3 years later, and the sandstorm mechanic is still poorly implemented

This is the one weather condition that you can't prepare for before it happens, and when it does, you're completely at the mercy of rng to give you the blueprints needed. You can prepare for literally every other weather condition before it happens, and because you can't do that with the sandstorm, it feels really unfair. So not only do you need to slowly slog your way through the antlion desert to the oasis, you need to waste a lot of time doing pretty much nothing while you fish up the required blueprints. On average, it feels like I waste about half of the first summer doing this.

How it could be improved: Let the oasis begin to fill up with spring rain. Not only would this make a lot more sense then it miraculously filling with water when it gets too hot, it would also allow you to fish up the required blueprints earlier. The chances of getting a rare blueprint should also be increased if they haven't been learnt yet. I know this mechanic already exists, I'm just saying the chances should be higher then what they currently are.

Also, the fashion goggles are kinda redundant. I don't think they should be completely removed (I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy using them), but I don't think they should be required to craft the actual desert goggles. Needing 2 blueprints puts you at the mercy of rng even farther. The desert goggles should instead just require 2 pig skin and 1 gold directly. Needing 2 blueprints to be fished up just puts you farther into the mercy of rng.

Overall I think the sandstorm mechanic is fine; all it actually needs is better chances to get the blueprint. If the player could obtain it reliably with like 2 days of fishing, that would be balanced imo. It took me around 8-9 days to get it in my solo world (which was back when it was added, so things might have been tweaked since then)

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Let the oasis begin to fill up with spring rain. Not only would this make a lot more sense then it miraculously filling with water when it gets too hot, it would also allow you to fish up the required blueprints earlier.

I like this idea, it's really cool. Tho, are you really seeking logic in DS/T? :D 

The chances of getting a rare blueprint should also be increased if they haven't been learnt yet. I know this mechanic already exists, I'm just saying the chances should be higher then what they currently are.

Yes, this, please, Klei.

Also, the fashion goggles are kinda redundant. I don't think they should be completely removed (I'm sure there are people out there who enjoy using them)

Here I am! :) I use it most of the time when I don't need any armor or protection from the weather.

image.png.9b7959cdd73313f3e6020dcc8a1eb1e4.png

Needing 2 blueprints puts you at the mercy of rng even farther. The desert goggles should instead just require 2 pig skin and 1 gold directly. Needing 2 blueprints to be fished up just puts you farther into the mercy of rng.

Imo having to craft first the fashion, then the desert goggles is fine, just the chances of getting their blueprints should be adjusted.

I for one never had any issue with timing of Sandstorm, Antlion attacking, and Hound Waves so as to be proverbially "caught with pants down" - there are sufficient buffer-times and you must also plan ahead: have a small trap field close to Oasis, make at least a minimal camp there etc. For me current mechanic is fine as it is plus RNG plays like gambling (the risk/reward aspect) on the incitement field.

Weeelll...it's gotten a little better since then, but the ORIGINAL way the sinkholes opened was fast enough to serioulsy hurt you, even if you kept moving:

sinkholeshenanigans1.png.4bc43757e62e022240225090d12614ba.png

...Here I am, wearing my Year of the Gobbler outfit and standing in the thing that hurt me.  BECAUSE.

...and then when you also add hounds PLUS slowdown...

sinkholeshenanigans2.png.71ac96677922614ceaf6fae90bff2e7b.png

Yep.

Why am I in summer already when it's only Day 27?  Well, there's starting in Spring, for sane people, and there's me.  Random Seasons, baby!  In this case, we had a short winter that then went _directly_ into summer.  Fun times.  (I could tell the season was going to change the next day, so I started saying in chat, "And, welcome to...." (dramatic pause, as the sun comes up) "...SUMMER?!"  Sometimes this game has your back when it comes to amazing comedy timing.  : P)

Also you can count me among the ones who actually like the fashion goggles:

sandstorm.png.61ce1ca18628d5f526fa82f5b43edeae.pngdstcivday71madmaxwalani.png.85c114904946934e4352f81e469abd20.png

They may DO NOTHING, but they let you look awesome while not doing it.  :D

Anyway yeah let us fish in the oasis earlier.  Why the heck does the water only show up when everything's DRYING...?  I would also like to not have to destroy my fashion goggles in order to make the necessary-to-not-die ones.

...Notorious

You can actually disable the sandstorm via the telelocator in hopes of rng spawning rain, which dries up the oasis (uh logic???????) and the sandstorm will end. Though it's temporary (2 days) and also requires resources for making telelocators, it works especially for cooling down in the summer heat. Otherwise, oasis sandstorm is quite annoying imo but it's implemented to get players to use a summer exclusive location.

I feel like to "fix" Summer, a complete rework of Antlion would solve every issue. Here are some of my ideas.

Antlion should no longer be a raid boss, and instead spawn similar to Deerclops and Bearger. Since Antlion is now the one hunting you, it should go underground when players try to flee, and re-emerge closer to them.

Remove the ability to trade with it.

Sinkholes are no longer caused by the Antlion, instead happening naturally. There is no grace period for when the sinkholes start, meaning that if you're unlucky you can have it on day 1 of Summer. This applies to cave-ins as well.

As for sandstorm sucking, just make the oasis fill up during Spring ezpz

I honestly don't even kill antlion, stopping sinkholes/cave-ins is not really that great because of how long the windup is for each event. Seriously, the only case in which you will actually get some real damage is if you are inside the middle of a mega-base. So, the only reason for me to even attempt to kill antlion is for that lazy deserter blueprint which is nice, but not really necessary (also completely useless without a mod when playing solo). The only time I want to get desert goggles is for whenever I am basing in the oasis and utilizing the sandstorm for its fire protection. The desert goggles aren't even necessary to take down antlion. Just toss 28 gunpowder at em and finish antlion off with a few hambat swings while tanking maybe 3-4 hits.

19 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

I honestly don't even kill antlion, stopping sinkholes/cave-ins is not really that great because of how long the windup is for each event. Seriously, the only case in which you will actually get some real damage is if you are inside the middle of a mega-base. So, the only reason for me to even attempt to kill antlion is for that lazy deserter blueprint which is nice, but not really necessary (also completely useless without a mod when playing solo). The only time I want to get desert goggles is for whenever I am basing in the oasis and utilizing the sandstorm for its fire protection. The desert goggles aren't even necessary to take down antlion. Just toss 28 gunpowder at em and finish antlion off with a few hambat swings while tanking maybe 3-4 hits.

googles are neccesary if you want to farm cactis or goats in summer without fear of being killed by hounds also you only need to farm the recipe 1 time, the follower summers you can go to the dessert and kill antlion in the moment he spawns to forget that for the entire summer

I think the current summer mechanics are nice, I've never struggled to get the goggles or kill antlion, but I might jut be lucky.

The only thing I would change is make fire hounds just light the player on fire when you kill them, because I'm really tired of them burning everything with no way to stop them.

39 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

googles are neccesary if you want to farm cactis or goats in summer without fear of being killed by hounds also you only need to farm the recipe 1 time, the follower summers you can go to the dessert and kill antlion in the moment he spawns to forget that for the entire summer

You can farm cactus in the DFLY desert and you don’t have to farm goats at all. They are only really worth it if you are playing Warly. You also can relocate the goats out of the desert, which is what most people I see do because the oasis is usually far away from the main base (unless it is the main base). You don’t need the goggles to do any of this, unless like I said in my first post you are basing inside the oasis.

i remember spending around an entire summer just trying to get the blueprints for the desert goggles, i literally got the recipe the LAST DAY OF SUMMER BUT SOME GREIFER BURNED THE MAIN BASE AND THE GUYS ON THE SERVER HAD TO ROLLBACK, luckily somehow i managed to get the recipe again.

This one I don't agree with. I think the Against the Grain mechanics are fine as they stand. Sandstorm isn't a universal weather condition like cold, hot or rain so fishing in the oasis for blueprints is a nice challenge. The two-step fashion goggles to desert goggles recipe is made intentionally that way. Enduring the sandstorms until someone fishes out the recipes is also intentional. I'd blow absolutely everything away from the mechanics of the oasis if you could easily go and fish there on spring, get the now single goggles blueprint with the heightened chances you described and profit. I don't even see the incentive of hanging out in the oasis in summer after that aside from the wildfire protection.

28 minutes ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

You can farm cactus in the DFLY desert and you don’t have to farm goats at all. They are only really worth it if you are playing Warly. You also can relocate the goats out of the desert, which is what most people I see do because the oasis is usually far away from the main base (unless it is the main base). You don’t need the goggles to do any of this, unless like I said in my first post you are basing inside the oasis.

without farming goats how can i beat FW? also maybe i want dessert flowers or oasis dessert its near of my base...

Maybe you just need to tame a beefalo before summer.
You don't have to make it reach 100% domestication.
Just prepare some grass or food and of course a saddle then you'll be fine.
Yeah, they got rid of the hardest giant, but they did add beefalo taming mechanism, which helps players to solve the sandstorm problem in summer.

13 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

without farming goats how can i beat FW? also maybe i want dessert flowers or oasis dessert its near of my base...

You also don’t have to farm the goats specifically in the summer, and you don’t have to leave them in the oasis. Also seen any of the speed runs without the weather pain? I know you can’t cheese the bone cage now, but does that really mean that the weather pain is needed to win? Also I’ve already mentioned it being useful for oasis bases, twice.

5 hours ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

So, the only reason for me to even attempt to kill antlion is for that lazy deserter blueprint which is nice, but not really necessary (also completely useless without a mod when playing solo).

The lazy deserter can be used to very quickly drain your sanity for farming nightmare fuel or for staying on the lunar island. So it's not completely useless in solo play.

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

so fishing in the oasis for blueprints is a nice challenge

Literally standing around barely doing anything is challenging? I find it to be excruciatingly boring more then anything else.

25 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Literally standing around barely doing anything is challenging? I find it to be excruciatingly boring more then anything else.

Most likely he means that if he doesn't get in time Desert Goggles bp (the RNG/gambling-like thrill) before Hound Wave or Anltion attacks when being in base... a lot of things can go wrong, more so if no Flingo and/or tanking-armor are present as mobility is significantly hampered.

Fashion goggles could probably be an alchemy station thing anyone can craft, at any point in the game. When you wear them, they give you (besides some sanity and looking cool) a slightly better vision in the sandstorm.  You still get the same reduced speed and "some" reduced vision in the storm, just not as bad vision as without anything.

Then once you get to fish in Oasis (probably starting in mid spring with the heavy rains, as Fang mentioned) and you get the desert goggles blueprint, you can craft the actual desert goggles for the full protection against the sandstorm. I also agree with the suggestion that you should have more chances to fish it if you don't know the recipe.

If the fashion goggles would let you see more, you'd have a secondary way to walk around the desert and still do stuff, which is riding a beefalo. So spending a summer or two fishing in the pond could be a more optional thing.

Also crumpled packages could shield better loot other than just trinkets, including gears, thulecite pieces, rare gems, etc, so it doesn't feel like as much of a waste of time.

Archived