lakhnish

How Do I Keep a Tamed Beefalo Tamed?

Recommended Posts

sovon9    54

I don't know it's supposed to happen like that but it happened to me also. I left my beeflow near salt licks and upon mouse over using mod I found that their hunger is in 0 though it's near salt lick.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
luv    65

First off, big fan, on to the topic, I just rewatched the vid in YT for domestication (which I swore was yours) and from what you wrote you should've been golden. Only two possibilities: 

1. Time passed between restock of salt licks, as in the beefalo was not fed or with a salt lick for some time.

2. Bug

Edited by luv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlie Dark    2606

Well, you should always keep it's obedience at a good "rate", brush it one or two times per day (I suggest you get a brush if you don't already, it's very helpful at times), feed it until it reaches 300 hunger (don't overfeed it) and yeah, you should invest into more salt licks if you wanna park it somewhere for a while. Plus what type of beefalo did you have? ornery? rider? default? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lakhnish    1652
1 hour ago, Charlie Dark said:

Plus what type of beefalo did you have? ornery? rider? default? 

It was a rider beefalo.

We looked back at the vods and this is this what happened, which makes it weirder.

On Day 1453, my friend leaves the tamed beefalo at a bunch of Salt Licks after doing some statue work with it.

Next stream starts on day 1477 (I was probably on during those 20-ish days, most likely doing work in the caves, so beef would still be unloaded)

By Day 1523, my friend sees that the beefalo is untamed. Its the first visit to beefalo since stream began (it was unloaded the whole time).

So yea, idk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrNaxeros    503

Salt licks only stop domestication decay. If you did nothing with your beef throughout this time, then all these moments where it wasn't fed with salt lick stacked up and the beef became wild again.

1 hour ago, Charlie Dark said:

Well, you should always keep it's obedience at a good "rate", brush it one or two times per day (I suggest you get a brush if you don't already, it's very helpful at times), feed it until it reaches 300 hunger (don't overfeed it) and yeah, you should invest into more salt licks if you wanna park it somewhere for a while. Plus what type of beefalo did you have? ornery? rider? default? 

You only get benefits of brushing the beef once per day. Doing more than that is wasting your brush' durability.
Having it constantly fed is a huge strain on time and resources. Feed it only when taking it for a ride. The domestication will rise when being over 0 hunger OR when riding.
I always kept my beef near 4 salt licks and it was fine whenever I made some longer journeys to caves. I always used it at least once per 25 days or so.

My guess is that even when unloaded, the beefalo still updates it's domestication. I highly suggest getting some mod showing Beefalo info, such as Beefalo information, Beefalo widget or just an universal Show Me (Origin).

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlie Dark    2606
14 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

It was a rider beefalo.

We looked back at the vods and this is this what happened, which makes it weirder.

On Day 1453, my friend leaves the tamed beefalo at a bunch of Salt Licks after doing some statue work with it.

Next stream starts on day 1477 (I was probably on during those 20-ish days, most likely doing work in the caves, so beef would still be unloaded)

By Day 1523, my friend sees that the beefalo is untamed. Its the first visit to beefalo since stream began (it was unloaded the whole time).

So yea, idk.

I'm pretty sure that salt licks last for 15 days each? and nearby beefalo, koelafants etc can eat from them as well

Edited by Charlie Dark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fimmatek    4039
11 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

We looked back at the vods and this is this what happened, which makes it weirder. [...]

Looking at the salt licks, it seems that your beefalo used up 3 (enough for 45 days), but the rest remained. So I guess around day 1500 it got disconnected from the salt somehow. Could it have been someone on your server maybe? Or I suppose it's a bug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vultureneck    80

It seems to be a fairly common problem whatever the case, first time I tried fighting toadstool I came up only to find a feral beefalo waiting for me on the surface, one that was used regularly on top of that. I've heard someone say that if a beefalo too far from a salt lick it forgets it's there and won't go back to it, also since the domestication points you lose ramp up the longer it's been since the beefalo has been fed and the salt lick doesn't reset this value it doesn't take long for it to lose all the work you put into it. 

Until someone finds an actual fix for this the only thing for it is to check up on it every now and then. Or you know, if you use mods I'm pretty sure they have one for that too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NoscopeFelix    2713

A thing that is really weird . I have two beefalo pens. One at my main base and one at another one. They mostly stay at the main one and that’s where they got domesticated. If I bring them to the pen at my second base they slowly undomesticate(I can tell by them running way slower). I have no idea , but only the pen at main base seems to keep mine domesticated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    9055
26 minutes ago, Vultureneck said:

It seems to be a fairly common problem whatever the case, first time I tried fighting toadstool I came up only to find a feral beefalo waiting for me on the surface, one that was used regularly on top of that. I've heard someone say that if a beefalo too far from a salt lick it forgets it's there and won't go back to it, also since the domestication points you lose ramp up the longer it's been since the beefalo has been fed and the salt lick doesn't reset this value it doesn't take long for it to lose all the work you put into it. 

Until someone finds an actual fix for this the only thing for it is to check up on it every now and then. Or you know, if you use mods I'm pretty sure they have one for that too.

 

6 minutes ago, NoscopeFelix said:

A thing that is really weird . I have two beefalo pens. One at my main base and one at another one. They mostly stay at the main one and that’s where they got domesticated. If I bring them to the pen at my second base they slowly undomesticate(I can tell by them running way slower). I have no idea , but only the pen at main base seems to keep mine domesticated.

Well, I think you both just confirmed the issue. It sounds like salt licks aren't working properly when unloaded.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NoscopeFelix    2713
49 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

 

Well, I think you both just confirmed the issue. It sounds like salt licks aren't working properly when unloaded.

Might wana report that to the bug tracker then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csc_unit    1257

So I haven't seen the complete answer yet. And there is no bug.

Salt licks do not act on the hunger of the beefalo. It keeps the obedience up. Which is not the same stat as the domestication. Domestication goes down if the obedience goes down and with the lack of interaction with him. You need both to keep domestication. When I say interaction, it can be either riding him for a couple of seconds (I think it depends on the type of boof) or feeding him something. There is a rate at which the boof loses domestication over time that looks like ex: -0.254%/10sec. After 3 days it might be at around -0.350%/10sec ; something like this. At this rate, it starts to shows on your domestication. Basically, a domesticated beefalo is always at 0 hunger and it is ok; to reset the countdown is important. If I don't use them for a while, I must think to go by every 3 days or so and feed them a twig; only one twig is enough to reset the countdown, so at this exact moment the rate is -0.000%/10sec.

With this habit, you don't need to worry. Hope it helps

 

Edited by csc_unit
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fimmatek    4039
10 hours ago, csc_unit said:

Salt licks do not act on the hunger of the beefalo. It keeps the obedience up. Which is not the same stat as the domestication. Domestication goes down if the obedience goes down and with the lack of interaction with him. You need both to keep domestication. [...]

Doesn't salt lick prevents the beefalo's domestication from decreasing (and not its obedience)? In fact, there is a minimum obedience if it's fully domesticated, so you can ride them without having to increase it (except for the ornery where this minimum is just under the level of accepting a rider).

As I understand you don't need to interact with the beefalo to prevent losing domestication points if there is a salt lick nearby, because that's the very reason this structure exists.

If I understood your post correctly, you mean that feeding the beefalo with one twig every 3 days is enough to keep it domesticated even without salt licks?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csc_unit    1257

@fimmatek Yes. Sorry, forget about what I said on the obedience stat. This stat is not relevant when fully domesticated. I did not double-check myself on that part. oops. I assumed the salt lick was keeping the obedience up and obedience going down meant also domestication going down. It seems like the salt lick keeps the domestication fairly stable but does not fully prevent it to go down. You need the salt lick around (sorry if it wasn't clear in the first post) and you need, as I said, to feed him a twig every couple days. 

The wiki is wrong sorry.

How do I know that? Well, I'm a genius   "cough cough"  Hell no, I just use a mod that shows me all the stats which include that rate(-x%/10sec) I talked before. 

100% true. get the mod. It is called "Beefalo information"

Edited by csc_unit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lakhnish    1652
19 hours ago, csc_unit said:

You're welcome

Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 8.09.39 PM.png

It says the word pause though, which is in-line that the domestication decay pauses when next to a saltlick (or is asleep).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
csc_unit    1257

it always says pause, even when far away from salt lick. 

The rate at which domestication diminish keeps growing with time going by.

My habit of resetting the rate to zero every couple days keep the domestication from falling. 

I'm not the most knowledgeable user around here, but I know my boofs are not turning wild ever soon. 

And I'm not defending this further; this is ridiculous. Do your testing if you have the time. 

Edited by csc_unit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrNaxeros    503

Salt lick STOPS domestication decay and this is the only thing it does. While the domestication doesn't drop, the domestication decay rate still increases, so you might have a beef that you don't touch at all and just have it crammed near twenty salt licks. It'll be fine there, but the moment you take it somewhere else without feeding or actively riding it will kickstart that domestication decay right away. This is also the case when the salt licks run out.

The only way to get domestication is riding the beef, having it's hunger above 0 or brushing it once a day.

So basically, to have a loyal beef you need to:
- Keep it close to salt licks to stop domestication decay;
- Feed or ride it briefly after long periods of time to reset domestication decay rate;
- Feed it a lot or ride it for a longer period of time to regain the domestication that might have been lost in the moments where it wasn't near salt licks, wasn't fed or wasn't being ridden. Alternatively you could brush it if you don't feel like taking it for a ride or using a lot of food.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sovon9    54
4 hours ago, MrNaxeros said:

Alternatively you could brush it if you don't feel like taking it for a ride or using a lot of food.

@MrNaxeros @csc_unit

so, can tame a beef without feeding it 4 pie everyday ? because most of the time I play alone or sometime my brother joins me but feeding it 4 pie everyday is a very tough work. I earlier tried to tame a beef but everyday. I can't feed him 4 pie so i parked him near salt licks and brushed everyday but eventually it became wild again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrNaxeros    503
On 15.03.2020 at 5:51 PM, sovon9 said:

so, can tame a beef without feeding it 4 pie everyday ? because most of the time I play alone or sometime my brother joins me but feeding it 4 pie everyday is a very tough work. I earlier tried to tame a beef but everyday. I can't feed him 4 pie so i parked him near salt licks and brushed everyday but eventually it became wild again.

You cannot tame a beef by just brushing it. at this point it needs to be ridden and/or fed to keep the domestication rising.
Brush is like instant domestication. It is a small value, but it shortens the domestication process by a few days.
When you have fully domesticated beefalo you can just brush it for a few days instead of going for a longer ride or feeding it.

I wouldn't recommend using dragonpies for feeding. It is much more manageable when you use your twig, grass and berry farms. Twigs come in abundance and I often find myself with an excess of them (unless you have twiggy tree world), berries can be used for fistful of jams, especially when you have juicy berries and grass can be used occasionaly but I do not suggest relying on them as there are other more important things that require it.

The last part seems like it shouldn't be possible. If it was near salt licks and you brushed it everyday then there should be no way it would go wild.
My guess is that the beef did not have access to salt lick OR it bugged out and didn't realise there was a salt lick OR someone was taking a beef somewhere else and left it for an extended period of time.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    1844

The whole system needs a redesign from the ground up and it's been demanded for ages.

It makes no sense to have no information or clue being shown about the tame progress without mods.

It's very dumb how you can't get ontop of an agro'd beef when they start hitting frogs and beargers and walruses and whatnot. They'll die 100% of the time and all of your work is gone. This gets trickier with very old worlds because Heat eventually stops syncing with spring.

Taming should be a one-way progress and should never decrease considering how expensive and bothersome it is and how easily a beef can die.

The whole thing takes too much dedication especially when you realize there's nothing a beefalo can do better than other independent items can't (dark sword, amulet/cane, tam) - with the very lame exception of heavy lifting.

Also there's definitely room for more saddles, snacks and perhaps the Koalefant.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrNaxeros    503
3 hours ago, Well-met said:

-snip-

I agree in the most part. There should definitely be some clues on what's the beefalo current domestication. I think simple character quotes would do the trick I think.

Getting on agrroed beef should definitely be a thing. I once lost my awesome rider because it got too close to a horde of frogs. Needless to say I got really annoyed... and probably rollbacked I don't remember.

And the permament domestication... Eh I dunno. I often find a good use for my beef. Often times I take it to smack Moose/Goose. No need bothering with gearing up. I would suggest increasing the durability of salt licks though (and apparently it's buggyness in actualy keeping beefalo tamed).

I like dedicating so much time in taming the beef. Makes you actualy care for the thing. Make a pen for it, spend half an hour killing butterflies for a saddle, taming it for the desired tendency. It just gives you a lot of stuff to do when feel bored and don't want to fight Dragonfly for the 20th time.

Beef can be actualy very useful. Not counting the weightlifting there is the face that the beef is your weapon and armor (for the most part) so you don't need to gear up for fight... or might not have time to gear up in the case of hounds. Wendy and Wes get even bigger advantage of this due to their lower damage.
Rider beef is good at early stage when you get really bad luck with walrus drops or just dont feel like bothering with them.
Pudgy is... is there I guess... Ok this one needs some buffing because I don't see a reason of having a living Tam'o'Shanter that needs to be maintained.
Ornery basicaly turns you into a 1000 hp tank with infinite durability Dark Sword. Just sucks that you need to get the obedience up every time you want to get on it.
Default is the best imo. It's reliable unlike Ornery, doesn't become useless in the late game like Rider and is definitely better than Pudgy.

And yes, I would love to see more accessories for Beefalo taming and oh my god I would kill for the ability to ride a Koalephant.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    1844
1 hour ago, MrNaxeros said:

-snip-

Pudgy just needs a higher sanity value. I agree default with war saddle is my favorite. 50 with no downside isn't so bad.

I think one more tendency would be cool. Something nightmare or moon tainted, I don't know the perks.

I would like beefaloos to have an additional equipment slot with various items to pick from, like the horse shoes or neck plank thing from the gorge beefalo. More customizability.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Charlie Dark    2606

noooo my beefalo went feral! Otis loved me so much! he would run up to me every day he woke up or every time I came back at base.. I should have left him near the salt licks

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now