having to jump through any learning hoops to play as him, the results:

You have people who pick to play Wes because they’re experts at the game and want to be challenged by playing Wes, and THEN you have New & under-experienced DST players who simply see a “Cool Looking Mime” To select in their character menu.. They are going to have a really REALLY bad time.

So the question is: How do you Refresh Wes without changing him drastically from the Wes those Hardcore people who Main him daily love but at the same exact time make him more accessible to people playing as him for possibly their first time ever?

This whole Situation would be understandable- IF it required players to achieve a certain in-game task to even unlock Wes.. like in Solo DS.

Then Wes could’ve been the Hardcore, Totally Uncompromising, “You picked to play as A Mime So you deserve to be brutally punished.” Extreme character that the VETERAN DST players want him to be.

• Confused 11

MrNaxeros    504
2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

-snip-

What if someone would want to play as old character but still wanted the DST content?

Either way I doubt Klei would do that as it would confuse new players. Just imagine, A new player joins a random standard server and chooses Winona. Cool they think, they can make a light or catapults to defend from hounds. Then they join a classic server and suddenly they can't do jack manure... except making some tape. And then they realise that half of the characters have two entirely different mechanics while the other half plays the same in both modes.

Some offtopic here: I unlocked Wes back in the beta days of DS. :)
I never dared to play him since I sucked and now when I tried him in DST I didn't enjoy him. Not because he was hard but because I had to constantly eat to satisfy that black hole of a mime.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

meepmoop    216
5 hours ago, bruhmoment23 said:

No. The only place where you can play as pre-refreshed characters is the normal solo Don't Starve. Or mods if someone decides to make one.

this is why I dont want wilson to ever get reworked.

• Like 2

Mike23Ua    4227
16 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

this is why I dont want wilson to ever get reworked.

Wait why?? The only thing dude has going for him currently is his hermit like beard growth ability.

I strongly STRONGLY feel like every Character Refresh needs to first start by looking at their already existing Klei Artwork from Vignettes, Loading Screens, Portrait Frames, Etc..... 

The reason why is because this is the direction Klei originally had in mind when drawing those photos- This is how They (Klei) Portray and see their own characters as... So a good starting point as to what should be included in a character Rework, should be hugely based off of what already exists within Klei Official drawings and Animations.

Because Unless they “Warbucks” Portrait Frames, Loading Screens, Klei Official Arts and already existing content based on those characters- That Stuff will forever and always be part of who they Are.

Sunset Skye    8172
5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

There is a simple solution to this- You can host servers as Classic or Together. 

If you choose Classic then Together exclusive stuff such as a Firefly having her own Biome or Bee Queens Hive Nest won’t even spawn in your game.

Are you proposing some kind of new option, or are you talking about the "no giants here" preset? If the latter, that's not how it works at all, the gigantic bee hive and moon stone and clockwork statues and DST water and the meteor fields and etc etc etc all still spawn. Also, since it mostly just messes with world settings, you don't get stuff like lureplants at all since there's no spring for them to spawn in, even though they would normally spawn in summer in vanilla.

• Like 2

Ogrecakes    2103

I'd love some classic versions of characters to be made available.

Woodie had like 5 different variations, would love to go back and dig through their files...

• Haha 1

Mike23Ua    4227
3 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Are you proposing some kind of new option, or are you talking about the "no giants here" preset? If the latter, that's not how it works at all, the gigantic bee hive and moon stone and clockwork statues and DST water and the meteor fields and etc etc etc all still spawn. Also, since it mostly just messes with world settings, you don't get stuff like lureplants at all since there's no spring for them to spawn in, even though they would normally spawn in summer in vanilla.

Yes, a new game option, DS Classic, and DS Together.

And hopefully they’ll add a way for me to continue worlds I started Online in offline mode when Xbox continues to have freaking XBL service outages. Grrr.

Lbphero    1261
46 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

I'd love some classic versions of characters to be made available.

Woodie had like 5 different variations, would love to go back and dig through their files...

5 different variations?

• Haha 2

CaptainChaotica    5112

...wait WHAT?

Anyway as someone who (now) uses mods, I used to use a mod all the time for Willow that put her back to her old self (in fact, pre-refresh DST Willow was the original reason I started even considering using mods at all!), until her refresh made her still differentish but not in a sucky way anymore.  Now I kinda want a (back-to-singleplayer) mod for Woodie, since his were-ness and curseness seem to be GONE and he's just like, the _silly_ character.

I do very much agree on the idea that some characters SHOULD be only unlockable over time, though.  If not beating at least chapter 3 of Adventure Mode (which is freaking EVIL), then at least unlocking the more "advanced" characters through just normal play experience.  There really are WAY too many people who pick characters just because they "look cool" and either don't read the description, or think it's just there for decoration and doesn't _mean_ anything...

Yeah, I'm not sure how this would work in Together, exactly, but while I'm not a "OOOH, NEWBS.  ICK." type elitist...I _would_ like to see slightly less constant death on public servers.  Don't play the challenge character who has a _harder_ version of all the game's mechanics before you even know what the game's mechanics ARE.  Do you have any idea how many smart, adult new players to the game think the brain symbol means _intelligence_?  ("Why does jumping in the wormhole make me DUMBER?")  Or don't know about spacebar until the commenters tell them?

Anyway.

(EDIT:  PSST In addition to the old character-picking menu (pre-Forge, again, the singleplayer one) I also still miss the cardboard-cut-out water.  It was so distinctive and so old-fashioned-stage-play-esque!  :()

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica

Charlie Dark    2702
On 3/17/2020 at 6:06 PM, thistownneedsguns said:

hello,

is this any possible??

if i wanna play the old wendy, so i can choose it and next time i play the refreshed wendy.. any way to do it or klei having it implemented?

trust me..YOU DON'T WANT the old Wendy. Abigail can ruin everything in seconds! this time she will be commandable at least as they mentioned... I still have nightmares from that bearger encounter. I had built a nice firepit, My friend who was playing as Wendy, well Abigail aggroed the bearger, he did the smash-attack and me and the fire pit were both gone, plus it was night as well!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1