Sign in to follow this  
Neotuck

Hot Water vs Valves and Sleet Wheat V2 (TEST)

psusi    188

It seems good on its face but the tempshift plates still may be pulling the heat out of the water in the farm tiles before it is deleted.  I'd say forgo the tempshift plates just to make sure that isn't doing anything and heck even screw the wheeze warts and instead just start with a tank full of a fixed amount of fixed temperature coolant going through radiant pipes above the plants with a one tile gap between the pipes and the farm tiles to make sure they can't be pulling heat out of the water before it is deleted.

Also maybe rather than raising the temperature of the incoming water over time, stick with fixed temperature water that maybe isn't so hot... like 40 C instead of 95 C.  And I'm not so sure about the ability of pipes to evenly split the flow of water so stick with one valve per hydroponic tile.  That's how I used to grow briistle berries and I'm certain when I added the one valve per tile to limit the water flow it made temperature management much easier.

Neotuck    2,206
4 minutes ago, psusi said:

It seems good on its face but the tempshift plates still may be pulling the heat out of the water in the farm tiles before it is deleted.

I did try without tempshift plates but they heated up too fast, I don't see any signs of heat deletion.  With the tempshift plates the heat is getting absorbed with the wheezeworts

9 minutes ago, psusi said:

and I'm not so sure about the ability of pipes to evenly split the flow of water so stick with one valve per hydroponic tile.

In my last test that made no difference, the temperatures remained even 

psusi    188
19 hours ago, Neotuck said:

In my last test that made no difference, the temperatures remained even 

As long as you keep an eye on the hydroponic tiles and see that they do not end up with water sitting in them that that should cover that base.

Zarquan    777

I am personally happy to not feel obliged to put valves in my farms.  It's a hassle which I would only do if there was a significant benefit.

• Like 1

Neotuck    2,206
59 minutes ago, psusi said:

As long as you keep an eye on the hydroponic tiles and see that they do not end up with water sitting in them that that should cover that base.

Trust me I did, the only time they filled up is when the plant wilted 

Oozinator    2,568
1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

I would be interested in results of:
Is your experiment giving out same numbersz, when you run it offscreen (far away) and only watch it while paused, going offscreen and then unpausing?

^^

Nitroturtle    633
17 hours ago, Neotuck said:

When I tried this in the past, I had difficulty keeping the hydroponic tiles from filling up when the plants were ready for harvest.  I'm curious if you have some trick to avoid this issue.

beowulf2010    572
6 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

When I tried this in the past, I had difficulty keeping the hydroponic tiles from filling up when the plants were ready for harvest.  I'm curious if you have some trick to avoid this issue.

The best option is probably a carefully calculated water timer. There's a couple old threads I can't find about no dupe farming. There was some good information in those about timers and calculating resource usage.

Maybe someone else will have those threads bookmarked. I couldn't find it in a quick Google search. 

Neotuck    2,206
1 hour ago, Nitroturtle said:

'Ready to harvest' crops absorb the same amount of water/dirt as the growth periods

If this was a problem before, it must have been patched

Nitroturtle    633
1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

'Ready to harvest' crops absorb the same amount of water/dirt as the growth periods

If this was a problem before, it must have been patched

It's quite possible I'm remembering it incorrectly, as it was some while ago.  Regardless, thanks for explanation.