Recommended Posts

Mike23Ua    3,064
8 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

@Mike23Ua I think it's time to drop it. This is no longer about the glass cutter and it's now about "winning" an internet argument. Turning this into a discussion about the "meta" doesn't change anything, especially when there's so few options that it's hard not to follow the "meta". You're just trying to deflect criticism by saying that following the "meta" is bad and being "anti-meta" is good.

You presented a suggestion to change the glass cutter from a weapon to a tool, and it was generally disliked. Let's just leave it at that. There's no need to fight tooth and nail defending it.

Incorrect, I didn’t suggest changing it at all, leave it exactly as it is... but give it additional functionality.

Are you really going to complain when I’m suggesting something that would make it MORE Useful?

Even If Glass was a pretty bad example... I’m pretty sure it can still serve SOME additional purpose, just like how the Machete in Shipwrecked can be used to Chop Bamboo & Viney Bushes OR be used as a Weapon.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    8,763
4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Incorrect, I didn’t suggest changing it at all, leave it exactly as it is... but give it additional functionality.

Are you really going to complain when I’m suggesting something that would make it MORE Useful?

Even If Glass was a pretty bad example... I’m pretty sure it can still serve SOME additional purpose, just like how the Machete in Shipwrecked can be used to Chop Bamboo & Viney Bushes OR be used as a Weapon.

Alright. Let me revise my statement then: You presented a suggestion to give the glass cutter a new purpose instead of fixing it's current one, and it was generally disliked. Let's just leave it at that so we can all move on already. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    777

Omg, 2 pages talking about galss cutter in a way that i cant understand

Glass cutter its a cutter made of glass that hurts all kind of shadows. Do you wanna it to be usefull? Stack a lot of swork and go ruins or kill bosses made of shadows

I think its good enough if you use it for what was made

Edited by thetricker1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GenomeSquirrel    645
58 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

Omg, 2 pages talking about galss cutter in a way that i cant understand

Glass cutter its a cutter made of glass that hurts all kind of shadows. Do you wanna it to be usefull? Stack a lot of swork and go ruins or kill bosses made of shadows

I think its good enough if you use it for what was made

Situational durability is not build a think tank, boat kit, steering wheel, mast, anchor then travel all the way to the moon and back good enough.

It's also missing armor compared to its alternatives, and nifty bonuses like life amulet.

Durability would only save resources, but it's a massive time investment, and glass only makes 3 things, so you'll end up spending more time overcompensating too.

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    777
35 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Situational durability is not build a think tank, boat kit, steering wheel, mast, anchor then travel all the way to the moon and back good enough.

It's also missing armor compared to its alternatives, and nifty bonuses like life amulet.

Durability would only save resources, but it's a massive time investment, and glass only makes 3 things, so you'll end up spending more time overcompensating too.

 

its your choice. You can go to the ruins without them but it makes it easier than with dark swords. Time spending its not a big deal when you have everything to survive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunk Mujunk    1,045

On the general idea of fixing the Lunar Isles, i'd have to agree with some of the previous posters that it may be a bit early to consider this.

It's been a while, but when Klei originally announced they were going to add the Lunar Isles and all related content, I translated what they said as "we had the option of introducing everything at once, which would take much much longer to get to the playerbase, or we could introduce it in pieces, which would allow us to provide constant content over a long period of time".

I'm fairly certain what they said was pretty close to that. I don't remember where I got this sentiment, whether it was from a Roadmap or posts in a thread. Honestly I could be making it all up. But i'm sure we have a situation where Klei constructed a framework and will proceed to fill in the blanks.

I can't realistically see Klei giving us what they have given us and thinking it was more or less good as is. It would have been a ridiculous amount of work for basically nothing.

All that being said, I'm not saying discontinue discussions about changes to the Lunar Isles. I just think there were/are already changes/additions coming to DST that would tie everything together.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    8,763
5 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Regardless of that, my opinions on Glass Cutter are basic; a 1.5x longer Nightsword againist shadows with no sanity drain, does what it does perfectly, no need to buff/nerf it.

I feel like a simple hambat can do what the cutter does, but better.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shosuko    945

Wouldn't it be cool if there were an item that gave you lunacy instead of sanity wherever you went?

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sinister_Fang    8,763
51 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Glass Cutter should regenerate durability vs shadows, not just have a reduction.

That could be kinda neat actually. Turning it into a "rechargeable" weapon would make it quite interesting and unique.

10 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Wouldn't it be cool if there were an item that gave you lunacy instead of sanity wherever you went?

That would be pretty neat, but it would be absurdly powerful to have lunacy off the island, especially in the ruins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3,064
4 hours ago, Well-met said:

Glass Cutter should regenerate durability vs shadows, not just have a reduction.

Wouldn’t this just mean you never have to craft another Glass Cutter ever again?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    1,565
7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Wouldn’t this just mean you never have to craft another Glass Cutter ever again?

only if you intend on never using cutters against virtually anything else which is very unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3,064
Just now, Well-met said:

only if you intend on never using cutters against virtually anything else which is very unlikely.

So? Just use it till it’s almost broken, force yourself to go insane and then kill shadows to regenerate its durability.

You still never have to ever craft a new one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well-met    1,565
17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

So? Just use it till it’s almost broken, force yourself to go insane and then kill shadows to regenerate its durability.

You still never have to ever craft a new one.

The repair rate doesn't have to be 1:1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CameoAppearance    1,554
5 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Wouldn't it be cool if there were an item that gave you lunacy instead of sanity wherever you went?

I've seen it argued that Glommer's aura is a lunacy aura rather than a sanity aura, given Glommer's association with the full moon. Although now that I think about it it sounds like you mean actually flipping your sanity meter to a lunacy meter in an arbitrary location, which, yeah, that'd be crazy powerful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Frashaw27    778
20 minutes ago, Canis said:

I feel like replacing regeneration with simply "not draining durability when used vs shadows" would still make it really good, better than now. Then it would have a place as the "nightmare fuel farm" weapon.

It would also help wiyh being dominet in the fuelweaver weapon killer strategy, as it should be imo. The glass cutter is meant to kill shadows so it should be the best at killing any shadow based bosses.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3,064

So you guys Really & Honestly want the Lunar Island to be even MORE of a one and then done trip?

-Sigh- I give up... Good Luck Klei!

I’m sure you guys will come up with something cool to make the Island actually worth going to more then once or twice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    777
12 hours ago, Well-met said:

Glass Cutter should regenerate durability vs shadows, not just have a reduction.

Its made of glass, its fragile but nightmeres has ethereal bodys so the glass doesnt broke like hitting a material body. So for me its perfect

I editted to prevent more people miss understanding me

Edited by thetricker1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3,064
16 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

Its made of glass, its fragile but nightmeres has ethereal bodys so the glass doesnt broke 

This idea sounds good on paper..  but I must ask HOW does making the Glass Cutter Regenerate Durability or have Infinite Durability Versus Shadows help in any way AT ALL in making you want to make repeat trips back to the Lunar Island Biomes?

Wasn’t the entire point of the OP on how to make Fix the Lunar Island so that it’s LESS of a One time trip?

You guys are simply thinking “Make Glass Cutter not suck so much..” but the end result- Only makes it so you go to the Island long enough to build ONE Glass Cutter and then never needing another ever again..

My earlier suggestion of allowing the cutter to also farm some type of brand new resource types that only the cutter can farm fits a whole lot better then a Infinite Durability VS Shadows.

Because THEN you will ATLEAST be making more trips to the Island to craft more Cutters.

Right???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunk Mujunk    1,045

The Glass Cutter, in any form, isn't going to make or break the Lunar Isle. I can't be troubled to make Hambats or Dark Swords, I don't care how good the Glass Cutter could be, thats not gonna be what keeps brings me out there.

The Glass Axe, however, already brings me out there regularly. This is due to my playstyle, I use a lot of logs.

But 1 thing isn't gonna "fix" the Lunar Isles. It might force people to go out there once or twice, but it doesn't make it fun. It just ensures people will bring back as many of the item as possible to avoid having to go back out for as long as possible.

Part of the solution is to leave the current glass harvesting method as it is, its fine, there is nothing wrong with it. Introduce sought after crafts that require glass.

That doesn't "fix" the Lunar Isles, but reworking the Glass Cutter to harvest glass (which im sorry, makes no sense) is a waste of Dev time and resources.

Edited by Dunk Mujunk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Shosuko    945
2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

So you guys Really & Honestly want the Lunar Island to be even MORE of a one and then done trip?

-Sigh- I give up... Good Luck Klei!

I’m sure you guys will come up with something cool to make the Island actually worth going to more then once or twice.

Without putting a boss fight on the island I don't see any reason we need to make it more than a 1 and done trip.  Its not like every other place requires we revisit often.  The only places, besides bosses, that I see myself returning to often are swamp for reeds, desert / oasis for cactus, and that's really it.  I would actually add the lunar island to that list if I were playing Wicker or using the celestial portal as the island is a great place to set up eye plant farms for speedy grass / twigs farming as lunacy makes her books free to read.  Ruins depending on my goals as I often don't bother with ancient crafts.  I kinda prefer hambats and football helmets to thulcite clubs and crowns... but I should probably put a bit more time into duping thulcite and utilizing the stronger gears.

Besides that what I'm looking at is hitting dfly, bee queen, klaus sack, moon stone, and graveyard if I got one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike23Ua    3,064
1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Without putting a boss fight on the island I don't see any reason we need to make it more than a 1 and done trip.  Its not like every other place requires we revisit often.  The only places, besides bosses, that I see myself returning to often are swamp for reeds, desert / oasis for cactus, and that's really it.  I would actually add the lunar island to that list if I were playing Wicker or using the celestial portal as the island is a great place to set up eye plant farms for speedy grass / twigs farming as lunacy makes her books free to read.  Ruins depending on my goals as I often don't bother with ancient crafts.  I kinda prefer hambats and football helmets to thulcite clubs and crowns... but I should probably put a bit more time into duping thulcite and utilizing the stronger gears.

Besides that what I'm looking at is hitting dfly, bee queen, klaus sack, moon stone, and graveyard if I got one.

Would putting a boss on the Lunar Island really make all that much of a difference? I don’t fight any boss unless it’s a FORCED upon fight. All the optional ones.. they aren’t bothering me, so I’m not really too bothered with them.

I mean if I get bored yeah I might seek one out and fight it just for the hell of it but outside of that, it’s not something I care to actively engage.

Once you learn the pattern the boss becomes yet another trivial task & not much challenge, you’ll just groan & completely ignore it. Prior to RoG’s Becoming a thing DS was never about huge boss fights anyway, & I don’t suddenly expect DST to become Boss Battle Simulator 3000..

So What happens if they DO add a boss to the Lunar Biome? How does he/she/ it work??

Will it be completely optional and provide little to no reward? Will it be something that’s forced upon you making the player eventually have to venture to the Island and battle it to stop whatever it’s forcefully doing? Will killing said boss serve as a progression blocker to more and arguably harder game content..?

Klei said that they do not want to add new playable characters just for the sake of adding more characters... (Despite Playable Characters & their abilities being what you spend 99.5% of your time playing with) I can only PRAY that they also feel this way when it comes to Boss Fights as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ArubaroBeefalo    777
4 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

This idea sounds good on paper..  but I must ask HOW does making the Glass Cutter Regenerate Durability or have Infinite Durability Versus Shadows help in any way AT ALL in making you want to make repeat trips back to the Lunar Island Biomes?

Wasn’t the entire point of the OP on how to make Fix the Lunar Island so that it’s LESS of a One time trip?

You guys are simply thinking “Make Glass Cutter not suck so much..” but the end result- Only makes it so you go to the Island long enough to build ONE Glass Cutter and then never needing another ever again..

My earlier suggestion of allowing the cutter to also farm some type of brand new resource types that only the cutter can farm fits a whole lot better then a Infinite Durability VS Shadows.

Because THEN you will ATLEAST be making more trips to the Island to craft more Cutters.

Right???

Dont include me, im saying that for me its perfect

And no, lets include new tools to new resources, wasting the best weapon as a tool y foolish

 

Also, yeah, including a bosa will make us go more often, as its happening with oasis dessert. If you dont kill bosses its your problem and your way play. (you said that you play in your own meta¿?) But changes has to be made for the fan base, not just one person

RoG wasnt about fighting bosses? Reing of GIANTS??? OK... im done here

Edited by thetricker1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now