Toilet, Research, and food.. then what?

So I think its generally accepted that Toilet and foods (with manual generators and basic science) are the first 2 ticks on the way to sorting everything out (please do enlighten me if even this is a presumption to far)..

Then the decisions arrive... what to focus on for the next couple of cycles.. I normally Like to get a hatchery sorted whilst sending some dupes exploring for geyers and other hidden gems and focusing my research on getting close loop restrooms.
But whats the alternatives? I seriously doubt mine is the only way.. whats your next targets? getting off of algae? Climbing the food ladder? jump straight to oil?

I am super interested in other peoples priorities early game

Meanwhile my early game is always the same fun, get 16-20 dupes and build everything to support them. This way the game never gets boring because you always have something to do, mabe several things at the same time. :)

2 minutes ago, Moah said:

... and build everything to support them...

This is the bit I am asking about.. are you saying you pause the game on cycle one and throw down all the build plans at once? how do you deal with the fact that you don't have all the research open at the start?

You can live of algae quite a while. I mostly focus on digging out the starting biome while cranking out much of the basic research. And dig down to have a CO2 pit. That also uncovers buried stuff like muckroot, hatches mealwood seeds which are quite useful.

For my non-algae oxygen production I like to find an AETN to cool the O2 and build the SPOM near there. That can handle two pipes of oxygen to super chilliness or maybe three for somewhat warm.

Since setting up oil takes me a long time, I get a drecko ranch going relatively early so I can get glossy dreckos for plastic.

And I know that most people just let their dupes wash themselves with germy water. But I eventually want a chlorine disinfection room. That lets me dump any bottled PW in there without having to worry about where it came from. I also use that for slime disinfection. Getting that properly running takes a good while and I don't need it right away, but I can lay the foundations early.

Yes, in the first cycles i very often use the pause-function, draw the buildings/tunnels dupes can handle the next 2-3 cycles and then i continue. Step for step and very important, do not give them too many orders at once. When the first dupes are idling i continue building.

Same game with research, when i need somethings urgently i just research it. But maybe i dont understand this question.

Edit: Ah, ok, now i think i understand. No, i dont draw "all buidlings" at once. In my playstyle i never use "blueprints", everything i build is "on demand" and "where it fits". One time a turbine is a 5x5 room, another game i have a mega-cluster with 40x40 blocks. It depands on the map and resources how and what i build.

My priority list:

1.) get more Dupes (up to 20-30)

2.) Food

3.) Water

4.) Energy

5.) Temperature

6.) Comfort/Research

7.) Exploration

Usually the order in which you research and build depends a bit on the map you've chosen. Except the basics (toilet, food, etc)

So you research early insulation in very hot games like oasis so you can preserve as much of the thermal comfort (green) zone in which you grow food etc.

Other maps and playstyle may demand different actions like early exosuits or little coal so you have to stress the energy management...

Long story short. There's no real build order

Insulation is a very inefficient way to deal with hot maps when you can just dig natural tiles out to make a perfect thermal barrier. In a few places you may need to use regular tiles combined with corner building/deconstruction but at any rate insulated tiles aren't really needed.

Order is variable. I have delayed food (by making mush bars) where it was possible for a long, long time (> 100 cycles), because other things were more important. The one thing really important is that you have to have a handle on oxygen and food before adding dupes. That does not mean you have to solve them before adding dupes, it just means you have a viable plan to solve them. Other than that, there is no fixed order you need to use.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Insulation is a very inefficient way to deal with hot maps though when you can just dig natural tiles out to make a perfect thermal barrier. In a few places you may need to use regular tiles combined with corner building/deconstruction but at any rate insulated tiles aren't really needed.

I disagree. On Oasisse, where the outside directly next to the starting biome can reach 80C, you need to use insulated tiles or (far more space consuming)  vacuum insulation or things will come crashing down somewhere in the first few 100 cycles. On mildly warm maps (40C), just digging out tiles may be enough and it is a first good step on Oasisse as well. 

24 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I disagree. On Oasisse, where the outside directly next to the starting biome can reach 80C, you need to use insulated tiles or (far more space consuming)  vacuum insulation or things will come crashing down somewhere in the first few 100 cycles. On mildly warm maps (40C), just digging out tiles may be enough and it is a first good step on Oasisse as well. 

I think he was suggesting to use vacuum by diagonal digging one tile at a time.

Just now, Gurgel said:

Ah. That would make more sense. Of course, it is not always possible.

It's always possible, just a huge PITA.  Any existing openings that have gas you can simply fill in with tile then diagonal deconstruct.

2 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Ah. That would make more sense. Of course, it is not always possible.

Most of the time it is. Hence why I wrote that you combine it with regular tiles and corner building/deconstruction for the few places it's not possible.

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Most of the time it is. Hence why I wrote that you combine it with regular tiles and corner building/deconstruction for the few places it's not possible.

Am I missing something?  You always need to use corner digging to get a vacuum.  It's just a question of whether you are digging natural tiles or built tiles.

8 minutes ago, psusi said:

It's always possible, just a huge PITA.  Any existing openings that have gas you can simply fill in with tile then diagonal deconstruct.

Hmm. Thinking about it, you are correct. I am not sure I want to try this though. Researching insulated tiles is not that hard.

Just now, Saturnus said:

yes, as usual

digging =//= building/deconstruction

It seems like you are just making a purely semantic argument that misses my point.  Whether you call it digging or deconstruction, its all breaking tiles and has to be done diagonally to get a vacuum.  You seemed to be suggesting that you don't need to do it diagonally with natural tiles.

2 minutes ago, psusi said:

It seems like you are just making a purely semantic argument that misses my point.  

It seems like you are just making a purely semantic argument that misses my point.  

3 minutes ago, psusi said:

You seemed to be suggesting that you don't need to do it diagonally with natural tiles.

Nope.

1 hour ago, psusi said:

Am I missing something?  You always need to use corner digging to get a vacuum.  It's just a question of whether you are digging natural tiles or built tiles.

You can also use a waterlock to build your vacuum insulation.  This has the advantage that dupes can get in and through.  Thats generally how I do it because it leads to a base with multiple potential exits.

Cycle 1: Toilets, beds, research station

Cycle 2: Start mealwood farm

Cycle 3: Establish oxygen production

Cycle 4: Assess how much Dupes my spawn can support (Oxyferns, water etc.)

Next I build all rooms I can (especially the broken Great Hall) to push morale. This includes the washroom upgrade. As soon as the core is set up, I tech into Atmosuits.

By Dupe Skill 4 to 5 of the starting ones, all Dupes will get exosuit training to negate the athletics penalty. Build the stations in front of the barracks and let them run around in atmosuits as soon as they wake up.

Next I go into full exploration mode since Dupes are invulnerable against everything (temperature, slimelung etc.) and find my cool steam vents. Build the electrolyzer setup for infinite oxygen production, dig into the oil biome, build a polymer press in the cold biome alongside with a metal refinery and start producing the materials needed for the more sophisticated machines in Midgame.

At cycle 2 I would decide whether I will go with the full achievement game or not and I mostly did go for it even if I've done it before, it require specific type of game play and build order and I mostly find myself destroying biome for food and have top play with 8 or less until food source is steady.

If I decide to go full achievement that's mean I've to get rancher > SPOM(for power) > exosuit if found wild reed else wait for locavore > oil > turbine > space > do some achievement related stuff > wait for achievement to rolls in > game end.

If I don't then I would go for meal wood > coal power automated > ranch > SPOM > full crew exosuit > seal off the base > go for oil and tap some geysers along the way > steel > oil boiler > space > game end.

And a lot of the time I realize I should do this better than something, I delete my save file and go with the new idea I got in the new map.

Additionally when I play on Rime I've a goal in mind is to heat up the entire map and did the opposite when playing the hot map.

Maybe I should try to build a rocket within 100 cycles(should be possible) or make 70-80% of the map as a huge rocket silo(at that point the performance issue would kill be before I finish it).

On 2/18/2020 at 5:33 AM, Twitchi said:

I am super interested in other peoples priorities early game

My particular method is to get an outhouse or two set up with sinks before the end of the first cycle.  During cycle 2 I get a  small power grid going for research and oxygen.  After that, everything depends on what my map is.  In most situations, I start researching all the first and second tier research while digging out some of the starting biome and building things like barracks and a dining hall to bump up morale.    Once I get the super computer built, I generally go for smart batteries first so I can use coal and free up dupe time.  

38 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

My particular method is to get an outhouse or two set up with sinks before the end of the first cycle.  During cycle 2 I get a  small power grid going for research and oxygen.  After that, everything depends on what my map is.  In most situations, I start researching all the first and second tier research while digging out some of the starting biome and building things like barracks and a dining hall to bump up morale.    Once I get the super computer built, I generally go for smart batteries first so I can use coal and free up dupe time.  

Same here for outhouse and sink. Usually you can manage that in the first circle, sometimes getting the water for the sink in time can be tricky. I also try to get 3 cots done cycle 1. After that my approach varies wildly with the map and with what I want to try out. In my current Oassise (preview) I managed to almost starve and suffocate my dupes pretty early on (that has not happened for a long, long time), because I tried something new. 

On 2/19/2020 at 2:17 PM, Fleetfeet said:

This is a damn fine resource if you're wondering how other people play the first many cycles of the game.

What?  Dupes can pee and eat while wearing an atmo suit?  That is weird.

Archived