Self Charged Wx? Potential wx rework ideas?

Honestly the whole eating gears thing is meh to me.

Outside of a larger health pool to make tanking more viable, i've never felt the stat boosts were really that big of a deal.

So you ate all those gears, maxed your stats, and if for example you are on the edge of going crazy your gonna need 10 green caps to max your sanity back out. You just finished tanking and taking huge damage, your gonna burn through that stack of healing salves/honey poultices.

I'm not saying its a BAD thing, but while maintaining your stats takes the same amount of resources over time, if you let them drop you are gonna need a heck of a lot of resources all at once to fill everything back up.

To me it just makes the whole idea of eating gears seem inconsequential in the long run. Granted I do it, once we have our fridges, any flings we need, and now weather panes. But its more of a "well, we just finished a nice ruins run, we dont really need these gears for anything in particular, I guess i'll eat them" situation.

I think WX could take a more RPG-ish direction, like crafting different modules that grant different perks and weaknesses, completely overriding his original perks. Like a Module that changes what eating gears affect, and another module that changes what being overcharged affect. By default he will behave mostly as he is now, but installing a module will make you drop all the gears you had, and any charge you had before.

His wetness con could be increased accordingly with how wet he is: The more wetness he has the more damage he takes, up to 5 or 6 per tic which would be a lot of damage.

EG: 

Possible changes to what do eating gears affect, instead of boosting stats. Can only pick one. They still require you to eat the same amount of gears to be fully upgraded and reach the cap:

• Increased natural resistance to all damage, up to a 35% cap
  • Increased time each lightning keeps him overcharged, decreased penalty of consecutive strikes, up to +100% of overcharged time.
  • Increased resistance to wetness, up to 80% at cap
  • Increased internal insulation, allowing him to keep thermals at the specified temperature for longer (up to 100% more time) and food from spoiling inside his body inventory up to 50% more time.

Possible changes to what being overcharged affects instead of the speed and resistance to freezing (The light I'd keep it, as its sort of a trademark to show that he is overcharged). Can only pick one:

• Fighter charged module: Deals extra (up to 50%) more damage in electrical damage (stacks with Warly's foods), can also briefly stun lock most enemies that melee attack him by electrocuting them like in the forge.
  • Healer charged module: Passively restores HP and sanity at a slow rate (like 5 sanity and hp every minute). His glow also restores any ally within reach some hp and sanity (the glow has a very tiny radius)
  • Builder Charged module: Can pick up items instantly, craft most alchemy engine items with a discount, his glow makes most plants within radius grow faster, and is immune to overheating.
  • All-or-nothing charged module: Can trade all his charge for a brief full power unleash; for just 10 seconds he emits a lot more light, becomes 100% immune to all damage, runs faster and deals 100% more electrical damage, but after those 10 seconds, no matter how much charge he had before, he will get depleted and lose charge. This power requires a cooldown to use again, even if he gets charged once more instantly. (It could be an ingame half a day, or so)
  • etc...

Better modules require harder to obtain items, like green or yellow gems. Changing modules makes you lose some of your gears and your charge.

TL;DR: The basic Idea is that even if 4 Wxs are on the same server, the combination of perks they have is completely different due to their selected modules. And it is discouraged to be switching modules often.

Its a basic draft of an idea anyway, it would certainly require a lot more fine tuning.

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

TL;DR: The basic Idea is that even if 4 Wxs are on the same server, the combination of perks they have is completely different due to their selected modules. And it is discouraged to be switching modules often.

I like the idea of WX being just the argueably flexible character with certain things they can improve on making you able to play them mutiple times with different stats

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I said before but when i was starting to play dont starve and WX was release i though that his perk "upgrade by eating gears" means that he changes in the way you said (to be exact i though he will obtain tools like inspector gadget: axe arm, shovel arm, etc) and i thing this kind of mechanics fits a lot with the character and the way that characters are getting perks with the refreshes. Its so much fun than just being almost inmortal

22 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

I like the idea of WX being just the argueably flexible character with certain things they can improve on making you able to play them mutiple times with different stats

Yeah, I was thinking that instead of making WX a "jack of all trades" like woodie is, your choices would matter and depending your playstyle, your WX will behave differently.  And since you can combine  those 2 modules as you want (the choice of what gears do, and the choice of what being overcharged does) its basically like having a bunch of new characters in one. A blank slate that you personalize as you progress in the game.

27 minutes ago, thetricker1 said:

I said before but when i was starting to play dont starve and WX was release i though that his perk "upgrade by eating gears" means that he changes in the way you said (to be exact i though he will obtain tools like inspector gadget: axe arm, shovel arm, etc) and i thing this kind of mechanics fits a lot with the character and the way that characters are getting perks with the refreshes. Its so much fun than just being almost inmortal

to prevent the OP side again, I was also thinking that maybe each module could add new cons or weaknesses, like, if you pick the "deal more damage when overcharged" perk you take even more damage from wetness making it extremely dangerous, and make gears not restore HP, forcing you to have to think what the gears module will do for you to compensate that (and thus, losing some other cool perk that you could instead put there). Or if you pick the "restores HP and sanity passively while overcharged" module you also gain an increased hunger...

I dont know, I didn't give it much thought about the cons, but it could make WX a very in depth character mostly aimed for late game and to plan how you want him to be.

For a WX rework I hope they remove the ability to eat gears, it's just another mechanic that doesn't really work in a multiplayer environment. You either ask permission to eat some gears in a chest or you forcefully eat them without a word and hinder everyone. That one idea of socketing gems (from another WX rework post) seemed like it could be really fun and offer unique benefits depending on which gem is socketed, and since gems are rather renewable via caves, I think the idea would suit multiplayer better. (Yeah, gears are technically renewable with tumbleweeds, with a 1% chance.)

I do like the ability to eat spoiled foods and getting charged from lightning strikes, those work fine, but please give us a real downside. Being hurt by water is the best example of minor inconvenience, and even helps you if you're sparking at night. If they want to make the wetness downside significant, what about a rusting mechanic that temporarily caps your stats? 

image.png.76c5ee4a3636928111687763fc6769a4.png

Just my two cents on the piece. Happy Valentine's day ya'll.:wilson_love:

8 hours ago, Axelocke said:

That one idea of socketing gems (from another WX rework post) seemed like it could be really fun

Woah there is? I had the same little idea with wx being able to insert gems into his body parts to gain upgrades, i will list them below :

Orange gem - would allow wx to have a side arm cannon that can have to around 10 uses of blasting out a fireball that deals perhaps 100 dmg per fireball.

Yellow gem - would allow wx to have a protective energy barrier when in danger that would return the damage to the enemy while also giving a little speed boost when activated.

Green gem - would allow wx to gain caterpillar tank tracks, to move faster while also killing small things in the process of running them over, like butterflies, rabbits, moleworms. The speed boost could be like a walking cane but a little faster, not something extremely fast like maxed wolf with magiluminesence and cane.

Purple gem - would allow wx to produce toxic/sleeping gas out of his mouth in order to put enemies to sleep, or create a cloud of toxic chemicals that would deal damage over time. You could only choose one, either sleeping gas in case of emergency, or toxic cloud for letsay group a of hounds or pigs.

Blue gem - would allow wx to have a frosty artillery, and by that he could shoot a gigantic icicle out of his chest that you can point towards a location on screen that deals aoe damage and freezes all enemies caught in the radius of the blast.

Red gem - would allow wx to gain a little health boost with aura circle around him, healing him and his allies that are standing next to him, he could also use it as a one time ,,medkit" by shooting a small laser beam into an ally to returning them to full hp but destorying the red gem in the process. He could only use the full hp gem sacrifice on an ally, not himself.

I know these ideas sound abit clunky or overpowered but i think the gem upgrades i mentioned should be temporary to not cross any lines, like a couple of days if not shorter. I also had a little idea of wx having a crafting tab of his where the only thing that could be a craftable structure would be his own little upgrade/repair station, in which after building would give all the possible upgrades of the gems and maybe corrosion removal made by rain moisture and wetness like @Axelocke said about the handicap with wx rusting from rain.

8 hours ago, Axelocke said:

what about a rusting mechanic that temporarily caps your stats? 

Tell me guys what you think. Is it okay or meh? I'm not really the brightest person when it comes to ideas but i figured i might throw my bet on this topic.

16 hours ago, Lammarr said:

You need to teleport a living creature with the telelocator staff in order to charge yourself. Also,you can use enraged mooselings for charges.

It lasts for like ten seconds. Something viable please that doesn't require 70 purple gems to get three days charge.

25 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Orange gem - would allow wx to have a side arm cannon that can have to around 10 uses of blasting out a fireball that deals perhaps 100 dmg per fireball.

Yellow gem - would allow wx to have a protective energy barrier when in danger that would return the damage to the enemy while also giving a little speed boost when activated.

Green gem - would allow wx to gain caterpillar tank tracks, to move faster while also killing small things in the process of running them over, like butterflies, rabbits, moleworms. The speed boost could be like a walking cane but a little faster, not something extremely fast like maxed wolf with magiluminesence and cane.

Purple gem - would allow wx to produce toxic/sleeping gas out of his mouth in order to put enemies to sleep, or create a cloud of toxic chemicals that would deal damage over time. You could only choose one, either sleeping gas in case of emergency, or toxic cloud for letsay group a of hounds or pigs.

These don't line up with the aspects of their respective gems. Maybe the yellow one could, but that's really pushing the aspect of light.

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

It lasts for like ten seconds. Something viable please that doesn't require 70 purple gems to get three days charge.

So you want something 'viable'? You either get a Wickerbottom teammate or make a mooselings pen which requires host privilege or teammates that are willing to rollback in order to keep those mooselings year-round,i'm not sure if that bug still works,but i recommend searching for some videos about it.

13 hours ago, Lammarr said:

So you want something 'viable'? You either get a Wickerbottom teammate or make a mooselings pen which requires host privilege or teammates that are willing to rollback in order to keep those mooselings year-round,i'm not sure if that bug still works,but i recommend searching for some videos about it.

Wx doesn't need to be able to reliably charge himself up, just get a Wicker in your game or use exploits! 

23 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Wx doesn't need to be able to reliably charge himself up, just get a Wicker in your game or use exploits! 

So you want WX-78's most broken abilitiy to be buffed,in a way that's not situational and doesn't require cooperation in order to become viable in a co-op game?

Just look how unbalanced WX-78 is in the Hamlet DLC with those thunderbirds and rethink what you just said.

5 hours ago, Lammarr said:

So you want WX-78's most broken abilitiy to be buffed,in a way that's not situational and doesn't require cooperation in order to become viable in a co-op game?

Just look how unbalanced WX-78 is in the Hamlet DLC with those thunderbirds and rethink what you just said.

This is not a competitive game. The whole point of the reworks is to make the characters new/better quality of life abilities. WX is one of the strongest characters, yes, but without a Wickerbottom he is just a spoiled food disposal bin. Woodie can scout, chop down forests and tank bosses now. All he needs is some monster meat and grass/seeds/logs. I'm not saying it should be easy, just not so reliant on one member of the cast out of the 12+ playable characters. Max number of players on console is 6, and I almost never encounter a Wickerbottom. I agree that synergies should be strong and worthwhile, but maybe let's give our potato-bot a reliable source of overcharging himself. I'd be happy if they just made it so a charged volt goat could give him charge.

8 hours ago, Gourmand said:

This is not a competitive game. The whole point of the reworks is to make the characters new/better quality of life abilities. WX is one of the strongest characters, yes, but without a Wickerbottom he is just a spoiled food disposal bin. Woodie can scout, chop down forests and tank bosses now. All he needs is some monster meat and grass/seeds/logs. I'm not saying it should be easy, just not so reliant on one member of the cast out of the 12+ playable characters. Max number of players on console is 6, and I almost never encounter a Wickerbottom. I agree that synergies should be strong and worthwhile, but maybe let's give our potato-bot a reliable source of overcharging himself. I'd be happy if they just made it so a charged volt goat could give him charge.

I must agree on WX-78 not depending on Wickerbottom to be a good character,but i don't think giving more ways of charging himself is the right way to make him an interessting character.

The whole point of reworks is fleshing out a character's personality,giving them new unique and fun abilities,and in some cases changing their playstyle.

The ability itself is pretty poorly balanced,not unique and is not as fun as other character gimmicks,i know the game is not a competitive game,but i assume we can all agree that we require at least some balance between characters and items in order to make it more fun.

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well just so y’all know.. until WX gets his Rework I’m gonna join all your worlds, hammer down all your gear resource giving structures and NOM Down every Gear I see! Muwhahaha

(I’m Not, but I just wanted to say that.)

Okay

Archived