8200 days public server and still running

9 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Personally I really dislike whenever Klei Officials get out of control like this. Klei Officials are the most, well, official way to experience the game on a public server, they're non-player-hosted servers with no admin interaction that reset every in-game year or so. I have a ton of fun joining pubs and just playing through the early game, it's like the McDonalds playground experience of meeting a bunch of people you'll likely never see again and having an absolute blast with them until it's time to leave. But there's so few Klei Officials, and when one lasts so long like this it means there's even fewer options for playing the game in that kind of environment.

It especially bothers me because in my experience this kind of thing doesn't happen naturally, it's not just that people happened to keep joining at the right times for the server to keep going, it's that these servers almost always have a few people with hundreds to thousands of days online at any time. It's that people with high day counts rotate in and out to make sure there's always enough people to stop a vote to regen, and thus always enough people that everyone will never all be dead at the same time. Regardless of how polite the people playing are, it's still very scummy in my opinion to hold a Klei Official hostage so that you can play it the way you want to, rather than just getting some friends together and setting up a dedicated server of your own.

No one is holding this Klei Official server a hostage. The only reason that this server survived for so long is because we've gotten many people who joined as strangers and found the server entertaining enough to return to and keep playing; as far as I'm aware there is not even a group chat and certainly no group of players started this world with the intention of continuing it for this long. Yes, I would guess that there are currently around 60+ people in the server with hundreds to thousands of days online. That is because as I've mentioned, these players found the server entertaining enough to play for so long. Surely, these players have a right to play and enjoy themselves on a Klei Server just like anyone else; I fail to see how them simply playing the game is scummy. 

Just like you, I have a ton of fun joining Klei Officials and just playing through the early game with a bunch of strangers I'll likely never see again. However, just because most Klei Officials end up resetting every in-game year or so does not mean that is the only way to experience and have fun in these servers. In fact, I think that these long lasting Klei servers offer a very rare and unique experience that many people find enjoyable which is why I think we have so many returning players. Worlds like this can often be people's first exposure to a proper DST endgame; the first time they see a true mega base, the first time they have an opportunity to participate in end game boss fights, and the first time they see and learn tricks within the game that they were unaware about. Getting to experience such a play style for the first time can be very inspiring and enjoyable; I certainly thought so. And if you are not interested in any of that, anyone is free to do whatever they'd like as long as they are not destroying base.

6 hours ago, This Heat said:

No one is holding this Klei Official server a hostage.

as far as I'm aware there is not even a group chat and certainly no group of players started this world with the intention of continuing it for this long.

Apparently there is a group of player named themselves "server raider"

this is not the first time they hold klei server hostage like this 

5e4bff7fd0c84_tryhardsconvo.thumb.png.f2fb23ac3cf3dd8392e127679590be3c.png

and looks like these ppl have invented weird afk auto eating / auto detect torch-equiped / auto kick mod (a.k.a botting)

with this weird mod they can take over any un-moderated server easily if there are atleast 4ppl from this group in the world

some of them stay in there almost 24hours a day basically make world live forever as long as they want.

atleast these guys DO allow new player to join in unlike that clayfish server case 

so i guess its ... acceptable ?

I get that Klei official server is a lawless place where everyone can do whatever they want

but holding server hostage like this is a bit too far imo.

17 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

Regardless of how polite the people playing are, it's still very scummy in my opinion to hold a Klei Official hostage so that you can play it the way you want to, rather than just getting some friends together and setting up a dedicated server of your own.

well said.

7 hours ago, Canis said:

You 150% made some form of genitalia.

I haven't built anything on the server.  But you are 200% correct as to the contents behind the gray box.

And there are 12 houndius shootius(es?) encapsulated in the artwork.  Tongue in cheek, I imagine.

12 hours ago, Wilhelm King said:

Apparently there is a group of player named themselves "server raider"

this is not the first time they hold klei server hostage like this 

5e4bff7fd0c84_tryhardsconvo.thumb.png.f2fb23ac3cf3dd8392e127679590be3c.png

and looks like these ppl have invented weird afk auto eating / auto detect torch-equiped / auto kick mod (a.k.a botting)

with this weird mod they can take over any un-moderated server easily if there are atleast 4ppl from this group in the world

some of them stay in there almost 24hours a day basically make world live forever as long as they want.

atleast these guys DO allow new player to join in unlike that clayfish server case 

so i guess its ... acceptable ?

I get that Klei official server is a lawless place where everyone can do whatever they want

but holding server hostage like this is a bit too far imo.

well said.

I am aware of the existence of this group chat. However, this chat is not currently being used to coordinate any group effort into keeping this particular server alive. A few members have willingly made their way onto the server but they are simply playing at their own expense, and 95%+ of the people who regularly visit this server have no relation to this group in any way. Whether or not this particular group of ‘server raiders’ are doing anything wrong is a topic appropriate for another discussion as our current conversation pertains to the server and players of Catcoon Den.

As for the afk mod, one of the people who play on the server enjoys to code and make new mods and he decided to undertake the task of creating an afk mod. He succeeded and he is the only person in the server who is currently using the said mod. I have already stated that individuals on the server are free to do anything they’d like as long as they are not destroying base; this person chooses to play using the afk mod and no one on the server has the power or right to stop him. Someone else did create an auto detect torch/hammer/fire staff/etc. equip mod but I don’t see the problem here and there is no auto kick mod currently being used by anyone.

It seems like you struggle with reading comprehension so I suggest that you go back and slowly reread my previous post before making your next reply. In it I have clearly explained why no one is holding this server a hostage and you’ve failed to address any of the points made.

32 minutes ago, This Heat said:

I am aware of the existence of this group chat. However, this chat is not currently being used to coordinate any group effort into keeping this particular server alive. A few members from the group have willingly made their way onto the server but they are simply playing at their own expense, and 95%+ of the people who regularly visit this server have no relation to this group in any way. Whether or not this particular group of ‘server raiders’ are doing anything wrong is a topic appropriate for another discussion as our current conversation pertains to the server and players of Catcoon Den.

As for the afk mod, one of the people who play on the server enjoys to code and make new mods and he decided to undertake the task of creating an afk mod. He succeeded and he is the only person in the server who is currently using the said mod. I have already stated that individuals on the server are free to do anything they’d like as long as they are not destroying base; this person chooses to play using the afk mod and no one the server has the power or right to stop him. Someone else did create an auto detect torch/hammer/fire staff/etc. equip mod but I don’t see the problem here and there is no auto kick mod currently being used by anyone.

It seems like you struggle with reading comprehension so I suggest that you go back and slowly reread my previous post before making your next reply. In it I have clearly explained why no one is holding this server a hostage and you’ve failed to address any of the points made.  

I don't think the server should be kept going at such a high count. There's already high demand for fresh public worlds. Klei official servers in particular, since they usually have good connection. Whether done intentionally or not, an AFK script player is in fact keeping the world hostage. Public survival servers normally reset when a player joins to die when it's empty to start over on a fresh world. Survival mode has been like that for as long as I've played. A public server might go into a year or two through the players' decision to keep playing rather than starting over, but it's generally very rare for it to beyond that. Everyone would acknowledge that to have a long-lasting server, you should host it yourself. ESPECIALLY if it's going into the thousands. Rather than using an AFK script, which is arguably cheating, to keep a survival world from resetting, why not just host your own server in Endless mode, the mode MADE for hosting servers that go into the thousands?

7 hours ago, Wilhelm King said:

auto detect torch-equiped

1 hour ago, This Heat said:

Someone else did create an auto detect torch/hammer/fire staff/etc. equip mod

Yeah, a user on there asked if it were possible so I made it for him.  Told him to feel free to redistribute if he wants, here's the pastebin: https://pastebin.com/V4Az6txG

It's nothing too fancy, but seemed helpful to the user which he modified to use TheNet:Say and have it broadcast to people in the chat instead of having his local client have it printed above his character's head.  This is a customcommands.lua "mod", so if it looks weird that's because it's designed for that as a quick prototype.  If anyone wants to make it into a workshop mod then go for it; I have no plans on doing it myself.

The blacklist part is for if you have trusted people and you want them to not alert you of the items being used in question, using their KleiID as a discriminator.  Yes that's my KleiID there as an example, commented out.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

Everyone would acknowledge that to have a long-lasting server, you should host it yourself. ESPECIALLY if it's going into the thousands. Rather than using an AFK script, which is arguably cheating, to keep a survival world from resetting, why not just host your own server in Endless mode, the mode MADE for hosting servers that go into the thousands?

I'm not going to go into the morality or ethics related to the activity on this server, but I've taken to having it akin to someone making a rather elaborate sand castle on a public beach.  It's free territory to do and make what you want provided you aren't doing illegal activities.

At any time if 5 or more people decide that they're going to destroy the sum creative works of these people, and are able to all get on at the same time, then there's nothing that can be done against these actors.  There's a sort of an allure of having an "endless" server that could be deconstructed at any time by outside forces; a danger.  This wouldn't exist if it were self hosted where someone would have the power to do something against malicious actors.

As for the AFK script, cheating or not, I'm all for bettering peoples' educations.  Just think how much the person probably learned and used their mind creating this script for a server in a game that will at some point be all for naught.  The only remaining thing would be the knowledge gained from making such a thing, and I see this as a good thing overall.

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

There's already high demand for fresh public worlds. Klei official servers in particular, since they usually have good connection.

I don't see a high demand for fresh public worlds. There are a lot of dedicated servers from the Don't Starve Together (DST) Steam group which are even better than the Klei servers, because there are often Admins handling griefers and putting them on a ban list for all their servers (you can also report them, if there is no admin online) or exhorting players if they use bad language or making stress. You can always find some fresh servers of this group and their range of connection is as good as the Klei ones, you can even play in bigger groups as they all have 12 or 18 slots.

5 hours ago, Electroely said:

I don't think the server should be kept going at such a high count. There's already high demand for fresh public worlds. Klei official servers in particular, since they usually have good connection. Whether done intentionally or not, an AFK script player is in fact keeping the world hostage. Public survival servers normally reset when a player joins to die when it's empty to start over on a fresh world. Survival mode has been like that for as long as I've played. A public server might go into a year or two through the players' decision to keep playing rather than starting over, but it's generally very rare for it to beyond that. Everyone would acknowledge that to have a long-lasting server, you should host it yourself. ESPECIALLY if it's going into the thousands. Rather than using an AFK script, which is arguably cheating, to keep a survival world from resetting, why not just host your own server in Endless mode, the mode MADE for hosting servers that go into the thousands?

Sure there may be a high demand for fresh Klei worlds but the point I was making is that there exists a demand for long lasting Klei worlds as well; enough of a demand to warrant the world lasting for 6.6k+ days. As I’ve said there are countless players who joined as strangers and decided to stay for hundreds to thousands of days because they found this long lasting server entertaining enough; surely this is proof enough that the demand for such a world exists. Regarding the player using the afk mod there is no way for other players to stop him from doing so whether they condone such a thing or not; if you feel strongly about the use of afk mods in public servers you should contact this person directly. However, I can assure you that this one player using the afk mod is not the reason that this server survived for so long. There are always other active players in the game with him; if he was the sole player who wished to continue the server, the world would’ve reset by now through a regen vote.

The reason why these players seem to enjoy playing in a long lasting Klei server as opposed to an endless/private server is perhaps because Klei servers provide a fast paced and chaotic environment that is much more interesting than an endless or private server. Things are constantly changing around the world and Klei servers get much more traffic than endless/private servers which allow players to meet and interact with many new people. By having such a server last for so long allows people to become friends with the strangers they meet; I certainly made many new friends by playing in this server.

1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

Yeah, a user on there asked if it were possible so I made it for him.  Told him to feel free to redistribute if he wants, here's the pastebin: https://pastebin.com/V4Az6txG

It's nothing too fancy, but seemed helpful to the user which he modified to use TheNet:Say and have it broadcast to people in the chat instead of having his local client have it printed above his character's head.  This is a customcommands.lua "mod", so if it looks weird that's because it's designed for that as a quick prototype.  If anyone wants to make it into a workshop mod then go for it; I have no plans on doing it myself.

The blacklist part is for if you have trusted people and you want them to not alert you of the items being used in question, using their KleiID as a discriminator.  Yes that's my KleiID there as an example, commented out.

For years now people have complained on Steam and Klei forums about the griefer pub problem and Klei themselves did nothing - actually what could one say when even the DST Trailer has a Willow griefer; Steam Workshop is full of all-kinds of loco mods yet the above has never been touched upon 'till now. Finally a rudimentary Client-side mod that at least underlines what players might be doing in said pubs pops and yet... is for a handful of players with questionable tactics regarding Klei pubs. What can I say... :)

4 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

is for a handful of players with questionable tactics regarding Klei pubs. What can I say... :)

It's right there in the pastebin link.  Anyone could use it if they wanted to.  I just can't be bothered to making it into a more valid workshop-styled mod as it would take cleaning up the code, creating an icon, using that tool which takes a bit to load when you've published mods before to upload it, then clean up the workshop page to be more Steam friendly than in-game DST panel friendly.  It's a pain.

7 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Steam Workshop is full of all-kinds of loco mods yet the above has never been touched upon 'till now.

All mods created are done at the bequest of the creator, mostly uncompensated for.  If you see a problem and feel inclined to make a mod to fix it, then go for it.  Me personally, I've made quite a few mods for anyone to use to stop things I found annoying on the workshop.

Oh well, no biggie (minus the sarcasm), at least there's a start-point towards a non-spammy specific-action announcer regarding what players equip on hand-slot. I guess I should take upon me the task of finding a programmer to first translate in Layman's terms what your mod actually does and how depicts information on screen in relation to what and how I would find useful to know in pubs regarding potential griefers and... all that you enumerated to bring about a functional well-made Workshop Mod. Ty for at least making that code public :encouragement:

On 2/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, JoSmoCoolStuf said:

Sidoldi launched some flares to celebrate the new Klei server World Record around day 6620.

5e4bb0826f4d0_WorldRecord.thumb.png.e573601019b8fc64278fe43f6608e607.png

Woah this picture have so much ancient technology. Look at this single glimpse of the base. Well, I mark it with number for anything I can find.

5e4bb0814ebaf_WorldRecord.png.d1732d7c26e3ef2ee50389f956c4abdf.png.thumb.jpg.f321ba494a9a7d76c83ba1a6a58c8cae.jpg

Number 1: Is that stacked drying racks? I’ve seen normal drying rack skin and also butcher’s rack skin overlapping each other. Take a look at this individual skin.

rack.jpg.c415c8cc06312daff59c2836e4331154.jpg5e4cebd35ea4e_ScreenShot2020-02-19at08_30_46.png.8c1fafedfebe4a02fc367694f7fee2ba.png

well, compared to that number 1, we can see it clearly, 2 racks in a single space of rack placement. What a beautiful method to not only preserve meat, but also preserve space :encouragement:

Number 2: Mini sign on ice box and salt box. Well until now I cant place a mini sign exactly center like that :lol: That mini sign can be viewed 360 degree right? And also one of the mini sign have a deerclops eyeball drawing on there. Im so curious what inside it.

Number 3: A masonry oven and winter feast table. Thats a building that will never can be crafted if we play DST nowadays. Well, probably we could, but we have to wait until next winter feast event. Such a rare buildings.

Number 4: A lot amout of evil flowers. This one is probably I know, If we wear bee queen crown, and stand in the center of that, our sanity will be quickly restored. Still thats a very nice design. Mushlight on the center, glowcap on the edge, and bee queen crown chest next to it. Neat!

Number 5: The heart and pentagon. I dont know what to say about this. A perfectly symmetrical heart shaped sculpture and also perfectly symmetrical pentagon shaped houndious shootious. By just looking at that, it makes me smile and feel a peace. Wait, no! this cant be real life sanity restoration building! :o ... isn’t it?

Well, only in this single image, I can found alot of technology used in this world. My next question will be, what’s in the south of base? What about north of base? east? and west? and what about cave? Such technology waiting to be unravel one by one!

So, I finally went to check this server out and.... I don't see what the problem with it is. It looks like the spawn was walled off under the guise of a maze, but it actually is a maze that can be completed. Yeah, it's a little rude to have such an elaborate and mandatory maze at the start like that, but the server isn't actually being held hostage. So I'm not seeing the harm in it.

I too hopped in the server for a bit. When I joined and talked, someone was nice enough to offer picking me up. It was laggy topside, natural given the world length. Combine that with the maze and you really don't even need players nor an afk mod anymore to keep it going. The way I see it, griefers have run rampant on Klei servers since forever with freedom and no accountability. I consider this as a bit of a victory for the other side ;)

I think the critics of this server/achievement need to do a little introspection. People sometimes feel bad for not being a part of something great so they grasp at straws to ridicule it. Or do it just because they simply dislike change. Try not to be that person

Turning a regular Klei official server that probably never gets past 100 days into a creative and unique experience for many, is a feat worth praise and congrats. Imagine the amount of players who felt a greater sense of purpose playing on it to keep the world from resetting. Hijacking (poor/inaccurate word), lack of servers (tons of other dedicated servers with identical settings.ping), or automation mods (something the guidelines have nothing against and it's just a matter of every player's personal preference) don't really hold up as strong arguments but that might triple this comment in length.

Bottom line, I'd bet this server enhanced the experience of 10x more players than those it didnt. And that's what matters. So, a well deserved kudos and congrats to all involved at hitting 6k

I don't see anything wrong with this in principle, as long as the people sustaining the server aren't being hostile to newcomers or constantly filling all of the server slots so no one else can get in at all. I tootled around on it for a couple hours this evening, without having visited before, and while there was indeed a maze around the portal it wasn't inescapable or deadly - there was a sign specifically telling people not to put tentacles in it - and it had a dragonfly furnace in the centre for a permanent light source. (It was also made of moonrock and thulecite walls, not something like fossils that can only be destroyed with a hammer, so a sufficiently patient player could bludgeon their way out instead of solving the puzzle in the intended way.) I joined in summer and made a flippant comment about whether overheating would get me before I found the way out, and a Wortox popped over and gave me a thermal stone before I took more than a couple points of damage. Then after I wandered around looking for grass for several days and got insta-killed by walking too close to a beefalo herd that I didn't realise was in heat because they were all continuously trying to run into the sea, the same player took me to the base to revive me.

There was one jerk who teleported a newer player to the Dragonfly arena/varg farm under the pretense that the base was over there; I told them that was mean and followed them to the area to try and mitigate the damage, but the newbie didn't end up dying so I suppose it could have turned out worse.

If I wanted to play on an ordinary Klei server, I could have played on any of the others instead; there were four or five available, like Spiders and Such and Catch that Splumonkey. They weren't full. I don't think I've ever seen all of the Klei servers full at the same time, even during NA peak hours.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:00 PM, Spicy Eggplant said:

Number 1: Is that stacked drying racks? I’ve seen normal drying rack skin and also butcher’s rack skin overlapping each other. Take a look at this individual skin.

well, compared to that number 1, we can see it clearly, 2 racks in a single space of rack placement. What a beautiful method to not only preserve meat, but also preserve space :encouragement:

Number 2: Mini sign on ice box and salt box. Well until now I cant place a mini sign exactly center like that :lol: That mini sign can be viewed 360 degree right? And also one of the mini sign have a deerclops eyeball drawing on there. Im so curious what inside it.

Number 3: A masonry oven and winter feast table. Thats a building that will never can be crafted if we play DST nowadays. Well, probably we could, but we have to wait until next winter feast event. Such a rare buildings.

Number 4: A lot amout of evil flowers. This one is probably I know, If we wear bee queen crown, and stand in the center of that, our sanity will be quickly restored. Still thats a very nice design. Mushlight on the center, glowcap on the edge, and bee queen crown chest next to it. Neat!

Number 5: The heart and pentagon. I dont know what to say about this. A perfectly symmetrical heart shaped sculpture and also perfectly symmetrical pentagon shaped houndious shootious. By just looking at that, it makes me smile and feel a peace. Wait, no! this cant be real life sanity restoration building! :o ... isn’t it?

1. If two or more people start building a structure (time wherein the hands are moving around but not structure is placed yet) at the same time, then they override the validity checks for collision and ultimately lets you stack multiple structures in the same spot.

2. Minisigns on the same coordinates of any other prefab will render right in front of the prefab at any yaw angle.

3, 4. Yes.

5. Bone fossils may be placed at any precise coordinate, so using two you have two circles of collision with perfect placement that you can use to move your player into a perfect position to use a force drop mod to drop the statues exactly where you're at.  Thus, perfect statue placement through indirection.

18 hours ago, persiantsq said:

That's a walled off touchstone......

I'm really curious what you used tho. looks like burnt endtables and a fossil. Cud anybody tell me what it is?

They are End Tables (Dragonfly Endtable skin).

Today I explored the cave base. Didn't even know there is a big base underground too. I especially liked this here:

DST-Server-Cave.jpg

Archived