How would you "fix" the lunar island?

That close @minespatch but I was thinking something more like Fruit Ninja’s except all Japanese Katana Wielding Vegetable women.

(DC Comics Suicide Squads Kitana Meets Inside Outs favorite Green female Disgust)

Erm anyway.. To put this thread back on Topic: I really don’t think that it is fair to judge Incomplete Content.. lets reserve Judgement until after it has been completed guys.

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

lets reserve Judgement until after it has been completed guys

Yes lets disscuss what we want after it all done and thus harder to change stuff around and instead of when they are actively making it, brillient idea.

The reason why we are debating ia because it isn't finished yet and thus changes can happen more easily and get the product we want. When aomeone makea a sandwich for you, you don't wait til they are done making the sandwich to sat what you wanted, you need to ask before hand so that they can make it how you want before it's already done. 

40 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Yes lets disscuss what we want after it all done and thus harder to change stuff around and instead of when they are actively making it, brillient idea.

The reason why we are debating ia because it isn't finished yet and thus changes can happen more easily and get the product we want. When aomeone makea a sandwich for you, you don't wait til they are done making the sandwich to sat what you wanted, you need to ask before hand so that they can make it how you want before it's already done. 

This is so inaccurate though. First of all your judging content that is unfinished and incomplete, But your judging things that are already in the game as if you know what is still yet to come.

My Perspective? Maybe the Glass Cutter you guys are all so vocal about to quickly jump on & judge saying that it doesn’t compare to X better Weapon SUCKS to YOU because the mob, Structure or purpose it is actually best used on is not even in the game yet?

So no I do not believe it compares to making a sandwich at all..

57 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe the Glass Cutter you guys are all so vocal about to quickly jump on & judge saying that it doesn’t compare to X better Weapon SUCKS to YOU because the mob, Structure or purpose it is actually best used on is not even in the game yet?

The problem is that it's purpose is already defined. It's an anti-shadow weapon. Adding in a new mob won't suddenly make it more viable.

Add threats on the ocean when going towards the island, maybe add some protective barrier pushing you out that you need special boat equipment to piercer, and increase the threat on the island maybe?

Could have progressive waves of enemies the longer you stay on the island, and could maybe randomize some of the features on the island every time you visit it.

Could be a "procedurally generated" challenge where preperation is key, like going to the ruins (assuming you don't just rush/abuse the game), but randomized each time.

Course the rewards would probably need to increase, I would like more variety in equipment, maybe a new, powerful item that isn't just a bigger stick to hit people with.

Go to the island > fight like hell > get randomized powerful reward > leave > repeat, but harder, with new rewards.

It's a pipe dream, but if Klei wants to focus on optional content while making something challenging, I think this could be a neat idea. Perfectly do-able too.

6 minutes ago, Ogrecakes said:

Add threats on the ocean when going towards the island, maybe add some protective barrier pushing you out that you need special boat equipment to piercer, and increase the threat on the island maybe?

Could have progressive waves of enemies the longer you stay on the island, and could maybe randomize some of the features on the island every time you visit it.

Could be a "procedurally generated" challenge where preperation is key, like going to the ruins (assuming you don't just rush/abuse the game), but randomized each time.

Course the rewards would probably need to increase, I would like more variety in equipment, maybe a new, powerful item that isn't just a bigger stick to hit people with.

Go to the island > fight like hell > get randomized powerful reward > leave > repeat, but harder, with new rewards.

It's a pipe dream, but if Klei wants to focus on optional content while making something challenging, I think this could be a neat idea. Perfectly do-able too.

What if the Lunar Biome is just the first of many? giving us more reason to actually BUILD a Boat and go Sailing/Exploring with it?

1 hour ago, CameoAppearance said:

And that's why I only use the celestial orb as a base decoration on private servers. It's better off chilling by the portal on a public server.

Alternatively, you could put it on a boat in the middle of the ocean.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

My Perspective? Maybe the Glass Cutter you guys are all so vocal about to quickly jump on & judge saying that it doesn’t compare to X better Weapon SUCKS to YOU because the mob, Structure or purpose it is actually best used on is not even in the game yet?

I thought it was designed for fuel weaver ?

11 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

1st Glass Cutter has +50 uses VS shadows meaning that it is intended to be used VS shadows. 

2nd are you saying me that Glass Cutter will be more usefull against only 1-2 new monsters? Do you mean that it is going to be that pointless? 

The durability upgrade vs shadows is nice, but since glass cutters take more effort to bring to the fight than dark swords, since you can take down dark swords in material form. I would find the durability upgrade vs fuelweaver at least not so useful. I would prefer a damage bonus against shadows maybe stacked with the durability upgrade, since it takes more effort to get this weapon, it should take less time to do the fight.

Also note that the glass cutters also have their durability bonus against the shadow pieces, not just nightmares and fuelweaver.

On 2020-02-24 at 9:38 AM, Shosuko said:

That's not my use for it as a solo player, but couldn't you use the moonlense and just drop it when you need to signal?  Also isn't there a flare now?  idk as solo player I'm not sure how those work really :\ 

Flares are closest to the orb-as-beacon thing I do, but they only last a few seconds and are consumed when they're used, so it's still not a full replacement. 

14 hours ago, Desblat said:

1st Glass Cutter has +50 uses VS shadows meaning that it is intended to be used VS shadows. 

2nd are you saying me that Glass Cutter will be more usefull against only 1-2 new monsters? Do you mean that it is going to be that pointless? 

I am saying something called GLASS Cutter should cut Glass.. Which if you actually sit and think about it would go well for a lot of craftable items.

Such as for example Fish Scale-O-Matic.. Which Currently the crafting Recipe For is 4 Ice, 2 Wooden Planks, 1 Cut Stone.

But with the GLASS Cutter we could (Potentially) have that recipe changed from 4 Ice to 4 Glass & Glass Itself can only be mined as a resource using the Glass Cutter on a new type of resource Glass.

But hey.. I don’t design the game, I can only play it and provide feedback.

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I am saying something called GLASS Cutter should cut Glass.. Which if you actually sit and think about it would go well for a lot of craftable items.

Such as for example Fish Scale-O-Matic.. Which Currently the crafting Recipe For is 4 Ice, 2 Wooden Planks, 1 Cut Stone.

But with the GLASS Cutter we could (Potentially) have that recipe changed from 4 Ice to 4 Glass & Glass Itself can only be mined as a resource using the Glass Cutter on a new type of resource Glass.

But hey.. I don’t design the game, I can only play it and provide feedback.

The glass cutter is not meant to be a tool to cut glass, its just a name because its made of glass and they ran out of names for blades. The example you is also wrong since the ice is meant to represent water, not glass, so that the fish can actually live in the tank. I think this just another case where try to make up the absurdist method because you decided to extract too much meaning out of a name was jist truing to sound cool, another examoke being the celestial portal. The final point is that you don't even cut anything to make glass, but rather you heat up sand for it. There is alsonthe point of why would they make a entire glass craftable when they already have the moon glass shards which do the exact same thing.

4 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

The glass cutter is not meant to be a tool to cut glass, its just a name because its made of glass and they ran out of names for blades. The example you is also wrong since the ice is meant to represent water, not glass, so that the fish can actually live in the tank. I think this just another case where try to make up the absurdist method because you decided to extract too much meaning out of a name was jist truing to sound cool, another examoke being the celestial portal. The final point is that you don't even cut anything to make glass, but rather you heat up sand for it. There is alsonthe point of why would they make a entire glass craftable when they already have the moon glass shards which do the exact same thing.

Dude the glass isn’t for the fish to live in, it’s for making the glass bowl on the outside of the tank.

if you want to get technical I guess you could add both the glass and ice.. but you don’t want to over complicate things in a video game.

most of all a video game full of Science and MAGIC.

But the Cookie Cutter Enemies are designed to eat the Cookies shaped boats (hence how they got that name..) So why wouldn’t a Glass cutter be effective at cutting Glass?

4 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

But they already put glass in the game...  Its what you use to build the glass cutter...  and you get it by harvesting with a pickaxe...

And? What if it could gather more glass resources then the Pickaxe?

An item in a game about mostly crafting things.. does not always have to be most effective in a Combat Situation to be deemed worthy of using- That’s my whole point.

33 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

An item in a game about mostly crafting things.. does not always have to be most effective in a Combat Situation to be deemed worthy of using- That’s my whole point.

But its entire purpose is to be a weapon. You don't just look at sword and say "this would be great at farming hay" because its design is not meant to be used for that purpose. The glass cutter is meant to be a weapon due to its very high damage and thw fact it doesn't have any other option to use it on, like other weapons. The blade wouldn't even be good as it doesn't have a single defined point where the actual destruction happens, and as all the moon glass comes from mining, it doesn't seem like it would be a good pickaxe. It would be like using a pickaxe to chop down trees and a axe to break down rocks, they can do it but with much more effort then the specially designed tool. While the game may have mythical elements strewn about it, the devs still are aiming for somewhat realistic gameplay as seen by mechanics like armor durability and boat momentum. The game is about people being plopped into a world of mystic and intriuge to surivive un and they have to use their knowlage to survive, that is Don't Starve. It retains the rules of reality to all elements non magical and thus this idea of a blade being better at cutting special rocks, which is what moon glass collecting boils down to, then a pickaxe that is design to mine rocks is just stupid and preposterous. You can use the excuse of "It's just a game so it doesn't have to follow the rules of our world" but then it just makes the game lose its charm. It's relience on reality it what makes it charming to some people and gives it its title as a survival game. If we start making exceptions then the game would lose more and more of its unique charm by allowing more and more exceptions through.

28 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

The Glass Cutter is a Re-Skinned version of the Machete, Which was used in Shipwrecked to chop down Bamboo and Viney Bush for Resources. But it could also be used in Combat.. although it was defiantly  not a very ideal Weapon choice.

So why are you finding it so farfetched to believe that the Glass Cutter May actually serve more of an actual use then to just engage in combat with?

36 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The Glass Cutter is a Re-Skinned version of the Machete, Which was used in Shipwrecked to chop down Bamboo and Viney Bush for Resources. But it could also be used in Combat.. although it was defiantly  not a very ideal Weapon choice.

So why are you finding it so farfetched to believe that the Glass Cutter May actually serve more of an actual use then to just engage in combat with?

Why are you being so stubborn to not see that the moon glass cutter isn't a normal tool, but instead of a weapon to kill things with? There is a item in Hamlet called the Halberd, which can chop trees and do decent damage. You want to know how people use Halberds? Strictly as weapons. Its just that using as weapon is much more benefical then using it as a axe. It would be the same case even if the Cutter go more functionality, it would be strictly used as a weapon since its qualities are better used for comabat and use the new tools that were made specifically to combat the non fighting problem.  It wouldn't even be a good tool as it has a absurdly low durability which would make any flint version infinitely more easier to use as you would just grab flint and craft it rather then going all the way to the lunar island, mining moon glass, assembeling the alter, and making the cutters just to return again. While yes, it could have additional functionality as a tool, its primary focus was and always will be damage, which what everyone else has been debating about.

(Not sure if the Machete image is gonna show, says its a .webp, only one I can find)

(Edit: Removed Machete image, didn't work and instead displayed a download link)

(Edit:Edit: Got a good Machete image)

Saying the Glass Cutter is a reskined Machete is a fairly bold statement, and also inaccurate. By that metric you could say the Machete is a reskined Dark Sword. The bottom line is you obtain glass with the pickaxe. There is no need for another tool. And what if you could gather more glass with this hypothetical tool? It would have to be a lot more since you need glass to craft the Glass Cutter. That would be a big runaround for minimal payoff.

Glass_Cutter.png

Machete.png

Oh I see now.. your one of those META folks, if it’s not Meta then it’s worthless right?

lucky for me I don’t play by the Meta and actually enjoy playing the game using whatever means required and with whatever tools I happen to have at my disposal at the time..

its more fun that way, but ehh to each their own I guess, you guys enjoy immediately focusing on X item or X Character because they’re much more useful to you than Y item..

MEANWHILE, I’ll enjoy playing As EVERY Character and crafting whatever I feel like crafting at the time.

But to answer your question as to how you fix the island itself.. you make Saladmanders so they don’t go extinct and add more hostile creatures to the Biome.

@Mike23Ua I think it's time to drop it. This is no longer about the glass cutter and it's now about "winning" an internet argument. Turning this into a discussion about the "meta" doesn't change anything, especially when there's so few options that it's hard not to follow the "meta". You're just trying to deflect criticism by saying that following the "meta" is bad and being "anti-meta" is good.

You presented a suggestion to change the glass cutter from a weapon to a tool, and it was generally disliked. Let's just leave it at that. There's no need to fight tooth and nail defending it.

Archived