Canis

Webber's Rework: How to Make him more of a Monster

Mooagain    2135

I really like these changes, although to balance the night vision I would suggest giving it a small color filter, not as crazy as the moggles, but still something that makes it not look like light. 

Another cool item he could get is a sort of a shadow thurible for spider queens, that would befriend them as long as he holds it. This item would probably be expensive, but it would definitely be fun to use.

• Like 3

4 Da LOLs    3314

I agree up until the sanity loss at day because they still are a child at heart so it would be kinda funny yet logical for the spider boy to be afriad of the dark

also the beefalo thing doesn't make much sense nor is it a good downside for them

honestly I kinda wish that monster jerky would give some other stats like +5 sanity +3 health

natural night vision sounds fun as long as it only activates in darkness and isn't a always visible blemish on your screen

• Like 3

GetRektKids    1016

I like these ideas, there are some faults. Night vision isn't OP but it does help IMMENSELY. I like how you figured out the sanity thing and I like that, but he needs more downfalls. The "Creatures of the Constant don't like you" isn't enough. If you pay attention you can see the spiders quiver to the light

image.png.2a9ddf4aad676a3b0d7afdc26fd86354.png

The spider shields himself from the bright light, I like the sanity drain. That needs to be a feature but I feel like day time there should be a bright filter on the on your screen during the day. Similar to how Wagstaff has a blurry filter on when he doesn't have glasses, it would work like that but it would just be bright during the day. Restricting your vision and draining sanity.

Example: (This is kinda like it, maybe darker.... Edit: Definitely darker, but I'm too lazy to fix it)

image.jpg.ef9008f92b3262571b312758e0add7ff.jpg

Just something to add to the REALISM of being a spider in the constant.

Tell me what you think!

Edit #2: I personally think this is a great idea because it will follow you throughout the ENTIRE game. Even into the late game. Most character's downfalls fall off late game, but this one is to stick around.

5 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Horrible rework, you still need to consider the fact that Webber isn't a monster, he's still just a young human in the body of a spider, or in other words: An Undercover.

Webber wants to be friends with Pigs and others, but he can't because Pigs recognize him as a spider. He doesn't fear the day because he's still a human, he doesn't fear having spiders around him because he knows that they won't hurt him.

Your ideas might fit for a totally new character, but not for Webber. Just because somebody puts a mask on another person doesn't mean that the other person needs to become a horrible monster.

But he is STILL a spider..... Why do you think he can be-friend spiders? Obviously he is human, and spider. Being part spider has its downfalls. He looks like a spider, and his body acts like a spider, but has the mind, mentality, and has the FORM of a human (kinda....)

Edited by GetRektKids
  • Like 3

GetRektKids    1016

4 minutes ago, Frashaw27 said:

Yes it is. Being barred from multiple drops, types of farms, multiple methods of attacking, and having the chance that an entire group of these people can easily kill you is challenging enough. Even with the spider drops, they still don't compare to the drops and benefits you can get from other mobs.

This doesn't put you out of loot. Sure, there should be the Hamlet mask for Webber, but there are many methods of getting around that blockade. You can easily still make a pigskin farm. You can still easily make a Bunnymen farm, you can still easily make a..... You get the point, sure it IS annoying, but I still say the downfall isn't enough for what it is. It doesn't affect you late game, does it?

Edited by GetRektKids
  • Like 1

__IvoCZE__    7392
10 hours ago, Nickolai said:

I do like the nightvision feature, but i would like if it was changed a bit. Remember that he's part human too not just a monster.

Maybe make the vision activate after eating X pieces of monster meat?

• Like 4

GetRektKids    1016

THREE mobs are naturally hostile to Webber, one of those will most likely ALWAYS be hostile to you unless you are a filthy vegan (Just kidding Vegans are pretty dope) SO Bunnymen are out of there. (I play Wigfrid, so Bunnymen are always hostile. If you don't play Wigfrid or Webber, you most likely have meat on you.) That leaves Catcoons, and Pigs..... Catcoons? Really? The only thing they are SLIGHTLY good for is a butterfly farm, and that's if you base in the Mosiac biome. So, Catcoons are also OUT OF THERE! That leaves Pigs. 

So you are saying that mobs of the constant is a good downside because it roots you out of (MAINLY) One mob? No. Not really, and IF you have friends (I don't :() You can get them to help you otherwise, you can still kill them and trap them. Still leaving farming opportunities.

So I think that the downside just isn't enough. That's why I created a new one. (Scroll up a bit)

@Frashaw27

The reason I @'d you was because the edit button wasn't working.....

Edited by GetRektKids
  • Like 1

Nickolai    1110
8 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Webbing" from Wurt

that part really isnt a valid argument, webbed turf is nothing like Wurt's swamp turf. The turf slows down enemies and mobs, which swamp turf doesn't. Webbed turf wouldn't be annoying in multiplayer since you can just craft a pitchfork and dig it up. With webbed turf you can make hound traps more useful since it would slow them down and guarantee to have the hound get hit instead of then skipping a few. Imagine different traps for enemies with this turf. The slowdown penalty isnt a big issue with other players, a walking cane and other speed buff negate this.

• Like 1

x0-VERSUS-1y    4828
13 minutes ago, Nickolai said:

that part really isnt a valid argument, webbed turf is nothing like Wurt's swamp turf. The turf slows down enemies and mobs, which swamp turf doesn't. Webbed turf wouldn't be annoying in multiplayer since you can just craft a pitchfork and dig it up. With webbed turf you can make hound traps more useful since it would slow them down and guarantee to have the hound get hit instead of then skipping a few. Imagine different traps for enemies with this turf. The slowdown penalty isnt a big issue with other players, a walking cane and other speed buff negate this.

The principle is "affects speed of what is on it" - applies in both cases - rest are details.

• Confused 1

Theukon-dos    2429

While I do agree that Webber could use a rework, As others have said, Webber isn't *just* a spider. He's a boy inside of a spider. As such, It would make much more sense for a Webber rework to focus on that symbiosis than to focus on one half over the other

The obvious choice would be to give him structures and items that combine the inginuety and prowess of man with the Silk-weaving finesse of a Spider, But we've seen how that's worked before, so that wouldn't work.

Another option would be To give both halves perks that are augmented by the aditional half. For example, Webber used to be a farmer, So he could get farming-based perks that the spider half can help improve. For example, the spider could help weave temporary, but easy to set up barriers for routing animals into pens. It could weave temporary greenhouses to let crops grow during winter, or it could create mini spider dens to help deal with pests and increase crop growth rate. Meanwhile The spider half would benefit from the other halve's inginutity. Webber could make armor for spiders, or, like how Beekeepers place frames to guide bees in construction of there hive, Webber could build Scaffoldings to guide the spiders on how to build their nest. some scaffoldings might have a higher spider capacity but spawn them slower, some might cover a wider area in webs, heck, some could spawn new spider species entirely.

• Like 1

Mike23Ua    4188

I do not understand why some people want Webber Rework to focus on Boy half.. The child was swallowed Whole by a Spider, and almost all of his Human identity is lost to whatever the Spider has made him now.

Really the only thing that even references him as still being human are when he examines toys and trinkets and the likes, Such as toy Crocodile Hallowed Nights Trinket.

”Almost” Everything else is Referred to as “They, We, Us or Them.” Implying that he is not a BOY with Spider Powers.

(He’s not Spider-Man, He’s More like Venom.. )

Edited by Mike23Ua
And for Anyone who may not watch Marvel Movies or Read comic books for Whatever Reason.. VENOM Had more Control over The Humans Body, than the Human.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mike23Ua    4188
3 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Except that's not the case. He almost always talks for both himself and the spider (saying We most of the time referring to both persons that compose him). You don't see him acting like an animal or anything, either. As far as character interactions go, his relationship to the others seems to be just a regular boy with the look of a monster (which others do use against him when he's being dangerous in the case of PvP examinations). It's implied that Wickerbottom gives him some form of education and he does say he wants to be friends with and play with Wendy. His examination line for twigs asks if anyone wants to play stick swords with them (since like I said, he's talking about both himself and the spider).

If anything, he's more human than spider. He acts too much like a person to be considered a monster. He still very much has his human identity and many memories of his old life. I don't see how "almost all of human identity is lost to whatever the spider has made him now."

It’s a Hybrid. Have you watched the movie Venom?

Venom and Eddie Brock Co-Exist within the same Body. 

Which is why Webber references the Spider Half as We, Them, They Or Us.

I can’t find many quotes where he say I, Myself, Me, etc...

He Accepts the Spider as part of who he is now.

• Confused 2

Electroely    3616
Just now, Mike23Ua said:

It’s a Hybrid. Have you watched the movie Venom?

Venom and Eddie Brock Co-Exist within the same Body. 

Which is why Webber references the Spider Half as We, Them, They Or Us.

I can’t find many quotes where he say I, Myself, Me, etc...

He Accepts the Spider as part of who he is now.

Well, yeah, he does accept the spider as part of him, but his original identity was never lost like you said here:

24 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The child was swallowed Whole by a Spider, and almost all of his Human identity is lost to whatever the Spider has made him now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1