Let's discuss progression one more time (plus randomness)

Do you want progression in dst?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want progression in dst?

2. 2. Do you want more randomness in dst?

3. 3. Would you like progression (and randomness) to also give 'useless' ambiance and atmosphere effects?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't want progression itself
    • I don't want progression but would like more ambiance and stuff

1 minute ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Yeah that sounds alot more interesting and challenging. Would be fun if the disease could also affect our survivors in various ways, maybe not as annoying as hay fever in hamlet, but something that is both deadly and hard to just simply ignore.

Yeah, that could also be neat, i had an idea to give players an incentive to fight the toadstool where mushrooms on the above world sprout poisonous spores, but disease could work in the same way where a diseased plant if left diseased for too long gives the plant an aoe poison cloud around it. 

3 minutes ago, sudoku said:

Yeah, that could also be neat, i had an idea to give players an incentive to fight the toadstool where mushrooms on the above world sprout poisonous spores, but disease could work in the same way where a diseased plant if left diseased for too long gives the plant an aoe poison cloud around it. 

Honestly sky is the limit if the diseases were ever changed/implemented. From rabies given by hounds to brain intoxication of slurpers devouring your head.

9 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Yeah that sounds alot more interesting and challenging. Would be fun if the disease could also affect our survivors in various ways, maybe not as annoying as hay fever in hamlet, but something that is both deadly and hard to just simply ignore.

What is this disease thing you all are talking about?

On 2/13/2020 at 3:30 PM, thetricker1 said:

then teach them. Dude, its like other games, dont go with your lvl80 character with your newbie friend

I want the game to be FUN For My friends without me babysitting over  them all the time. But at the same exact time I want something that can provide a CHALLENGE to ME without them having to die repeatedly in my much harder game world, or me being beyond bored with nothing in their worlds that will challenge me.

(Hence Why Casual & Hardcore Content needs to Co-Exist within the same server..)

The only issue i see with progression based content is time commitment. I dont think its entirely wise for Klei to spend a huge amount of time to flesh out concepts that players will most likely never see. Most pubs do not play for more than a year, which is reasonable since thats like a 4 hour time commitment.

I do think that some progression based content should be developed, but it I think it makes the most sense for those adjustments to be numbers based, with the bulk of the new content being presented as variants that have an equal chance of appearing as their defaults. This way everyone wins. People who play one session a day get the chance to see the new content as well as people who might play multiple sessions a day or have a longstanding world they play on.  

1 hour ago, Electroely said:

Also, for discussing ideas, suggestions, and feedback, there's the Suggestions & Feedback sub-forum.

Yeah I know that. Thing is- not many people visit that (or rather 'this' since mod moved the thread) place. Suggestions and Feedback earned itself a reputation of a place where you go to write something like 'Add Squirels' and that's the entire thread. I wanted to get the attention of many forumers and create an actual discussion.

Just look at the majority of threads present here. 3-5 replies and less than 200 views. How would I know what the community thinks about my idea with a total of 7 people commenting something. Same goes for Klei. They wouldn't know if the community likes this idea or not

3 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

Yeah I know that. Thing is- not many people visit that (or rather 'this' since mod moved the thread) place. Suggestions and Feedback earned itself a reputation of a place where you go to write something like 'Add Squirels' and that's the entire place. I wanted to get the attention of many forumers and create an actual discussion

Yeah its a shame, Suggestions and feedback is where threads go to die, which is unfortunate considering Klei encouraged us to have these discussions in the roadmap itself. 

One of the problems with suggested changes is that no one can agree on them, which in turn shows that they're not ready to be implemented. I think the best way to incorporate change is to do so gradually, which I believe Klei has done amazing at in the past. That being said, I would love new yearly events that change every year; I believe it would give incentive to prepare for the world no matter the base or the time spent in the world. 

Now this is just my opinion on this next part, so please take it with a grain of salt. I would love if the game stayed relatively how it is (in terms of mechanics such as sanity, hunger, fighting, and utility) without change, but rather ADD new changes to the later game itself as to be random for the player each year after year one

15 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Yeah I know that. Thing is- not many people visit that (or rather 'this' since mod moved the thread) place. Suggestions and Feedback earned itself a reputation of a place where you go to write something like 'Add Squirels' and that's the entire thread. I wanted to get the attention of many forumers and create an actual discussion.

Just look at the majority of threads present here. 3-5 replies and less than 200 views. How would I know what the community thinks about my idea with a total of 7 people commenting something. Same goes for Klei. They wouldn't know if the community likes this idea or not

The bulk of your post is a bunch of ideas on how the game can get progression. There's many well written suggestions in the subforum, and I don't think it's fair to say that your ideas shouldn't go here because others write something that seems like "add Squirrels" to you. Maybe your post looks like a long "Add Squirrels" to me, and I'd have my own ideas that I would think need a lot of players to see. (I do have an idea that I think would make the game objectively better (see signature) but I didn't post it in general discussions because that clutters it)

I do think that the sub-forum has a bit of an issue regarding attention, but I feel like the main reason for that is that it's too far down the list of sub-forums. Maybe if it were to be moved to be right below the bug tracker, it'd get more traffic. I think those who are interested in giving feedback would probably frequent this sub-forum. And Klei does look at the sub-forum to see feedback and suggestions. Here's a bit of a recent example:

163 views, 1 reply (at the time of writing). Yet Klei did notice it (one of the reactions to the post was from a developer) and did add Koi as event fish for the lunar new year, probably because they found it to be a good suggestions.

I think the general discussions sub-forum is more suited for general discussions of the game, as in things like balance, strategies, game mechanics, etc. A lot of the posts in the sub-forum currently are player suggestions/feedback that should be in the sub-forum, and I think it makes general discussion topics harder to find. 9 out of the 20 unpinned posts in the front page (at the time of writing) belong in this sub-forum.

Yes, please. I wholly agree that randomness can be used to add an element of progression to DST and would love to see it. Though I believe that randomness in the early game can be beneficial too. Particularly in the worldgen department. After a couple hundred worlds you begin to notice that the worldgen is only somewhat random. It would be nice if the worldgen randomness were a bit more unexpected, but not so extreme that It looks like one of those worlds where the dfly spawns next to spawn, like this:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.066a1a09abc4d392e29d6aa49f5325c4.png

I would suggest that in worldgen they don't always keep so many static things, for instance:

Spoiler

1. Instead of having 2 beefalo fields, one large savanna and another in a evergreen forest have one that is in the middle of a deciduous forest, swampy area, rocky area, desert etc.

2. Instead of dragonfly being in a desert make her in a barren rocky quarry at random.

3. Instead of making the mosaic use green based tiles make it use some red and have deciduous stuff in it.

4. Instead of guaranteeing the world spawns whole make it spawn in a 2 or 3 chunks (islands) at random, but less common.

5. Make pig king spawn his village in any of the other biome presets, maybe at random being surrounded by pig guards in the swamp.

6. More unpredictable chester spawns (they are somewhat unpredictable now, but still are usually easily tracked down by landmarks)

7. Have a even random number wormholes.

8. Random number of cave entrances.

Basically unhinge Points of Interest from their one biome:

POI I could think of off the top of my head:

Spoiler

Pig King

Pig Village

Oasis

Dragonfly

Glommer

Chester

Beefalo

The entirety of the swamp

Meteor zones

19 hours ago, bruhmoment23 said:

@Szczuku The idea and examples you provided are great! But i would like to make some questions about the year rotation. How would moon cycles behave after each year passes? Would they change aswell and be more frequent? Same goes for diseases, wildfires and frog rains. Could there be a somekind of enhanced disease that would affect the world as it progresses?

Well I'm not a game designer. But I don't think that these mechanics need anymore changing. The moon cucles are fine as is and I think that my idea of a creature or… something changing depanding on the moon phase is good enough. Frog rains and wildfires are fine as they are. And diesease is just a boring mechanic. Tbh I always set it to 'never' when creating a new world

Archived