Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

meepmoop

2 questions | salt formation and birdcage seed chance

Recommended Posts

meepmoop    230

1. What are the hostile fish that found around salt formations? Those that jump on the ship and create holes in it?

couldnt find info in the wiki. How do you usually deal with them and how do they work?

2. I read in a lot of places (google, wiki) that giving a bird to eat a vegetable/fruit gives 1-2 seeds. What is the distribution between getting 1 or 2?

It is written there is 50% chance to get regular seed but there is no mention as to what the chance to get 1 specific seed or 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlZalph    4146

1) Cookie cutters.  Just smack 'em with a pointy thing and they'll die before they cut holes into your cookie boat.

2) From scripts/prefabs/birdcage.lua:76-85:

            --If the food has a relavent seed type:
                --Spawn 1 or 2 of those seeds.
            local num_seeds = math.random(2)
            for k = 1, num_seeds do
                inst.components.lootdropper:SpawnLootPrefab(seed_name)
            end
                --Spawn regular seeds on a 50% chance.
            if math.random() < 0.5 then
                inst.components.lootdropper:SpawnLootPrefab("seeds")
            end

So 50% chance on getting 2 seeds of the item given, and another 50% roll for getting a generic seed; independent rolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
meepmoop    230
4 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

1) Cookie cutters.  Just smack 'em with a pointy thing and they'll die before they cut holes into your cookie boat.

2) From scripts/prefabs/birdcage.lua:76-85:


            --If the food has a relavent seed type:
                --Spawn 1 or 2 of those seeds.
            local num_seeds = math.random(2)
            for k = 1, num_seeds do
                inst.components.lootdropper:SpawnLootPrefab(seed_name)
            end
                --Spawn regular seeds on a 50% chance.
            if math.random() < 0.5 then
                inst.components.lootdropper:SpawnLootPrefab("seeds")
            end

So 50% chance on getting 2 seeds of the item given, and another 50% roll for getting a generic seed; independent rolls.

1. The thing is they started drilling my boat and when I attacked them they returned damage and I couldnt see attack animation or anything (like you can with other mobs). I just attacked them and I got hurt like they are spiked twigs or cactus being picked. I died because of that.

2. ok so I get the seeds point now. another thing about farming though: wormwood's planted seeds take 4 days to grow acording to the wikipedia, while normal farm plots growth time depends on day time/rain. Is it misinformation in the wiki? or does wormwood's seeds really take 4 days no matter what (rain, season, daytime)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunk Mujunk    1811
3 hours ago, meepmoop said:

The thing is they started drilling my boat and when I attacked them they returned damage and I couldnt see attack animation or anything

In my experience a Tentacle Spike or stronger is enough to 1 hit kill them I think. There is also the possibility that a pack will agro you once you engage 1. Its honestly been a while since I've melee combated them, now a days I use a boomerang to push them back and allow me to access salt formations.

I think I remember it being best to just wait at the boat edge they are approaching and just smashing the attack button. It seemed to work well for packs of 1-4, but past that I would consider escaping to a new boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Variant    5666
3 hours ago, meepmoop said:

1. The thing is they started drilling my boat and when I attacked them they returned damage and I couldnt see attack animation or anything (like you can with other mobs). I just attacked them and I got hurt like they are spiked twigs or cactus being picked. I died because of that.

 

Hitting them in itself doesn't hurt you, but when you hit them they stop chewing and go into an attack state where they wiggle around and deal damage.
It's safest to tank it as kiting could get weird, they're drawn to wooden items and prefer to eat whatever's floating in the water before biting into your boat, so keep that in mind.
Usually hitting one in/near the water scares the others away but don't rely on it.
Darts and other ranged weapons could help scare them away. Taming a Gnarwail and bringing them over will let them kill the Cookie Cutters and throw whatever is in the water (M-meat, shells, salt ex) onto your boat so that should help you keep your distance too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CarlZalph    4146
14 hours ago, meepmoop said:

2. ok so I get the seeds point now. another thing about farming though: wormwood's planted seeds take 4 days to grow acording to the wikipedia, while normal farm plots growth time depends on day time/rain. Is it misinformation in the wiki? or does wormwood's seeds really take 4 days no matter what (rain, season, daytime)?

One day takes 480 seconds, and seeds take TUNING.SEEDS_GROW_TIME time which is 1800 seconds.  So 3.75 whole in-game days to be more precise than the wiki.  Seeds do not have a grower component, nor does the world facilitate it for when seeds get planted- the grower component is affected by weather and other things such as the richness of the soil.  So Woodworm's seeds aren't affected by them.  On the plus side he can plant them wherever, more compactly, and without resources rather than using a farm plot which has all of those downsides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rinkusan    1009

Cookie cutters are actually fairly easy to kite if you just completely ignore their attack animation. All you really need to know is that as soon as you whack them once, they will stop drilling and swipe at you immediately. Just dodge that one single attack, and you should be able to finish it off.

Cookie cutters only have 100hp, so you can either straight-up kill them with 2 hits using a fresh ham bat/tentacle spike/dark sword, or you can hit once with a spear, dodge, and then finish it off with 2 hits. 

I went ahead and did a brief recording to show you what I'm talking about.

https://streamable.com/v7c8o

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
leafstale    13

You can teleport cookie cutters around the world with a telegraph staff, they wo n’t spawn near salt until you encounter them again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites