Wheeler in Don't Starve Together

1 hour ago, RogueGamer12 said:

Lesson learnt, don't have make a thread that has anything to do with bring DS characters to DST. 

Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly fine to make threads about adding DS chars to DST - but for so long as reasonable justification and not half-baked suggestions are given.

Wheeler's already a fine character as is, with perks and kit complementary to both her and teams if she were added. 

14 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Wheeler's already a fine character as is, with perks and kit complementary to both her and teams if she were added. 

Was kind of my point. I just wanted to know if people who tried Her out agree

The pewmatic is fine. As an actual weapon kinda sucks, very situational. As a "tool", is really good (aggro things from a distance, gather feathers for future blowdarts without Wicker, etc). 

If Klei, say, decided to put durability on it, the thing kinda would be garbage. If they put her in DST, I would like it to be exclusive to her and keep it infinite.

I don't mind Wheeler coming to DST (the more the merrier). But I do think she needs some small changes as she is straight up OP. People are focusing on her low health and inventory slots as "good enough" downsides, and they kinda are. Except she has 2 upsides unlike any other:

• Natural extra speed 24/7. Yes, she loses speed when carrying items. But this is only for her direct inventory, a backpack completely nullifies this "downside", but not only that, even if she were to have a full inventory + backpack, she would still be faster than the average character under normal conditions (+5% faster).
  • A decent ranged weapon in the pewmatic horn. True, the pewmatic is far from "broken" as a weapon but it can do the job. And then you see the utility it has, similar to "On tentacles" from Wicker, except it is easier to use and, currently, costs much less. Stingers and beefalo wool (pretty much useless items) become weapons that 1-shot birds, for feathers and easy food, add a feather hat and you have feathers for days. The pewmatic also helps to get aggro from koalefants. For other players to replicate this effect they would have to use boomerangs, they only have 8 uses, and we all know how safe they are.

The dodge is hard to use (and should be even more in DST), but a very nice extra. The navigadget is the less impressive thing of Wheeler because of how niche it is, and even then has it's uses early in the game.

Two things that would immediately make her more balanced (IMO) are:

• Backpack slots should affect her speed, but she can't get a speed modifier lower than +0%. Stuff in the navigadget slot should not affect her speed.
  • Pewmatic horn has durability and can be crafted (though this one is to be expected if she is ported to DST, another expected thing is that she is the only one able to use the pewmatic horn).

6 hours ago, pedregales said:

Pewmatic horn has durability and can be crafted

And how many uses this presumably "Balanced Pewmatic" should have in your opinion?

40? Shoots a stack of trash and explodes? 

The more I think that you can end up with an odd number of ammo and then it explodes before burning it, dropping the stuff to the ground, the more i feel like it would be a nuisance. 

I feel that it is a decent item because it has infinite durability, remove that and oh boy, never recrafting it more than twice. And to be honest, in solo DS there is a point you forget the horn even exists in the late game. 

20 hours ago, Misa22 said:

And how many uses this presumably "Balanced Pewmatic" should have in your opinion?

40? Shoots a stack of trash and explodes? 

I personally let the numbers to the devs and only work with the concept or idea. But if I were to give a number, 40 uses sounds about right, as you suggest.

The more I think that you can end up with an odd number of ammo and then it explodes before burning it, dropping the stuff to the ground, the more i feel like it would be a nuisance.

This is more a personal problem than a problem with the item itself. I am sure devs can make it so the stuff goes directly to one free slot in your inventory (which you should have if you are playing Wheeler) in case the pewmatic breaks, otherwise it would indeed go to the ground. But like any other weapon, if you expect to use it a lot, you will prepare a back up, for example, you don't go and fight deerclops with 1 log suit and 1 spear, you make at least 2 log suits and 2 spears; and you prepare even more for harder bosses.

Considering how useful and versatile the item is, I disagree. Boomerang would be an amazing tool if it wasn't for the nice feature that it can hit you if you are not careful enough AND it loses 1 durability while doing so. Pewmatic horn is a much safer and stronger boomerang, you can use it for all the things a boomerang can be used for (hunting birds and rabbits, plus aggroing koalefant, which is amazing to hunt early on) while simultaneously getting rid of undesirable items. But it is a viable weapon as well, specially in multi-player, were you can keep shooting a giant (for example) from a safe distance while a teammate draws in all the aggro, meaning only one of you is at risk of dying while whoever shoots can keep attacking the enemy while it attacks (which is something you can't do with melee weapons). But even if you don't use it as a weapon, it helps you get better ranged weapons in blow darts. It also helps against kiting enemies like pigmen, bunnymen, and krampus (hell, their biggest weakness is any form of ranged weapon as they can't kite it at all).

Let's not derail the thread any further. If civil and calm discussions about the specific topic can not be achieved, please refrain from engaging. Tangential discourse should at the very least aim to go back to the main topic. Settle your off-topic disagreements in private messages if you have to. Also please reacquaint yourselves with the Klei Forum Community Guidelines.

Be respectful, stay on topic. If you can't do either of these, move on.

5 hours ago, Zillvr said:

Let's not derail the thread any further. If civil and calm discussions about the specific topic can not be achieved, please refrain from engaging. Tangential discourse should at the very least aim to go back to the main topic. Settle your off-topic disagreements in private messages if you have to. Also please reacquaint yourselves with the Klei Forum Community Guidelines.

Be respectful, stay on topic. If you can't do either of these, move on.

Oh please, don't worry. I don't think none of us is trying to attack anyone. It is mostly "you can't hear the speech tone the guy used when you are reading his message" problem. I don't feel attacked anyway. 

I may sound grumpy in my comment, but it was not my intention. Just discussing. 

6a3.gif

Archived