ONI multiplayer

Hello guys, its my first post. I played this cool game as allways with my friend, and he said : "hey dude, can we play a miltiplayer NOI maybe?" i was small confused 'cuz i never seen a mods like this, but this idea seemed not bad. This is a concept: u can play with max 4 friends, u just adding them to your lobby and all of u chosing a colour of your calony. All spawn at random places on asteroid and have their own dublicants wich have a Shorts with colour of colony (if your calony red, all of Shorts will be red.). Dublicantes will obey only their player, and they can sleep only on their calony bed like example. its will be a lot of fun and new experience, i really belive that some crazy but very cool modder will read it (if u dev please, dont say thats this idea sh*t and you never add this in ONI, better just keep silent or say BOBONANA)

PLs say some thing, anything! u can say TROLOLO or FUSHASHA i dont know, just comment pls

10 hours ago, AlexRu1111 said:

Dublicantes will obey only their player, and they can sleep only on their calony bed like example

If beds are player specific, then what about other buildings like wires and pipes? Could player 1 build a generator and batteries, and player 2 connect his machines to it? Could player 1 then deconstruct those machines or wires if he wanted?

Completely shared ONI game play is one things, but when you try to separate this into separate ownership, things become complicated.

5 hours ago, yoakenashi said:

If beds are player specific, then what about other buildings like wires and pipes? Could player 1 build a generator and batteries, and player 2 connect his machines to it? Could player 1 then deconstruct those machines or wires if he wanted?

Completely shared ONI game play is one things, but when you try to separate this into separate ownership, things become complicated.

This is A problem. But we can do A modes like DST, friendly or Hard, in hard nobody cant help to other, like Red cant connect to Blue guys. In friendship Mode u can build one but really beg base. Any way i Will play hard) 

5 hours ago, AlexRu1111 said:

I said that only 4 max People can play at one lobby

Sry bruh with only four players you can not even pull a dead herring from a cat.

7 hours ago, Gurgel said:

And that would be a nice number for a Battle Royale setting!

I would call it a good start!

It could offer even more multiplayer options for ONI too, like hot seat, where up to 64 players swap seats in front of one gaming rig, could work mobile too!
A whole bus filled with passengers, could play ONI together at once, with one smartphone in local lan (bluetooth)!
Perhaps different teams from different bus routes could play against other different teams from different bus routes.

I would not focus too much at flying buses for now with the lan developement, because i see no chance with any flexible enough lan cables, to setup teams for more then 100 cycles.
For helicopters it could work, they are not so fast.
On bicycle it would be problematic too and i see only little chances for surfers.

Klei wake up, take the chancesz!

On 2/15/2020 at 5:59 AM, AlexRu1111 said:

Hello guys, its my first post. I played this cool game as allways with my friend, and he said : "hey dude, can we play a miltiplayer NOI maybe?" i was small confused 'cuz i never seen a mods like this, but this idea seemed not bad. This is a concept: u can play with max 4 friends, u just adding them to your lobby and all of u chosing a colour of your calony. All spawn at random places on asteroid and have their own dublicants wich have a Shorts with colour of colony (if your calony red, all of Shorts will be red.). Dublicantes will obey only their player, and they can sleep only on their calony bed like example. its will be a lot of fun and new experience, i really belive that some crazy but very cool modder will read it (if u dev please, dont say thats this idea sh*t and you never add this in ONI, better just keep silent or say BOBONANA)

PLs say some thing, anything! u can say TROLOLO or FUSHASHA i dont know, just comment pls

This idea pops up every so often.  Klei has stated that this isn't a goal they're going to work towards, so if anything multiplayer happens, it'll have to be from the users.  

However, there are a huge number of problems with taking a game like ONI into multiplayer.  The first problem you have to work around is data sharing.  With your particular variant, this could be taken care of by having one of the 4 be a server and the other 3 clients.  The second is the extra load on whichever system is going to be the server.  ONI is already a resource hog.  Most systems have a difficult time when the number of duplicants gets to a certain point and you're asking to basically have 12 starting dupes (3 dupes each for 4 players), add extra client requests and responses, and stream enough data from the game engine to draw each player's position on their client screens at decent FPS.  I'm not saying its impossible, I'm just saying that its a huge problem.

You'll also have to account for exceptions, such as "what happens if two players both try to wrangle the same critter?"  What about three?  Which player gets dibs on wild plants that drop food?  Who owns the meat when a tamed hatch dies?  Wild hatch?  Is the current map large enough to handle 4 different starting biomes?  Will the server computer be able to handle a larger map?

I would like to be able to have multiple people work together on one colony, working together.  This style of multiplayer requires no change to gameplay.  ONI gameplay would not hurt by latency and streaming the data required to show whats in front of the the camera would be easy. 

I would even use this alone, as I could have multiple clients open to watch my separate projects.

12 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I would even use this alone, as I could have multiple clients open to watch my separate projects.

You already have this form of "multiplayer" through steam streaming.  All you need to do is figure out how to unbind the connected streaming devices so that they have independent screen movement.

5 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

You already have this form of "multiplayer" through steam streaming.  All you need to do is figure out how to unbind the connected streaming devices so that they have independent screen movement.

We don't have this.  First of all, steam streaming doesn't know about the game, so the uncoupling would have to be done in the game.  Second, it is a screen-share, so it would use a lot more bandwidth than simply sending the information required to make what's on the screen. 

So no, we really do not have this.

1 minute ago, Zarquan said:

We don't have this. 

Mhh sry bro, i can not share your point of view, perhaps it's OS related, because i did today a quick test on my main bus line and for me it worked up to 17% (bad weather conditions and birds reduced efficiency of test results by accident).

Here are the passengers with fake stream oxygen not included multiplayer network setup.

happy.jpg.35b16ff5f6f0030071e8778467b21994.jpg

Here are the passengers without fake stream oxygen not included multiplayer network setup

.5e4af303e164d_withoutoni.jpg.94a8bad476e642662c377f1be5724bb9.jpg

I think anyone out there can see how much social impact ONI multiplayer could have!

The information required to make what's on the screen for ONI is .. massive.  At 1080 resolution I have 72x40 cells.  Each cell can contain multiple things (oxygen, ladder, gas pipe, liquid pipe, shipping rail, electric wire, debris (multiple stacks), critters, dupes)... Each object in the cell has its own attributes such as mass, temperature, etc.  Many of those attributes are updated multiple times per second, and many of the attributes are necessary for drawing the screen.  If you're wanting to pass all that information to the clients, you're going to quickly run into a bottleneck.

For example, lets say that you're up at the top of the map working on a rocket.  The main player is at the bottom of the map playing with oil wells.  You're working in two unrelated areas of the map, so there's going to be continual swapping from memory to cache.  The first swap is going to be for running the necessary calculations.  The second swap will be to send the data over the network interface to whomever player 2 is.  You're also going to have to waste CPU time compressing the data before sending it on the network, otherwise you're going to bog everyone down with gigabytes of data.  The third swap will be to construct what player 1 sees.  This memory bottleneck is one reason why faster memory is a bigger performance boost than CPU speed for late-game ONI maps -- and you're wanting to increase that bandwidth load?

IMHO it would be FAR more economical, performance-wise, to have the main machine use the GPU to create a map-sized virtual display, then simply stream the visual data for wherever the players are looking rather than sending the data out to clients to construct their own displays.  Most modern GPUs have video compression/decompression circuits already, so the CPU would only need to worry about passing the stream data to the network.  

34 minutes ago, Squeegee said:

if you could somehow launch rockets to other player's bases and maybe trade 

Hypothetical future: ONI allows trading between bases and two minutes later players are inundated with trade requests. "5 tons steel, $5!!"  "Gimme super coolant! Plzkthx!" "Why aren't you helping me?"  ... ONI reverses patch allowing trades and everyone breathes a collective sigh of relief.

Archived