Hornete

Making Custom Skins for Modded Characters! [Tutorial]

ADM    4023

Oh well, I was wondering if I'll have the opportunity to make skins for Wirlywings properly one day, I'm very proud of your work, thanks you so much ! :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hornete    2774
24 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

What's the difference between this and: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835602689

I haven't done anything with either yours or his, but seems like recreating a wheel if one already exists.

Well, besides the mod apparently needing updated?  Hah, it might be broken I 'unno.

That mod is broken :p

• Haha 1

Chris1448    13057
32 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

What's the difference between this and: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835602689

I haven't done anything with either yours or his, but seems like recreating a wheel if one already exists.

Well, besides the mod apparently needing updated?  Hah, it might be broken I 'unno.

The original modded skins is taking a while to update, it's broken rn. Also this one doesn't seem to be on the workshop.

• Thanks 1

Just a small thing I wanna say, you can give the _none skin a description just like the other skins.

Also, I wanna ask what are the Skin Tags that calls the other icons. I tried looking at how the official skins are titled, but it didn't help.

• Like 1

Hornete    2774
On 2/19/2020 at 1:56 AM, icantevenname said:

Just a small thing I wanna say, you can give the _none skin a description just like the other skins.

Also, I wanna ask what are the Skin Tags that calls the other icons. I tried looking at how the official skins are titled, but it didn't help.

Here ya' go

"COSTUME" --Hallowed nights
"HALLOWED" -ALso hallowed nights
"VICTORIAN" - Gorge
"LAVA" - Gladiator and Magmatic
"ICE" - Snowfallen
"ROSE" - Roseate
"SHADOW" - Triumphant
"SURVIVOR" - Survivor
"YULE" -Merry maker

Tell me if there's any im missing!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ultroman    689

This is great! Stealing this for the tutorial collection ;)

BTW, how do these skins jive with character transformations? Like wereform, beastform, whatever...This old tutorial doesn't support skins, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hornete    2774
6 minutes ago, Ultroman said:

This is great! Stealing this for the tutorial collection ;)

BTW, how do these skins jive with character transformations? Like wereform, beastform, whatever...This old tutorial doesn't support skins, right?

You'll need to do something like this,

inst.components.skinner:SetSkinMode("werewilba_skin")

This sets the different skins modes, and if we go to our skin prefabs here

table.insert(prefabs, CreatePrefabSkin("wilba_victorian",
{
	base_prefab = "wilba",
	build_name_override = "wilba_victorian",
	type = "base",
	rarity = "Elegant",
	rarity_modifier = "Woven",
	skip_item_gen = true,
	skip_giftable_gen = true,
	skin_tags = { "BASE", "WILBA", "VICTORIAN"},
	skins = {
		normal_skin = "wilba_victorian",
		werewilba_skin = "werewilba",
		transform_skin = "werewilba_transform",
		ghost_skin = "ghost_wilba_build",
	},
	assets = {
		Asset( "ANIM", "anim/wilba_victorian.zip" ),
		Asset( "ANIM", "anim/werewilba.zip" ),
		Asset( "ANIM", "anim/werewilba_transform.zip" ),
		Asset( "ANIM", "anim/ghost_wilba_build.zip" ),
	},
}))

Usually, the skinmode is "normal_skin", but for Wilba in my mod and Woodie in the game, they set the skin mode to something like "werewilba_skin", which will then change the characters form to whatever build you set as your "werewilba_skin"

I hope that makes sense, haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ultroman    689
1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I hope that makes sense, haha

Absolutely stellar information right there, m8! Thanks :)

• Like 2

Hello!

So I'm Trying to make a skin and I get this error when I load the character (this is the final test. all the art is done. I even have the swap icon!) I used the extended character template to test the artwork as I've gone along. I've changed all the names and I'm unsure what the problem is. I know that the code consistetly fails at this line

constructor(self, ...)

in the segment..

local function DoAddClassPostConstructBefore(classdef, postfn)
    local constructor = classdef._ctor
    classdef._ctor = function (self, ...)
        postfn(self, ...) --Put our post init BEFORE kleis code
        constructor(self, ...)
    end
end

the error is below. I would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

image.png

• Like 1

Hornete    2774
1 hour ago, ILikeHoneyBees said:

snip

In the CreatePrefabSkin functions you have, do you have this line?

type = "base"

Your game will crash if you do not have this line and thatd the likely cause of why you are crashing.

15 hours ago, Hornete said:

In the CreatePrefabSkin functions you have, do you have this line?

type = "base"

Your game will crash if you do not have this line and thatd the likely cause of why you are crashing.

I did have that. but some of my names were wrong XD. I fixed that and I got to the character outfit area. the skin did register. but when I selected it the art files wern't showing up. I switched out the animation files to the ones from my test character (ECT with the skin's art files) and put them in. I then noticed that the portrait art was showing the default for both the none skin and the skin I'm trying to make. so I went and checked the coding and changed the asset files to a file just called (I'll just use CharacterName for now. but that's not what it was actally called, it was called zeta. you see, I'm not the person who made the mod. While I am in contact with them as I'm making it and have their premission) CharacterName. to CharacterName_none. I then tested the files and noiticed the game crashed over the missing .tex and .xml files. I replaced them and, well. now the game just closes without an error. I checked the logs and this is what I got right at the end. I've taken the exported folder out so the base art files arn't in the mod folder anymore. 

image.thumb.png.953e67d66765420fdb3f79265d597015.png

it's the last line. I get that consistenly. I've tried with other characters that have used this turtoiral it works. but I'm usure what I have done wrong. this keeps showing up. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Hornete    2774
10 minutes ago, ILikeHoneyBees said:

[snip]

image.thumb.png.8cd8ca8cd3424aef52b1e3631750945b.png
Looks like you didn't rename that file, Make sure its renamed to "zeta_rose"

13 minutes ago, Hornete said:

image.thumb.png.8cd8ca8cd3424aef52b1e3631750945b.png
Looks like you didn't rename that file, Make sure its renamed to "zeta_rose"

I didn't even think about that! I'll give it a try now and let you know the results! :D thanks so much for the help by the way. I've been waiting since late September to do this!

• Like 1

Okay so I made a really bad mistake and now I had to go back and re-insert the programming. now I've gotten this error and I'm not sure what's wrong. have any advice?

image.thumb.png.35b17154e53369c5b4d1de1ffbc6d6ce.png

image.thumb.png.911fd72b0b8d20cc2be518913f021505.png

Here is the log as well. I don't know if that helps

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hornete said:

May you show me the zeta_none file?

here ya go

local assets =
{
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/zeta.zip" ),
    Asset( "ANIM", "anim/ghost_zeta_build.zip" ),
}

local skins =
{
    normal_skin = "zeta",
    ghost_skin = "ghost_zeta_build",
}

local base_prefab = "zeta"

local tags = {"ZETA", "CHARACTER"}

return CreatePrefabSkin("zeta_none",
{
    base_prefab = base_prefab,
    skins = skins,
    assets = assets,
    tags = tags,

skip_item_gen = true,
})

--Hornet: This is how I did my skins prefab file!, Obviously youll need to change all instances of wilba to your characters prefab name
local prefabs = {}

table.insert(prefabs, CreatePrefabSkin("zeta_none", --This skin is the regular default skin we have, You should already have this
{
    base_prefab = "zeta", --What Prefab are we skinning? The character of course!
    build_name_override = "zeta",
    type = "base", --Hornet: Make sure you have this here! You should have it but ive seen some character mods with out
    rarity = "Character",
    skip_item_gen = true,
    skin_tags = { "BASE", "ZETA", },
    skins = {
        normal_skin = "zeta_none",      --These are your skin modes here, now you should have 2. But I actually have 4 for WIlba! Due to her werewilba form and transformation animation
        ghost_skin = "ghost_zeta_build",
    },
    assets = {
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/zeta.zip" ), --Self-explanatory, these are the assets your character is using!
    },

}))

table.insert(prefabs, CreatePrefabSkin("zeta_rose", --Now heres the fun part, Our skin! I did "wilba_victorian" but you can do whatever skin set you want!
{
    base_prefab = "zeta",
    build_name_override = "zeta_rose", --The build name of your new skin,
    type = "base",
    rarity = "Elegant", --I did the Elegant Rarity, but you can do whatever rarity you want!
    rarity_modifier = "Woven", --Ive put the rarity_modifier to Woven, Doesnt make a difference other than say youve woven the skin
    skip_item_gen = true,
    skin_tags = { "BASE", "ZETA", "ROSE"}, --Notice in this skin_tags table I have "VICTORIAN", This tag actually makes the little gorge icon show up on the skin! Other tags will do the same thing such as forge, yotc, yotp, yotv, yog and so on!
    skins = {
        normal_skin = "zeta_rose", --Rename your "normal_skin" accordingly

ghost_skin = "ghost_zeta_build", --And if you did a ghost skin, rename that too!
    },

assets = {
        Asset( "ANIM", "anim/zeta_rose.zip" ),
    },

}))

--If youd like to make more skins, simply copy the CreatePrefabSkin function and accordingly make new skins you want!

return unpack(prefabs)