3 years later, and the sandstorm mechanic is still poorly implemented

Considering in every world I have played that the Oasis is never too far away from Biomes that do not have a SandStorm.. the storms themselves just feel like a Wasted short Gimmick.

I have been trying to have Klei consider Redesigning the Entire Oasis Area so that sandstorms can happen more often, more frequently and not just during the Summer! I photo edited an Image below to showcase what that might look like, LOTS more Sand a few Desert Snakes, and Some Palm Trees...

But so far.. no one actually seems to be on board with the idea. :( 

E82789FE-4115-4826-91D2-F3C7BAB6D553.jpeg

8 hours ago, Mooagain said:

I think the current summer mechanics are nice, I've never struggled to get the goggles or kill antlion, but I might jut be lucky.

The only thing I would change is make fire hounds just light the player on fire when you kill them, because I'm really tired of them burning everything with no way to stop them.

I mean, flingos could do the trick, but it's not like you always have one close by. (In fact, in over 20h playing together, we've never placed a single one)I think setting mobs on fire instead of just the player would be a better rework. It'd still be a fire hazard, but a lesser one

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Considering in every world I have played that the Oasis is never too far away from Biomes that do not have a SandStorm.. the storms themselves just feel like a Wasted short Gimmick.

I have been trying to have Klei consider Redesigning the Entire Oasis Area so that sandstorms can happen more often, more frequently and not just during the Summer! I photo edited an Image below to showcase what that might look like, LOTS more Sand a few Desert Snakes, and Some Palm Trees...

Well, i think it's fine as is thematically, but don't get down! i'm  sure there's gotta be a mod out there that adds palm trees!

I wish there was an angry face Emote on these forums, I would use it anytime someone says.. “there’s a mod for that.”

Because on Consoles There isn’t, so while PC gamers may have the joy of Mods with unique & cool custom Biomes & other Game content, Console gamers are limited to only what is Officially part of the actual game.

And as far as what’s only officially part of the game goes, it could really use some new or updated Biomes.

I also want to point out that when I say Sandstorms are a pretty useless game Mechanic that It’s because several of my Oasis spawns are looking like this GiF.

So moving it further into the center of a Sandy Biome would be a significant improvement at least when it comes to the provided GiF below.

58D71F9C-28DE-4EBE-8104-32A598099D54.gif

10 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

This one I don't agree with. I think the Against the Grain mechanics are fine as they stand. Sandstorm isn't a universal weather condition like cold, hot or rain so fishing in the oasis for blueprints is a nice challenge. The two-step fashion goggles to desert goggles recipe is made intentionally that way. Enduring the sandstorms until someone fishes out the recipes is also intentional. I'd blow absolutely everything away from the mechanics of the oasis if you could easily go and fish there on spring, get the now single goggles blueprint with the heightened chances you described and profit. I don't even see the incentive of hanging out in the oasis in summer after that aside from the wildfire protection.

My thoughts as well, I'd have to say.

Spoiler
7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Excuse me, but you never stated anything regarding Sandstorms in your original thread. All you did was talk about how you wanted to add redundant, out-of-place SW content like crabbits and coconut trees, Mirages and aesthetics:

Word of advice: Please don't lie to make your arguments look good.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have been trying to have Klei consider Redesigning the Entire Oasis Area so that sandstorms can happen more often, more frequently and not just during the Summer!

- Why impose more difficulty in dealing with an already "Wasted short Gimmick"? Why make it unrealistic and make it happen outside of Summer considering that the other seasons have conditions like Spring Rain and Winter Snowfall which should prevent sandstorms? They're supposed to be a summer occurrence, so keep them that way!

- Making something hard even unreasonably harder deal with by making it happen more often while keeping the way to deal with it (goggles) harder to reach is not how to fix a poorly implemented issue.

That aside,

Even if strong winds were not present, to instill a sense of realism a Sandstorm should kill torches pretty rapidly. Also, question, would it be fine if it faded after Antlion? Or extended to the dFly Desert?

16 minutes ago, GetNerfedOn said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Excuse me, but you never stated anything regarding Sandstorms in your original thread. All you did was talk about how you wanted to add redundant, out-of-place SW content like crabbits and coconut trees, Mirages and aesthetics:

Word of advice: Please don't lie to make your arguments look good.

- Why impose more difficulty in dealing with an already "Wasted short Gimmick"? Why make it unrealistic and make it happen outside of Summer considering that the other seasons have conditions like Spring Rain and Winter Snowfall which should prevent sandstorms? They're supposed to be a summer occurrence, so keep them that way!

- Making something hard even unreasonably harder deal with by making it happen more often while keeping the way to deal with it (goggles) harder to reach is not how to fix a poorly implemented issue.

That aside,

Even if strong winds were not present, to instill a sense of realism a Sandstorm should kill torches pretty rapidly. Also, question, would it be fine if it faded after Antlion? Or extended to the dFly Desert?

I figured it would be pretty obvious that a Biome composed of sand in a desert would obviously have sand storms.

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I figured it would be pretty obvious that a Biome composed of sand in a desert would obviously have sand storms.

But not apart from summer. In terms of time of occurrence, its fine. It just needs to be worked around such that it needs to be dealt with more easily as mentioned in OP

22 minutes ago, Canis said:

Are we not going to talk about the fact that this image looks like an ad for a "free download" scam website?

I dunno I just took images found on google and swapped a few images around here and there except for the part where Wendy is about to get bitten by a snake.. that part was my actual Gameplay.

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I wish there was an angry face Emote on these forums, I would use it anytime someone says.. “there’s a mod for that.”

Because on Consoles There isn’t, so while PC gamers may have the joy of Mods with unique & cool custom Biomes & other Game content, Console gamers are limited to only what is Officially part of the actual game.

And as far as what’s only officially part of the game goes, it could really use some new or updated Biomes.

Dont worry, the 90% of mods sucks or are made to make the game easier. You arent loosing a big thing 

Fashion goggles should really just be removed. Fashion goggles could be a cosmetic skin for desert goggles. My only issue with the Oasis is the horrid RNG of fishing for blueprints. The oasis filling up in spring is a good idea. Everyone preps before a season, but you can't really prep desert goggles before summer since it's only available in summer.

8 hours ago, thetricker1 said:

Dont worry, the 90% of mods sucks or are made to make the game easier. You arent loosing a big thing 

I mainly just want the ones that make the game world look prettier, not make the anything easier.. stuff like ADM’s Sakura Biome, Gorgeitated Mode, Forge Mod.

Basically New Biomes, with New Mobs, New Craftable Items and a whole lot more game world to explore.

9 hours ago, Bird Up said:

Fashion goggles should really just be removed. Fashion goggles could be a cosmetic skin for desert goggles. My only issue with the Oasis is the horrid RNG of fishing for blueprints. The oasis filling up in spring is a good idea. Everyone preps before a season, but you can't really prep desert goggles before summer since it's only available in summer.

No, why would you say that? They are an upgrade to Top Hats and one of the very few hats that don't block the hair of your character skin, alongside garland and earmuffs. Given earmuffs provide the bare minimum heat resistance and garlands perish, walking with fashion goggles is your best option for that choice; I wouldn't want the goggles effect everytime I'm walking with fashion goggles as an alternative to Top Hat

6 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

No, why would you say that? They are an upgrade to Top Hats and one of the very few hats that don't block the hair of your character skin, alongside garland and earmuffs. Given earmuffs provide the bare minimum heat resistance and garlands perish, walking with fashion goggles is your best option for that choice; I wouldn't want the goggles effect everytime I'm walking with fashion goggles as an alternative to Top Hat

Maybe they can make it so that the goggles only start to wear down while actually IN a SandStorm? Seeing as it doesn’t provide any other forms of advantages and is mostly cosmetic anyway.

28 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Maybe they can make it so that the goggles only start to wear down while actually IN a SandStorm? Seeing as it doesn’t provide any other forms of advantages and is mostly cosmetic anyway.

The desert goggles also give sanity, the same amount as a top hat (and a fashion goggles) if I'm not mistaken.

11 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

The desert goggles also give sanity, the same amount as a top hat (and a fashion goggles) if I'm not mistaken.

I’m confused, what’s the difference between Fashion Goggles and Desert Goggles?

other than the first one looks like Steam Punk Glasses Worn by WWE Superstar Becky Lynch.

And the other looks like an old World War Era Airplane Pilots Hat.

56 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

They could just be given a toggle option (similar to the bush hat and such) that puts the goggles down over your eyes.

11 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m confused, what’s the difference between Fashion Goggles and Desert Goggles?

other than the first one looks like Steam Punk Glasses Worn by WWE Superstar Becky Lynch.

And the other looks like an old World War Era Airplane Pilots Hat.

Very little. One is functional, and the other is just a top hat 2.0.

2 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

They could just be given a toggle option (similar to the bush hat and such) that puts the goggles down over your eyes.

Very little. One is functional, and the other is just a top hat 2.0.

So am I wasting Resources when I craft these things and put them on the heads of My Merm Army as Wurt? I think Merms look cool rocking those hats.. but could just only be my opinion.

Okay I'm with you having the pond fill up late spring.  Sometimes you don't even get the pond for the first day or two of summer and that's a drag.  Once the pond is full I will usually get the blueprints within 1-2 fishing rods.  iirc you cannot get the desert goggles unless the person opening the package already consumed the fashion goggles.  So if you are playing with multiple people fishing at once have one person open the packages, and if they get fashion goggles consume it before opening any more.

Also - I agree with the redundancy of crafting fashion goggles => desert goggles.  I kinda hate redundancy in other parts, like the Electrical Doodads which are simply a stepping stone between refined rocks and gold...  Each step should do something on its own, and I don't feel the 3.3 sanity regen is that something considering you can get the same from a top hat crafted from a few silks, or 6.7/min from a tam.  I would recommend giving Fashion goggles and desert goggles both the cooling effect of the whirly fan.

What I would recommend is either:

A) combine them into 1 item which you right click, similar to a snurtle shell armor, to lower the eye pieces.  With the eye pieces lowered you get clear vision in the oasis.  While the eye pieces are up their durability does not decrease.  If other weather patterns like Blizzards are introduced the goggles should protect from these weather effects as well.  No other changes needed.

B) give both versions a cooling effect similar to the Whirly Fan.  This gives the fashion goggles a use as they are cheaper than the desert goggles if you aren't going into the oasis.  This also addresses the fact that you are required to use desert goggles in the Oasis in Summer, which demands some heat mitigation, while taking up a head slot typically used for exactly that...  Sure we can use thermal stones, but I'd really like to see DST come up with ways to relieve us of our Thermal Stone dependencies, and the ways I can see doing that is by giving us cold / heat generating effects, and by making foods that alter temperature a bit better.

On that note I think the Hibernation Vest should give a warming effect similar to the Whirly Fan's cooling effect.

Archived