Lbphero

don't expect the world from wendy's animated short

7Meias    245
6 hours ago, Bird Up said:

I haven't been let down by a single animated short.

I also agree with that. Not everything needs to be mindblowing, even long books and movies have laidback moments.
I really enjoyed all the shorts so far, I'm sure what Klei won't disappoint us. And for the matter, even tho they said there will be lore, they are known for never revealing too much, which has a reason of course. Theorizing and making headcanons are both very big parts of the game itself and its community, if they just laid out the whole plan these wouldnt really need to exist anymore.

So, naturally, I'm also not expecting every single aspect of Wendy's role to be brought up. I think there will be either a single, huge keypoint revealed (like the "Final Act" short ) or a brief look into her backstory (Willow's and Warly's for example). Maybe we'll see how she was brought in, maybe it'll be her already in the constant, mouring in a graveyard, remembering the good times in her house. I do hope we get to see Jack, though, and maybe a reference to maxwell as well (either on a bunch of letters over the table or an actual picture of the whole family together )

• Like 4

ArubaroBeefalo    1676
16 hours ago, Soulor said:

I wouldn't be suprised if they don't show what Abigail looks like.

well, they are twins so, basically a wendy with the flower in the other side xD

• Thanks 1

CaptainChaotica    5115

Wendy's Guest of Honour portrait shows her looking sadly...into a broken MIRROR.

Yep.

...if THAT isn't symbolic as all hell, I don't know what is.

I've always drawn/portrayed Abigail as Wendy but with the flower on the other side, and all pale and ghostly, if humanoid.  Including in Sims 3, where you can make ghost characters from the get-go:

Spoiler

simwendyandabigail.thumb.png.38cbed1023da38c1706ca6c2757972ef.png

(what gets me is how _happy_ they both seem here, lol.)

Anyway while I was never expecting "the world" from Wendy's short, pleasepleasePLEASE not something as utterly carking _useless_ and silly and tone-breaking as Woodie's short again.  Please?  I mean, even the art style looked cutesier than usual!  Also, the rework itself.  I don't know about you, but I never _wanted_ happy multi-shapeshifter WoW-Druid-style Woodie.  I just wanted a slightly less BROKEN Werebeaver

(Wurt?  Wurt's new.  People HAVEN'T had really obvious, major questions about her background since 2013.  (aka WHAT THE BEEP IS THE DEAL WITH LUCY?!!)  I'm okay with her short being how it is, 'cos all we really know about her so far is she's an intelligent Merm you can play as.)

Obviously they're not gonna do blood and guts in a Don't Starve short, but at least symbolically shadow-hint at SOMEthing...

...Notorious

• Like 2

Sunset Skye    8190
On 3/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, thomas4846 said:

bruh idc honestly i've beeen maining ( or enjoying the character ) my little deppresso expresso since it was legal for me to be with her so any type of lore or anything in general makes me happi

"Since it was legal for me to be with her" is quite possibly the creepiest way you could say that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

MrNaxeros    504

Currently I expect a video where Wendy interacts with these newly introduced ghosties and Abi would just mess around.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Mike23Ua    4328
23 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

That'd be actualy awful.

There's no character backstory or anything new in that idea. That's just showcasing Wendy's new content. Just like Woodie's short which was heavily criticized by the community.

Woodie’s Short showcases that even with 3 powerful forms he gets his butt handed to him because he’s too weak, it’s only when Lucy is back in his hands again that he feels strong enough to conquer the Tree Guardian that is pummeling him to a pulp.

I mean honestly wtf are y’all expecting? A 2 hour movie detailing who these people are, and how they each got pulled into the Constant?

Willows Short only showcases how she is terrorized by real world Nightmare Creatures and then manages to blow up and walk out of a burning Orphanage at a young age Immune to Fire.. it DOES NOT tell how she drastically changed in Age between that time and how she actually ended up sucked in.

Wurts Short Showcases a young Merm sitting in a Swamp looking at a children’s story book and ripping pictures of pigs out of it because she’s been taught to hate them.

Winona’s short only shows that she is working in a factory before her boss gets sucked into a portal, Winona fixes it and see’s her Sister in the portal before her Sister wigs out to her Nightmare form and yanks her in the entire factory then explodes so no one ever recovers Winona or her boss.

Wormwoods Short shows him being born from a Green Gem inside of a Hamlet Biome and around “Fox-Like” Animal mobs that don’t exist at all in DST at the time of me writing this. It DOES NOT Explain how he got from Hamlet to the DST world.

Warlys Short only showcases that his Mamanan only remembers who he is when she eats one of the meals he prepares, and then he walks out of the kitchen and disappears, it does not show him being pulled anywhere... he doesn’t get yanked into the Constant in his short Like with Winona or Wilson he simply disappears, which could mean Mamanan already forgot him as soon as he walks away..

In short- NONE Of These animated short videos have revealed significant amounts of game lore, they’ve all just been pretty illustrated and animated scenes that the Dev’s have created for us to sit back and Enjoy.

And I don’t expect that to suddenly drastically change with Wendy.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Confused 5

Mike23Ua    4328
1 minute ago, Canis said:

inb4 Wendy follows a pipspook into a swamp where Abigail proceeds to get slapped by a tentacle, but heehoo Abigail strong now and Abigail win

Nooo Abigail get away from that swamp tentacle! Sit, Stay... good girl!

To be honest- As a Wendy main I’m not sure what part of her Refresh to be most excited about, Pipspook & Ectoherbology, or simply just being able to have Abigail follow me without lagging miles behind off screen & randomly attacking Swamp Tentacle.

• Like 3

Mike23Ua    4328
22 minutes ago, MrNaxeros said:

Well, the Woodie video gave me those expectations. It wasn't my favourite because, like for all of you, didn't introduce any lore and just presented his transformations. I hope there would some lore with this refresh. Either how Abi died, Wendy got into the Constant or at least how Wendy managed to summon Abi in the first place.

EDIT:

I think that people would prefer stories from before the characters were put into Constant. See what their lives used to be. How were they holding up? Did they have someone important in their lives?

Every refresh video covered something from the characters past except for Woodie.

Okay well if Willow is being chased by Terrorbeak & is Immune to fire, is it safe to assume that everything we see in her Short is actually taking place already inside the Constant?

I’m a writer myself.. so I criticize EVERYTHING.

MrNaxeros    504
4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Okay well if Willow is being chased by Terrorbeak & is Immune to fire, is it safe to assume that everything we see in her Short is actually taking place already inside the Constant?

I’m a writer myself.. so I criticize EVERYTHING.

Well it looks like it's from before the Constant given the Orphanage (we both know the Constant outside of Hamlet has an allergy for buildings) and Willow being a child.
The shadows can exist in the normal world which is how Wilson, Maxwell and Charlie were taken into the Costant. Also, Willow is immune to fire in singleplayer DS which happens before DST, so I guess we can assume that Willow had a moment of weakness before the rework happened. :)

I have feeling we are getting dangerously close to the offtopic section so I'm gonna throw in something ontopic:
I got a sneak peak on the Wendy refresh video and you won't believe it. There's Wendy and Abigail! :shock:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Charlie Dark    2876
1 hour ago, Dragonboooorn said:

After Woodie rework, I simply don`t trust Klei anymore. They promise us lore and story, but we got Woody Woodpecker... ( L I T E R A L LY )

image.thumb.png.ad96de78ef44aa77ec8edbeb7ef23e18.png

"Over the course of the next year, we will be bestowing every character with revamped abilitles, and give a glimpse into their backstory."  - They said. Yeah, previus characters got some kind a lore, but what about Woodie? Is he a just some stupid Canadian joke to you?

woodie!? of course not! I love woodie he has that axe and yeah he is cool.. (even though maxwell is way better at wood farming. and resource gathering in general), but yeah that animation short didn't tell us anything about his backstory 

ShadowDuelist    5144

I liked Woodie's animation, I think nobody would have complained if the short was just 20 seconds longer, and had brief flashbacks during the fight of past events showing sparkles of lore that related to his current situation.

I think the devs already know this by now, and they can showcase the new skills if they "at least" add 10 seconds of lore friendly content

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

minespatch    71166

But to show off new abilities, couldn't we get some information about the idols to begin with? Maybe just another short for Woodie explaining the origin of them or at least a comic like the Valenwes one?

• Thanks 1

Mike23Ua    4328
9 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

image.thumb.png.ad96de78ef44aa77ec8edbeb7ef23e18.png

Our goals here are to make each character unique, Interesting & Valuable in their own right.

And we expect this to be GAME CHANGING IN MANY WAYS.

...... I’m Pretty sure Woodie’s Rework nailed the Unique, Interesting and valuable & Game Changing parts of Klei’s promise.

So if he got a new animated short with a few seconds of lore would people instantly love Rework Woodie?

• Like 2

Dragonboooorn    200
57 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So if he got a new animated short with a few seconds of lore would people instantly love Rework Woodie?

No. Making an animation with a few seconds of Woodies lore wont save the situation and seems silly. Klei promise lore or at least a hint to history, but they didnt do it. Who is Lucy, why Woodie is cursed, is Woodie a killer or a expirement victom, who knows. Perhaps one beatiful day Klei will fix that issue.

Edited by Dragonboooorn
  • Like 1

Sunset Skye    8190

The use of the word "promise" in these discussions always bothers me a lot. Klei posted a roadmap with their plans, those plans changed (we aren't getting a rework every month either,) and those plans keep changing. Klei didn't give some sort of "promise" that every character would get deep lore, they just stated what their current plans were back in January of 2019.

• Thanks 4