Ipsquiggle

Banhi's Automation Innovation Pack in testing now! - 395113

Recommended Posts

werecat    7

Only dupe interaction left are changing liquid valves and gas valves. Speaking of, that should either be instant or actually show a "errand-to-be-done" icon on them when they need to be changed

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
werecat    7

The ribbon reader and ribbon writer should probably be on the automation layer, not the building layer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,536

Oh my, I'm going to have to rework a lot of set ups now as I've run automation signals over vents in a great deal of builds.

Add that in most or at least many cases shut off valves are now redundant.

Incidentally, a counter set to 2 replaces a toggle switch. 

Not sure what use a wattage sensor that measures power consumption is useful for except maybe for detecting no power consumption. A much more useful wattage sensor would be one that measures power generation.

Edited by Saturnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lol clicking the database button for sweepy opens the page on shove voles ?

 

edit: wait. No. Sweepy is part of the shove vole page like it's a critter variant.

Edited by 535596_1452787942
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
watermelen671    17,260

Did you just release a stealth update @Ipsquiggle?

...maybe?

image.png.2d2a6f4cbf1ed1bd3350807a9d376cb5.png

Dunno why there's a -D attached to it. :wilson_curious:

Edited by watermelen671
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Still no solid sensors!!!

Do you mean on conveyors or debris?  Because I would love conveyor sensors.

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Gas Shutoff behavior is now consistent with Liquid Shutoff

Out of curiosity, how did they act inconsistently before? 

47 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Not sure what use a wattage sensor that measures power consumption is useful for except maybe for detecting no power consumption. A much more useful wattage sensor would be one that measures power generation.

I can see another purpose.  If the power consumption is below a certain point, you could turn on some optional machines.  You could use this with a memory toggle to turn them off if the circuit started overloading.  Or, looking at it from the other side, you could turn off machines if the circuit is overloading.

You could also use this to detect if a machine is on or off and do things accordingly.  For example, I could imagine a circuit that could overload if I run the oil refinery and the associated gas pump at the same time, so I put in a device that detects if it running both would cause an overload.

Edited by Zarquan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,536
18 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

Do you mean on conveyors or debris?  Because I would love conveyor sensors.

Conveyor sensors

18 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I can see another purpose.  If the power consumption is below a certain point, you could turn on some optional machines.  You could use this with a memory toggle to turn them off if the circuit started overloading.  Or, looking at it from the other side, you could turn off machines if the circuit is overloading.

You could also use this to detect if a machine is on or off and do things accordingly.  For example, I could imagine a circuit that could overload if I run the oil refinery and the associated gas pump at the same time, so I put in a device that detects if it running both would cause an overload.

You can do all of that without a wattage sensor so it's of no use in these instances either.

No, a wattage sensor should detect power generation. That would be useful.

Edited by Saturnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Saturnus said:

Still no solid sensors!!!

"New and notable features", 3rd bullet point from the bottom, literally says "Added a Solid Filter building for Conveyor Rails"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

You can do all of that without a wattage sensor so it's of no use in these instances either.

If this is the case, I challenge you to create an automation system that will only allow an oil refinery and pump to run simultaneously if it will not overload the circuit it is currently on.  If the other machines happen to be off, the pump and oil refinery are allowed to run simultaneously.  All other components on the circuit are generic (meaning they could be anything) and are considered to have priority over the pump, and are not necessarily controlled by automation.  This device should change about as quickly as any other sensor if the pump should be deactivated.  Keep in mind that this oil refinery is an example, so you should not rely on the fact that there is a dupe standing at the refinery when it is running.

Additionally, I challenge you to make a device that detects whether a generic machine is currently running.  This should work with any building, including an air tunnel, a juke box, a liquid pump, or an autodigger, without any modification to the setup (except changing values on existing automation components.).  It should output "true" if the building is currently running and "false" if it is not, and be able to produce these outputs without any significant delay.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,536
10 minutes ago, Earl_of_Earlier said:

"New and notable features", 3rd bullet point from the bottom, literally says "Added a Solid Filter building for Conveyor Rails"

A filter is not a sensor. Doh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
23 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No, a wattage sensor should detect power generation. That would be useful.

I agree this would be nice to have, but is it necessary?  If the power generation isn't high enough, a smart battery should be able to tell us that and perform actions accordingly, including cause brownouts on non-vital systems and use the new notifier to tell us.

Edited by Zarquan
deleted first sentence.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the display part of the new signal counter broken for you guys too ? The 7 segment part is not showing anything. For the rest, it's properly sending a signal when the max value is reached.

 

broken display on the new signal counter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Saturnus    3,536
13 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

If this is the case, I challenge you to create an automation system that will only allow an oil refinery and pump to run simultaneously if it will not overload the circuit it is currently on... >snip<

Create artificial conditions all you want it doesn't change facts.

I've demonstrated builds before that only allow a pump to run if another building is off. It's really that simple.

For the second part you just have to ask yourself: "what condition could I actively turn on the building", or passively read if the building is on. It's really not hard.

12 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I agree this would be nice to have, but is it necessary?  If the power generation isn't high enough, a smart battery should be able to tell us that and perform actions accordingly, including cause brownouts on non-vital systems and use the new notifier to tell us.

The main purpose here is to check the power generation of variable power sources like solar panels and steam turbines.

Under or over a certain power generation threshold you may want to switch what grid the power generator is on.

10 minutes ago, 535596_1452787942 said:

Is the display part of the new signal counter broken for you guys too ? The 7 segment part is not showing anything. For the rest, it's properly sending a signal when the max value is reached.

Flip it. You've reversed input and output

Actually you haven't. At any rate I also had an issue until I flipped one of the displays. Apparently, you have to rotate it at least once to make it work.

Edited by Saturnus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mistrbushido    332
3 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Gas Reservoir and Liquid Reservoir have smart storage functionality

It would be nice to have the same for refrigerators, and smart storages actually. You probably meant the hysteresis controls previously found only on the smart battery.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Zarquan    777
58 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Create artificial conditions all you want it doesn't change facts.

There is a difference between artificial and precise.  This situation is not artificial.

58 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I've demonstrated builds before that only allow a pump to run if another building is off. It's really that simple.

But this isn't what I want.  I want a system where, if there is excess capacity on a wire, the power used is unbounded, but if there isn't enough capacity, it is capped with internal priorities.  I can so the internal priorities easily, but I can't do the unbounded part without keeping track of every machine on the circuit.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

The main purpose here is to check the power generation of variable power sources like solar panels and steam turbines.

Under or over a certain power generation threshold you may want to switch what grid the power generator is on

Couldn't this be done with transformers and a wattage sensor along with a smart battery?  You run the turbine and panels through the transformers and use the wattage sensor to measure the power usage.  If you overproduce, this can be detected with a smart battery.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now