Sign in to follow this  
asveron

Question about steam geyser / map from returning player.

Recommended Posts

asveron    28

Hi I noticed steam geysers now get continuously hotter (130c +) and spread heat throughout the asteroid.

Can anyone explain how this works? I remember geysers would pump ~105c steam and stop when its full.

I've also noticed that some people are saying the map generation has changed.

Does anyone know what it has changed? (I'm wondering if I should start a new colony).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1449

There are two different steam geysers.  One is a "Cool Steam Vent" and the other is a "Steam Geyser."  The "Cool Steam Vent" is fairly close to the condensation point of water, thus "cool."  The other could be labeled "Hot" because the steam comes out at much higher temperatures.  If you click on your steam geyser while it is erupting, it will tell you the temperature the steam is coming out.

1 hour ago, asveron said:

I've also noticed that some people are saying the map generation has changed.

Does anyone know what it has changed? (I'm wondering if I should start a new colony).

I don't know when you last played, but.. what they're talking about now is that the map search tool "Tools Not Included" does not contain accurate results for the current build.  The algorithm that builds a "random" map from a particular seed has changed somehow, so the old seeds listed in "Tools Not Included" will not generate the way they did when they were first logged.  Don't worry -- the database will be built back up again eventually.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asveron    28
46 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

There are two different steam geysers.  One is a "Cool Steam Vent" and the other is a "Steam Geyser."  The "Cool Steam Vent" is fairly close to the condensation point of water, thus "cool."  The other could be labeled "Hot" because the steam comes out at much higher temperatures.  If you click on your steam geyser while it is erupting, it will tell you the temperature the steam is coming out.

I don't know when you last played, but.. what they're talking about now is that the map search tool "Tools Not Included" does not contain accurate results for the current build.  The algorithm that builds a "random" map from a particular seed has changed somehow, so the old seeds listed in "Tools Not Included" will not generate the way they did when they were first logged.  Don't worry -- the database will be built back up again eventually.

Thanks for the info. Do you know how a cool steam vent erupting 110c steam eventually turns all it's surrounding to 140c+?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KittenIsAGeek    1449
Just now, asveron said:

Thanks for the info. Do you know how a cool steam vent erupting 110c steam eventually turns all it's surrounding to 140c+?

Without screenshots or a save, ... nope.  Maybe there's something else hot in the area.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
asveron    28
3 minutes ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

Without screenshots or a save, ... nope.  Maybe there's something else hot in the area.

 

Oh Ic. There's super hot obsidian (600c) bellow it. I just realized volcanea doesn't just mean you find more metal geysers. There's literally super hot biomes around. I thought the geysers behaved differently, Hope I find a hydrogen cooler thingy in a ice biome soon.

Edited by asveron
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this