Oxygen Not Included Roadmap February 2020

• Developer

Hello friends!

We haven't posted a roadmap since before launch, so it's about time we got you up to speed on what the future holds for ONI.

Recap

Oxygen Not Included dug its first lump of asteroid in a prototype over 5 years ago. Since that time it's had tens of thousands of additions and changes, from tiny tweaks to game-redefining sweeps. Systems have been added, systems have been removed, systems have been ripped up and rebuilt. With your help in Early Access, we guided the game from a basic thermal sim to an elaborate asteroid-spanning, fart-collecting epic!

Post-launch, we took time to recover and focused on bug fixes and performance for some time, while we figured out what was next for ONI. We feel like the game still has lots of room for growth and improvement, and there are so many ideas we'd like to try out! 

So after a season of prototyping and planning, here's what we're up to:

hard_at_work_sized.jpg

DLC

Most of the team is hard at work right now building a DLC for ONI! 

This DLC is going to be quite sizable, including new game systems and many refinements on the base game. Because we're introducing new systems, we want to take our time to test and iterate our ideas -- and throw out things that aren't working. This approach means that we can't predict when the DLC will be ready, but if everything goes well we'd like to have something to show during the summer, and the release would follow in the autumn after further testing and refinement. 

We had ideas for new systems that we thought would be interesting to add to the game for a while, but because of the incremental nature of Early Access as well as the complexity of the game for new players, we decided not to to make these part of the base game. Putting new features into DLC allows us to more deeply integrate new systems, as well as give new players (or anyone!) an easy way to opt in to additional challenges and facets.

Overall we want to emphasize quality over deadlines, so this represents our plan at this moment. If the timeline changes, we will let you know!

Ongoing Updates and Bug Fixes

While all that happens, we want to make sure we're not ignoring you in the community, and continue to tend to the released version of the game. A portion of the team will still work to address bugs, take in feedback, and make sure the ONI that you are playing today constantly grows and improves.

As well, we want to periodically put out new content into the game in the form of free packs. The first of these was Meep's Recreation Pack in December, and there's another one going into public testing next week!

Unity_2020-02-13_10-23-22.png

Performance

We know that ONI is a beast of a game, and we think we can still get some significant performance improvements out of it. Improving performance gets more challenging as we make progress, and all the obvious and easy things have been done now. We’re now at the stage where we come up with ideas, run experiments, and if the experiment is successful, try to work it into the game without breaking the gameplay.

The going is slow, but we're still hammering away at it, and look forward to releasing performance improvements to you as they happen!

In Summary

All in all, ONI is still fully in development, even if we've been pretty quiet from the outside! We're balancing live support with DLC development, and working to ensure that the DLC makes the game better and not just bigger.

We love this game and we're so glad that you love it too! Thank you so much for all your support and input over the years, and we look forward to working on ONI together with you from here into the future!

OH SNAP!!

soyousay.png.05776c9f722aafebc2f89783d17baccd.png

3 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

and there's another one going into public testing next week!

YOU TEASE!!

Spoiler

You are so lucky that next week just so happens to be Study Break for me, so I don't have to worry about missing out. :wilson_sneaky:

The file name for this:

7 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Unity_2020-02-13_10-23-22.png

Is "Unity_2020-02-13_10-23-22.png" so that was taken today. :wilson_curious:

Shut up and take my money! I already feel like a thief for enjoying this game so much for such a little price! So HAND me that DLC and I will FORK over BUCKETS of cash! :D

Buuuut while we're at the topic: I'm sure you're in desperate need for suggestions what should go into that DLC and let me sumn up everything you need in 3.6 words: Nu Cle Ar! Ever since I watched HBO's chernobyl series, I cannot wait to have my Dupes blow up my very own RBMK!

And now for that screenshot: Ahem... WHAT! IS! THAT! Are these several parallel Automation wires in one line of tiles!? OMG! The possibilities! This change alone is already huge!

Thank you so very much for bringing so much joy with this game! It really deserves more Mainstream Coverage! it's such a tragedy what happened to Brothgar :(

Check the blue cable .... they just make a join cable connection ??? 

2 minutes ago, WafflyNimb said:

Shut up and take my money! I already feel like a thief for enjoying this game so much for such a little price! So HAND me that DLC and I will FORK over BUCKETS of cash! :D

Buuuut while we're at the topic: I'm sure you're in desperate need for suggestions what should go into that DLC and let me sumn up everything you need in 3.6 words: Nu Cle Ar! Ever since I watched HBO's chernobyl series, I cannot wait to have my Dupes blow up my very own RBMK!

And now for that screenshot: Ahem... WHAT! IS! THAT! Are these several parallel Automation wires in one line of tiles!? OMG! The possibilities! This change alone is already huge!

Thank you so very much for bringing so much joy with this game! It really deserves more Mainstream Coverage! it's such a tragedy what happened to Brothgar :(

I hope they adopt the same stuff for the regular electric cables. 

1 hour ago, WafflyNimb said:

I'm sure you're in desperate need for suggestions what should go into that DLC and let me sumn up everything you need in 3.6 words: Nu Cle Ar!

If you guys do implement nuclear energy, please remember we already have steam turbines... using nuclear heat to drive turbines would be the way to go, instead of an all-in-one building where you just slap down a thing and feed it U238 mined from a desert biome and suck out power.

Half the fun of this game is designing complex systems and implementing processes in the end-game, instead of just trying to survive by slapping down buildings in the early game.

Personally, I'd want to see existing buildings be more tunable and useful, like a weight switch that counted the dup + anything carried, a storage that had a radius where items outside that range were not considered for storage, and a temperature-sensitive storage unit where it can be set for specific temperature ranges of stored items.

44 minutes ago, Vuelhering said:

If you guys do implement nuclear energy, please remember we already have steam turbines... using nuclear heat to drive turbines would be the way to go, instead of an all-in-one building where you just slap down a thing and feed it U238 mined from a desert biome and suck out power.

Half the fun of this game is designing complex systems and implementing processes in the end-game, instead of just trying to survive by slapping down buildings in the early game.

Personally, I'd want to see existing buildings be more tunable and useful, like a weight switch that counted the dup + anything carried, a storage that had a radius where items outside that range were not considered for storage, and a temperature-sensitive storage unit where it can be set for specific temperature ranges of stored items.

Nuclear can be implemented fairly seamlessly, as most of the mechanics of nuclear energy already exist. Irradiation can be handled like heat, where items get hot and transfer that heat to things they're touching. A germ could represent tritium, and gamma rays like light. Total dose of each worked out in Rem or some other unit, causing damage to health regen or something like that.

As someone who works in the field, it's 100 percent what I want to see as a DLC. I'd pay 100 bucks for it.

3 hours ago, Vuelhering said:

If you guys do implement nuclear energy, please remember we already have steam turbines... using nuclear heat to drive turbines would be the way to go

You're not wrong, but given how ubiquitous steam turbines already are, I think I'd rather see a dedicated nuclear reactor produce power (in addition to heat, radiation, and radioactive waste).

Archived