[Game Update] - 398142

37 minutes ago, Slarti-Bartfast said:

Create a new structure instead of modifying existing ones on game load (like, add a new Automated Liquid Vent instead of changing existing ones)

They did this when they've added the new steam turbine. Older system wasn't in the building list anymore, but those already built remain functionnal in the same way.

I agree with you on this one, they should have let older vents working the same but not buildable anymore, while replacing with new vents/chute in the building list.

8 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Conveyor Rails are now highlighted when the Conveyor View is active.

Yes, but the rails do not appear on top of conveyor buildings. Meaning the rails, now nicely highlighted, are still hidden by conveyor shut offs, loaders, chutes, etc.

Edited by yoakenashi
Spelling
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Slarti-Bartfast said:

This change caused a massive problem in my base.

I'm running a steam plant at 250 deg. C with 150 kg steam per tile. The output of my turbines is a liquid vent in the steam chamber, which is sealed insulated tile. There is an automation wire under the steam vent, that controls an external liquid input. With the game change, now the automation wire causes the vent to be blocked. To un-block it, I have to turn on the exernal liquid input.

Now, to fix this, I'm going to have to crack that high pressure hot steam chamber open. Which means going to great lengths to do that without letting all that hot steam into my base. What heat does escape, I'll have to re-capture later. It's all just a huge pain. I know I could find an alternative that would make this work without having to open the steam chamber -- but that's not the point.

The point is, that's just the first problem I found this change created, and who knows what else in my base is suddenly broken now?

Back when the game was Early Access, such breaking changes are to be expected. Now, they should not happen.

In the future, when making changes like this, I implore you to do one of two things:

1. Create a new structure instead of modifying existing ones on game load (like, add a new Automated Liquid Vent instead of changing existing ones)

2. Or require existing buildings to be destroyed and rebuilt to gain new connections or other potentially behavior-changing properties.

Your consideration is appreciated.

so what you're saying is there's no option to have the liquid vent ignore automation signals?

seems like lazy design

48 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

seems like lazy design

I changed my impacted vent - designs a bit, not really a problem for me, but i am not an automation guru, like others here.
I dunno if an option in vent menue (automated *checkbox*) would make things better.
Perhaps secondary option to build old ones, without automation, would be better for gameplay..

Just now, Artorias36 said:

Yeah it seems they don't.

You need to give modders some time, to fix their stuff for the new live branch updates

Edited by Oozinator

Thanks Klei,

Been playing this game for over two years now, endless fun!

Also please hurry up and make some content that I can pay for... I'm starting to feel bad about all the free updates :)

Robert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

I agree with the previous posters about vents needing an "automated" checkbox.. same situation: now not accessible rooms contain vents that where originally shut off with shutoffs - a lot of the automation for that overlaps now with the vents & makes them either permanently open, closed or dependant on singular sensors instead of the whole logic setup.. basically this update kills my base..

please release a hotfix for this.. it's incredible frustrating to lose a base you invested countless hours in, because of an update..

EDIT: I guess I can use debug mode to fix stuff.. but that will disable achievements & it still feels ****** having to do that in the first place.. I really love you guys - you make great games & you keep updating them - even the new update looks awesome, I'm just incredible frustrated atm.. maybe the next time you update existing stuff in a potentially basebreaking way, do it like Slarti-Bartfast suggested :/ 

Edited by NoizeDaemon
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Ambaire said:

what? why? That was situationally useful for the algae terrarium... sometimes I want it to use up its resources without dupes delivering more.

why ever remove useful functionality

First, thank for everything you make a great game and do a very good job 

Second "Remove Disable Delivery button from algae terrarium" was a very big mistake !
I was so happy to be able to improve terrarium automation and you broke everything!

Duplicant empty terrariumm put a bootle of polluted water on the floor and automated door give water too terrarium. Best way too have oxygen !

I’ll have to wait for a mod to correct your correction...

"Not mine"

You’re doing a great job but for an upgrade that was supposed to improve automaton you removed a tiny little thing that has big consequences.

Edited by SirGardakan
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, NoizeDaemon said:

I agree with the previous posters about vents needing an "automated" checkbox.. same situation: now not accessible rooms contain vents that where originally shut off with shutoffs - a lot of the automation for that overlaps now with the vents & makes them either permanently open, closed or dependant on singular sensors instead of the whole logic setup.. basically this update kills my base..

It was a pain to rework my existing base, but I don´t think every patch should be adapted until it doesn´t break existing systems.

=> Ask yourself the question: If you started with the current patch would you want to undo the changes ?

(For me it´s a clear no.)

Spoiler

PS: I even "enjoy" the forced initiative to rework existing systems.

If I played a earlygame base it will not effect anything and when I play a "lategame" base I like to find a new "goal" to complete.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

It was a pain to rework my existing base, but I don´t think every patch should be adapted until it doesn´t break existing systems.

=> Ask yourself the question: If you started with the current patch would you want to undo the changes ?

Hide contents

I agree. Luckily, out of habit, I don't put automation behind pipes when I can avoid it thus have literally zero changes I need to make due to the added vent automation. But even if I had a complete meltdown, I'd still want to keep the change as is. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, theprophecy said:

It appears that Sweepy's Dock acts like a Storage Bin. By setting the dock to a low prio while other Storage Bins are higher (and not marked Sweep Only), dupes will move items from his Dock to the Storage Bin.

I have an autosweeper empty the dock into an unreachable dispenser to drop the stuff into an infinite storage pit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotEnough said:

Yeah, most mods don't as of now

Not most (maybe most of your used mods). Only mods adding new buildings, or change buildings with automation (or newly added automation like vents) may be borken. I have many mods running just fine. Even some building mods are still running. Others not of course. Its up to the mod-authors to patch the mods against the new system. And, as always. there will be some mods that will never be updated again, because the modder is already gone.

• Like 1

The new OR gate works for me (because I know the old German/DIN logic symbols), but I think the shape is not distinctive enough for most people that only know the (non-square) IEC symbols. Input needs to be more strongly curved and output needs to be recognizably pointy. 

The approach is the right one though, I think.

For reference, German/DIN:

or_de.jpg.768073e297b5cc645376b6bdb68a587d.jpg     and_de.jpg.093c6d8f527c546e7666ff78533f1cdd.jpg

IEC non-square:

iec.jpg.fd312e1d50fa4c110418d7439fb5c9ed.jpg

XOR has the same shape issue, but as XAND is extremely rarely used (most people use a "NOT XOR" with a negation point at the output added for the same effect) it is less critical. It should have the same outer shape as the OR though.

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 2

Wattage Sensor

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

/me goes nuts

i asked for this and they finally added it! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edited by sparky4
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Reveal hidden contents

PS: I even "enjoy" the forced initiative to rework existing systems.

If I played a earlygame base it will not effect anything and when I play a "lategame" base I like to find a new "goal" to complete.

"Upgrades" breaking my base was major reason, why most of the game's history I was playing intensionally outdated version. For some changes even debug was not enough to fix. Luckily, now we have mods to smooth out the kinks.

This update broke all my volcano tamers, but fix was just quick "insta build" job.

I seriously don't find the issue for the devs to add or change stuff, my base is from the abysalite ages, i poked a hole on neutronium with dev mode to reach space, i have many obsolete buildings lying around, I even have "bricks" made from cooking ceramic. That base survived the nat gas apocalipse and ****ty world gen with geisers. Keep playing and fixing is better than starting over.

I had to send a dupe to install an automation bridge on top of a liquid vent, that was inside a magma powered steam boiling room. Huge pain to prevent it from spewing steam all over my preserved ice biome, but well worth it XD

Try to build your stuff thinking you will have to send your dupes to fix it some time in the future.

Next is just me ranting, but at least these devs are not like Rimworld's whom decide to release a lackluster and expensive as **** dlc for a game you only keep playing because of mods wich that update completely and utterly breaks (even harmony doesn't work as it used to for **** sake).