[DEPRECATED] [Tutorial] Making Custom Skins for Modded Characters!

Hornete

Hi! Pretty late to the discussion, but I have a quick question about this section of the tutorial; 

On 2/9/2020 at 3:57 PM, Hornete said:

Now that we made that clear, You're going to want to create... well your actual skin! If you've followed the Extended Character Template (Which i'm pretty sure you obviously have) you can simply download it again, or if you already have it, and then get your exported folder and start drawing your new skin!

What'd I reccomend is copying all your characters files over to this new exported folder and then start drawing your new pngs.

Would it work if I just duplicated the character folder already in my mod's exported folder, or do I need an entirely separate exported folder? :D

Edited by Buzzhive
To better explain myself

On 3/10/2021 at 8:48 PM, Buzzhive said:

Would it work if I just duplicated the character folder already in my mod's exported folder, or do I need an entirely separate exported folder? :D

Yup! You can just duplicate the character folder you've already got : )

• Like 1

Quick question, is there a way to check which skin is being used?
For context, I tried to hide and reveal part of a skin, but it messed up the other skin options.
self.inst.AnimState:OverrideSymbol("swap_body", "________", "swap_body")

It's using the default skin's swap_body sprite instead of the individual spite for each skin option.
I need to be able to detect what skin is currently being selected, and being able to designate which of the skin's swap_body spites would be a bonus.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:59 AM, ExulTYY said:

Hello! I did everything as in the tutorial, but my game simply closes once i try making a world. I hope somebody answers! Thanks!

hey, do you have a copy of the file download to the skin.lua file that was linked in the first post? the op deleted their account and i cannot dl this file at all because it keeps saying it isn't found fsr, so i can't take a look at it and can't tell you how to help fix this. 

Edited by basketspace
needed to add more info

19 hours ago, basketspace said:

hey, do you have a copy of the file download to the skin.lua file that was linked in the first post? the op deleted their account and i cannot dl this file at all because it keeps saying it isn't found fsr, so i can't take a look at it and can't tell you how to help fix this. 

The only file you need to download is still linked on the first post here https://forums.kleientertainment.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=331572

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

This guide worked great however my console keeps reporting this error

image.png.501e8f9b375aa68dce39ebcd15605d99.png

My character is not a werebeaver so any ideas what this means? @Hornete

It's nothing to worry about, there was an old bug way long ago where werebeaver could just turn invisible at random times, and this was related to skin mode stuff, for your character it will not matter.

• Thanks 1

Hello @Hornete, I ran into a rather weird problem after following your guide and reading all the posts in this thread. Firstly, I assume your file in the OP is up to date? If not, then I guess I know what the problem is. But anyway, I have a character mod with only one skin. And after lots of trial and error, I got everything to work except for his default skin's big portrait...

Capture.thumb.PNG.bc1632b101c986a5ecfcd6bdd6413656.PNG

No idea what the issue is, as I think I named all the files and paths and all that correctly, but please let me know what, if anything, you need me to show you and I will.

Thank you if you read this and can help!

48 minutes ago, Garamonde said:

Hello @Hornete, I ran into a rather weird problem after following your guide and reading all the posts in this thread. Firstly, I assume your file in the OP is up to date? If not, then I guess I know what the problem is. But anyway, I have a character mod with only one skin. And after lots of trial and error, I got everything to work except for his default skin's big portrait...

Capture.thumb.PNG.bc1632b101c986a5ecfcd6bdd6413656.PNG

No idea what the issue is, as I think I named all the files and paths and all that correctly, but please let me know what, if anything, you need me to show you and I will.

Thank you if you read this and can help!

Can you share your tex and xml files for the portrait? Are they being loaded in the assets table?

• Like 1

capn.xmlcapn.tex

I assume you mean the ones for the portrait that isn't working. Here you go! (Also apologies for the ping)

Here's what my ASSETS table looks like:

Assets = {
    Asset( "IMAGE", "images/saveslot_portraits/capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/saveslot_portraits/capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/selectscreen_portraits/capn_silho.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/selectscreen_portraits/capn_silho.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "bigportraits/capn_alt.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "bigportraits/capn_alt.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/map_icons/capn.tex" ),
	Asset( "ATLAS", "images/map_icons/capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/avatar_capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/avatar_capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/avatar_ghost_capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/avatar_ghost_capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/avatars/self_inspect_capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/avatars/self_inspect_capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/names_capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/names_capn.xml" ),

Asset( "IMAGE", "images/names_gold_capn.tex" ),
    Asset( "ATLAS", "images/names_gold_capn.xml" ),

Asset( "SOUNDPACKAGE", "sound/capn.fev" ),
    Asset( "SOUND", "sound/capn.fsb" ),

Edit: Not sure why the indenting came out like that...

Edited by Garamonde
  • Like 1

unknown.png

UPDATE: I got it to work! I simply had to rename all the default big portrait files to be appended with "_none"...which I thought I tried already and it didn't work. But I digress. I'm just happy it works now. Thank you for your attention!

• Big Ups 1