Thoughts about upcoming Wendy rework

Since we're getting closer to March, and i've been lacking in forums activity thought i'll make a small post about next upcoming character refresh which is most likely Wendy. Tell me guys what you think should be implemented about her overall kit and attributes she currently has. Personally the biggest issue i see in Wendy is her twin sister Abigail's really suicidal AI, but i'm sure it will be fixed in the upcoming rework. Feel free to say what you think about this topic and Wendy in general.

Yeah I think Wendy doesn't need a very big changes, for sure they will be fixing some Abigail issues. What i would like however is to rise the importance of bond between Wendy and Abigail like maybe give Abigail quotes she will say randomly to Wendy or by inspecting objects she will also say something, and the only one who can understand her (see the quotes at all or see quotes instead of oooh ghost sounds) would be Wendy that would be something interesting. It would fun to ask Abigail to hunt the graves and "wake up" ghosts and convince them (since she's also a ghost she can talk to ghosts) to join Wendy and her. Oh and maybe nice touch would be that Abigail can tell Wendy what other ghosts (character ghosts ) are saying. I don't know, something like that.

I said this in the 2020Roadmap but we might not have to worry about any massive changes for wendy hopefully, since Klei might just mainly focus on upgrading Abigail. Abigail has one of the oldest A.I's in the game being practically identical to the ghost A.I.so like how they treated the merms for Wurts addition to the game they might just rework Abigail's A.I to better suit her "Purpose" to protect Wendy. and just like @bruhmoment23 said. Not have it where Abigail auto targets on every single thing with the tag "Hostile" on it, causing her to go on a suicide mission every single time on some very strong enemy or a huge group of monsters that Wendy doesn't want to fight and then  die or have too much low health and cause Wendy to be alone in a fight or situationshe needs Abigail the most in.

Hello I saw this thread and made an account just to reply to it, I have a few hundred hours across the don't starve games and most of that time was invested in my favorite character, you guess it, Wendy. I thought I would toss my 2 cents in here since I actually didn't know she had an upcoming rework and it will likely have an impact on me since she's basically the only character I play.

I find that Wendy does well in a few things for vanilla, like clearing spiders with her ghost, she can use it to block a few attacks for you while you clear clockworks or even kill other medium health pool creatures like tall birds or pigs, and sometimes is good for an emergency light in the night if you happen to be out a torch or lamp, but that's about as far as her usefulness stems.

Things I'd like to see added to her are a more controllable AI, one of my favorite mods is one that just adds a simple aggressive/passive switch to a single key for her. This makes managing Abby a lot easier meaning you don't waste sanity time or effort having to resummon her and or retrieve her flower because she ran into a tentacle circle in the swamp.

Another change I would like to see is either a powershift to Abby meaning more hp or damage or a way to scale it (perhaps via some magic upgrade) so she's not entirely useless versus bosses or tougher mobs, or 100% normalized damage for Wendy. It often is taxing that you can't kill smaller creatures in a single hit with a boomerang like other characters can. Maybe add on to her lower sanity drain at night passive give her normal or increased damage at night like Abby has or something a long those lines.

Overall I just don't want her to change too much I like Wendy and I like Abby I just think they could be tweaked up a little bit and will probably be happy with whatever she gets.

46 minutes ago, AbbyRework said:

sometimes is good for an emergency light in the night if you happen to be out a torch or lamp

Wait what? Unless you are using some PC Mod this does not happen AT ALL. What Happens is Abigail moves Away from Wendy whenever Wendy gets Close to her (you can However use Other Players Ghosts as a Emergency light Source.. but Defiantly NOT Abigail.)

When she always moves Away from Wendy it also makes it really hard to HEAL Abigail.. Which I Didn’t even know you could DO because She’s always floating AWAY from Me.

Problems with ABIGAIL are this-

1-She lags way behind Wendy and Often times is off the Screen often.

2- She won’t Attack things that are chasing Wendy unless Wendy Kites them back around into her, so she just kinda sits there and watches as Wendy runs for her life.

3- What she does choose to Attack probably poses no threat at all to Wendy and will Instantly Kill Abigail, Such as Swamp Tentacles Or Beefalo Hordes.

4- She moves AWAY From Wendy when you try to get close to her to use her as a Light Source in the Night or more Importantly to HEAL Her.

5- Other Players Ghosts can HAUNT things causing some pretty cool Effects such as Turning Flowers into Evil Flowers or Turning Pigs into Werepigs outside of a Full Moon.. Abigail can’t do any of that.. and she should be the Ultimate Werepig Farming Tool.

And Now we talk about Problems with WENDY.

1-For a little girl who isn’t afraid of the dark, she doesn’t have any interesting unique perks at dark.

2- For a little girl who isn’t afraid of ghosts and enjoys the company of her dead sister’s Ghost she has no real interaction with Both her sister Or Other Ghosts.

3- She’s Really Weak and cant even use Boomerangs to kill creatures with, So her Strength should be Abigail, and if you kite a Rabbit Away from its home towards Abby she’s too dumb to kill it for you.

@Kuba5565‘s Suggestion to allow her to be able to talk to Abigail fits in very well with my own suggestion of “Strength in Numbers” 

This gives Wendy much MUCH more Interaction with Ghosts.. and allows YOU as the Player to be able to craft, hammer down and move Tombstones just like Pig Houses, Merm Huts Or Rabbit Hutches.

But Ultimately... IF Wendy is indeed the next ACTUAL Rework and that’s less than 3 Weeks Away, it is far too late for any of us to Suggest how Wendy should play.

All we can do Now is wait until the Rework is here and then provide feedback on it like with Woodies previous Re-Rework. Fingers Crossed they Don’t mess up my Main! :( 

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

For a little girl who isn’t afraid of the dark, she doesn’t have any interesting unique perks at dark.

I think the sanity not falling down is ok for her. It is pretty unique for a 8-10 year old to not be scared of dark too.(not to mention she can fight scary giants, create advanced sience and magic prototypes, surive in the wilderness, summon ghost and fight on the arena as gladiator)

10 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

All we can do Now is wait until the Rework is here and then provide feedback on it like with Woodies previous Re-Rework. Fingers Crossed they Don’t mess up my Main! :( 

If they mess something up they always can fix/change/add some things like they did to other characters right after their reworks

Wait, I thought that Abby only targets mobs you attempted to attack or attempted to attack you? She won't actually suddenly divebomb someone, only until the "attack" animation/action is inititated. That does mean that tentcales, merms and anything that will almost always do an "attack" animation on you will trigger Abby and pig/bunnymen farms are annoying with her but other than that I don't think she will beeline straight to a frog just because it spawned on the screen.

I think the most reasonable changes she should have are those:

1. remove anything related to Abigail. currently. Abigail AI is problematic to say the least. The whole 'dead sister' vibe it gives totally destroys the game's casual theme. I think we can all agree all wendy's background regarding Abigail should be changed. all here voice lines relating to her removed. and ofc the flower and abilities should be replaced with something more fitting to dont starve.

2. Wendy should gain some sort of cooking ability. As the second most emphasized treat of wendy, I think she needs more mechanics related to cooking. Maybe she can enhance food to give better stats gain (like the +33% warly gains in shipwrecked). Either that or make warly's pot be usable by Wendy as well.

3. I think Wendy should give +sanity aura in a certain radius around her. This will benefit more the group and the other people who play with her. Tone down her grim-ness a little bit, add a smile and make her mouth open. Also, make her benefit from willow's fire sanity gain as she could be a semi-arsonist herself. I was trying to write as much nonsense as I could fit into this comment.

According to the roadmap's description that they will give us more lore, I was thinking that there is a big chance we will find out how did Abigail die, or at very least why are they in the constant. 

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:
12 hours ago, AbbyRework said:

sometimes is good for an emergency light in the night if you happen to be out a torch or lamp

Wait what? Unless you are using some PC Mod this does not happen AT ALL. What Happens is Abigail moves Away from Wendy whenever Wendy gets Close to her

AbbyRework is technically right though, you can, but its just not very efficient.

You have to run in circles towards her and you will eventually bump into her glow, briefly enough to keep charlie away from killing you. It causes you to lose a lot of sanity and you will most likely not be able to advance comfortably in any direction. It requires a bit of practice.

So its more like an absolute last resort emergency thing that you can do, but definately not a comfortable "portable light source" I'd rely on.

9 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

According to the roadmap's description that they will give us more lore, I was thinking that there is a big chance we will find out how did Abigail die, or at very least why are they in the constant.

Agreed! There are alot of gap holes about Abigail and her overall being, it's almost like ,,oh i'm just a spooky ghost, don't mind me!". I'm looking forward to the animated short or a medium paragraph of Wendy and Abigail's lore explaining the bond between them and how it's able to transcend death itself. About how Wendy got into Constant, there could be a chance of Wendy being persuaded by Maxwell. Thanks to her parents owning the corrupted Voxola Radio, after Abigail's death Wendy is left alone and desperate, not knowing what to do, in search for finding a way to bring her sister back she accepts Maxwells offer only to be in same shoes as Wilson. But that's just a small theory.

1 hour ago, Terra M Welch said:

Agreed, this better not end up a fundamental level rework like woodie. But considering all that really needs changing is abby imo, hopefully it won't be so.

Dang, why'd you have to change your profile picture? Now I don't know who you are.....

On 2/24/2020 at 1:49 AM, Kuba5565 said:

What i would like however is to rise the importance of bond between Wendy and Abigail

I like this idea. Maybe Wendy looses sanity slower when Abigail is out (or slightly faster when she's not). Maybe ghosts don't attack her when Abigail is out.

11 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

This..... This put my mind into a fight or flight moment.....

Also:

Wendy:

RopeRope- "That would be the easy way out of this place."

She also has one while examining Firefly Biome lava pool, “I could Jump in and be Done.”

I think she had one once upon a long time ago for the Razor too but Klei must have removed that one..? 

I love Wendy’s Quotes and I hope they don’t change them up TOO Much.. :( 

Archived